Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

OK I am actually right in front of my 32" freebie... you press the D.MENU button, then go down one to the Channel menu, select Edit Favourite Channels, then you can use the Green button to re-order the favourites by "MOVE" a channel and then "DROP" it where you want it. As mentioned, i have mine ordered to go 2, 7, 70, 9, 90, 10, 12

Here is a link to the user manual on page 35 it shows the MOVE command, although stupidly the screenshot does not show them ordering their favourites to be in non-numeric order, however I can ASSURE you this IS possible

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Samsung Support Rep!

Edited by scarecrow420

was watching beowulf on SD DVD through S-Video

- Noticed ghosting when the picture is panning quickly. Tried turning motion flow from off, low, medium and high.. made no difference. (eg first few mins where the camera is moving around, after the pig is delivered onto the table, camera spins around and you will see ghosting around the ladies sitting at the table)

- Haven't tried on component as S-Video is giving a little bit better picture than component.

- I guess the ghosting hasn't been fixed.

Also noticed in geneneral that ghost trail is left eg. when credits are rolling (when on component but not so much on S-video). Or when screen saver is moving around, marks of the image are left on the black areas.

I guess this is a common thing with LCD?

Hi.. Today we bought 50" Q9 for $1890 in Brisbane :) I guess i got very good deal. Recently there is major price down for 50" Q9. Delivery will be in next week, hard 2 wait :( (extra $40 for del)

This forum seems to be very informative...

Cheers,

Cool_db

Thanks for checking the R series channel management Scarecrow, so I followed up to Samsung, quoting your post:

We may be talking at cross-purposes here.

To reiterate my original point- owners of this TV don't want to change the digital channel numbers, we are just looking to change the order in which channels appear when using the channel up / channel down buttons on the remote control.

My apologies, the R series model number quoted in my previous email was wrong. But here is a followup post from the same person, in reponse to a secific request from me to clarify the functionality:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1025024

Essentially, what he states, is that his R series TV allows him to set the order in which digital channels appear when you press channel up and down. That is all that I am looking for, nothing more. My can't the more expensive F series do this? The move / drop functions he describes from the R series manual, should be able to be added to the F series channel manager via a firmware update. For a TV that costs twice as much, is that too much to ask?

The previous link was not something I dug up from a google search and blindly quoted, but an ongoing discussion of the F series that I am involved in. I am not the only new owner in there who cannot understand how this functionality is absent.

Almost straight away, I got this back from Saumsung Tech Support:

You mean this thread.. "Patronising f**kers. Can anyone with a 32" or even a 26" R series confirm or deny that the channel management actually lets you re-order channels or not? Scarecrow, I quoted you originally, any thoughts?"

^Sorry you feel that way, As stated we have feed your suggestion back.. Software is created in Korea not Australia, limiting our ability to instigate features to being a feedback only path. We have done this for you. The f8 cannot order the channels, we suggest favourites, and we have feed the suggestion back, specifically for you.. We cannot do more than that, and ofcourse we did do that for you, we cannot do more as we don't programme the firmware for the AUS units,.. .

thankyou,.

Tech Support Team.

Haha, busted! Although I'd have to say that quoting my forum post back to me allowed them to neatly sidestep the fact that I had proven their original 'none of our TVs can do this' statement false.

i would reply and say thankyou for passing the feedback along but what do they have to say about the fact they previuosly said this was not possible on any of their tvs, yet this has now been proved to be incorrect. Do they not know anything about their own tvs, or were they just trying to fob you off

If you have a reference number or something, others of us could email in and quote the reference and say that we would also like that feature. What is the email address to send it to?

Guest mdelissa
i would reply and say thankyou for passing the feedback along but what do they have to say about the fact they previuosly said this was not possible on any of their tvs, yet this has now been proved to be incorrect. Do they not know anything about their own tvs, or were they just trying to fob you off

If you have a reference number or something, others of us could email in and quote the reference and say that we would also like that feature. What is the email address to send it to?

Seriously...what is the point of haranguing these tech guys. The F series DOESN'T order the channels. The fact that other models do is really irrelevant as the F series DOESN'T. You can argue all you want that they SHOULD - but they DON'T.

The tech guys CAN'T change this. They have little to no influence unfortunately. They are not the programmers. These guys sit on computers and field emails providing answers as per the advice they have been given. They help the ones they can help, If someone was asking you, in your line of work, to do something completely outside the scope of your responsibility / capabilities what would you do ?

Ideally I'd suggest trying to find an email address that is not tech support, but directed more at the PR section. If enough people complain to PR it is MUCH more likely to effect a change.

Hey good news,

well for me anyway - after 12 weeks and numerous phone calls to the promotion dept I was finally told that the bonus TV will be delivered this week, asking about the upgrade the answer was no, if you didn't get an e-mail then no upgrade "NO Soup for You". Went to the post office picked up the parcel and guess what 32" with no e-mail. Good to see that nothing has changed in the promo dept - "who's on first?"

Timing is everything I got the e-mail about the 32" 2 days after I picked it up - on ya Samsung

I don't know if this has been covered before but....

I've got an 52" M8 LCD and have a bit of a problem with PS3 @ 1080p.

It seems to be prone to "jittery" picture. I don't know how to explain it, but when I first start up the PS3 I get a bit of snow and jitters and then the TV seems to "lock into 1080p" and everything is fine (most of the time).

Occasionally though, if playing DVDs (upscaled) or games through the PS3, the picture seems to "jump" and "jitter" every now and again.

Is this a problem with the TV, PS3 or HDMI cable?

Any ideas?

I don't know if this has been covered before but....

I've got an 52" M8 LCD and have a bit of a problem with PS3 @ 1080p.

It seems to be prone to "jittery" picture. I don't know how to explain it, but when I first start up the PS3 I get a bit of snow and jitters and then the TV seems to "lock into 1080p" and everything is fine (most of the time).

Occasionally though, if playing DVDs (upscaled) or games through the PS3, the picture seems to "jump" and "jitter" every now and again.

Is this a problem with the TV, PS3 or HDMI cable?

Any ideas?

Most likely errors introduced by a bad cable connection. I have seen this before with HDMI, and think it is the same as what you are describing (at least the jumps). Try reseating the cable, running it away from power leads or even plugging it in around the other way, see if it improves.

Mind you it could be an internal connection in the TV or PS3 that has gone bad.....but check the cheaper option first! :)

just ordered the 58" P9 tonight for a reasonable price. however due to uncertainties with stock (currently out of stock and yet to confirm with samy), im considering changing this to a 63" P7. apart from size difference and err the price, what are people's opinions?

and would you say the price difference was worth it? thoughts please.

New to the forum, but I just bought a LA46F81BD LCD. Picture quality is fantastic and is even better than my M series.

I have a problem though and thought I'd check if anyone else out there has had a similar problem?

I find that when I turn the TV off, my picture settings all disappear and I am left with the factory dynamic picture settings (and a lot of others) that I really do not want to view.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would have thought a TV worth this sort of money would be able to hold my viewing preferences in it's memory.

Any ideas?

Paul Simon

New to the forum, but I just bought a LA46F81BD LCD. Picture quality is fantastic and is even better than my M series.

I have a problem though and thought I'd check if anyone else out there has had a similar problem?

I find that when I turn the TV off, my picture settings all disappear and I am left with the factory dynamic picture settings (and a lot of others) that I really do not want to view.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would have thought a TV worth this sort of money would be able to hold my viewing preferences in it's memory.

Any ideas?

Paul Simon

I woulda thought if you spend that kinda money on a tv, you would read the manual :P Sounds like you just have it in Shop/Demo mode still - run the Plug and Play setup and choose Home mode, and you will have all your setting remembered. Infact it actually remembers separate settings for each input

I woulda thought if you spend that kinda money on a tv, you would read the manual :P Sounds like you just have it in Shop/Demo mode still - run the Plug and Play setup and choose Home mode, and you will have all your setting remembered. Infact it actually remembers separate settings for each input

I have tried that on 5 separate occasions now, and still the same problem. :angry: I have tried both shop and home settings....neither is any good. Maybe there is something wrong with the TV. In fact the TV is reverting to the dynamic mode after about 5 minutes on its own even without being switched off..... Not very pleased.....

thanks for replying though.....

Any other ideas.

I have tried that on 5 separate occasions now, and still the same problem. :angry: I have tried both shop and home settings....neither is any good. Maybe there is something wrong with the TV. In fact the TV is reverting to the dynamic mode after about 5 minutes on its own even without being switched off..... Not very pleased.....

thanks for replying though.....

Any other ideas.

By the way just to be certain, angry at the TV not the reply.... Don't want to get anyone off side...

Thanks again.

Must not be my lucky day or lucky TV. TV is not yet 24 hours old, turned it on just now and all I have is a white picture (appears almost like a negative image)... No blacks at all and hardly any colour at all. Think maybe I do have a dud TV.

Looks like I'll be getting in contact with the supplier tomorrow for a replacement... (hopefully they do replace) otherwise I will have to get Samsung in to fix it.

What a downer......

Paul Simon

Hi All,

Well I got my second TV (40" F81) a week ago after the first had a picture fault. I hadn't really had a chance to set it all until yesterday. I noticed last night the TV was leaning slightly to the left.

I thought it might be the TV unit/stand it's on but it's not. It's out by 1 - 2 cm!! Anyone had experience with this, I really don't want to take the whole TV back to the retailer for the second time!!

Will Samsung just give you a new stand?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by AJB99

anyone else notices color banding with PS3? The banding is quite visible in the XMB menu if I am using a blue background. Sometimes I notice it during DVD or BlueRay movies as well where there is subtle color transition like a sunset sky for example.

Is the F81 panel 10 or 8bit?

Hi All,

Well I got my second TV (40" F81) a week ago after the first had a picture fault. I hadn't really had a chance to set it all until yesterday. I noticed last night the TV was leaning slightly to the left.

I thought it might be the TV unit/stand it's on but it's not. It's out by 1 - 2 cm!! Anyone had experience with this, I really don't want to take the whole TV back to the retailer for the second time!!

Will Samsung just give you a new stand?

Cheers

Andrew

there was a problem with hte earlier batch of units having a problem with the TV stand.. which made it lean by about 3-4 mm .. but then they replaced them with their new TV stands..

call samsung.. i guess they could give you a new TV stand and have an expert do it for you..

Must not be my lucky day or lucky TV. TV is not yet 24 hours old, turned it on just now and all I have is a white picture (appears almost like a negative image)... No blacks at all and hardly any colour at all. Think maybe I do have a dud TV.

Looks like I'll be getting in contact with the supplier tomorrow for a replacement... (hopefully they do replace) otherwise I will have to get Samsung in to fix it.

What a downer......

Paul Simon

Just tell them it was like that from the start, to hurry along proceedings. Good luck, I'm touching wood all over the place mine will stay good...

anyone else notices color banding with PS3? The banding is quite visible in the XMB menu if I am using a blue background. Sometimes I notice it during DVD or BlueRay movies as well where there is subtle color transition like a sunset sky for example.

Is the F81 panel 10 or 8bit?

Is it visible in the TV menu when you are on a blank input?

If so it might be a flaw in your screen.

Hi guys,

thinking of getting a 50 inch plazzy and so far from what i have read and seen and price,

the Samsung 1080 around the $3000 seems pretty good.

Anybody have one? Happy yes?no?

Are you happy with samsung service if you have had a problem?

Kind regards,

Shane.

just ordered the 58" P9 tonight for a reasonable price. however due to uncertainties with stock (currently out of stock and yet to confirm with samy), im considering changing this to a 63" P7. apart from size difference and err the price, what are people's opinions?

and would you say the price difference was worth it? thoughts please.

What is the price difference between these 2 TVs ? I have a 50 inch P9 and also a Sony VW50 projector which I use to project a 92 inch picture. On both displays I use DVDO VP50 for video processing. Even with my 50 inch P9 I can see major improvement with the use of dedicated video scaler even with HDTV and on every SD source I have got hook up to it. The P9s have great plasma panel but it does not have the best video processing capability. I have seen VP50 selling for USD1050 and if the price difference between 58' P9 and 63' P7 is near that sort of region I think you should stay with P9 and buy a VP50.