Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

Does anyone have any longer distance photos of the TV's? I'm still tossing up between the 40" and 46" and I'd like to see one in someone's living room rather than in a store where sizing can become confusing when you have so many TV's around you. I think I will stick with the 40" but just want to see...

Does anyone have any longer distance photos of the TV's? I'm still tossing up between the 40" and 46" and I'd like to see one in someone's living room rather than in a store where sizing can become confusing when you have so many TV's around you. I think I will stick with the 40" but just want to see...

http://www.users.on.net/~ltra4/IMG_0545.jpg

or

http://www.users.on.net/~ltra4/IMG_0544.jpg

looks like this could be a problem with vista drivers.

for the life of me i just cant set teh exact timings the TV wants on page 54 adn because of that i also dont get just scan mode option.

i NEVER get teh PC option and i also can only get home thetre option on a certain res aswell

could be the driver version i am using perhaps but they are teh latest nvidia for vista

Check page 54 of the manual for the precise pixel frequencies. What are your pixel frequencies now? Your graphics card seems adequate for the task.

My card has overscan compensation. Perhaps yours is set to On? If so, definitely need to turn it off.

As long as HDMI is plugged in it should allow Just Scan to be slected, no matter what the screen size setting on the graphics card.

ok some newer drivers came out a few days ago at guru3d.com ( beta )

problem fixed. i installed those, set 1920x1080. brought up the menu and jus tscan was finally there

all is perfect no more green line :blink:

Jaggies? Jagged Edges, not smooth??

Yeah edges are not smooth, in fight night 3 on xbox360 .. maybe it's always beeen there... i'll try again tonight with vga vs component... but like i said, xbox360 & samsung M8 isn't working with 1920*1080! waiting for firmware fix. Doesn't VGA support 1080p natively? Whereas component needs to be upscaled?

Yeah edges are not smooth, in fight night 3 on xbox360 .. maybe it's always beeen there... i'll try again tonight with vga vs component... but like i said, xbox360 & samsung M8 isn't working with 1920*1080! waiting for firmware fix. Doesn't VGA support 1080p natively? Whereas component needs to be upscaled?

Both component and VGA support 1080p natively...

I've found that if you physically have the space for it, it may stuck out like dogs balls for a while becuase it's shiny and new. But after 6 weeks you won't notice it and you might even wish you got something bigger...

alistair you could get the measurements from the website, and find a similar box of that size and put it where u intend... hehehe... since a box is quite intrusive looking. at first my 46" looked oversized in my small living room, felt like a cinema... but i'm still glad i got it... cos i 'like it a lot'. i will take pics later if i can figure out how to uplaod em here.. jason is right though, u get used to it... it's only been a night :blink: before long, u will need a 52"

ahh cool :D thx

alistair you could get the measurements from the website, and find a similar box of that size and put it where u intend... hehehe... since a box is quite intrusive looking. at first my 46" looked oversized in my small living room, felt like a cinema... but i'm still glad i got it... cos i 'like it a lot'. i will take pics later if i can figure out how to uplaod em here.. jason is right though, u get used to it... it's only been a night :blink: before long, u will need a 52"

The problem is that I'm not in my new apartment until May 21 so I am not sure of the space! I contacted the existing tenant who has a 40" and he said it's massive - so I might stick with what I have already ordered.

Yep, even the 52” will look small after a while.

Very few big screen TV owners buy the same size screen when they upgrade, because they know that they can go bigger without any worry of the screen being too big.

I went from a 43” to a 57” and soon found the 57” to small at 2.8 meters

I have since gone to a 70” and got used to it in less then a day.

2.35:1 wide aspect movies are still too small at 2.8 meters.

If you can afford it, buy the largest screen you can, you wont be sorry.

LOL owen... just sounded really funny when you went from 43" to massive 57" THEN now to 70" :blink:

But I agree with you.

I have not one regret going for 46" over 40"... it represented the bbest price point for me... from 46" to 52" would've costed too much... 46" was a little more than i wanted to spend, but I'm still glad i spent it.

Anyone wanting to see pics, I have some now. Just private msg me your email and I can send to you, cos I don't know how to post em up here. It shows an 68cm TV before vs the 46"... It does not look overly huge in the pics, in fact, it looks just about right. It looks oversized in person though when u sit in front of it... but I'm getting used to it... it feels so luxurious

LOL owen... just sounded really funny when you went from 43" to massive 57" THEN now to 70" :blink:

But I agree with you.

I have not one regret going for 46" over 40"... it represented the bbest price point for me... from 46" to 52" would've costed too much... 46" was a little more than i wanted to spend, but I'm still glad i spent it.

Anyone wanting to see pics, I have some now. Just private msg me your email and I can send to you, cos I don't know how to post em up here. It shows an 68cm TV before vs the 46"... It does not look overly huge in the pics, in fact, it looks just about right. It looks oversized in person though when u sit in front of it... but I'm getting used to it... it feels so luxurious

My projector on my 8" screen is even bigger (looks like IMAX when you're 1.5 metres away), but I'm getting off topic.

Now I'd love a 1080p projector for the price I paid for my Sammy...

Quick question...

You HTPC guys, are you running DVI --> HDMI or does your graphics card output HDMI ?

Also how are you getting sound from the HTPC to your Sammy?

Thanks.

DVI and HDMI use the same data format you video, only the connector and ability to carry sound over HDMI are different. DVI can also support HDCP, just like HDMI.

You only need an adapter cable to use video.

Quick question...

You HTPC guys, are you running DVI --> HDMI or does your graphics card output HDMI ?

Also how are you getting sound from the HTPC to your Sammy?

Thanks.

As per my signature

Graphics Card-EN7600GT PCI-E with true HDMI and HDCP

About 99% of the time I have the speakers off since my Home Theatre system more than shits on the tiny speakers in the TV.

Fight night 3 is a launch title, so may just be that way..I will test FN3 on my VGA I've not played it on the VGA cable however I'm running on a dell 27" LCD..soon to change :blink:

Just curious when choosing the resolution on the VGA cable/360 setup screen if 1980x1080 means that it's running at full 1080P?

Fight night 3 is a launch title, so may just be that way..I will test FN3 on my VGA I've not played it on the VGA cable however I'm running on a dell 27" LCD..soon to change :blink:

Just curious when choosing the resolution on the VGA cable/360 setup screen if 1980x1080 means that it's running at full 1080P?

There should be interlaced and progressive as options.

Mini Review of 40 Inch LA40M81BDX

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdt...atures#contrast

I picked up this two days ago and some old timers will remember me being very active on this forum about 2 years ago but I gave up. Well things have changed now. 1080p LCD is now affordable (this was $3150 with free delivery in NSW). The PQ compared to plasma is a mixed bag. The HD is definitely better/sharper (no screen door) the extended colour range backlight says 105%PAL but the black crush is still present from the CR of the panel (1200:1static, 15,000:1 Dynamic). It draws a tiny 124Watts and thats half what a 42" plasma draws (no fans, no noise, bugger all heat).

firstly the items u are after! pictures:

http://www.rotarydesign.com/spin/sammy.html

Build quality is excellent. Samsung make a product well. Its was surprisingly light however. The screen seems to have a plastic coating over it (the shiny stuff!). The black case is very shiny but this has a big downside. Its a magnet for dust! If anybody has ideas for coating it to prevent this (say amorall or solargard etc) let me know. Sammy give 3 years wty standard.

This TV is jacked to a media centre (AMD x64, nvidia 7900GS-TV, Nvidia mx4400-Panel, Media Portal) using a HDMI to DVI cable from Jaycar electronics $40. The manual says to use port 2 for PC (DVI) connections. When I connected first, the PC sensed the monitor as "Samsung" and auto worked. No messing with powerstrip etc and was able to use "just scan" for exact 1920x1080. I also have the absolute latest nvidia reference drivers loaded (96.x from memory). However on reboot it 'forgot' the TV and I had to install powerstrip to get it back - Bah, bloody windows & PCs (trust me, buy a mac@!)

Anyways, the media portal is a dream and I was able to play all the 1080p samples on the web. Its funny you know - i can now see flaws in a lot of the 1080 samples because its so sharp. Shows that started as Film and were digitised show all the typical scratches and spots of film. brilliant! I cant convey how impressed I am at playing 1080p material. Its breathless. Bring on bloo ray & HDDVD!

Something most may not realise is that the TV setup is unique for each input (mostly). This means the HDMI settings are independent to regular DTV or Analog TV settings. While on DTV, I had to read the manual as the set on first start decided to auto setup for Analog. Annoying, but I found out u need to hit a button on the remote and re tune DTV instead. This worked flawlessly and i got perfect reception on all the HD channels (something my fusion plus card could never do (that brand DVB is crap IMOP)

Inputs/Outputs.

yep, the BDX has 3 THREE HDMIs. 2 on the back and one on the side (see piccys). Otherwise, you could say it has everything you need and then some.

Fast animation and 8ms. I cant see any bluring on this set. It was in the shop next to XBR2 (current sony 40" 1080) and the sony was showing blur on fast moving material. I believe its because this has the next gen screen in it (same as XBR3 out in states now). Im sure sony will catch up some time in OZ....

Blacks and 15000:1. - THis set can go black, REAL black. Match a pio plasma black. I cant fault it here. However it has trouble with shades of black (black crush). This is inherent with all lcds. Only the new sharp 46 and 52 were better in this regard but i didnt want such a big (or expensive) screen. Sharp 42 was a very average IMOP.

For review part 2

colour calibrating (firstly experimenting with TV defaults, then creating an ICC profile with a calibration tool)

PC games - FPS at 40" drool drool -

measuring lcd lag with pixelperan

checkin for pixels with dead pixel buddy (cant see any with the naked eye so far)

There should be interlaced and progressive as options.

Over VGA, my XBOX only has 1920*1080... doesn't have options for interlaced and progressive... but isn't VGA output progressive anyway? IF you manage to get it working on 1920*1080 over VGA cable, please let me know, cos it doesn't work on mine.

Yeah probbaly cos Fight Night is older.. Newer games like Virtua Tennis 3 had no jaggies with 1080p over component :D

Pete, nice review mate :P Looking forward to your calibration section. Nice pics also btw! P.S. does it make the TV go faster if you leave the 1080p stickers on? :blink: j/k

I tried these settings, but things look a bit too "green" for me...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/2007/04/22/...m86bd-settings/

Now that it's night, i'm going to give it a shot myself

Welcome to the group of happy Sammy 1080p owners and the delights of crystal video clarity.

From what you've said there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference to the old LA40F71BX. The main difference I've noticed by quickly reading the manual are built in HDTV Tuner (of course), extra HDMI input on the side, Movie Mode in the Picture settings and now glossy coating over screen.

The only downside is the glossy coat, which would make viweing during the day a nightmare (pardon the mixed metaphors) with all the reflections. Haven't seen one in a daylit room yet and would be interested on any reports about the new shiny screen coating.

Dude. You are so Da Man. Thank you so much for this - this is exactly the sort of stuff I'm after (the units are still a week or so away from being available in NZ). I believe we aren't getting the BDX units but BX ones instead (which is a shame as we miss out on the HD tuner, and just when we've had our very first digital stations launched last week!) but otherwise the specs should be the same. So everyone's thoughts on these are really appreciated.

Really looking forward to your part 2 on pixel lag, dropped frames and colour calibration!

Thanks again!

CB

Over VGA, my XBOX only has 1920*1080... doesn't have options for interlaced and progressive... but isn't VGA output progressive anyway? IF you manage to get it working on 1920*1080 over VGA cable, please let me know, cos it doesn't work on mine.

Pete, nice review mate :D Looking forward to your calibration section. Nice pics also btw! P.S. does it make the TV go faster if you leave the 1080p stickers on? :blink: j/k

narr, not faster, but it does piss off my mates with SD plasmas a LOT! hehehe

PS VGA connections dont mandate either interlace or non. They support both (but progressive is the norm) and a wide range of resolutions.

Welcome to the group of happy Sammy 1080p owners and the delights of crystal video clarity.

From what you've said there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference to the old LA40F71BX. The main difference I've noticed by quickly reading the manual are built in HDTV Tuner (of course), extra HDMI input on the side, Movie Mode in the Picture settings and now glossy coating over screen.

The only downside is the glossy coat, which would make viweing during the day a nightmare (pardon the mixed metaphors) with all the reflections. Haven't seen one in a daylit room yet and would be interested on any reports about the new shiny screen coating.

What you say is true but the screen was def a generation better than the SonyX (and thus the previous sammy). I didnt see that soft blur on fast animation like the previous models (and most LCDs before this one). The blacks seemed much better than the current X too.

One thing that does annoy me is the default setup with DINE and all the image crap. I find faces show natural sometimes, red sometimes and washed out sometimes. I look forward to turning all that crap off

. 1080p LCD is now affordable (this was $3150 with free delivery in NSW). The PQ compared to plasma is a mixed bag. The HD is definitely better/sharper (no screen door) the extended colour range backlight says 105%PAL but the black crush is still present from the CR of the panel (1200:1static, 15,000:1 Dynamic). It draws a tiny 124Watts and thats half what a 42" plasma draws (no fans, no noise, bugger all heat).

firstly the items u are after! pictures:

http://www.rotarydesign.com/spin/sammy.html

Great review.....thank you. :blink:

Based not only on your comments and pics, but various website reviews and other home consumer reviews, I think we can say that if size, HDTV and versatility are one's priorities, then these new Samsung's are ace!!

What you say is true but the screen was def a generation better than the SonyX (and thus the previous sammy). I didnt see that soft blur on fast animation like the previous models (and most LCDs before this one). The blacks seemed much better than the current X too.

One thing that does annoy me is the default setup with DINE and all the image crap. I find faces show natural sometimes, red sometimes and washed out sometimes. I look forward to turning all that crap off

As soon as I found out how to get into the Service Menu and turn that sucker function off, I did and haven't been happier. Once it was off I didn't have to adjust the Colour Settings nor the Colour Manager nor Brightness levels (although Energy Saving is set to Medium). But dialed the Sharpness down to 0 and Contrast is 100.

WMVHD and 1080p Quicktime trailers look so sweeeeeeeet. :blink: