Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

i am going to go to the store tomorrow and play a dvd on their samsung , if i see the problem on theres i will tell them i dont want another samsung and get a panasonic

My son has just purchased to samsung ps50q91hd. Seems ok except for the channel search. Seems to only get the basic 2, 7, 9, 10 28 etc. None of the other HD channels appear. Looks like an analogue tuner. Are we doing something wrong? Is this really a HD tuner built in? Is there a switch or setting we are missing :wacko:

Where are you located?

if you are not in an area where digital is being transmitted you will not get any HD channels.

My son has just purchased to samsung ps50q91hd. Seems ok except for the channel search. Seems to only get the basic 2, 7, 9, 10 28 etc. None of the other HD channels appear. Looks like an analogue tuner. Are we doing something wrong? Is this really a HD tuner built in? Is there a switch or setting we are missing :wacko:

I'm in Melbourne - I get all the digital channels on my set top box. Has this Samsung really got HD tuner built in? Very strange that the default auto scan only finds to 6 normal channels (including sbs 28 and community channel 31). This looks like analogue to me. Has anyone with the PS50Q91HD managed to get the full set of HD channels?

I'm in Melbourne - I get all the digital channels on my set top box. Has this Samsung really got HD tuner built in? Very strange that the default auto scan only finds to 6 normal channels (including sbs 28 and community channel 31). This looks like analogue to me. Has anyone with the PS50Q91HD managed to get the full set of HD channels?

Hi - I don't have one but it definitely has a HD tuner - I've played with it at Retravision! From what I recall 7 HD was channel 70 (but still looked crap...) and 10HD was channel 12.

Maybe try that?

N

I finally discovered what happened. It seems there are in fact two modes of operation, TV and Digital TV. When you switch to DTV mode you can tune the digital stations. IT's not clear in my opinion, took some careful reading of the manual - always a last resort. Anyway, it's fixed now - many thanks.

I finally discovered what happened. It seems there are in fact two modes of operation, TV and Digital TV. When you switch to DTV mode you can tune the digital stations. IT's not clear in my opinion, took some careful reading of the manual - always a last resort. Anyway, it's fixed now - many thanks.

The fact you could pick up CH31 is the giveaway. That channel is only available on Analogue, not DVB.

You're not the first nor likely the last to post on this issue. I have seen it posted on many threads before. Just good that you got it sorted out in the end.

Hey guys, long time no post!

I let the smoke out of my Samsung PS42S5H a month ago (2.5 years old), and paid Domayne $600 to upgrade under warranty to the PS50C91HDX.

But I have a problem:

I have reprogrammed my Logitech Harmony 880 for the new TV, but no matter which model I choose (my exact one or the "international" version, HPT5054), I can't get the remote to directly select the Component 2 input. On my old Sammy, this worked fine, but I can't get it to work on this one. I can directly select all the other inputs except Component 2. It is driving me batty. My DVD/Surround system is on that input, and to make it work, I have had to program "InputNext" on the screen so I can switch the TV to Component 2 after I start the activity.

Anyone else had this issue/solved it? :wacko:

W.

Hey guys, long time no post!

I let the smoke out of my Samsung PS42S5H a month ago (2.5 years old), and paid Domayne $600 to upgrade under warranty to the PS50C91HDX.

But I have a problem:

I have reprogrammed my Logitech Harmony 880 for the new TV, but no matter which model I choose (my exact one or the "international" version, HPT5054), I can't get the remote to directly select the Component 2 input. On my old Sammy, this worked fine, but I can't get it to work on this one. I can directly select all the other inputs except Component 2. It is driving me batty. My DVD/Surround system is on that input, and to make it work, I have had to program "InputNext" on the screen so I can switch the TV to Component 2 after I start the activity.

Anyone else had this issue/solved it? :wacko:

W.

have you tried all of the commands under the TV's device mode? Sometimes there are multiple input commands if you can find a code that sets the tv to component 2, you then adjust the device's input settings tell it which inputs it has and what the discrete code for each is

have you tried all of the commands under the TV's device mode? Sometimes there are multiple input commands if you can find a code that sets the tv to component 2, you then adjust the device's input settings tell it which inputs it has and what the discrete code for each is

I programmed ALL the available input options for the TV type to custom keys, and NONE of them would let me select Component 2!

I'm thinking that there is another model type I can use (likely for the American equivalent panel), but I can't figure out which one...

W

Just picked up one of these in Adelaide for $2100, Truscotts at Parafield Airport

Still in the box in the loungeroom. I might have a busy weekend ;)

dang thats a good price mate well done! I bought mine back in oct 07 for $2900!! Did you get the extended warranty for that price?

Piss easy to set this baby up. Take sides off the box, lift on to stand, plug power in and hit plug and play function then let the DTV/TV search for FTA channels. Sit back and watch the Footy, Soccer and movies in beautiful 50" style!!

Just got the Samsung ps50c91 last week for $1895 at Harvey Norman, what a great unit, although it was tricky working out why it was turning itself on/off by itself when in standby, turns out it was the Standby Mode Upgrade being set to ON.. Would never haved worked that out withouut this forum.... Thanks!!

I programmed ALL the available input options for the TV type to custom keys, and NONE of them would let me select Component 2!

I'm thinking that there is another model type I can use (likely for the American equivalent panel), but I can't figure out which one...

W

try adding other TV devices for different models to your harmony software (eg 42" P91, or any of the Q91 and C91 plasmas, or even a Samsung LCD M81/F81). Dont set them up to be in any activities, but just use them in device mode (which puts all of their commands on the remote LCD soft buttons anyway) and see if any of those other tv's have a IR command that will set your tv to Component 2. If you do find one, you could either use that instead, or if it is missing other ones that your proper model does have, you could ring up Logitech Harmony support and tell them the component 2 command doesnt work, but you have found a working command on another model, and get them to copy that command over to the 50" P91 in the database. Support are apparently pretty good. You could even just try ringing them up without finding the working code yourself, they may be able to find it for you! I find it hard to believe no-one else has already come cross this issue - you cant be the only one wit hthat tv trying to use a harmony remote!

try adding other TV devices for different models to your harmony software (eg 42" P91, or any of the Q91 and C91 plasmas, or even a Samsung LCD M81/F81). Dont set them up to be in any activities, but just use them in device mode (which puts all of their commands on the remote LCD soft buttons anyway) and see if any of those other tv's have a IR command that will set your tv to Component 2. If you do find one, you could either use that instead, or if it is missing other ones that your proper model does have, you could ring up Logitech Harmony support and tell them the component 2 command doesnt work, but you have found a working command on another model, and get them to copy that command over to the 50" P91 in the database. Support are apparently pretty good. You could even just try ringing them up without finding the working code yourself, they may be able to find it for you! I find it hard to believe no-one else has already come cross this issue - you cant be the only one wit hthat tv trying to use a harmony remote!

I KNOW!! How weird is it that no one has hit this before? I have juggled my ports around so I'm not using it at the moment, but I can see it coming back to haunt me. If I can't find a device that works, I may give Samsung a ring and try that.

I KNOW!! How weird is it that no one has hit this before? I have juggled my ports around so I'm not using it at the moment, but I can see it coming back to haunt me. If I can't find a device that works, I may give Samsung a ring and try that.

i meant you should ring logitech harmony support (not samsung). Harmony supoprt are meant to be very helpful

Hi.. Today we bought 50" Q9 for $1890 in Brisbane :) I guess i got very good deal. Recently there is major price down for 50" Q9. Delivery will be in next week, hard 2 wait :( (extra $40 for del)

This forum seems to be very informative...

Cheers,

Cool_db

Hi All, Can you guys tell me how much is it necessary to get extended warranty for my 50" Q9? I haven't received my set yet (del on next sat), so i think i can still get extra warranty if decided. I know its always advisable and we never know what can happen after its 2 yrs original warranty. But just wanted 2 know how good are samsung plasmas after 2 yrs?

Also can someone plz tell me what settings i should use initially in its first 200hr run? And after that period?

Cheers,

Cool_db

Hi All, Can you guys tell me how much is it necessary to get extended warranty for my 50" Q9?

Also can someone plz tell me what settings i should use initially in its first 200hr run? And after that period?

Cool_db, extended warranty is an insurance product so depending on your risk profile, if you feel you need it then grab it. But some food for thought is;

All brands have some lemons from time to time

The Sammy has 2 years warranty so that's a long period for anything to go wrong

In two years time, who knows how cheap the prices will be. You could save the warranty price, and put it towards a new TV in two years time if it did go kaput!

As for run in settings, general advice around these parts is to turn off "Dynamic" mode to normal/auto mode and reduce levels to around 50%.

Hi All, My 50" Q9 is yet to be arrived. But I'm getting very worried abt the side effect (reflection moire) of ultrabright feature of Q9. From what I read from different forums is Q9 is suffering from this reflection moire. Is Q9 really worth? How bad is this reflection moire and does it grow over the time? Is it really annoying to see the set when its turned off? Does it affect PQ when u r watching programs/movies?

I went for Q9 bcoz i got good deal ($1890)and C9 was costly than Q9 (as it was not on special like Q9). Do u guys recommend me to go for C9 instead? As my set is yet to be arrived I might be able to change my order (I still have 2-3 days). In that case, I might have to pay extra for C9 :(

Those who have Q9 set, please guide me.. Waiting for replies

Cheers,

Cool_db

I went for Q9 bcoz i got good deal ($1890)and C9 was costly than Q9 (as it was not on special like Q9).

Hi mate,

The C9 is CHEAPER than the Q9 by at least $200. $1890 isn't a "special" price for the Q9. If anything, it's costlier than some others have reported for it. If you want to downgrade to a C9, your retailer owes you $200 and not the other way round.

Did you buy from Bing Lee, by any chance ? This "special" talk and "Q9 going cheaper" sounds like him.

Hi Kulfi, Thanks for ur reply... I know what u saying... Last month price of Q9 was $2500 in most of the stores and price of C9 was $2000 - 2100... Since last week retravision (and also good guys) has reduced price of Q9 to $1999. In retravision I bargained Q9 to $1890, but he cud not give any discount to me for C9 so it remained at $2100. Thats why I went for Q9 ... Now if I change my order and go for C9, I'll have to pay difference ie $200.. By the way, I haven't heard Q9 cheaper than $1890, u might be right but what is the lowest price u heard for Q9?

I've just picked up a PS50C91HD and am very happy with it, however I have noticed that when watching DTV from the build in Tuner, the volume is significantly lower that that of the component inputs. I have a DVD player and Foxtel connected via component and if I'm watching either of them at a normal, comfortable volume and then switch to DTV, the volume difference is such that it is unable to be heard without increasing the volume markedly.

Is there some kind of sound setting I may have adjusted which is only affecting DTV as opposed to the other sources that I may be overlooking?

Thanks!!

Hi Malts, can I ask u how much u paid for ur 50" C9?

Yep - Got the 50" C9 and 5 year Warranty for around $2200 (can't find the receipt at the moment so not sure of exact price). Got it from Good Guys Carseldine, who now tell me they have 19 on back order!!