Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I dropped the Backlight to 5 and one of them is still somewhat noticable. How do I turn auto detect off in regards to the PC cable? When the 360 was running you could see all the menu's and what not, yet it still shut down.

I rang JB Hifi and they're trying to tell me that I have to pay the delivery guys to pick up my TV and take it back. I don't think so Tim :blink:

Are you viewing the set dead on? I've noticed the backlights tend to be more visible from an angle. Mine are set at 2, and I can still see them in the dark (again only on a black screen, in the dark)

I don't think you need to turn off autodetect (not even sure you can). Mine just seemed to settle in.

Existance, JB are kidding themselves!

Regarding the PC / 360 connection, set your PC res to 1024 x 768, connect it to the panel and then up the resolution from there.

The M81 series has problems doing hi res after being given an other signal other than 1024x768

Let me know how you go, both with the res and JB.

PS, I put my deposit down on the LG 47lb2de this afternoon.. pickup saturday. Not going through the same backlight bull!@#$ with samsung. They better get both panel and firmware right first... amazing really.

I connected the 360 to the TV and had it set to 1024x768. Then I changed it 1980x1080res. That's when it shut down. I'll try and see if I can changed it back, but I doubt it. Usually it only lasts like 10 seconds before the TV turns off :blink:

i think that technique was meant for the PC using a HDMI connection. Is this something you can try out for me?

Also, try 1280x768, my memory may be failing on the specific res i read about.. was around that are so give it a go while i try and find where i read it (not on thie forum)

Existenz: I connected my xbox360 through VGA and I have the same problem as you. The TV switches off as soon as I set the rez to 1080p in the xbox dashboard. If I connect throught component, I don't have this issue. But the problem is dvds don't get upscaled when using component and HD-DVDs only play back at 1080i. I've been reading a UK forum and it appears this is a common issue for the Sammy and xbox360. The jury is still out on whether its the tv's fault or the xbox. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....77&page=108

I dont know what to do. I'm thinking of returning the set as I have clouding. But with the recall happening , how long will I be without a TV??

Yup, XBox360 owners are boned for 1080p over VGA, and neither Microsoft or Samsung are saying anything about it. I knew there was a reason I was hanging out for an HDMI equipped XBox....

give it a go, but if you're not using HDMI for the 360 I don't expect it to work.

But in all seriousness, if your panel is showing the image, then turning off... mate thats just a crook tv

I picked up the 40" m81 on Sat and had the same issue with it switching to standby when setting the res to 1920x1080 via vga pc input. I tried it with 3 different mac's in the house and all did the same. Tried my old word PC and it worked fine?? So if figured it must be the mac hardware.

So, I installed windows via bootcamp on my mac mini and then it accepted the 1920x1080 res. So therefore it must software/driver related.

I know use it on HDMI 2 with just scan option it it works perfectly with 1920x1080 res.

I have the cloudy problem when the backlight is set too high aswell. But, had a professional calibration done by a friend and it's now not visible when set to backlight 3.

Has anyone done a good calibration on the set yet? I've used the HDTV.co.uk settings and they aren't bad, but I think it's not quite there, esp. for TV.

I do agree about the HDTV.com.uk settings. I thought they were close, but there was something I just couldn't put my finger on.

I did post a calibration a little way back for my 46" TV settings. I did this using Spyder TV Pro, and includes complete grey scale settings.

The only thing I have changed since is changing the back light setting to Auto for daylight viewing. I have found that viewing the channel 7 HD loop is much better with the settings I posted then the HDTV settings.

Enjoy

Christopher

I picked up the 40" m81 on Sat and had the same issue with it switching to standby when setting the res to 1920x1080 via vga pc input. I tried it with 3 different mac's in the house and all did the same. Tried my old word PC and it worked fine?? So if figured it must be the mac hardware.

That's weird, I hooked up my Mac Pro to it via VGA and it auto detected the Mac at 1080 fist time. No problems since so I am not sure what to make of that.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Christopher

That's weird, I hooked up my Mac Pro to it via VGA and it auto detected the Mac at 1080 fist time. No problems since so I am not sure what to make of that.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Christopher

I've tried with my macbook pro, latest revsion, and it still does the same thing over vga. Doesn't matter too much as the DVI>HDMI looks much better anyway.

I've tried with my macbook pro, latest revsion, and it still does the same thing over vga. Doesn't matter too much as the DVI>HDMI looks much better anyway.

I have been curious as to the difference between the HDMI and VGA inputs. As yet I haven't had a chance to calibrate the Mac Pro and the TV on the VGA input so I am not going to judge it too harshly untill I have done it. Should find the time this weekend to finish calibrating all the inputs. I'll post the settings when I am finished, so give them a go and tell me what the difference is between them and if you like them.

Christopher

in regards to teh xbox360 and VGA i have heard that MS were release a patch to get vga going at 1080P

i use component however and it set it to 1080P NP.

had to fiddle with my PC for a while to get 1080P and taht simply turned out i needed a updated driver from nvidia

I was hoping to get some clarification on the difference between the PS42Q7HDX and the PS42Q91HDX. I have not been able to find much info on the Q9 (other then the recall. What are the benefits of one over the other? also what are the going rates for these panels (42inch) without warranty?

Thanks, S

I was hoping to get some clarification on the difference between the PS42Q7HDX and the PS42Q91HDX. I have not been able to find much info on the Q9 (other then the recall. What are the benefits of one over the other? also what are the going rates for these panels (42inch) without warranty?

Thanks, S

Hoping to find out the same information... want to get either of these units in 42" but can't find any information...

Hoping to find out the same information... want to get either of these units in 42" but can't find any information...

From what I have gathered the Q9 is the new (current) model which also has 3 x HDMI inputs, a "nicer" black finish, swivel stand, and 15000:1 contrast ratio..

Check out the review of the panel posted earlier in this post.

The q9 is the new model (some spec differences 15000:1, 1500cd/m2, UltraFilter Bright)

Manual:-

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/products...amp;filetype=UM

Links:-

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...=cr%3DcountryAU