Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

NEC.

With the Samsung, I was very cautious. I had run the screen protection over 10 times in 4 hrs, turned the tv off 2 times. Paused it which changed screen image, cut scenes from the Game and it still seemed to happen. The image was pretty much all but gone by the time i took it back. You couldnt see it on the full white screen burn screen, only slightly on the signal one.

My point was, after all that and it still burnt in, regardless if it was under 200 hrs, People should be extra careful. Alls i wanted to do was sit down for a few hours and have a game. I dont get to do it much and Im glad i got the lcd as now i wont have to worry too much about this.

On saying that. The Q9 was better for watching DTV.

I've had no issues with DTV. (Other than the programmes are crap, but that's hardly Samsungs fault :blink: )

As for sound, I can't believe anybody would spend over $3k on a screen and not even have a half way decent HT set up for it - i've never looked back from setting up my system, even if it took nearly 2 years to cobble all the speakers together - if you're on a budget, raid ebay for components. If it helps, I did it in the following order:

Amp + 2 main speakers, then sub, then centre, then surrounds. If I was to do it again i'd probably get the center before the sub as that made the most difference to ordinary TV viewing. None of the components are the same brand, and my main speakers are a pair of at least 25 year old 100W Wharfedales which cost $25 second hand and are still going strong! You don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that will massively improve your sound quality... just make sure you get a good Amp. Everything else can be changed as fortune provides for you!

Ahh crap. I got a mate who has a 50inch plasma and its 1yr old, even after gaming on that it still has burn in.

But after all, you do know all :blink:

Dude, many thousands of people game on Plasma’s without problems.

If the contrast is set to high and you are careless, you can burn any phosphor based display.

To be classed as burn in, a residual image must be permanent.

I picked up one of the 46" m8 series tv's yesterday. So far there is three dead pixels, one of them is a bright pixel in the centre of the screen that is quite a bit brighter than the other defects so it may be a couple of dead pixels beside each other, the other two you have to look close to see them. Harvey Norman will replace the tv when they get more in stock :blink:. I'm glad i brought it from them and not JB hifi, i got it for $4200 btw. Hopefully the new tv will have the tuner issue fixed, not that i watch free to air or cable tv anyway, lol

I can confirm that I have not experienced any issues Audio wise on my 40" using either the external RCA stereo or today the optical out to my Sony 5.1 amp. In both cases I disabled the internal audio. Im using the DTV internal tunner and an external HTPC. All good.

So if my set does have the issue talked about, I doubt I will ever notice as I dont use the internal speakers.

Also I have not experienced the picture flicker that others talk about. Maybe im one of the lucky ones?

I've had no issues with DTV. (Other than the programmes are crap, but that's hardly Samsungs fault :blink: )

As for sound, I can't believe anybody would spend over $3k on a screen and not even have a half way decent HT set up for it - i've never looked back from setting up my system, even if it took nearly 2 years to cobble all the speakers together - if you're on a budget, raid ebay for components. If it helps, I did it in the following order:

Amp + 2 main speakers, then sub, then centre, then surrounds. If I was to do it again i'd probably get the center before the sub as that made the most difference to ordinary TV viewing. None of the components are the same brand, and my main speakers are a pair of at least 25 year old 100W Wharfedales which cost $25 second hand and are still going strong! You don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that will massively improve your sound quality... just make sure you get a good Amp. Everything else can be changed as fortune provides for you!

Here, here!

Very similar way to how I got started. Now 17 years later my obsession is now what you see below.

Now with 1080p sources and displays True Home Theatre is getting more realistic.

Define "on order" though. WOW and HN both were waiting for them which means they could be in a warehouse or truck somewhere. How could they be fixed?

Would be best if it was possible to determine whether a set was "fixed" or not via firmware version or some kind update sticker they might fit so it's known they are fixed.

I'll bet good money if I buy one this week it will be fully sealed up etc as from the factory. How could it be fixed?

Well if you don't believe me call Samsung yourself......... I spoke to them about it, they said that all of the stock that Samsung have (in their warehouse, and being produced in the factory) have been repaired. He told me that it is a very simple procedure that can be completed by a technician in a few minutes.

If you buy from a retail outlet that has stock in their warehouse then the issue will remain and you will need to log a service call and Samsung will send someone out. If the store order's stock from Samsung then they will be fine.

I think you'll find that if they have to open the box ie break tape, most of the time they will replace the whole box so that the retailer/customer don't think the stock has been tampered with. Also I don't thing Samsung would be sticking something on the units to say they have been repaired because most people would have no idea that there was a issue at all, the only reason that I knew about it was because of these forums. There is no information on the Samsung site about this issue and all of the retailers that I visited also knew nothing about it.......

hi all i'm a long lime lurker, first time poster.

I just purchased myself a LA46M81BD on friday and am absolutely stoked with it.

I got it for $4100 from Danny at JB Melbourne, Elizabeth St.

HDTV looks great, as does the HTPC running DVI-HDMI.

What I'm not so sure about is the quality I'm getting from DVD over component. Some dvds look pretty good, but some look VERY ordinary. Is it possible to improve this with more work adjusting settings on the screen or do I need to replace my 6yo dvd player?

I am hoping that one of these two solutions will work and that I am not just stuck with mediocre picture quality until I convert my whole dvd collection to HD/Blu-ray some time down the track.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

hi all i'm a long lime lurker, first time poster.

I just purchased myself a LA46M81BD on friday and am absolutely stoked with it.

I got it for $4100 from Danny at JB Melbourne, Elizabeth St.

HDTV looks great, as does the HTPC running DVI-HDMI.

What I'm not so sure about is the quality I'm getting from DVD over component. Some dvds look pretty good, but some look VERY ordinary. Is it possible to improve this with more work adjusting settings on the screen or do I need to replace my 6yo dvd player?

I am hoping that one of these two solutions will work and that I am not just stuck with mediocre picture quality until I convert my whole dvd collection to HD/Blu-ray some time down the track.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

You might want to use an upconverting DVD player in the mean time until you get one of the hi def players. I was struck by the same observation, but if I run the same dvd through my Mac(which does the upconversion) then the picture is much better. This way you can keep your current dvd collection and only upgrade the ones that would truely benifit from the move to Blue ray or HD DVD.

Just a thought

Christopher

thanks for that suggestion christopher.

I'll try my htpc tonight and see how that goes. If I have no luck there, I may buy an newer dvd player to serve my needs untill it's time for a high def player.

No worries mate.

Just remember if the source material is crap there isn't much that can be done to improve it. Myself, I have a collection of Stargate-SG1 dvd's and the early seasons were either not shot with hi-def cameras(possible) or the transfer to dvd reduced the quality too much. Either way, the quality has suffered on the early seasons. If I put one of these in the Mac to play, it looks better but not as good as a later season one in the dvd player conected by component cables. So basicly crap produces crap.

Christopher

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the forum, and also an expectant 46" M8 owner. Hopefully it will arrive later this week. The feedback on this forum about the M8 has been great, which is what led me to order one.

For now it will be connected via HDMI to a PS3 and via component connections to Foxtel and an LG DVD player/recorder. Towards the end of June, I will also be hooking up a Sony HTDDW1600 home theatre system using digital links for the audio.

The question I have is what is the picture quality on these things really like? It may be a dumb question for someone who has already decided they will buy one, but the reason I ask is that the display units I have seen at JB and Bing Lee look ordinary at best. The one at JB Bondi Junction in particular was playing a Channel 7 HD program and looked awful, however the salesman said that it was just factory defaults and they had not done any tuning on it to improve the picture.

I take it that the M8 will require some tweaking to get it right, so I have already acquired Digital Video Essentials to help me with it. Any other tips and tricks will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Palindrome

Edited by Palindrome

Congrats on the new purchase - you won't regret it.

I believe not very controlled lighting in the JB and Bing Lee stores generally doesn't help. There are darker areas in Bing Lee Skygardens to see the Samsung... But when I had the TV set up at home, it looked way better than in the stores... Maybe cos it's now mine now :blink: But yeah picture quality is great on the DTV channels for me. How close were you standing to the TV in the store? Looks better if you can stand at optimal viewing distance and further back.

You probably don't need any more tips since you've got a copy of Digital Video Essentials :D Should be all you need.

I've seen a lot of people turn off Movie Plus though, so you should check that out. Also may need to turn the backlight down to around 3-5... And some ppl turn on the energy saving feature too... But to me that just makes the screen darker?

On a sidenote, does anyone know if the M81 upscales non-1080p sources to 1080p? e.g. I have an older DVD player with no upscaling, and I believe my XBOX 360 and PS3 also don't upscale/upconvert, so will the M81 do that for me? I don't exactly want to spend on an upscaling DVD player yet.

Hi,

1)

Has anyone asked Samsung about the auto-revive MoviePlus issue every time u kill it?

It does sound like a very annoying issue.

2)

If I don't have an PS3 or BluRay or HD-DVD player, does it mean I can't test it out to see if it has any faults associated with those outputs?

3)

For people that paid > $3900 for the 46", did u ever tried going that low as Reefboy did?

How much is extra warrantee coz it sounds like these new technologies aren't too reliable.

thanks

Hi,

1)

Has anyone asked Samsung about the auto-revive MoviePlus issue every time u kill it?

It does sound like a very annoying issue.

2)

If I don't have an PS3 or BluRay or HD-DVD player, does it mean I can't test it out to see if it has any faults associated with those outputs?

3)

For people that paid > $3900 for the 46", did u ever tried going that low as Reefboy did?

How much is extra warrantee coz it sounds like these new technologies aren't too reliable.

thanks

1) No not yet, but im experiencing it on mine

2) It shouldnt matter, as when you are on blu ray or hd-dvd you change the res on the player not the TV

3) I got $4100, after swapping 2 Samsung 50inch plasma's i didnt push to much more on the price. after all they have swapped it over 2 times. The LCD's come with 3yrs warranty. I didnt get an extra 2 yrs. Have no idea of the price, seems a waste of cash, 3 yrs time ill just buy another. Or if it fails and they cant fix it they replace with a current model + you get the new warranty on the tv :blink:

1) No not yet, but im experiencing it on mine

2) It shouldnt matter, as when you are on blu ray or hd-dvd you change the res on the player not the TV

3) I got $4100, after swapping 2 Samsung 50inch plasma's i didnt push to much more on the price. after all they have swapped it over 2 times. The LCD's come with 3yrs warranty. I didnt get an extra 2 yrs. Have no idea of the price, seems a waste of cash, 3 yrs time ill just buy another. Or if it fails and they cant fix it they replace with a current model + you get the new warranty on the tv :blink:

2) i meant issues that people had with ps3, like some green patches?

Yeah, I'm still on the old CRT mind set where TVs last 10 years.

thanks

Congrats on the new purchase - you won't regret it.

I believe not very controlled lighting in the JB and Bing Lee stores generally doesn't help. There are darker areas in Bing Lee Skygardens to see the Samsung... But when I had the TV set up at home, it looked way better than in the stores... Maybe cos it's now mine now :blink: But yeah picture quality is great on the DTV channels for me. How close were you standing to the TV in the store? Looks better if you can stand at optimal viewing distance and further back.

You probably don't need any more tips since you've got a copy of Digital Video Essentials :D Should be all you need.

I've seen a lot of people turn off Movie Plus though, so you should check that out. Also may need to turn the backlight down to around 3-5... And some ppl turn on the energy saving feature too... But to me that just makes the screen darker?

On a sidenote, does anyone know if the M81 upscales non-1080p sources to 1080p? e.g. I have an older DVD player with no upscaling, and I believe my XBOX 360 and PS3 also don't upscale/upconvert, so will the M81 do that for me? I don't exactly want to spend on an upscaling DVD player yet.

On the side note, anything that is not 1080p will be up scaled by the pannel. It is alot of work for the pannel to do so there is apparently more chance of artifacts being present which can be reduced by a seperate, up scaled source.

Palindrome I ditto the above comments you won't regret it once you get it home and calibrated. Please keep us posted on how the PS3 performs. In the US and Europe there have been handshaking(lose of signal) and color flashes, the common belief is it will be fixed by a firmware upgrade. I have been wanting to get a PS3 but was waiting to see what peoples experience was here in OZ.

Christopher

Please keep us posted on how the PS3 performs. In the US and Europe there have been handshaking(lose of signal) and color flashes, the common belief is it will be fixed by a firmware upgrade. I have been wanting to get a PS3 but was waiting to see what peoples experience was here in OZ.

Christopher

Will do, Christopher.

Re the firmware upgrade, on the Samsung or the PS3? Reason I ask is that we have had the PS3 about a month and in that time there have been two firmware upgrades pushed to it via the Playstation Network. I understand that the firmware for PAL is quite different to the NTSC firmware, which is why there are more backward compatibility issues between our PS3 and the older PS2 and PS1 games. But then again I might have it wrong.

On the side note, anything that is not 1080p will be up scaled by the pannel.

I have been wanting to get a PS3 but was waiting to see what peoples experience was here in OZ.

Thanks Christopher :D I wonder if there's a surround sound home theatre system out there that upscales an SD analogue source to 1080p with HDMI outputs! :P Denon AVR-3806 seems to do just that but is a tad bit expensive :blink: *correction* it doesn't upscale to 1080p

I havent been having those issues on the PS3 at all...... I've kept my PS3 firmware up to date.

AFAIK, the NTSC PS3's have hardware compatibility with PS2 games, whereas PAL's uses software to cut costs....

LA46F71BX $3499

www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au

Available in 2 weeks (not on the website yet)

Pickup in perth, melbourne, brisbane or delivered...

Lol, just as i type this i see T.E.D has put a banner up on this site.

Go fetch =)

Thanks Christopher :P I wonder if there's a surround sound home theatre system out there that upscales an SD analogue source to 1080p with HDMI outputs! :P Denon AVR-3806 seems to do just that but is a tad bit expensive :blink: *correction* it doesn't upscale to 1080p

I havent been having those issues on the PS3 at all...... I've kept my PS3 firmware up to date.

AFAIK, the NTSC PS3's have hardware compatibility with PS2 games, whereas PAL's uses software to cut costs....

Yes I was aware there were differences between the 2 versions but I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the 1.3 HDMI output, but good news if you're not having any problems. Could be time for some more shopping!!!

As far as the HT thing goes, I think you need to put your feet up and sip a good beverage, you could be in for a bit of a wait. But as they say, all good things come to those who wait(well I think that's how it goes) :D

Christopher

If any of the 46" owners could post a photo of their TV in their lounge room from a distance, that would be great!

Still a little scared that a 46" in my place would look a little silly. At the same time I don't want to get the 40" and wish I'd gone one bigger.

Got a better idea for you, why don't you stick some cardboard to your existing TV to the dimensions of the 46". That way you get to have a good visual of it's impact in your own enviroment which is the really important thing. If it feels too big, reapply the cardboard to the size of the 40" and check, but for what it's worth I went from a 32" TV to the 46" and I have already gotten used to it's size(only 10 days).

Christopher