Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Your best bet is to purchase a second computer in a mini-factor case and build yourself a HTPC.

The problem with HDMI is your TV is essentially forcing output settings on your PC instead of the other way around. If you use a VGA input from your PC you have a much wider range of options and with the later Nvidia control panel or by using powerstrip etc you can create the exact format you want.

The built in HD modes in XP/Vista don't display properly through HDMI. Even if you set the mode to 720p the samsung forces it from 1280x720 to 1366x768 or whatever the default resolution is (I forget). I haven't been able to figure out why - the TV accepts 720p or 1080i fine from my dvd player and ps3, but it overrides the signal format from my PC.

With the dualview/clone issue - you will want to go dualview. You can set your lcd as the primary screen at it's natural res and run a completely different res and refresh on your tv. Yes, you will have to drag media player onto the second screen and maximise it in order to view, but you can get around this by using a different media player for each screen in order to preview on your PC.

I haven't followed all this on the net since I bought the TV about a year ago though ... so others may have had more success in these areas.

Your best bet is to purchase a second computer in a mini-factor case and build yourself a HTPC.

The problem with HDMI is your TV is essentially forcing output settings on your PC instead of the other way around. If you use a VGA input from your PC you have a much wider range of options and with the later Nvidia control panel or by using powerstrip etc you can create the exact format you want.

The built in HD modes in XP/Vista don't display properly through HDMI. Even if you set the mode to 720p the samsung forces it from 1280x720 to 1366x768 or whatever the default resolution is (I forget). I haven't been able to figure out why - the TV accepts 720p or 1080i fine from my dvd player and ps3, but it overrides the signal format from my PC.

With the dualview/clone issue - you will want to go dualview. You can set your lcd as the primary screen at it's natural res and run a completely different res and refresh on your tv. Yes, you will have to drag media player onto the second screen and maximise it in order to view, but you can get around this by using a different media player for each screen in order to preview on your PC.

I haven't followed all this on the net since I bought the TV about a year ago though ... so others may have had more success in these areas.

yeah setting up a network, with a dedicated HTPC in the loungeroom to watch content on, or using an xbox with XBMC, or an xbox360 or PS3 with tversity running on your desktop, are much more user friendly ways of watching divx etc on your tv, rather than trying to use 10 meter cable runs and running between rooms etc.

And the amount you prob paid for 10m HDMI cables etc would go a long way towards buying a refub original xbox (say $79) putting a modchip in it, and then running XBMC :)

Edited by scarecrow420

Thanks nix & scarecrow for your advice. I'm going to return the cable & adaptor tommorrow and try tversity with my xbox360.

I didn't realise there were such limitations with connecting my TV to the PC. I was expecting to be able to have independent desktops on each display similar to running multiple virtual desktops.

Even if I did use VGA instead of HDMI, the dualview functionality wouldn't be ideal - I don't want to start media player at the PC and then have to drag it to the TV display.

A HTPC would be nice, but as I said, all I want to do is watch divx and DVD's, so I think tversity will be sufficient and cheaper.

I am completely unfamiliar with tversity so I will check their web site to find out more. Is it simply a matter a networking the 360 with the PC and installing the tversity software? I currently have a single port ADSL modem, so if I get a multi port modem can I network them via that? Finally when accessing content do you use the 360 remote to navigate files etc?

Thanks to you both for your help on this.

you can network them in any normal way... yes a switch or router would work, or to save running wires out to the lounge room, why not run a wireless network? You can get a wireless adapter for the xbox360 and then you just need to either have a wireless base station (perhaps upgrade your ADSL model to an ADSL router with wireless) or you could even just get a wireless card or USB solution for your PC, and link them together that way.

I dont have a PS3 or x360, but from what i understand you run the tversity media server on the PC and the PS3/x360 can access this via UPnP over the network, I think it even converts files on the fly to a fomat that the console can play. Certainly worth a try anyways ;) And yes, you use the x360 remote to browse and playback the content etc... the PC is just the server where the files live and are streamed from. Im sure if you want to give it a go, a google will find you info on how to set it up and how it works

Thanks scarecrow,

I've been doing much reading about tversity since your earlier post and yes the purpose is to convert divx to wmv so the x360 can play it. But apparently the latest xbox live update has enabled divx format so that media player 11 can play it straight to the x360.

I was looking at replacing my adsl2 modem/router with a 4 port model - but your suggestion about wireless is a good point. I've spent a few minutes on google checking out that option - the xbox wireless adapter is pricey at $169 but apparently there are cheaper adapters that will work. I might chat to dick smith staff about wireless when I take the cable back and see what they suggest.

Thanks very much

Thanks scarecrow,

I've been doing much reading about tversity since your earlier post and yes the purpose is to convert divx to wmv so the x360 can play it. But apparently the latest xbox live update has enabled divx format so that media player 11 can play it straight to the x360.

I was looking at replacing my adsl2 modem/router with a 4 port model - but your suggestion about wireless is a good point. I've spent a few minutes on google checking out that option - the xbox wireless adapter is pricey at $169 but apparently there are cheaper adapters that will work. I might chat to dick smith staff about wireless when I take the cable back and see what they suggest.

Thanks very much

no worries. another option for wireless (this is what i use) is i have my wireless 4 port ADSL router in the studfy (this is a Billion 7404VGPM - kinda pricey but you can get cheaper ones without VOIP and so on), and in the lounge i have a Linksys WRT54G which is a 4 port router with Wireless. This linksys can be flashed with an open source firmware called DD-wrt which allows it to be set up as a wireless bridge and extender. What this means is i can plug in 4 things in my entertainment unit with normal LAN cable (xbox, HD-DVD etc) and the linksys is wirelessly connected to the router in the study. So the loungeroom devices can see the PC for networked movie/music, plus have internet access for online updates or potentially xbox live and anything else. The linksys router is only lie $70, but obviously you need a wireless capable ADSL modem/router for the study too

But considering the x360 wireless adapter is so expensive, its more cost effective to get this linksys and that means you can plug in other devices that dont have wireless capability :)

I went down another path ... I bought a pioneer upscaling dvd player that has usb input on it. Regular 350mb divx rips looks freaking nuts on it at 720p - much better than on my PC.

Thanks scarecrow - that's a great idea putting a wireless router with the lounge gear.

Nix, I have thought of getting an upscaling dvd player. Do you plug a portable HDD into the USB for playing content?

Thanks for all the info - I have a lot to read up on, before deciding what to do. Your ideas have provided a lot of options!

Cheers.

Are you running Media Center? If not, would you consider doing so? You simply use your 360 as an extender. Although it doesn't have native support for Divx/Xvid and ripped DVD stored on your hard drive, you can just use Transcode 360. The picture from a 360 on a plasma (even SD) looks great. An upgrade to the OS may be cost effective (but from what you said, you still may need a switch). Just another option.

Also, regarding clone/dual view, I use clone mode. I have found with MC2005 & VistaMC as long as both monitors/TVs have the same aspect ratio, MC takes care of the scaling when watching TV/Movies. I set the resolution at the native of the main monitor. If you aren't really doing much surfing etc on via the TV, I found that the picture itself (when watching Media Center) looks the same regardless of what res I have the TV set at. I am not very technical so I don't know the reason for it - but for me it works.

Just my opinion with my setup.

After the update your xbox 360 will play 99% of the stuff you chuck at it if it :) (no subtitle support though)

The wireless adaptor can be had new on ebay for $90 bucks, But IMO you are much better of just running a Ethernet cable as I found the wireless to be a bit flaky, dropping out when half way through a movie sucks also the wireless adaptor is barely efficient when running HD content.

All in all though I find the xbox 360 awesome for watching stuff from my PC even photos and music are fine,

no more transferring files or burning disks is great.

ps If after the update it tells you unsupported format just try again and it will play after a few goes.

Nix, I have thought of getting an upscaling dvd player. Do you plug a portable HDD into the USB for playing content?

Cheers.

Yes most of the usb inputs on all these players will accept any FAT32 storage media - so external hdds, usb sticks etc. all work fine.

Are you running Media Center? If not, would you consider doing so? You simply use your 360 as an extender. Although it doesn't have native support for Divx/Xvid and ripped DVD stored on your hard drive, you can just use Transcode 360. The picture from a 360 on a plasma (even SD) looks great. An upgrade to the OS may be cost effective (but from what you said, you still may need a switch). Just another option.

Also, regarding clone/dual view, I use clone mode. I have found with MC2005 & VistaMC as long as both monitors/TVs have the same aspect ratio, MC takes care of the scaling when watching TV/Movies. I set the resolution at the native of the main monitor. If you aren't really doing much surfing etc on via the TV, I found that the picture itself (when watching Media Center) looks the same regardless of what res I have the TV set at. I am not very technical so I don't know the reason for it - but for me it works.

Just my opinion with my setup.

I am running XP SP2 home edition. I don't really want to buy windows again for this PC. If I was going to put together a HTPC then I would most definitely go for 64 bit vista home premium edition with media centre.

So far I have read that TVersity will transcode media to the x360 with my current OS. I have also read that the latest updates on the x360 enable divx/xvid play back. Does Transcode 360 do something that TVersity doesn't?

Yeh, I agree, clone mode would of been good, but my TV and PC monitor are at different ratios :( The other problem I had with clone mode is that videos would not play on both screens. It would play on the primary screen (PC) and the TV would show the media player application but with no video running in it. Perhaps this is not a problem when running a media centre OS? I then tried dualview and was able to play video on the TV but I had to start it from the PC and then drag it to the TV desktop - which was not the functionality I was looking for.

Thanks for your input, I will do some reading on transcode 360 to see if it is a better option to TVersity.

Cheers.

Edited by CrazyEyes

After the update your xbox 360 will play 99% of the stuff you chuck at it if it :) (no subtitle support though)

The wireless adaptor can be had new on ebay for $90 bucks, But IMO you are much better of just running a Ethernet cable as I found the wireless to be a bit flaky, dropping out when half way through a movie sucks also the wireless adaptor is barely efficient when running HD content.

All in all though I find the xbox 360 awesome for watching stuff from my PC even photos and music are fine,

no more transferring files or burning disks is great.

ps If after the update it tells you unsupported format just try again and it will play after a few goes.

Hi there,

Yeh, I have read from many sources that wired is more consistent (and better for HD) than wireless.

I have connected the x360 to the internet to acquire the latest updates from xbox live - but when I try to play a divx file (from a burned dvd in the x360 dvd drive) it says:

Can't play this content because it may not be supported..................

I have tried it several times - so I wonder if I have got all of the updates correctly. I can't see a way to check the status of the updates on my x360. I am considering downloading some divx content (known to work) just as a sample to test whether I have the latest updates. And therefore, to confirm that the problem is with the files I am trying to play from the x360 dvd drive.

I am just trying things from the x360 dvd drive at this stage before I decide on how to connect the PC to the x360. Does playing content from the x360 dvd drive cause these "unsupported" problems as opposed to streaming directly from PC to x360 over a network?

Cheers.

Edited by CrazyEyes

Yes most of the usb inputs on all these players will accept any FAT32 storage media - so external hdds, usb sticks etc. all work fine.

Wow, dvd players have improved a lot since I last bought one (many years ago). I thought I was an up-to-date fella up until now :unsure: .

All of this new information is making me feel very old, as though I should of known about all of this stuff.

With regards to upscaling - I read that the connection has to be HDMI or VGA for upscaling to occur from the x360 - is this right?

PS: Sorry, I just remembered you were actually talking about a pioneer dvd player - but does the same question apply i.e. it has to be a HDMI or VGA connection for upscaling to occur?

Cheers

Edited by CrazyEyes

hey mate have you tried this way

Go to the Media blade, videos, click your X button (change video source) and point to your disc. Should work.

Also try using a usb flash drive to store & watch avi movies.

I normally stream stuff as I am so over burning disks

ps you might have that one percent <_< (normally only stuff that was encoded years ago)

I am running XP SP2 home edition. I don't really want to buy windows again for this PC. If I was going to put together a HTPC then I would most definitely go for 64 bit vista home premium edition with media centre.

So far I have read that TVersity will transcode media to the x360 with my current OS. I have also read that the latest updates on the x360 enable divx/xvid play back. Does Transcode 360 do something that TVersity doesn't?

Yeh, I agree, clone mode would of been good, but my TV and PC monitor are at different ratios :( The other problem I had with clone mode is that videos would not play on both screens. It would play on the primary screen (PC) and the TV would show the media player application but with no video running in it. Perhaps this is not a problem when running a media centre OS? I then tried dualview and was able to play video on the TV but I had to start it from the PC and then drag it to the TV desktop - which was not the functionality I was looking for.

Thanks for your input, I will do some reading on transcode 360 to see if it is a better option to TVersity.

Cheers.

Sorry, I haven't actually seen TVersity so I don't know the differences between it and Transcode360. You are right, the latest 360 updates did enable divx/xvid playback, but it is only through the console interface and not the media center interface. Transcode allows you to watch these files through the MC interface.

Clone mode not displaying properly is a strange one. No suggestions here as to why it is not performing properly. I have only ever tried it under media center and it has worked???

Good luck with it.

Greg

Thanks greg, I'm going to give it a shot using WMP11 library from XP.

Yeh maybe the problem with clone mode is because I have XP.

Hello All,

I got myself the PS50C91HDX nearly two months ago. Very happy with it. Appreciate all the advice on this site.

I have one question however. I watch a fair bit of football (soccer) on Fox and notice that quite a bit that when a long hard ball is hit, the ball looks a little fuzzy, kind of like a meteor. I know that they are striking it hard, but not that hard. :rolleyes:

Anyway, is this a quality of transmission thing related to Fox or is it a weakness of my TV. Do Q series, Panasonic and Pioneer owners see the same thing?

Cheers

It's a known quirk of the panel. I've gotten used to it.

Thanks for that. Didn't hear about this before. Does the PS50Q91HDX suffer from this as well, ie, its a Samsung only thing???

Hi,

I just wanted to write back to advise the outcome of my attempt to stream media from my PC to my 50" C91.

I ended up getting a new modem router (netgear DG834G) with a 4 port switch so that I could connect my PC and x360 through it via ethernet cable. I then tried to share the media on my PC with the x360 using the media sharing service provided with windows media player 11. This option kinda worked but the media sharing service is unstable and the x360 would unexpectedly lose access to the shared media files - even though it could still see my PC on the network.

I then tried using the TVersity media server and it works perfectly! I wasn't keen on TVersity at first because I thought it had to transcode everything that it sent to the x360, but I was incorrect. TVersity only transcodes the media that the x360 doesn't support natively, and since the x360 now supports divx, TVersity sends it straight through the network to the xbox. What surprised me more though is that TVersity can also transcode & stream music from my iTunes library and it can also transcode & stream video clips that I have made with my digital camera - windows media player 11 couldn't do this.

Anyway, I'm a very happy chappy. Thanks to everyone that responded with such helpful comments - and sorry that I diverted the topic of this thread somewhat. If there's anyone trying to do the same as me who needs help, let me know and I will be happy to pass on what I learned. After my initial query here, I spent a lot of time on http://whirlpool.net.au/ sorting out what router I should get and then I had to visit http://www.xbox-scene.com/ to try and resolve the issues I was having with windows media player 11.

Thanks goodness there are forums like this where we can go to for advice - thanks again everyone!

Hi Guys,

Just wondering people with this plasma from Samsung, do you guys use 1080i or 720P to view HD-DVD, Blu Ray? Which res looks better on this panel? It's not a 1080P panel :( I have the 42" version of this screen.

My understanding is that it depends on what you are watching. If it is slow moving or still pictures then 1080i is supposedly better, but for fast moving action films use 720p. The reasoning is that 1080i may have some image tearing on fast motion due to the interlacing.

I'm no expert (I can't really tell the difference between the quality of 1080i and 720p) but the guy in this youtube clip http://tinyurl.com/yq93bl tries to explain it (I can't vouch for his expertise though :) ).

If I were you I would just try them both and see what you like the best. When I first got my 50C91 I spent a lot of time looking for the best settings and I found quite a few different settings on the avsforum, but to me they all looked terrible LOL. After wasting a lot of time searching for some good settings - I just ended up adjusting the settings to what I thought looked the best. Apparently some of the settings on that forum were calibrated in - but to me they looked terrible, and I tried to use them for a while thinking I'll get used to this professionally dialed PQ, but I didn't. Bottom line is you should set it up to what you enjoy the most - I've got mine set to 720p, but I think you should decide based on what you think looks good.

Thanks Crazyeyes :)

Yeah i also tried the settings posted on the forum but i didn't fancy it....

I tried watching Bourne Ultimatum yesterday in 1080i on my HD DVD player and i also tried 720P but i can't tell the difference!!!