Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Me and watch the screen burn on the Q9. I played the xbox360 for about 4 hours last night. Must have run that screen burn about 10 times, the white one and the signal one ( black to white ). Turned it off and on a few times and I still have an image on the screen. The image wasnt always 100% static either as there was cut scenes in between and i puased it a few times. The game was Lost Planet, the radar in the top right hand corner.

Not happy cause i took all precautions. When i run it on white i cant see the image burn, but when its run on the signal one or some pictures on DTV it can be seen.

Its slowly going away, but its abit of a pain.

How many of you are experiencing the digital reception problem mentioned in this thread?

Cheers,

morkli.

didnt you get the 46M LCD ? If so how many did they have left do you know.

Im going to pay the extra and get the LCD i think.

Plasma’s need about 100 hours run in before you game on them, as burn in is a risk with fresh phosphor.

Contrast setting should also be kept modest at all times when gaming, and preferable the rest of the time as well.

The same rules apply to CRT’s.

Hi, I am having a problem with my Q9 (2 days old) has anyone come across anything similar ?

One of my component inputs (component 2 to be prcise) goes green if I change the picture setting, using any of the predefined settings.

It is at "dynamic" by default, if i change it to "movie" for example, screen goes green. If I try changing it through the menu options, it doesnt let me change it. I can manually change all the individual settings though i.e. colour, contrast etc. and its fine.

Any ideas anyone??

I will definitely call samsung on monday and see what they say !! But I am disappointed. If anything, I will swap it for a different one later in the week.

Need to knowif anyone has had a similar problem and what was the solution??

Plasma’s need about 100 hours run in before you game on them, as burn in is a risk with fresh phosphor.

Contrast setting should also be kept modest at all times when gaming, and preferable the rest of the time as well.

The same rules apply to CRT’s.

Yeh i was very cautious. Its the first week ive had my 360 back since i got a 50inch plasma. I ran the screen burn about 10 times during the 4 hrs i was playing it. I also paused it which made the screen image change. I took 2 calls and turned the screen off whilst on the calls. The setting is set to normal, with dynamic contrast switched off. Brightness 45, Contrast 70. Still put an image, it states running the screen burn for an hour and it still is slightly there.

I dare say it hasnt been on for 100hrs yet as its only a week old. but this is pretty bad. I had a panasonic 42 inch for yrs and never had a prob.

Ahh well........With the other list of faults its got Im getting it swapped. Going to get the 46inch LCD today.

You really must run the set in before gaming, the longer the better.

A Contrast setting of 70 is only a number, it tells you nothing about how hard you are driving the phosphor. Only a light meter will tell you that, and the optimal setting could well be much less then 70 on that model.

didnt you get the 46M LCD ? If so how many did they have left do you know.

Im going to pay the extra and get the LCD i think.

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I've got the 50" Q9. I've not looked at the LCD.

Sorry to hear about your (hopefully temporary) screen burn in. I don't have a Xbox360 or PS3, since I don't be play a lot of games, so I'm not too worried about it.

Cheers,

morkli.

I ended up taking the 50inch back, the mark off the screen had pretty much gone. but it is a pain to always have to use the screen burn. Got the 46M81. Looks different. The Q9 is definately a good tv. Watching DTV looks better on Q9, Blu ray obviously look better on 46M81 on 1080p. Still muckin round with settings. I like it though.

$4100 it cost me all up.

Watching DTV looks better on Q9

Can you elaborate a little please? What makes it look better?

I'm about to purchase a LA46M81 (probably this week)

Edit: $4100 is a pretty good price. I got quoted $4090 delivered. Will probably try for a bit less when I'm actually pulling out the credit card.

Its very grainy compared to the Q9, very pixelated........this is only whilst watching DTV.

1080p on blu ray movies look amazing. Just watched Open Season and it looks truely stunning.

The xbox360 looks awesome also, I only have it hooked up via component but it looks very, very good. No screen burn.....yay :blink:

If you had run the Plasma in before gaming on it, burn in should not have been a problem.

Ahh crap. I got a mate who has a 50inch plasma and its 1yr old, even after gaming on that it still has burn in.

But after all, you do know all :blink:

Ahh crap. I got a mate who has a 50inch plasma and its 1yr old, even after gaming on that it still has burn in.

Which brand is your mates?

NEC.

With the Samsung, I was very cautious. I had run the screen protection over 10 times in 4 hrs, turned the tv off 2 times. Paused it which changed screen image, cut scenes from the Game and it still seemed to happen. The image was pretty much all but gone by the time i took it back. You couldnt see it on the full white screen burn screen, only slightly on the signal one.

My point was, after all that and it still burnt in, regardless if it was under 200 hrs, People should be extra careful. Alls i wanted to do was sit down for a few hours and have a game. I dont get to do it much and Im glad i got the lcd as now i wont have to worry too much about this.

On saying that. The Q9 was better for watching DTV.

Dude, many thousands of people game on Plasma’s without problems.

If the contrast is set to high and you are careless, you can burn any phosphor based display.

To be classed as burn in, a residual image must be permanent.

How many of you are experiencing the digital reception problem mentioned in this thread?

Cheers,

morkli.

Hey Morkli

This out: Hot off the press yesterday:

Samsung has requested that retailers temporarily stop selling its new flagship M8 and R8 series LCDs and its Q9 series plasmas following the discovery of a digital tuner glitch in limited number of units which causes the TV signal to drop out when watching free to air digital TV.

The company issued an urgent service bulletin this afternoon – printed in full below – explaining the fault and requesting that retailers cease from selling the listed products and contact the company with any queries they have.

The statement reads:

“Since the launch of Samsung’s new line of LCDs and plasma televisions, Samsung has identified a tuning fault with a limited number of its M8 and R8 series LCDs and Q9 plasma televisions, and is working to resolve the issue shortly,” said the statement.

“Not all units are affected and there are no safety issues involved.

“The fault has occurred in the tuning of digital free-to-air television channels, resulting in the tuner dropping out intermittently. The analogue tuner is not affected and consumers can still watch free-to-air television using their analogue tuner.

“No other current or past Samsung LCD or plasma models are affected. This issue only effects selected shipments of new models.

“The models in question are the LA40M81/BDX, LA46M81/BDX, LA32R81/BDX, LA40R81/BDX, PS42Q91/HDX and the PS50Q91/HDX.

“Samsung is currently investigating the matter, and taking the necessary quality control steps to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

“Samsung are informing their retail partners of the tuner fault, and will continue to provide updates as they become available. Until the matter has been resolved, Samsung has recommended that retailers temporarily hold off selling these units.

“Dealers and customers can contact Samsung on 1300 362 603. A dedicated phone path has been created, so that callers will receive priority on their query.

“Samsung’s mission is to provide innovative digital convergence products that possess exceptional technology, quality, features and value. Commitment to quality and superior customer service is, and always will be, our number one priority.”

Samsung Australia first launched the affected televisions to its retail partners at a roadshow held late last month in Sydney, with the new full HD M8 paraded as the apple of the Korean company’s eye.

The R8 series LCD is also an important product for the company following the successful R7 series, which was the number one selling LCD for much the latter part of 2006 and in early 2007.

Wow that looks great. Might be worth getting the hd dvd player for my 360 to go on my PS42Q91HDX.

Pallamallawa, do you have any trouble with digital channels not loading straight away as Im still having problems with mine?

Hi there TrentC

Check this out - hot off the press yesterday.STOP THE PRESS:

Samsung has requested that retailers temporarily stop selling its new flagship M8 and R8 series LCDs and its Q9 series plasmas following the discovery of a digital tuner glitch in limited number of units which causes the TV signal to drop out when watching free to air digital TV.

The company issued an urgent service bulletin this afternoon – printed in full below – explaining the fault and requesting that retailers cease from selling the listed products and contact the company with any queries they have.

The statement reads:

“Since the launch of Samsung’s new line of LCDs and plasma televisions, Samsung has identified a tuning fault with a limited number of its M8 and R8 series LCDs and Q9 plasma televisions, and is working to resolve the issue shortly,” said the statement.

“Not all units are affected and there are no safety issues involved.

“The fault has occurred in the tuning of digital free-to-air television channels, resulting in the tuner dropping out intermittently. The analogue tuner is not affected and consumers can still watch free-to-air television using their analogue tuner.

“No other current or past Samsung LCD or plasma models are affected. This issue only effects selected shipments of new models.

“The models in question are the LA40M81/BDX, LA46M81/BDX, LA32R81/BDX, LA40R81/BDX, PS42Q91/HDX and the PS50Q91/HDX.

“Samsung is currently investigating the matter, and taking the necessary quality control steps to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

“Samsung are informing their retail partners of the tuner fault, and will continue to provide updates as they become available. Until the matter has been resolved, Samsung has recommended that retailers temporarily hold off selling these units.

“Dealers and customers can contact Samsung on 1300 362 603. A dedicated phone path has been created, so that callers will receive priority on their query.

“Samsung’s mission is to provide innovative digital convergence products that possess exceptional technology, quality, features and value. Commitment to quality and superior customer service is, and always will be, our number one priority.”

Samsung Australia first launched the affected televisions to its retail partners at a roadshow held late last month in Sydney, with the new full HD M8 paraded as the apple of the Korean company’s eye.

The R8 series LCD is also an important product for the company following the successful R7 series, which was the number one selling LCD for much the latter part of 2006 and in early 2007.

Check this out - hot off the press yesterday.STOP THE PRESS:

So HOT that you had to post it twice ?!? :blink::D

Cheers,

morkli.

So HOT that you had to post it twice ?!? :blink::P

Cheers,

morkli.

OOPS Sorry - I'm a brand new member and made a bit of a boob :D I am based in South Africa and was searching around google trying to find a decent review on the Q9. We have also just received the new SAMSUNG Q9 Stock. Strangley, the Q7 was available only just recently here. 3 of my mates rushed out and bought the Q7 after it received 5 stars in "What Hi-Fi Magazine". They were so upset to discover that the Q9 was out just 2 short weeks later. Not to knock the Q7 which sounds like an excellent telly for it's money - But everybody needs the extra HDMI slots for the future.

I'm just hoping the Q9 is a move up in quality as well as the HDMI additions ????? There seem to be mixed feelings in this forum about it all ...

I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what SAMSUNG South Africa say about all this Digital Tuner stuff. We cannot test ours yet, as our digital signals will only be available from later next year.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your purchases ... I hope Samung here will be as good with their service as they sound in Australia

Good Luck :P

My sets are held up yet again :blink: , the place has offered me the new Panasonic TH50PX70A in place of the Samsungs if I dont want to wait .. Hmmm.. decisions decisions..

Not sure what to do now..

I was hoping to get some clarification on the difference between the PS42Q7HDX and the PS42Q91HDX. I have not been able to find much info on the Q9 (other then the recall. What are the benefits of one over the other? also what are the going rates for these panels (42inch) without warranty?

Thanks, S

I was hoping to get some clarification on the difference between the PS42Q7HDX and the PS42Q91HDX. I have not been able to find much info on the Q9 (other then the recall. What are the benefits of one over the other? also what are the going rates for these panels (42inch) without warranty?

Thanks, S

Hoping to find out the same information... want to get either of these units in 42" but can't find any information...

Hoping to find out the same information... want to get either of these units in 42" but can't find any information...

From what I have gathered the Q9 is the new (current) model which also has 3 x HDMI inputs, a "nicer" black finish, swivel stand, and 15000:1 contrast ratio..

Check out the review of the panel posted earlier in this post.

The q9 is the new model (some spec differences 15000:1, 1500cd/m2, UltraFilter Bright)

Manual:-

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/products...amp;filetype=UM

Links:-

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...=cr%3DcountryAU

also, samsungs new c91 model will be released in the coming weeks, and from reports will be the same as the US's lower 42&50" models, meaning only main difference is it has the normal colour filter not the 'purebright' colour filter(ie less reflection)

around $250 less on each model compared to q91

just FYI