Sign in to follow this  
JasonInMelbourne

Samsung 1080p Owners

Someone said to start a Samsung 1080p owners' thread. So here it is.

And my first question is

What are people using as their image source? Anything that is actually showing off the 1080p?

setting the thing up as we speak :P arrived a few hours ago... cant believe how light it is... i was able to lift the 46" onto my tv stand by myself with no injury to me or more importantly the TV. it looks much better at home than it does in the store :P much more shiny and bigger

trying to get xbox 360 working over VGA cable at 1080p but no luck so far when i select 1920x1080 on the xbox.. :blink: TV says autoconfiguring screen... then power light on the tv flashes and sounds like the TV goes on standby.. no picture, until the 360 switches back to 640*480 grrr...

i will have an HDMI cable tmr to test my ps3... but err... got no bluray discs

happy to post reviews and answer any questions as i learn to use this tv... it's so damn complicated compared to my old tv... feel like a fuddy duddy using a flashy mobile phone. i dont even know how to get the HD digital channels yet!!! plugged the aerial in and no 'dtv signal'.. :D

oh well... going back to play with it now!

Come on guys post some reviews :blink:

using my HTPC via HDMI and xbox360 via component at 1080P

played back a few HD DVD and blu ray movies

looks pretty purdy

my only issue at teh moment is a green line down the left of the sreen i cant get to go away in 1920x1080 res via the PC

supacheap: u have to get it to autodetect all the DTV stations. until then u will get no signal :blink:

setting the thing up as we speak :P arrived a few hours ago... cant believe how light it is... i was able to lift the 46" onto my tv stand by myself with no injury to me or more importantly the TV. it looks much better at home than it does in the store :P much more shiny and bigger

trying to get xbox 360 working over VGA cable at 1080p but no luck so far when i select 1920x1080 on the xbox.. :blink: TV says autoconfiguring screen... then power light on the tv flashes and sounds like the TV goes on standby.. no picture, until the 360 switches back to 640*480 grrr...

i will have an HDMI cable tmr to test my ps3... but err... got no bluray discs

happy to post reviews and answer any questions as i learn to use this tv... it's so damn complicated compared to my old tv... feel like a fuddy duddy using a flashy mobile phone. i dont even know how to get the HD digital channels yet!!! plugged the aerial in and no 'dtv signal'.. :D

oh well... going back to play with it now!

I've been reading the main topic with alot of enthusiasm, and I’m prob going to buy the 46†this weekend. Please let me know how you go with your 360 thru VGA! I know this is a owners topic but I need to know!

Do you have the component cable as well? I'd like to know which one is better. I believe they both do 1080P, right?

I was going to go the Sony X series but as it doesn't do 1080P thru anything other than HDMI this has brough my attention to the M8 series.

OH one last thing - can someone comment on the 'Game' mode, is it just marketing hype or does it make a difference?

Good luck with the setup.

Edited by Punkarella

supacheap: u have to get it to autodetect all the DTV stations. until then u will get no signal :P

:P i'll try that again... i sounded pretty dumb didnt i.. hehe.. it did some autodetect thing on setup, i'm only getting analogue signals.. i thought it was going to detect all the digital ones too. dont think i was paying attention enough...

I've been reading the main topic with alot of enthusiasm, and I’m prob going to buy the 46†this weekend. Please let me know how you go with your 360 thru VGA! I know this is a owners topic but I need to know!

Do you have the component cable as well? I'd like to know which one is better. I believe they both do 1080P, right?

i can only get 720p through VGA :blink: surely it can be done at 1080p...! it's meant to work. it's the official microsoft XBOX360 VGA cable!!

I will now try component cable.. full 1080p mode works. There's a few jaggies playing XBOX360 compared with the VGA... could be just my imagination, but the VGA seemed to look better... :D colours seemed better too with the VGA.

:D i'll try that again... i sounded pretty dumb didnt i.. hehe.. it did some autodetect thing on setup, i'm only getting analogue signals.. i thought it was going to detect all the digital ones too. dont think i was paying attention enough...

i can only get 720p through VGA :blink: surely it can be done at 1080p...! it's meant to work.

I will now try component cable

I have my Mac going through VGA at 1080 so the input does accept it.

Christopher

Sorry chaps I just get sick of some peOple Out there that try to put down HD lcd whenever they can.

New member here, I've been lurking for a while reading the previous thread with interest. I'm looking forward to picking up the 40" model and a ps3 for bluray goodness in the near future. Browsing through the avs forums it seems that the US versions of these sets have issues with the ps3 and hdmi handshaking with dropouts and other weirdness. Can any owners with ps3's confirm if these issues effect the Australian model ?

Any clouding issues? Let me know if you can get the 360 working at 1080p via VGA cables. From memory VGA Gives better PQ at 1080p then component.

Also what's the sound like via the built in speakers?

Hoping to pick up the 46" this week *crosses fingers* :blink:

Another new member... I watched a side by side comparison of the 40" X series and the Samsung today at Harvey Norman at Martin Place (Sydney). Both were playing the Channel 7 HD loop. The panning on the Samsung was noticably smoother than on the Sony. The X Series showed more judder than the Samsung. Until then, I had been quite impressed with the X Series, and was just shopping for the best price. I am not yet taken by the glossy surround, but it is more compact than the Sony. The Samsung 46" is about 4mm narrower overall than the Sony 40".

using my HTPC via HDMI and xbox360 via component at 1080P

played back a few HD DVD and blu ray movies

looks pretty purdy

my only issue at teh moment is a green line down the left of the sreen i cant get to go away in 1920x1080 res via the PC

As you can see from my signature, I'm doing pretty much the same thing and loving it. No problems with any green line though. When Samsung UK first released the Just Scan patch for the F71 series, they issued this as part of the instructions to their technicians:

There may be some colour (a green, black) bar on the picture edge in the "Just Scan" mode. This will be a result of the output signal condition of the external device or the computer VGA card may be different according to the manufacturer.

That “garbage” bar is not a defect but caused by the content from the external device.

If you can see the edge garbage bar in the "Just Scan" mode, then switch the picture size to the "16:9" format.

What graphics card are you using?

Another new member... I watched a side by side comparison of the 40" X series and the Samsung today at Harvey Norman at Martin Place (Sydney). Both were playing the Channel 7 HD loop. The panning on the Samsung was noticably smoother than on the Sony. The X Series showed more judder than the Samsung. Until then, I had been quite impressed with the X Series, and was just shopping for the best price. I am not yet taken by the glossy surround, but it is more compact than the Sony. The Samsung 46" is about 4mm narrower overall than the Sony 40".

Cabinet design was also a big factor for me choosing the Sammy over the Sony. As I've written in a different thread, my wall unit didn't have enough space for the backlight panel and side speaker placement of the Bravia and I didn't like the silver finish. I guess I'm a minimalist for styling. The reflected speaker placement of the Sammy is really suited to people like me who are primarily buying it for the screen and not the speakers since the Home Cinema speakers will trash those on the TV set. I've not come across a TV with such a good "monitor only" type of design as this while stilll having speakers.

In the end, I definitiely prefer glossy black over silver as the black surround disappears nicely when the lights go down.

Can any owners with ps3's confirm if these issues effect the Australian model ?

will let you know over the coming days once my ugly HDMI cable arrives :blink:

Any clouding issues? Let me know if you can get the 360 working at 1080p via VGA cables. From memory VGA Gives better PQ at 1080p then component.

Also what's the sound like via the built in speakers?

havent noticed clouding yet. to be honest, i didnt even notice on the sony. About 1080p via VGA on the 360... according to this thread, it's not possible YET. Firmware update should fix it apparently.... *fingers crossed*

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....box+vga+samsung

Sound is pretty crap, Sony is better... sounds "fuller", but that's to be expected, since samsung points it's speakers downwards and they sit underneath the screen! basically you're buying it for the panel rather than the sound, and they probably expect you to hook it up to a nice audio system anyway. i'm very picky with my sound, as my car has a good audio system, so maybe crap to me is bearable for others... Kind of like buying a fast car with an ugly stereo really :D You're paying for the fast car, and they expect u to upgrade the sound system.

In the end, I definitiely prefer glossy black over silver as the black surround disappears nicely when the lights go down.

The HN salesman I spoke to showed me how easily the sony surrounds pop off, and you can just take it to someone to get professionally painted black for like $50... better than spending $400 or whatever it is... or you could wait for the new model which comes in black.

Sound is pretty crap, Sony is better... sounds "fuller", but that's to be expected, since samsung points it's speakers downwards and they sit underneath the screen! basically you're buying it for the panel rather than the sound, and they probably expect you to hook it up to a nice audio system anyway. i'm very picky with my sound, as my car has a good audio system, so maybe crap to me is bearable for others... Kind of like buying a fast car with an ugly stereo really :blink: You're paying for the fast car, and they expect u to upgrade the sound system.

Have you tried switching on the SRS TS XT option in the sound menu?

Hey have you got your dtv channels loaded in yet or are you still having problems?

Christopher

will let you know over the coming days once my ugly HDMI cable arrives :blink:

havent noticed clouding yet. to be honest, i didnt even notice on the sony. About 1080p via VGA on the 360... according to this thread, it's not possible YET. Firmware update should fix it apparently.... *fingers crossed*

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....box+vga+samsung

Sound is pretty crap, Sony is better... sounds "fuller", but that's to be expected, since samsung points it's speakers downwards and they sit underneath the screen! basically you're buying it for the panel rather than the sound, and they probably expect you to hook it up to a nice audio system anyway. i'm very picky with my sound, as my car has a good audio system, so maybe crap to me is bearable for others... Kind of like buying a fast car with an ugly stereo really :D You're paying for the fast car, and they expect u to upgrade the sound system.

The HN salesman I spoke to showed me how easily the sony surrounds pop off, and you can just take it to someone to get professionally painted black for like $50... better than spending $400 or whatever it is... or you could wait for the new model which comes in black.

Yes, agree the Sammy sounds rubbish.

Why would anyone spend all the extra money on the Sony and then spend MORE money on painting it black? Thats's why HN is Hardly Normal. But I guess some people have more money than sense.

Yes, agree the Sammy sounds rubbish.

Why would anyone spend all the extra money on the Sony and then spend MORE money on painting it black? Thats's why HN is Hardly Normal. But I guess some people have more money than sense.

SRS TS XT doesn't make much difference :blink: Still sounds crappy hehe.. I just hook up some old Yamaha speakers up to it and it sounds OK cos it's got a sub too and quality speakers.

Hehe... nah the guy was actually suggesting a money saving way which was refreshing for a HN salesman... Basically he recommended not paying the $400 for the black bezel if I wanted it, and just get the bezel sprayed black instead for much cheaper. Wasn't trying to sell :D

I've manage to get the 46' set up and working with just scan on the htpc.

Heres a quick snap of it playing some 1080p HD-DVD content.

m8ti0.th.jpg

It looks alot better in real life, my canon ixus40 just doesn't do it justice.

either way, looks like its going to be perfect for my needs. Happy with it so far.

I've manage to get the 46' set up and working with just scan on the htpc.

Heres a quick snap of it playing some 1080p HD-DVD content.

m8ti0.th.jpg

It looks alot better in real life, my canon ixus40 just doesn't do it justice.

either way, looks like its going to be perfect for my needs. Happy with it so far.

Is that King Kong HD DVD or SD DVD?

hi jasoninmelbourne.

video card i am using is the nvidia 7900GT

after i plugged it into the Samsung TV it was at resolution 1280x768

in control panel it says the TV res is 1280x720 so i selected that and got overscan and could not see taskbar at bottom.

wasnt fussed about this but confused as to why it didnt say 1920x1080 azs TV res.

so i proceeded to set the screen res to 1920x1080 and again got overscan and no taskbar, icons on desktop missing.

the samsung wont let me choose that just scan mode. it serems to be stuck in PC mode and only allows 4:3 and 16:9

so i downloaded powerstrip and edited teh 1920x1080 settings and selected 16:9

then it fit the screen perfectly fine except for that green line on the left.

it sounds like i have my setup running differently to others. means i must have something wrong in the TV setup somewhere.

As you can see from my signature, I'm doing pretty much the same thing and loving it. No problems with any green line though. When Samsung UK first released the Just Scan patch for the F71 series, they issued this as part of the instructions to their technicians:

There may be some colour (a green, black) bar on the picture edge in the "Just Scan" mode. This will be a result of the output signal condition of the external device or the computer VGA card may be different according to the manufacturer.

That “garbage” bar is not a defect but caused by the content from the external device.

If you can see the edge garbage bar in the "Just Scan" mode, then switch the picture size to the "16:9" format.

What graphics card are you using?

. There's a few jaggies playing XBOX360 compared with the VGA...

Jaggies? Jagged Edges, not smooth??

hi jasoninmelbourne.

in control panel it says the TV res is 1280x720 so i selected that and got overscan and could not see taskbar at bottom.

wasnt fussed about this but confused as to why it didnt say 1920x1080 azs TV res.

so i proceeded to set the screen res to 1920x1080 and again got overscan and no taskbar, icons on desktop missing.

the samsung wont let me choose that just scan mode. it serems to be stuck in PC mode and only allows 4:3 and 16:9

it sounds like i have my setup running differently to others. means i must have something wrong in the TV setup somewhere.

Check page 54 of the manual for the precise pixel frequencies. What are your pixel frequencies now? Your graphics card seems adequate for the task.

My card has overscan compensation. Perhaps yours is set to On? If so, definitely need to turn it off.

As long as HDMI is plugged in it should allow Just Scan to be slected, no matter what the screen size setting on the graphics card.

hi jasoninmelbourne.

I had this exact issue. I removed PS and switched back to classic nvidia control panel. then played with the setting. set the display in nvidia to 1920 * 1080 p for the samsung (it knows its a tv). I also changed the port to HDMI 1 on the tv (but i doubt that made a difference).

Anyway. I managed to get it all working now and couldn't be happier.