Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Cool_db

As you know I have the same panel and I just checked the program numbers in the timer menu. I have access to 10 channels not 6. I have not set a timer yet to see which tuner it is using. I would have assumed if it is on the digital tuner it would turn on to the digital channels however i may need to check that out.

By the way, how did you go with picture settings. Have you found better settings now that the panel has been run in. i'll let you know

Al.

Thanks Snowboy for ur reply..

Please let me know once you check which tuner it turns on with on-timer on ur TV...

Can u let me know whether 'Channel' menu option is 'grayed' or available in ur case when u go to Menu (not D.Menu)??

Abt the settings - as my TV is still under 100 hrs, so I'm not playing with it... PQ is definitely getting better each day.. After 100 hrs, I might only need to increase contrast and bit of brightness..

Cool_db

Cool_db

I think I have the answer!!! Haven't tried the timer but played with the menu's. The program numbers in the timer menu are definately for the analog tuner. I have more in my panel because they are selected in the TV/Channel/Channel manager/Channel list option which the TV source is for the analog tuner. "Channel" is greyed out in the DTV source mode because I believe all the channel options and setups are done during "Plug and Play".

The digital timer for on/off is accessed by going into D.menu then selecting Scheduled List. Use the red button at the bottom of the remote to add a program and enter in on/off time and day and frequency.

Hope this helps and does what you need.

Al.

Cool_db

The digital timer for on/off is accessed by going into D.menu then selecting Scheduled List. Use the red button at the bottom of the remote to add a program and enter in on/off time and day and frequency.

Hope this helps and does what you need.

Al.

Not really, Scheduled List doesn't turn on TV... If TV is already ON and u r watching some other channel then Scheduled List will just switch the channel to scheduled channel but it wont turn on the TV...

Hi Folks,

I have a Samsung PS42Q91HDX. This is my second unit. The first one was returned because of a faulty internal DSTB, and really bad motion blur for motorsports. So I got my replacement after waiting for the stock to come in. The internal DSTB works a treat now. But when the bikes are on (World Superbikes on Foxtel, MotoGP on Foxtel/Channel 10 HD), the V8 Supercars (Channel 7/7 HD) and Formula 1 (Channel 10/10HD), the motion blur is hideous, to the point of becoming really annoying. I have tried all the different modes, MoviePlus on/off, DNiE on/off, edge enhancer, sharpness etc., etc., Nothing will get rid of it. Even the fast rotation of the footy while watching AFL causes a shimmer (but not as bad as the bikes). This has happened on two brand new panels. I would like to know if other owners of the Q91/C91-series have experienced this, and what their solution was. Mine looks like getting a refund and putting it towards a new Panasonic TH-42PX80A (the Pana = 100Hz, the Sammy = 50Hz).

Not really, Scheduled List doesn't turn on TV... If TV is already ON and u r watching some other channel then Scheduled List will just switch the channel to scheduled channel but it wont turn on the TV...

Cool_db

How often do you need to use the timer to turn the TV on? As a work around to use the timer do you think it will switch on from the analog timer and then set the scheduled list to switch across 1 minute later to digital. Sorry if I'm not being much help as I don't need to use the timer myself but now feel the need to figure out how it could/should work.

Al.

Cool_db

How often do you need to use the timer to turn the TV on? As a work around to use the timer do you think it will switch on from the analog timer and then set the scheduled list to switch across 1 minute later to digital. Sorry if I'm not being much help as I don't need to use the timer myself but now feel the need to figure out how it could/should work.

Al.

Well I also dont need timer much.. Thats the good workaround.. I was just testing ontimer functionality and dont understand - if we can see digital channel (they are already in memory), why cannot we use ontimer to turn on TV for digital channel. if panel can turn on TV for analog ch then it shud turn on digital also, thats what i was thinking..

There is an easy way to use scheduled list though instead of going in D.Menu... Just press Guide button at the bottom of remote and select any program u want see and it will switch the channel to scheduled one at selected time..

I had a samsung q 42" plasma which would become fuzzy and blurry on the top quarter of the screen when watching sports.

Since then it has been stolen and I will be upgrading through insurance.

I have been offered the following to pay to upgrade:

50PG60UD - $446

50PG20D - $ 214

PS50Q91HDX - $720

I am leaning more towards the 50PG20D but would like to know why there is so much negativity towards LG??

Hi Folks,

I have a Samsung PS42Q91HDX. This is my second unit. The first one was returned because of a faulty internal DSTB, and really bad motion blur for motorsports. So I got my replacement after waiting for the stock to come in. The internal DSTB works a treat now. But when the bikes are on (World Superbikes on Foxtel, MotoGP on Foxtel/Channel 10 HD), the V8 Supercars (Channel 7/7 HD) and Formula 1 (Channel 10/10HD), the motion blur is hideous, to the point of becoming really annoying. I have tried all the different modes, MoviePlus on/off, DNiE on/off, edge enhancer, sharpness etc., etc., Nothing will get rid of it. Even the fast rotation of the footy while watching AFL causes a shimmer (but not as bad as the bikes). This has happened on two brand new panels. I would like to know if other owners of the Q91/C91-series have experienced this, and what their solution was. Mine looks like getting a refund and putting it towards a new Panasonic TH-42PX80A (the Pana = 100Hz, the Sammy = 50Hz).

Hey Markus. While no expert, I'm in the process of taking samsung to VCAT over another of their tv products, so I've done some reasearch & have some news for you. Stick with the Panasonic! Apparently the Q9 has had multiple failures as yours has. Supposedly the P9 is better, but go with the Pany!

Any advice guys?

Hey Res. Call a few of your local repairers & ask them. Some people who own one will swear by them, most people, especially those who have to repair them, will give you another story............

If you can get a Panasonic for a bit more, DO IT !!

"Supposedly the P9 is better" sorry but that's not the case. My father-in-law has the 50"P9 and I have the 50" Q9. He is never happy when he comes over and sees mine and I can concur with him. Early Q9's may have had some issues but the one I bought in Oct 07 has never missed a beat and is truly great picture imo.

Hi Guys,

I have the 42" version of this panel, does anyone know if watching HD content eg Blu ray and HD-DVD is better at 720P or 1080i on this panel?

Cheers,

Kenn.

I just noticed this weekend when I was playing with my Q9 that I have no access to PIP function in menu. It shows PIP but not highlighted and it wont let me select that as an option is the menu.

Any suggestions are appreciated as I have read the manual and navigated everywhere but it wont come up for me?

I just noticed this weekend when I was playing with my Q9 that I have no access to PIP function in menu. It shows PIP but not highlighted and it wont let me select that as an option is the menu.

PIP only works in certain modes on most samsungs. You are probably in DTV mode (ie Digital Free to Air TV) which doesn't allow PIP. If you change to a HDMI/Component/etc device you have connected (source button) then try PIP it should work. See your manual for what combinations PIP works with.

Hi Guys,

Is the Q9 panel good at scaling or should i leave that to my DVD player?

Thanks,

Kenn.

A 42" q9 is 1024*768 so your DVD player isn't going to scale to that resoluton so I would just leave it to the TV.

But try both and trust your eyes.

Hi cttc.

Thanks for the info. Is 1024X768 720P?

Also i forgot to mention i am using a toshiba hd-dvd (EP-10) player to playback my dvds and HD-DVD's. It upscales.. Also i have a PS3 that i use for Blu Ray's. But as you said maybe use the TV to be the scaler?

Thanks,

K.

Thanks cttc. It was a nice read.

Well got my new Pazzy Saturday.

The P50Q9FDX .

Looks wicked.

Yeah and the Footy looks crap because of the feed from Foxtel.

The commercials look great.

Oh and if anyone has any info for me being a new owner

please post here,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=65526

cheers.

SD or HD feed from Foxtel? How crap is crap?

Do you find that SD content doesn't cut it on the HD display?

Hi cttc.

Thanks for the info. Is 1024X768 720P?

Also i forgot to mention i am using a toshiba hd-dvd (EP-10) player to playback my dvds and HD-DVD's. It upscales.. Also i have a PS3 that i use for Blu Ray's. But as you said maybe use the TV to be the scaler?

Thanks,

K.

Hi k3nnis, I got same screen as you, 50" Q9 plasma.. can you plz tell me how is the quality of blu-ray discs on ur screen from PS3? As it is not full-HD screen, is it really worth buying blu-ray player for this HD-plasma TV? Currently I'm using basic dvd player but considering to buy blu-ray player but I'm not sure whether I can get any marginal difference in PQ... Need some suggestions.

Hi cool_db,

I have the 42" version of the Q9. I can tell the difference between DVD vs Blu Ray using the PS3. Difference is not huge but it is there. It really is up to you to see if its worth it :) Perhaps demo it in a shop.

Cheers.

Hi cool_db,

I have the 42" version of the Q9. I can tell the difference between DVD vs Blu Ray using the PS3. Difference is not huge but it is there. It really is up to you to see if its worth it :) Perhaps demo it in a shop.

Cheers.

Thanks for reply.. You don't see much difference in PQ, is it bcoz you are running DVD as well as blu-ray disc on same PS3? I mean normal SD-DVD content will be upscaled to 1080i using ur PS3. Mine current DVD player is not upscaling, its just basic $40 player.. So should I expect some marginal difference in PQ with blu-ray player or should I just go for upscaling DVD player to get that difference?

Thanks

Cool_db

Thanks for reply.. You don't see much difference in PQ, is it bcoz you are running DVD as well as blu-ray disc on same PS3? I mean normal SD-DVD content will be upscaled to 1080i using ur PS3. Mine current DVD player is not upscaling, its just basic $40 player.. So should I expect some marginal difference in PQ with blu-ray player or should I just go for upscaling DVD player to get that difference?

Thanks

Cool_db

Hi cool_db and k3nnis,

Just wanted to post some thoughts re DVD quality and playback using different sources.

The PS3's DVD upscaling to 1080p does do a better job than, say, a $70 LG DVD player outputting 576i. The PS3 is about on par with your typical $150-$200 upscaling-and-outputting-via-HDMI DVD players. End result is more than acceptable.

Same story for the current crop of Blu-ray players in that your DVDs will look marginally better than a $70 job.

As an aside, if you want your DVDs to look fantastic rather than just "acceptable", go for an Oppo 983 for about $400 whose upscaling chip is the same as players costing up to $2000. Then there's the discountinued Toshiba XE-1 which is also great. Despite HD-DVD being phased out there was a clamour for these players largely due to it's excellent DVD upscaling capability.

Edited by ponlesabor

Hi Guys,

Yeah i am playing back blu ray disc on the ps3.

Also ponlesabor, is the toshiba EP-10, one level down form the XE1 a good upscaling dvd player?

Cheers,

K.