Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

LA46F71BX $3499

www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au

Available in 2 weeks (not on the website yet)

Pickup in perth, melbourne, brisbane or delivered...

Lol, just as i type this i see T.E.D has put a banner up on this site.

Go fetch =)

That is the older model though.

Thanks Christopher :D I wonder if there's a surround sound home theatre system out there that upscales an SD analogue source to 1080p with HDMI outputs! :P Denon AVR-3806 seems to do just that but is a tad bit expensive :blink: *correction* it doesn't upscale to 1080p

I havent been having those issues on the PS3 at all...... I've kept my PS3 firmware up to date.

AFAIK, the NTSC PS3's have hardware compatibility with PS2 games, whereas PAL's uses software to cut costs....

I believe AVR-2807 will do the trick, but I'm not entirely sure if it's 1080p upscaling or just switching. I'm waiting for the AVR-3806 to be updated this year. Hopefully it will have 1080p switching and upscaling like it's AVR-4806 big brother (although AVR-4806 only upscales to 1080i).

More on price for an A/V Amp, if you're trying to construct a good home theatre and so far you've spent a fair bit of dosh on a good display device, you should be spending roughly the same on your amp, especially if you're expecting 1080p upscaling. Your image is only as good as its sources.

With the AVR-3806 at RRP$2699 and AVR-2807 at $2199 (don't forget you'll be able haggle a decent amount off this) you'd still be paying heaps less than what you paid for your screen.

Beware when some amps say they upscale because often this is just multiplying the number of lines to make up 1080p. Whereas the AVR-4306 uses a Faroudja upscaler which calculates what should be appearing between the lines rather than just multiplying them, hence the hefty price.

As with everything, you get what you pay for.

How many of you are experiencing the digital reception problem mentioned in this thread?

Cheers,

morkli.

Hey Morkli

This out: Hot off the press yesterday:

Samsung has requested that retailers temporarily stop selling its new flagship M8 and R8 series LCDs and its Q9 series plasmas following the discovery of a digital tuner glitch in limited number of units which causes the TV signal to drop out when watching free to air digital TV.

The company issued an urgent service bulletin this afternoon – printed in full below – explaining the fault and requesting that retailers cease from selling the listed products and contact the company with any queries they have.

The statement reads:

“Since the launch of Samsung’s new line of LCDs and plasma televisions, Samsung has identified a tuning fault with a limited number of its M8 and R8 series LCDs and Q9 plasma televisions, and is working to resolve the issue shortly,” said the statement.

“Not all units are affected and there are no safety issues involved.

“The fault has occurred in the tuning of digital free-to-air television channels, resulting in the tuner dropping out intermittently. The analogue tuner is not affected and consumers can still watch free-to-air television using their analogue tuner.

“No other current or past Samsung LCD or plasma models are affected. This issue only effects selected shipments of new models.

“The models in question are the LA40M81/BDX, LA46M81/BDX, LA32R81/BDX, LA40R81/BDX, PS42Q91/HDX and the PS50Q91/HDX.

“Samsung is currently investigating the matter, and taking the necessary quality control steps to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

“Samsung are informing their retail partners of the tuner fault, and will continue to provide updates as they become available. Until the matter has been resolved, Samsung has recommended that retailers temporarily hold off selling these units.

“Dealers and customers can contact Samsung on 1300 362 603. A dedicated phone path has been created, so that callers will receive priority on their query.

“Samsung’s mission is to provide innovative digital convergence products that possess exceptional technology, quality, features and value. Commitment to quality and superior customer service is, and always will be, our number one priority.”

Samsung Australia first launched the affected televisions to its retail partners at a roadshow held late last month in Sydney, with the new full HD M8 paraded as the apple of the Korean company’s eye.

The R8 series LCD is also an important product for the company following the successful R7 series, which was the number one selling LCD for much the latter part of 2006 and in early 2007.

Wow that looks great. Might be worth getting the hd dvd player for my 360 to go on my PS42Q91HDX.

Pallamallawa, do you have any trouble with digital channels not loading straight away as Im still having problems with mine?

Hi there TrentC

Check this out - hot off the press yesterday.STOP THE PRESS:

Samsung has requested that retailers temporarily stop selling its new flagship M8 and R8 series LCDs and its Q9 series plasmas following the discovery of a digital tuner glitch in limited number of units which causes the TV signal to drop out when watching free to air digital TV.

The company issued an urgent service bulletin this afternoon – printed in full below – explaining the fault and requesting that retailers cease from selling the listed products and contact the company with any queries they have.

The statement reads:

“Since the launch of Samsung’s new line of LCDs and plasma televisions, Samsung has identified a tuning fault with a limited number of its M8 and R8 series LCDs and Q9 plasma televisions, and is working to resolve the issue shortly,” said the statement.

“Not all units are affected and there are no safety issues involved.

“The fault has occurred in the tuning of digital free-to-air television channels, resulting in the tuner dropping out intermittently. The analogue tuner is not affected and consumers can still watch free-to-air television using their analogue tuner.

“No other current or past Samsung LCD or plasma models are affected. This issue only effects selected shipments of new models.

“The models in question are the LA40M81/BDX, LA46M81/BDX, LA32R81/BDX, LA40R81/BDX, PS42Q91/HDX and the PS50Q91/HDX.

“Samsung is currently investigating the matter, and taking the necessary quality control steps to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

“Samsung are informing their retail partners of the tuner fault, and will continue to provide updates as they become available. Until the matter has been resolved, Samsung has recommended that retailers temporarily hold off selling these units.

“Dealers and customers can contact Samsung on 1300 362 603. A dedicated phone path has been created, so that callers will receive priority on their query.

“Samsung’s mission is to provide innovative digital convergence products that possess exceptional technology, quality, features and value. Commitment to quality and superior customer service is, and always will be, our number one priority.”

Samsung Australia first launched the affected televisions to its retail partners at a roadshow held late last month in Sydney, with the new full HD M8 paraded as the apple of the Korean company’s eye.

The R8 series LCD is also an important product for the company following the successful R7 series, which was the number one selling LCD for much the latter part of 2006 and in early 2007.

Got a better idea for you, why don't you stick some cardboard to your existing TV to the dimensions of the 46". That way you get to have a good visual of it's impact in your own enviroment which is the really important thing. If it feels too big, reapply the cardboard to the size of the 40" and check, but for what it's worth I went from a 32" TV to the 46" and I have already gotten used to it's size(only 10 days).

Christopher

But I want to see more photos of the sexy Sammy :blink:

Nah, I'd thought of that, but haven't got around to getting some cardboard ... might get off my butt and do it this week.

But I want to see more photos of the sexy Sammy :blink:

Nah, I'd thought of that, but haven't got around to getting some cardboard ... might get off my butt and do it this week.

You get used to having a big screen in your home very quickly, so I don’t think the cardboard mock up is really going to tell you much.

Once you live with it for a week of so it just looks normal and you will want a bigger one. :D

You get used to having a big screen in your home very quickly, so I don’t think the cardboard mock up is really going to tell you much.

Once you live with it for a week of so it just looks normal and you will want a bigger one. :blink:

What should he buy?

Shonkey*, messed up the model number sorry.

"I can supply the new LA46M81BDX for a special cash or credit price of $3499.00 "

www.Theelectricdiscounter.com.au

Gazzz, Is there a pick up location in Melbourne for that price?

So HOT that you had to post it twice ?!? :blink::P

Cheers,

morkli.

OOPS Sorry - I'm a brand new member and made a bit of a boob :D I am based in South Africa and was searching around google trying to find a decent review on the Q9. We have also just received the new SAMSUNG Q9 Stock. Strangley, the Q7 was available only just recently here. 3 of my mates rushed out and bought the Q7 after it received 5 stars in "What Hi-Fi Magazine". They were so upset to discover that the Q9 was out just 2 short weeks later. Not to knock the Q7 which sounds like an excellent telly for it's money - But everybody needs the extra HDMI slots for the future.

I'm just hoping the Q9 is a move up in quality as well as the HDMI additions ????? There seem to be mixed feelings in this forum about it all ...

I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what SAMSUNG South Africa say about all this Digital Tuner stuff. We cannot test ours yet, as our digital signals will only be available from later next year.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your purchases ... I hope Samung here will be as good with their service as they sound in Australia

Good Luck :P

I got my 46" today and just finished hooking it all up. I have noticed a few things though:

On the top left and bottom right of the TV are some rather large'ish white clouds.

When I go into PC mode for the Xbox 360, my TV turns off (and the red power light flashes). I turn the 360 off and go out of PC mode to another source, then go back to PC mode (with the 360 off) and it does the same thing again >.<

The digitial tuner worked fine for me, but I am kinda worried about the PC mode. My 360 worked fine on VGA mode on my dad's Soniq LCD tv, so it can't be the cable. Could be just something simple I haven't figured out yet :blink:

BTW...what's the green patch or night vision error some people get with the PS3? I haven't had a chance to really check it out yet.

Sounds like a faulty unit Ex, although I have heard some bad things about the PC connection....

Red flashing light, if it could speak, is probly saying "IM BUGGERED!!! RETURN ME!!!"

Cloudy backlight is means for return anyway. Becuase of clouding AGAIN (sony x series, schaub lorenz series, now the top of the line samsungs...(all using samsung panels)) I won't be buying samsung.

LG 47" for me thx.

Gees, just looking at the general posts sounds like the older F71 series has had much less problems than this M81 series.

I hate it when the latest isn't always the greatest, but it makes early adopters like me feel a bit better and like I'm not missing out on much. :blink:

On the top left and bottom right of the TV are some rather large'ish white clouds.

When I go into PC mode for the Xbox 360, my TV turns off (and the red power light flashes). I turn the 360 off and go out of PC mode to another source, then go back to PC mode (with the 360 off) and it does the same thing again >.<

RE Clouds, have you checked the backlight & brightness settings? Backlight by default is at 10 (max) which is way too bright. I get some clouding, but it's only really visible on pure black screens, and usually in low light. Set your backlight to below 4 and things should be better.

RE PC Connection, I had that for a bit with my shonky old PC I have hooked up, usually it means it's in autodetect mode or isn't picking up a signal (as teh PC went into idle) - hasn't happened for a while.

Has anyone done a good calibration on the set yet? I've used the HDTV.co.uk settings and they aren't bad, but I think it's not quite there, esp. for TV.

I dropped the Backlight to 5 and one of them is still somewhat noticable. How do I turn auto detect off in regards to the PC cable? When the 360 was running you could see all the menu's and what not, yet it still shut down.

I rang JB Hifi and they're trying to tell me that I have to pay the delivery guys to pick up my TV and take it back. I don't think so Tim :blink: