Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

well firmwares updates are created only if there are issues with the TV.. so unless samsung have found a fault with some part of the TV.. i see no reason why they should be releasing firmware fixes..

wt firmware fix are you after anyway ? any problem you have seen ?

Perhaps Samsung should release 1013 every week with an updated version number.

Thats bound to keep the update must be better boys happy.

A very happy camper on 1008.

HDrocks: :huh:

Finally my 50" Q9 arrived yesterday. Initially I had ordered it through retravision by paying $1850 (initially I had paid $1890 to them and afterwords got $40 back for price match). That set arrived last sat and screen was completely broken (cracks all over), so retravision guys took it back immediately (Yes, instead of delivery guy, 2 salesman from retravision came to deliver my TV and so they opened fox for me). As it was last unit in their store, I asked for full refund to avoid any further delays in del. Then I got 50" Q9 from Good Guys and bcoz of my retravision receipt of $1850 they beat this price and offered me this unit at $1830 :)

Yesterday I got my set and it is absolutely amazing, brilliant PQ. I've set constrast and brightness below 50 as per suggestions in this forum but picture looks little dark to me. Does it really matter if I increase contrast above 50 during first 200 hr runtime of this plasma or shud I keep it under 50 only during run? picture also looks little soft to me as I've set sharpness to 0

I'm new to this plasma world... I need some advise on blu ray player.. Currently I've attached my old cheap DVD player (brand - JMK) which is non-HDMI. Considering this TV is not full HD plasma, will there be any difference in PQ if use blu ray player? I'm sure thr will be but will it be drastic diff in PQ with blu ray player (or upscaling DVD player) than my current non-hdmi DVD player? I'll appreciate if someone can tell me code for this DVD player which I can set with my TV remote (JMK brand is not mentioned in the list of code for DVD)

Thanks,

cool_db

Edited by cool_db

Hi All

I havent checked into this thread for ages! I just recently recieved the 1013 firmware on USB in the mail installed it and am now very happy with the set although getting the update out of samsung took 3 calls and 4 weeks :(

Anyhow onto another subject does any one have their LCD connected to a media centre ? I have just recieved my new Vista Media centre and I am having a few issues the first being what screen res should I set the media centre to ? I currently have two black bars when watching TV or Bluray the Tv is a 46 F81 and the graphics card is Nvidia 8500GT Video Graphics Card 256mb

Also does the F81 recieve optical sound in ? I dont have a reciever/suround sound setup yet so I am currently just connecting the media centre directly to the LCD apparently I can output the sound via cox,analogue or optical I would assume optical would be the best quality but I dont know if the sammy can imput this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am a total newbie to this media centre stuff

Thanks in advance

Mel

Also does the F81 recieve optical sound in ? I dont have a reciever/suround sound setup yet so I am currently just connecting the media centre directly to the LCD apparently I can output the sound via cox,analogue or optical I would assume optical would be the best quality but I dont know if the sammy can imput this.

It can recieve digital sound via HDMI, but not optical (i believe), otherwise it can recieve sound via analog.

It can recieve digital sound via HDMI, but not optical (i believe), otherwise it can recieve sound via analog.

Thanks for that stux I had a feeling that might be the case pretty sure the media centre only passes video on the HDMI not Audio so I will have to go Analog for now

Mel

Hi All

I havent checked into this thread for ages! I just recently recieved the 1013 firmware on USB in the mail installed it and am now very happy with the set although getting the update out of samsung took 3 calls and 4 weeks :(

Anyhow onto another subject does any one have their LCD connected to a media centre ? I have just recieved my new Vista Media centre and I am having a few issues the first being what screen res should I set the media centre to ? I currently have two black bars when watching TV or Bluray the Tv is a 46 F81 and the graphics card is Nvidia 8500GT Video Graphics Card 256mb

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am a total newbie to this media centre stuff

Thanks in advance

Mel

If your video card has hdmi that will carry the audio.

As for resolution 1920 x 1080 and set tv to just scan.

The tv does not have optical in.

HDrocks: :D

OMG Has anyone seen the review in the latest APC mag. Our TV got a 5/10. The best was the pioneer and second best was the panasonic. The sony got a 6/10. I’m quite pissed off with this damn choice in TV, i should have gone plasma (Zero ghosting). I would recommend the panasonic, a mate at work has one and i think it’s better than the F8. Oh well no point in ****ing anymore, but have a look at the mag. One thing i need is to configure then damn tv properly. I tried the recommend settings in the forum but i noticed problems, ill have to get a damn calibration disc!

OMG Has anyone seen the review in the latest APC mag. Our TV got a 5/10. The best was the pioneer and second best was the panasonic. The sony got a 6/10. I’m quite pissed off with this damn choice in TV, i should have gone plasma (Zero ghosting). I would recommend the panasonic, a mate at work has one and i think it’s better than the F8. Oh well no point in ****ing anymore, but have a look at the mag. One thing i need is to configure then damn tv properly. I tried the recommend settings in the forum but i noticed problems, ill have to get a damn calibration disc!

So APC mag are now the self appointed experts on anything with a plug on the end of it.

You only have to read some of there PC reviews to realise what they are.

Let your own eyes tell you what is best.

HDrocks: :P

Does anyone know how to turn off the "MUTE" indication on the screen on the PS50P91FDX? Really annoying to have to turn the volume down instead of muting when using the external amp.

I had the same problem. But my Onkyo amplifier has a setting to turn off the ''audio out'' (ie It sends sound to the speakers, but not the TV)

See if your amplifier has that option.

Hi I have been looking into buying a new LCD TV and am stuck between the Samsung F8 or Sony Bravia X.

One thing I was wondering about the F8 is if it can support NTSC playback? I have the specifications downloaded and it says "Colour system PAL Multi" I see this as PAL only and I want to know if this is correct or not?

Also how people's experiences with Samsung service has been? I have a friend who would not buy form them because of bad service and problems getting part's so was wondering what other people have experienced.

Thanks In advance

Hi All

Does anyone have their media centre connected directly to the LCD and outputting sound throught the Tv speakers not via HDMI ? As I am still having

audio issues :( I connected the media centre to the Tv with a 3.5mm Stereo RCA 1 to 2 plug ie

HDMI and Audio Out (green jack) on PC -------> HDMI2 and DVI (red white) on TV

No sound also tried

HDMI and Audio Out (green jack) on PC -------> HDMI1 and DVI (red white) on TV

HDMI and Audio Out (green jack) on PC -------> HDMI1 and Audio LR on Component 1 on TV [knew this shouldn't work was desperate]

I know its not the media centre as I connected a pair of crappy PC speakers to the Audio out jack and it worked

Anyone have and ideas on what I'm doing wrong do I have the wrong cable ? or perhaps theres something in the sound menu I need to change ?

Meanwhile I did change the screen res to 1920x1080 60Hz within the media centre and know the TV signal looks great and is full screen size :)

Thanks in advance

Mel

Was meant to post this sooner after my first post.

JB-FI were very helpful with the replacement of my 46" F series. They organised a new replacement (surprised they had one in stock!) to be sent out immediately and they would get the courier to collect the busted one at no cost to me. Now that is service! The blokes on the phone were more then helpful.

AAEs service on the other hand left a lot to be desired.

Anyhow exactly 1 week after the first TV arrived I got the replacement and I am extremely happy with it. Haven't done a great deal with it yet but the HTPC is hooked up @ 1920*1080, Nintendo WII looks very nice even though only a 480 signal. Channel changing is smooth and the TV Guide is super fast compared to my brothers older model samsung.

Now all I have to do is wait for the free TV to rock up. I must say that the was Samsung have been handling the claim has also been more then expected. They have understood that a lot of us never got the TV until recently even though it was paid for before the cutoff date. Just as long as I get it really.

Originally I paid $3300 including the 5 year extended warranty back on the 25th of Feb. So yeah it took a while to get here!!

Going to try the firmware update this weekend.

Edited by Hyperion

Much Difference between them u reckon?

In terms of price, at least $400 to $500.

In terms of performance, the F8 is better. It has a little subwoofer at the back, higher contrast ration and a better panel, plus 100Hz (which doesn't work that well). Is it worth 25% more money for the 40" model ? I don't think so. It's wiser to spend $150 more than the N8 and get the M8.

In terms of price, at least $400 to $500.

In terms of performance, the F8 is better. It has a little subwoofer at the back, higher contrast ration and a better panel, plus 100Hz (which doesn't work that well). Is it worth 25% more money for the 40" model ? I don't think so. It's wiser to spend $150 more than the N8 and get the M8.

cool thanks.

been caught in 2 minds about this.

Hey

I was in the same situation and went for the M8 40' for the reasons already mentioned. Don't get me wrong the F8 is a great tv but I didn't believe it to be worth the extra money.

I'm very happy with my M8.

Cheers

Alex