Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Hi Kulfi, Thanks for ur reply... I know what u saying... Last month price of Q9 was $2500 in most of the stores and price of C9 was $2000 - 2100... Since last week retravision (and also good guys) has reduced price of Q9 to $1999. In retravision I bargained Q9 to $1890, but he cud not give any discount to me for C9 so it remained at $2100. Thats why I went for Q9 ... Now if I change my order and go for C9, I'll have to pay difference ie $200.. By the way, I haven't heard Q9 cheaper than $1890, u might be right but what is the lowest price u heard for Q9?

If the Q9 was going for $2500 last month, why were people buying the Full HD 50" P9 for $2461 in February ? The price of the Q9 has always been lower than the P9 (for obvious reasons) and $2500 is a pure rip-off.

I'm willing to accept $1890 as a good price for the Q9. Let's move on from there.

The C9 has always been and will always be at least $200 cheaper than the Q9. If Retravision tries to tell you otherwise, they're lying. Just go into a Myer store with your Q9 receipt and see how low he can go. You might be able to pick up the Q9 for $1800 if you ask him to beat Retravision convincingly. Otherwise, ask Myer for the C9 for $1700 and get your money back from Retravision if he doesn't match that kind of quote.

If the Q9 was going for $2500 last month, why were people buying the Full HD 50" P9 for $2461 in February ? The price of the Q9 has always been lower than the P9 (for obvious reasons) and $2500 is a pure rip-off.

I'm willing to accept $1890 as a good price for the Q9. Let's move on from there.

The C9 has always been and will always be at least $200 cheaper than the Q9. If Retravision tries to tell you otherwise, they're lying. Just go into a Myer store with your Q9 receipt and see how low he can go. You might be able to pick up the Q9 for $1800 if you ask him to beat Retravision convincingly. Otherwise, ask Myer for the C9 for $1700 and get your money back from Retravision if he doesn't match that kind of quote.

Well, I'm preety much happy with the deal that I got.. If u read above malts posting, he has very recently (may be just 2-3 days back) paid $2200 for 50" C9 with extra warranty which is around $250 for 3 yrs, so basically he paid $1950 for C9 unit without warranty. I paid $1890 for Q9.. retravision didnt lie to me in anyway. I'm looking at C9 n Q9 prices since last 2 months, so I already know price C9 is around $200 cheaper than Q9. What retravision did is they put Q9 on special so price for Q9 become less than thr C9 price. If they give Q9 on special i dont think they should also give C9 for special only bcoz it is $200 cheaper than Q9. Yesterday I got catalogue of Wow store, their price in this catalogue for 50" Q9 is $2299 (Price might be 100-200 less after negotiation) and price for 50" P9 mentioned by Good Guys is $3200. Anyway as i said I'm happy with my deal..

All what i wanted to know is whether Q9 is really that bad considering reflection moire effect. Whether people are happy with thr Q9 set?

Cheers

Edited by cool_db

Well, I'm preety much happy with the deal that I got.. If u read above malts posting, he has very recently (may be just 2-3 days back) paid $2200 for 50" C9 with extra warranty which is around $250 for 3 yrs, so basically he paid $1950 for C9 unit without warranty. I paid $1890 for Q9.. retravision didnt lie to me in anyway. I'm looking at C9 n Q9 prices since last 2 months, so I already know price C9 is around $200 cheaper than Q9. What retravision did is they put Q9 on special so price for Q9 become less than thr C9 price. If they give Q9 on special i dont think they should also give C9 for special only bcoz it is $200 cheaper than Q9. Yesterday I got catalogue of Good Guys, their price in this catalogue for 50" Q9 is $2299 (Price might be 100-200 less after negotiation) and price for 50" P9 mentioned is $3200. Anyway as i said I'm happy with my deal..

All what i wanted to know is whether Q9 is really that bad considering reflection moire effect. Whether people are happy with thr Q9 set?

Cheers

I have owned the 50"Q9 since Oct 07 and I can honestly say I have not experienced reflection moire effect at all. I saw the Q9 and C9 side by side and it was an easy decision for me. Very happy with my purchase even though I did pay $2900 inc ext warranty then.

I have owned the 50"Q9 since Oct 07 and I can honestly say I have not experienced reflection moire effect at all. I saw the Q9 and C9 side by side and it was an easy decision for me. Very happy with my purchase even though I did pay $2900 inc ext warranty then.

Hi tvdave, Thanks for reply... Now I can be sure that reflection moire is not a major issue... I also saw Q9 and C9 side by side and Q9 looked better to me... Lets see how mine Q9 performs... I'm getting del on coming sat..

Whats setting did u used in run time and after?

I ran mine for the first 3 months on standard pic as opposed to dynamic and turned contrast down to 50. I use dynamic mode sometimes during the day sometimes but at night movie or standard depending on source.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the Q9 as much as me.

Edited by tvdave

So can I assume no one else has had the sound issue I mentioned earlier? The sound level on DTV is about 50% of the level when watching Foxtel or a DVD. Might have to ring Samsung and see if they can shed any light.

Hi Malts, on page 43 of this thread Grenjudas has posted same problem for his tv but i think thr is no reply to his post...

Lets see whether my Q9 also faces same issue... Just now my Q9 arrived and retravision guys put it out of box and OMG, screen was completely broken (cracks all over screen).. Now they have taken it back and bringing back another one.. I hope to get next one trouble free :)

I noticed there was not any sticker on left side of screen which i was on demo unit in there store.. Does ur unit have that big sticker on left?

I hope some other people here can answer ur question abt sound..

I'll give Samsung a call tomorrow about the sound.

Does anyone else notice that while watching AFL, that when the ball is in flight, it looks very blockish? Also noticed it appears very pixelated when the the camera is moved quickly to follow the players running back to the centre after kicking a goal.

I'll give Samsung a call tomorrow about the sound.

Does anyone else notice that while watching AFL, that when the ball is in flight, it looks very blockish? Also noticed it appears very pixelated when the the camera is moved quickly to follow the players running back to the centre after kicking a goal.

That's not your TV's fault. It's because there is insufficient bandwidth (bitrate) in the HD stream to handle that much motion at the resolution being used. Can only fixed by either better HD encoders at the TV station or more bandwidth, which would mean dropping some other sub-channels or decreasing their bandwidth. This is a bit like what Seven used to do, drop the HD channel during AFL so as to increase the bitrate on the SD channel to handle the high motion content a little better (notice I said a litttle).

Matt

Edited by mattis

Well got my new Pazzy Saturday.

The P50Q9FDX .

Looks wicked.

Yeah and the Footy looks crap because of the feed from Foxtel.

The commercials look great.

Oh and if anyone has any info for me being a new owner

please post here,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=65526

cheers.

Edited by Vidiotic

Got my 50" Q last week as an upgrade from a 42"d4sx. Hooked up to Pioneer DV400 and the picture is brilliant. Mind you it is only running through component at the moment as I need to be able to switch the feeds to the projector. Also have an LG HD PVR linked into the system so I can now record 2 programs and still watch a HD broadcast. I can see I will have to now also upgrade the projector in the near future to keep up !!!

Al

Im in need of some help I accidentally changed a few values in the white balance menu contained in the service menu of my Samsung Ps42Q91hdx TV and im wondering if any kind Samsung Ps42Q91hdx owner can post his default settings for that menu( IE untouched values)

Will be much appreciated thankyou!, The 50inch model will be the same so if anyone can post these settings it would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Finally my 50" Q9 arrived yesterday. Initially I had ordered it through retravision by paying $1850 (initially I had paid $1890 to them and afterwords got $40 back for price match). That set arrived last sat and screen was completely broken (cracks all over), so retravision guys took it back immediately (Yes, instead of delivery guy, 2 salesman from retravision came to deliver my TV and so they opened fox for me). As it was last unit in their store, I asked for full refund to avoid any further delays in del. Then I got 50" Q9 from Good Guys and bcoz of my retravision receipt of $1850 they beat this price and offered me this unit at $1830 :)

Yesterday I got my set and it is absolutely amazing, brilliant PQ. I've set constrast and brightness below 50 as per suggestions in this forum but picture looks little dark to me. Does it really matter if I increase contrast above 50 during first 200 hr runtime of this plasma or shud I keep it under 50 only during run? picture also looks little soft to me as I've set sharpness to 0

I'm new to this plasma world... I need some advise on blu ray player.. Currently I've attached my old cheap DVD player (brand - JMK) which is non-HDMI. Considering this TV is not full HD plasma, will there be any difference in PQ if use blu ray player? I'm sure thr will be but will it be drastic diff in PQ with blu ray player (or upscaling DVD player) than my current non-hdmi DVD player? I'll appreciate if someone can tell me code for this DVD player which I can set with my TV remote (JMK brand is not mentioned in the list of code for DVD)

Thanks,

cool_db

Edited by cool_db

Got a Q9 50 inch the other day, looks amazing. However my parents watch a lot of news on Chinese satellite channels which have the news bars, time display and big fat colourful logos and there is some image retention- just noticed it today. I've got pixel shift on and stuff, hopefully it's not permanent. What are everyone's thoughts? This would apply to gaming as well. I'd hate to worry about the TV every time it's used for what it's meant to be used for...

Got a Q9 50 inch the other day, looks amazing. However my parents watch a lot of news on Chinese satellite channels which have the news bars, time display and big fat colourful logos and there is some image retention- just noticed it today. I've got pixel shift on and stuff, hopefully it's not permanent. What are everyone's thoughts? This would apply to gaming as well. I'd hate to worry about the TV every time it's used for what it's meant to be used for...

Hey Cool_db,

Can you let us know which Good Guys store this was from? I would be keen to get a copy of your receipt if you have it handy by any chance...

Thats a great price!

Edited by b0lgs

Hey Cool_db,

Can you let us know which Good Guys store this was from? I would be keen to get a copy of your receipt if you have it handy by any chance...

Thats a great price!

Hi b0lgs, I bought my TV Good guys shop at Mount Gravatt, Brisbane... They offered my this TV at such low price only bcoz I had receipt from retravision for my prev Q9 purchanse with them... I don't have scanner at home, so I'll try in next week somewhere and send u receipt...

I think C and Q series plasma are both discontinued (or very soon it will be). In UK, its already discontinued (i think) and new 'A' series is coming up in plasma which has contrast ratio of 20000:1 and refresh rate of 100Hz, this looks better to me than Q series... Not sure when samsung is releasing this model in Aus but it will be good idea to wait for this one (may be costly initially)

Cheers,

Hi b0lgs, I bought my TV Good guys shop at Mount Gravatt, Brisbane... They offered my this TV at such low price only bcoz I had receipt from retravision for my prev Q9 purchanse with them... I don't have scanner at home, so I'll try in next week somewhere and send u receipt...

I think C and Q series plasma are both discontinued (or very soon it will be). In UK, its already discontinued (i think) and new 'A' series is coming up in plasma which has contrast ratio of 20000:1 and refresh rate of 100Hz, this looks better to me than Q series... Not sure when samsung is releasing this model in Aus but it will be good idea to wait for this one (may be costly initially)

Cheers,

If you could do that, it would be awesome, thanks mate.

I don't think I want to wait any longer, there are always newer and better models coming out....anyhow. Can't wait forever!

Hi Guys,

Great thread here. Really helped me when making my decision to purchase a PS50C91HD from Myer for $1595. It is scheduled to be delivered today, so am waiting eargerly by the phone so that I can race home and welcome it with open arms. Just a question if I may relating to the optical out on the TV. As I am going to connect the tv to my amp using the optical connection, does anyone know if the audio out via the optical operates for every input mode I select automatically, or is it limited to say only HDMI inputs connected or the built in tuner?

Cheers!

^_^

Hi Guys,

Great thread here. Really helped me when making my decision to purchase a PS50C91HD from Myer for $1595. It is scheduled to be delivered today, so am waiting eargerly by the phone so that I can race home and welcome it with open arms. Just a question if I may relating to the optical out on the TV. As I am going to connect the tv to my amp using the optical connection, does anyone know if the audio out via the optical operates for every input mode I select automatically, or is it limited to say only HDMI inputs connected or the built in tuner?

Cheers!

^_^

normally the optical out only passes Dolby sound from the inbuilt tv tuner. Any audio input from other sources will either not be sent over optical at all, or will be only 2 channel PCM

I have the P9 50 inch and I had it for about 3 weeks now, my parents also watch news on chiense satellite channel and what I do is I will lowered both contrast and brightness to less than 50% when they are viewing these programs and also have pxiel shift on. A lot of chinese satellite programs are in 4:3 aspect ratio and I am using an external scaler to zoom it to 16:9 aspect ratio and if you

don't have external scaler just use Just function to zoom 4:3 material to 16:9 AR, this will obviously make the people fat but you parents will get use to it after few hours of viewing. I would not worry too much about screen burn it is much less of an issue with today's plasma TV.

Hi Guys,

Cheers!

^_^

$1595?????Wow,is that the price these are going for now!! Not that long ago I paid $2400 which at the time was the cheapest around.I didn't think that they would get much cheaper than what I paid but boy, was I wrong! :(

I have the P9 50 inch and I had it for about 3 weeks now, my parents also watch news on chiense satellite channel and what I do is I will lowered both contrast and brightness to less than 50% when they are viewing these programs and also have pxiel shift on. A lot of chinese satellite programs are in 4:3 aspect ratio and I am using an external scaler to zoom it to 16:9 aspect ratio and if you

don't have external scaler just use Just function to zoom 4:3 material to 16:9 AR, this will obviously make the people fat but you parents will get use to it after few hours of viewing. I would not worry too much about screen burn it is much less of an issue with today's plasma TV.

Thanks man, I'm currently stretching the 4:3 satellite programs to 16:9, and have contrast and brightness below 50. Retention is not a serious problem- things usually go away after a while. However I can sort of see retained boundaries of news 'crawlers' from news channels my parents watch on a daily basis. Should I be worried about the news crawlers eventually causing burn-in? Especially since they watch these channels every day.

to those living in adelaide and has bought this TV very recently: what's the best price you've got? what shop/branch?

harris scarfe currently has this for $1800 + delivery. I'm just wondering if there is a better price.

thank you very much :)

ps. if you have a better price, maybe you can scan the receipt (omitting personal details) and send it jarthel @t gmail d0t c0m. thanks again :)

Edited by jarthel

Hi All,

Recently I bought Samsung 50" plasma Q9.. I was testing 'on-timer' functionality... This is what is happening - Lets say I'm watching any FTA HD channel, I go to Menu - Setup - Time - Timer 1, then I set some 'on-time', then when I try to set program no, TV gives me options only from 1-6, (manual says 1-99). These are 'analog' channel but not the 'digital channels'. i cannot set program no for digital channels, I tried with those 1-6 program option and it turned on TV for analog channel so it confirmed that those 1-6 are only analog... How can I set on-timer so that I can turn on any digital channel? Has anyone tried on-timer?

I also have one more question - 'Channel' menu option is 'grayed' so I cannot select it when I go to Menu whenever i'm watching any digital channel (I can go into D.Menu option though).. Why this option is not available?

Thanks,

Cool_db

Hi All,

Recently I bought Samsung 50" plasma Q9.. I was testing 'on-timer' functionality... This is what is happening - Lets say I'm watching any FTA HD channel, I go to Menu - Setup - Time - Timer 1, then I set some 'on-time', then when I try to set program no, TV gives me options only from 1-6, (manual says 1-99). These are 'analog' channel but not the 'digital channels'. i cannot set program no for digital channels, I tried with those 1-6 program option and it turned on TV for analog channel so it confirmed that those 1-6 are only analog... How can I set on-timer so that I can turn on any digital channel? Has anyone tried on-timer?

I also have one more question - 'Channel' menu option is 'grayed' so I cannot select it when I go to Menu whenever i'm watching any digital channel (I can go into D.Menu option though).. Why this option is not available?

Thanks,

Cool_db

Cool_db

As you know I have the same panel and I just checked the program numbers in the timer menu. I have access to 10 channels not 6. I have not set a timer yet to see which tuner it is using. I would have assumed if it is on the digital tuner it would turn on to the digital channels however i may need to check that out.

By the way, how did you go with picture settings. Have you found better settings now that the panel has been run in.

Al.

Edited by snowboy