Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Optical Audio Out

Does anyone know whether these Q91 Plasmas have Optical Audio Out from the inbuilt tuners. I am aware the new M8 LCDs have Optical Audio out.

I downloaded the manual and there is no specific mention of this interface, except these appears to be a Audio Out plug next to the PC input plug on Page 7 of the manual. I asked the Sales guy at JB hifi and he assures me that the Q91 plasmas do have an Optical Audio Out. Can anyone confirm this please.

Thanks,

I downloaded the manual and there is no specific mention of this interface, except these appears to be a Audio Out plug next to the PC input plug on Page 7 of the manual. I asked the Sales guy at JB hifi and he assures me that the Q91 plasmas do have an Optical Audio Out. Can anyone confirm this please.

The manual I linked to clearly has it pointed out (labeled 8, to right of component1), make sure you download the Q91HD manual.

Also specs now on site:-

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/plas...=Specifications

I ended up taking the 50inch back. Got the 46M81.

I've yet to see these two models, but I don't think I could live with less than a 50" screen and the 52" LCD is too expensive. Did you you miss the 50' screen when you downsized?

From what I've seen of other brands, there seems to be a fair bit of difference in size between 46" and 50".

I actually like the size of the 46 LCD. The 50inch does look nicer though, if that makes sense.

The quality of the 46inch is amazing though. Im getting used to the DTV difference and it is clear, but just not as clear as the 50inch.

Weighing it up, the 46inch is awesome if you watch HD-DVD/Bluray and play games. The 50inch is great if you watch alot of local tv shows. For myself i d/l tv shows, but i still think they was a little bit clearer on the 50inch.

I prob went over kill and should have got the 40inch.

The 46inch only looks a slight bit smaller than the 50inch, anyone who wants a 50inch tv get the 46inch you wouldnt hardly know the difference.

Are these units back in stores for sale now?

I know that this is a 50" thread, but what are the best deals for the 42 inch Q7 or Q9. I was offered 2300 for the Q7 with five year warranty on 12 months I/free at harveys SW wa. may try to take it down a bit more and go for it. what other prices have been haggled / taken???

Scar go with the Q9, I saw the 42inch Q9 for $2200 @ JB. I reckon you could get it for $2300 with a 5yr warranty, even with interest free. I got my 50inch for $2900 12mths interest free :blink:

Optical Audio Out

Does anyone know whether these Q91 Plasmas have Optical Audio Out from the inbuilt tuners. I am aware the new M8 LCDs have Optical Audio out.

Thanks,

Yes, I can confirm an optical audio out. I even get DD5.1 on some movies on digital channel 90. The optical audio out also works for the analogue tuner (stereo only of course).

Cheers,

morkli.

Yes, I can confirm an optical audio out. I even get DD5.1 on some movies on digital channel 90. The optical audio out also works for the analogue tuner (stereo only of course).

Cheers,

morkli.

Morkli, have you experienced any of the residual image problems that Pallamallawa highlighted earlier? Are you using your panel for gaming?

ta,

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great info...its helped me so much!!

I am about to purcahse the 42inch Q9...was tossing up between the Pana 42PV600A...but its dreaded purple snake problem has scared me away! :blink:

Quick question...does the Q9 series have the Digital Natural Image engine (DNIe) like the Q7? I've read in other threads that DNIe does not work too well but if you can turn it off. I've checked the specs and the Q9 does'nt seem to have this feature...but I just wanted to make sure.

I went to JB (Midland - WA) and the store person told me that they don't have any Q9's because of the recall mentioned in this thread but they will have the replacement models in by Wed.

Cheers

It has it on the 50" so i assume its there on the 42". Now when i spoke to the guy from Samsung he aid you cant turn it off. But it there and it states Off, Demo, On. The guy reckon its the demo im actually swtching on, but i think he is wrong.

It definately makes the colour darker and i prefer to have it off, remembering that i switched from the 50" Q9 to the 46" M81 LCD.

Thanks for that Pallamallawa,

Just had a look at the review posted earlier in this thread

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/sa..._ps50q97hdx.htm and it says....

The Samsung PS50Q97HDX is notable for its huge array of available manual adjustments. We judged this screen on factory presets, but from a little foray into the screens manual adjustments we are pretty confident that you would be able to tweak the PS50Q97HDX to suit most circumstances - you can even switch DNIe off completely.

So assuming the PS50Q97HDX and the PS50Q91HDX are the same TV which I think they are, you definilty should be able to turn DNIe off. Its a little strange because with the previous Q7 model this was done through service menu ----> Option Block ----> FRC Samsung. Here you change setting called LBE Proc from 3FH to 40H. I tried this at JB but the menu's on the Q91 seem to be different as I could'nt find this setting.

As you say it now may be as easy as turning it to off - has anyone else been able to turn DNIe off??

I have a similar problem on my Samsunq Q9 (42 inch)

When 'pic mode' is changed while watching component 2 input, left half of screen goes black.

Stays black even when changed to DTV.

How did you go with your Q9.

Hi, I am having a problem with my Q9 (2 days old) has anyone come across anything similar ?

One of my component inputs (component 2 to be prcise) goes green if I change the picture setting, using any of the predefined settings.

It is at "dynamic" by default, if i change it to "movie" for example, screen goes green. If I try changing it through the menu options, it doesnt let me change it. I can manually change all the individual settings though i.e. colour, contrast etc. and its fine.

Any ideas anyone??

I will definitely call samsung on monday and see what they say !! But I am disappointed. If anything, I will swap it for a different one later in the week.

Need to knowif anyone has had a similar problem and what was the solution??

Morkli, have you experienced any of the residual image problems that Pallamallawa highlighted earlier? Are you using your panel for gaming?

ta,

No, I haven't. I don't use it for gaming, but I do watch 4:3 DVDs (black borders on both sides) and 2.35:1 DVDs (black borders top and bottom) a fair bit and I haven't had any problems with residual images. I also use my PC on it, ie. Windows XP desktop, etc. No problems so far either. Good rule of thumb I think would be to turn brightness and contrast down a bit and keep to anything you may think would be a problem to around 2 hours or less. Also, turn on the pixel orbiter.

Cheers,

morkli.

Thanks for that Pallamallawa,

Just had a look at the review posted earlier in this thread

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/sa..._ps50q97hdx.htm and it says....

The Samsung PS50Q97HDX is notable for its huge array of available manual adjustments. We judged this screen on factory presets, but from a little foray into the screens manual adjustments we are pretty confident that you would be able to tweak the PS50Q97HDX to suit most circumstances - you can even switch DNIe off completely.

So assuming the PS50Q97HDX and the PS50Q91HDX are the same TV which I think they are, you definilty should be able to turn DNIe off. Its a little strange because with the previous Q7 model this was done through service menu ----> Option Block ----> FRC Samsung. Here you change setting called LBE Proc from 3FH to 40H. I tried this at JB but the menu's on the Q91 seem to be different as I could'nt find this setting.

As you say it now may be as easy as turning it to off - has anyone else been able to turn DNIe off??

Yes, I it's easy to turn off in the menu (just the normal menu, not the service menu, although the option is there too I believe) on the Q9. I have done so for some material, but find myself leaving it on for digital TV viewing. It seems to do better with higher quality source material, like the HD channels.

Cheers,

morkli.

No, I haven't. I don't use it for gaming, but I do watch 4:3 DVDs (black borders on both sides) and 2.35:1 DVDs (black borders top and bottom) a fair bit and I haven't had any problems with residual images. I also use my PC on it, ie. Windows XP desktop, etc. No problems so far either. Good rule of thumb I think would be to turn brightness and contrast down a bit and keep to anything you may think would be a problem to around 2 hours or less. Also, turn on the pixel orbiter.

Cheers,

morkli.

Thanks Morkli - I think this is TV for me. I never considered aspect ratio of DVDs... Looks like my fav' music DVD is 4:3 which kind of sucks. Never thought of it before.

So what is the best price people are getting these for - I noticed $2924 (inc delivery) on ebay. Has anybody done any better in the retail stores?

So what is the best price people are getting these for - I noticed $2924 (inc delivery) on ebay. Has anybody done any better in the retail stores?

When i got mine i paid $2900 Delivered from JB hifi.

I dont have it anymore though.

Cheers,

morkli.

Hey Folks I am about to take a punt on the 42 inch Q9. I understand that I need to run the TV in for at least 100 hours (such a long time...) and turn the contrast and brightness down before I hit it with some Xbox360.

Any tips on the best channels to run it in? What channels should I try to avoid? Is there a channel that run constantly in 16:9 (loop) that I could use to run it in overnight?

Maybe one of the HD loops? No watermark to worry about, and constantly changing pictures.

Maybe one of the HD loops? No watermark to worry about, and constantly changing pictures.

Thank you Reiko, Any other suggestions?

$3100 from JB HiFi incl 5 year warranty and delivery. Also got a 32" R81 for $1,500 as part of the deal.

Loving the 50" although had to get the tech out to repair the DTV tuner. But all good now.

DigitalCentre in Melb advertising this unit for $2,860

Not a bad bargining start!