Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Hi Guys,

Yeah i am playing back blu ray disc on the ps3.

Also ponlesabor, is the toshiba EP-10, one level down form the XE1 a good upscaling dvd player?

Cheers,

K.

The EP-10 is excellent at upscaling DVDs. $150 well spent when it was in runout mode!

Hi,

Yep i thought it was. I paid $120 for it as it was a display. I loaded up national treasure DVD 2 nights ago and i was surprised it was a DVD! It was that good! Mind you i was sitting 3.5M away from my 42" 1024X768 Plasma!

Is the XE1 much better than the EP10 at upscaling SD-DVD's?

Cheers,

K.

The EP-10 is excellent at upscaling DVDs. $150 well spent when it was in runout mode!

Hi,

Yep i thought it was. I paid $120 for it as it was a display. I loaded up national treasure DVD 2 nights ago and i was surprised it was a DVD! It was that good! Mind you i was sitting 3.5M away from my 42" 1024X768 Plasma!

Is the XE1 much better than the EP10 at upscaling SD-DVD's?

Cheers,

K.

Nice find! I've got one too and couldn't be happier - I feel like it's given the old DVDs a new lease in life.

XE-1 is more superior (and the Oppo 983 better still) but you'll only really notice if you grab a beanbag and sit up nice and close to your TV :)

42" at 3.5m - you won't notice any difference between an EP-10 and XE-1.

Thanks :) I am thinking to get a new TV soon. I only had this 42" like in november last year. But i am going to give it to a family member and purchase a bigger set hopefully 50". I don't think i will get a Full HD as i don't think i can justify its price. It will be a plasma. Probably between the panasonic 80 series or a samsung? I wanted the pioneer 508XDA but can't find one! What do you think?

Cheers,

K.

Nice find! I've got one too and couldn't be happier - I feel like it's given the old DVDs a new lease in life.

XE-1 is more superior (and the Oppo 983 better still) but you'll only really notice if you grab a beanbag and sit up nice and close to your TV :)

42" at 3.5m - you won't notice any difference between an EP-10 and XE-1.

Thanks :) I am thinking to get a new TV soon. I only had this 42" like in november last year. But i am going to give it to a family member and purchase a bigger set hopefully 50". I don't think i will get a Full HD as i don't think i can justify its price. It will be a plasma. Probably between the panasonic 80 series or a samsung? I wanted the pioneer 508XDA but can't find one! What do you think?

That's exactly what I'd be doing. Grabbing an 508XDA if you can somehow find one (I read there was one in Canberra?) otherwise it's between the Pana 80A or Sammy Q91.

Thanks :) I have almost given up on the pioneer. So its down to the Sammy Q91 or Pana 80A... Helpppp :)

I wonder if anyone have compared the 2 sets?

That's exactly what I'd be doing. Grabbing an 508XDA if you can somehow find one (I read there was one in Canberra?) otherwise it's between the Pana 80A or Sammy Q91.

Thanks :) I have almost given up on the pioneer. So its down to the Sammy Q91 or Pana 80A... Helpppp :)

I wonder if anyone have compared the 2 sets?

I was in the JB at Kedron (Brisbane) today and I am sure they had a 50" Kuro for $2999. (They also had the 1080p model too) If that is what you are chasing give them a call to check on it.

Thanks but unfortunately i am Sydney based...

I was in the JB at Kedron (Brisbane) today and I am sure they had a 50" Kuro for $2999. (They also had the 1080p model too) If that is what you are chasing give them a call to check on it.

I have a 42Q91 that I've had since February, so it should have well over 100 hours up ;). I have read things in this thread about 'calibrated' settings, what are they? Aren't the settings really calibrated by one's eyes? When I looked at the one in Harvey Norman down here it was sitting next to a C91 and the blacks looked so much better, the tennis was on and the contrast and definition was so much more noticeable on the Q91. It may have been deliberate on the part of the shop to set them different to sell more of the better model but for the life of me I can't get decent black viewing at home.

I've got several different settings to try that I've found in this thread and a few others, but what is calibrating and should I bother, or should I just try a few different settings and see which I like best?

Cheers in advance,

Tony

I would like to know too if anyone so kind can offer the settings :)

You've got me puzzled there - where in the menu is there a "standby mode upgrade" setting?

Just got the Samsung ps50c91 last week for $1895 at Harvey Norman, what a great unit, although it was tricky working out why it was turning itself on/off by itself when in standby, turns out it was the Standby Mode Upgrade being set to ON.. Would never haved worked that out withouut this forum.... Thanks!!

You've got me puzzled there - where in the menu is there a "standby mode upgrade" setting?

Just got the Samsung ps50c91 last week for $1895 at Harvey Norman, what a great unit, although it was tricky working out why it was turning itself on/off by itself when in standby, turns out it was the Standby Mode Upgrade being set to ON.. Would never haved worked that out withouut this forum.... Thanks!!

Hi Guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, I have the 42Q91 just wondering does the panel accept 1080P/24?

What is the native res it accepts? 720P or 1080i?

Not sure what to set my Toshiba EP-10 HD DVD player to. either 1080i or 720P etc

Cheers,

K.

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx offers host of customized movie settings to help you make the most out of your movie-viewing experience. The remote controll wall-mount is one among its bonus features.