Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

If you card has the ability to work with multiple monitors, you are definitely able work in extended desktop mode via the Nvidia management tool.

my graphics card is the ATI 9800 Rradeon PRO..and I currently have my Q91 on extended desktop mode via the s-video-to-composite converter..while my PC monitor is on DVI-to-DVI..

I think others have got the 46" M81 for $3500.
Only a couple of people and they seemed to be in very extraordinary circumstances. It is correct to say that a couple of people did get that price but in general, i dont think most of us can expect to get anywhere near that

I think others have got the 46" M81 for $3500.

Yeah but that is basically impossible to get. Plus its so cheap it must have been a mistake, sure a mistake that those few people profited from but a mistake none the less. Atleast 3200 for the 40" is a "doable" cheap price.

It's just a stock shortage in Australia (same with TH-50PX70A). They are definately still being produced because I know of a shipment to Aus only a week ago. It seems a massive amount of people are buying plasmas this winter.

Allright thanks for clearing that up.

Yesturday when i look at the LCD ones full 1080 they seem very stylish but thicker then what a plasma would actualy be on the sides.

Anything new out of this model yet ps50q91 ?

Also if anyone has this new plasma why not share your photos of your new screen set so we can all see it how good its looks sides and what the back looks like and the front. :)

I try google it on photo search for this model and there isn't much there to look at or anyone shareing thier own photos of this model. As most plasmas some people would be keen to share them and aspects to even reviews. Not even a review of this model is out there. I could be wrong or should i be checking it up with yahoo

Linda

Guest dannyz

newbie here!

I too am interested in the m81 46" However i have seen some in store demonstrations and an really confused... Why? Because i realise that sometimes the picture is grainy and very very blocky and just not clear. Is this the samsung issue or signal strangth.. I was in HN and they were running all thier tv's through the one hd stb. Some channels were great some were terrible, i watched the AFL channel and io realised it was very bad, blocky grainy and not what i would want. Some TV,s looked much better especially some plasmas.. What is the quality of the tv's internal hd box.

I was so disappointed by this that i am very confused and unable to make a decision on what to get... the 46" m81 or a 50" pioneer / sammy plasma. I wil watch 60% regular TV 20% x360, 20% dvd/hd/bluray etc... I do watch a bit of sport also.

danny

Newbie here so pardon my ignorance but i too have the same problem and am looking for a fix. My situation is:

i have hooked up my laptop via D-sub (15pin/ VGA?) to my m81 but the t.v turns off almost straight-away. I notice people talking about having a HTPC but mine is a regular PC with the following (original) video card Mobility Radeon 9200. My laptop is running at resolution 1024 x 768 (its maximum).

I just want to view my photos on the t.v screen!

How can i get the t.v to display my computer screen?

Please can someone assist me with a simple solution?

Thanks Charlie B for your advice! I think i am on the right track but maybe someone can tell me if i'm barking up the wrong tree..??

I have managed to view my laptop screen on the m81 using the following procedure:

From Control Panel and Display properties i went into the settings and selected display #2 - the m81. Then i checked the box labelled "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor".

As a result i can at least see things but i have to move the cursor beyond my laptop screen before it appears on the m81 and when viewing/doing any work i must drag the application beyond the right of my screen before it appears on the lcd t.v. it is cumbersome but at least it 'works'. Is there a way for me to adjust the screen size to have the t.v screen equal the laptop screen or by checking the 'extend my windows desktop' this is mutually impossible?

I see that on the m81 when i look at the Picture menu and select Size, the "Just scan" option is greyed out and that under the Setup menu both PC and Home Theatre PC is greyed out as well but shows "On"....what is going on???????

Maybe i am missing some basic set-up step on the laptop or m81.....does anyone have any ideas??

Thank you for considering this!

I try google it on photo search for this model and there isn't much there to look at or anyone shareing thier own photos of this model. As most plasmas some people would be keen to share them and aspects to even reviews.

Linda

Hi Linda,

There are a few reviews and photos out there, but they tend to be based on the UK model so far as I know (of course, there may be some stuff locally)... it is essentially the same exact model though, except they have 2 SCART inputs rather than additional component inputs that we get here in Aus. Here is a couple of reviews that have come up so far in my hunt for a plasma:

HDTVtest UK - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-PS50Q97HDX/

HDTVorg UK - http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/sa..._ps50q97hdx.htm

In terms of pictures, you might be interested in the glossy online presentation that Samsung have up on their website. It allows you to see some of the features up close and personal, and has a 360 degree view of the beast in all it's shiny glory as well. :rolleyes:

Samsung Q9 Presentation: Check out the glossy goodness...

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Doc.

Hi Linda,

There are a few reviews and photos out there, but they tend to be based on the UK model so far as I know (of course, there may be some stuff locally)... it is essentially the same exact model though, except they have 2 SCART inputs rather than additional component inputs that we get here in Aus. Here is a couple of reviews that have come up so far in my hunt for a plasma:

HDTVtest UK - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-PS50Q97HDX/

HDTVorg UK - http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/sa..._ps50q97hdx.htm

In terms of pictures, you might be interested in the glossy online presentation that Samsung have up on their website. It allows you to see some of the features up close and personal, and has a 360 degree view of the beast in all it's shiny glory as well. :rolleyes:

Samsung Q9 Presentation: Check out the glossy goodness...

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Doc.

Everning DR thanks for that. Much preciated.

I actually love that animation presentation of this model.. Very nice

Ok so everything stays the same from the Uk verson review execptone of the connections is not available in australia. Ok no worries

Will read along

Linda

xox

From Control Panel and Display properties i went into the settings and selected display #2 - the m81. Then i checked the box labelled "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor".

As a result i can at least see things but i have to move the cursor beyond my laptop screen before it appears on the m81 and when viewing/doing any work i must drag the application beyond the right of my screen before it appears on the lcd t.v. it is cumbersome but at least it 'works'. Is there a way for me to adjust the screen size to have the t.v screen equal the laptop screen or by checking the 'extend my windows desktop' this is mutually impossible?

I see that on the m81 when i look at the Picture menu and select Size, the "Just scan" option is greyed out and that under the Setup menu both PC and Home Theatre PC is greyed out as well but shows "On"....what is going on???????

No, 'extend windows desktop' won't do what you want. This option is used with multiple monitors to make your desktop bigger; you are telling your PC that you have a desktop so big that you need multiple monitors to display it. I believe you instead want to 'clone' your desktop, i.e. show the same desktop on multiple monitors (not a different section of a large desktop on different monitors), correct? If so, this is usually done with hotkeys on a laptop, like Fn+F4 to toggle between internal/external/internal+external displays. Look on the function F-keys for a picture that looks like a couple of monitors. Otherwise, the nvidia driver generally has a 'clone display' option.

If you are connecting via VGA, then Just Scan is automatically enabled for 'standard' resolutions. Without knowing the rest of your configuration, I can't say why PC and HTPC are greyed out (the last might be because you're sending a 4:3 screen res, instead of a 16:9?), but I don't think there's anything to worry about - it's only worth panicking if you want to change them, and I can't see any reason to. As far as computer monitors go, the screen is nice, but the 'smarts' are pretty basic, so with the exception of turning off MoviePlus, DNIe, etc, reducing backlight and adjusting the saturated colours, the rest I recommend you do from your source.

CB

Tonight I set it up in dualview mode via nvidia control panel - lets you set resolutions and refresh rates for each screen independantly and works kind of like extended desktop. Using my Nvidia 7800gtx with dual dvi outputs I'm running my 19" benq lcd as main screen via dvi-dvi @ 1024x768x75 and the sammy as secondary via dvi-hdmi @ 1360x768x60. You an basically drag windowed applications eg. media player, WoW over onto the second display but it acts a bit different than regular horizontal extended desktop. Seems to work nicely.

I'm also exploring nvidia 'manage custom timings' option, although the sammy doesn't seem to like any res other than 1360x768. It seems a bit weird because when I set up a custom res of 1366x768 (actual screen res) it appears stretched. I've also had no luck setting up custom 1080 interlaced or 720 progressive resolutions via this menu either. The TV will accept them but display in weird stretched format, even by hdmi. I think I'm missing something with the exact signal format but won't be able to research it until weekend :)

Hi Guys,

I spoke to our Samsung distributor today and he indicated that sales of 42C91 had caught them by surprise and stock was therefore a major problem. He recommended the 42Q91 model but indicated that stock was pretty limited on those as well.

I *do* know that Good Guys in Perth (Ossie Park) have 3 of the C panels in stock and they will do them for $1950 off the street - probably less if you show them a quote from one of the online mobs...

I posted this in the owner's thread but no reply, so I thought I would try it here. I have the Q91 connected to my HTPC via HDMI, but I don't have access to sharpness, colour, or tint settings - they are greyed out. I am pretty sure that when my PS3 was connected (via HDMI) I didn't grey it out and I had access to these settings. Can someone else with a HTPC connected via HDMI let me know if you can access these settings

Thanks

Greg

Morning boys

Im wondering why the PS50Q91 model isn't display on the new Harvey norman thick catalogue.

The catalogue i have has aprox 4 large pages of LCD/PLASMAS

Catalogue just came out last week.

Edit: Page 05 clearly shows the 127cm (ps50c9hdx) for 2,995

But this isnt the Q9 (Q9 is the newer one surely)

Correct me if im wrong

thanks

Edit: Page 05 clearly shows the 127cm (ps50c9hdx) for 2,995

But this isnt the Q9 (Q9 is the newer one surely)

Correct me if im wrong

Q9 isn't the newer one, its a parallel model. It is the same as the C9 but with a few more features..... ultrabright screen filter, one more HDMI input and Movieplus(?) mode I think.

Both have same panel inside but the C9 is normally cheaper by around $300

Often with windows its best to restart with both monitors/tv plugged in. Or in your case just the tv. As windows then allows access to more options. Such as dual view were the 2nd device (tv) can be an extension of your desktop but still a seperate screen in itself.. so you can drag movies over to the tv and full screen them only on the tv.

That way the laptop can still be used for say email or internet while watching tv, you just have a big VGA cable hanging off the back :)

Is it possible to get 50Hz over VGA?

with my pc plugged in via DVI, I have options in the pc's display control panel for 25,28,30,50,60 Hz (although only 30, 50, 60 work).

with VGA, I only get 59 and 60Hz options.

If I set custom timings in the nvidia control panel, and choose the 1080p@50Hz option, the tv goes black and says mode not supported.

cheers,

SimmO

If it works over DVI, why do you want to use VGA?

I guess the issue here is that part of the DVI standard is the ability for the display to provide information to the source as to what resolutions and refresh rates it can accept. When you use VGA you lose this "interrogation" feature so you can only select default options. This is why with VGA monitors you used to install drivers which would then give you a more complete resolutoin and refresh rate selections, whereas under DVI its all plug and play now.

There is a utility you can install called PowerStrip which allows you to force custom resolutions, and i think refresh rates, so maybe give that a go

Hey Guys,

Just bought the 40" 2 days ago and maybe I was expecting too much but i'm dissapointed with the picture quality. Similar to what danny said above some programs are great (like house) but other programs are terribly blocky / grainy like big brother.

Have I done something wrong? I have no idea about this stuff really. I was expecting a mind blowing experience but am very dissapointed. I turned the noise reduction on and it helped somewhat.

Played a DVD and again was a bit blocky especially in the dark areas.

Any ideas cause i'm dissapointed (moreso) cause I just dropped 3k on something I had high expectations of.

Thanks,

Craig.