Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Have finally got around to hooking up an optical cable from the Sammy (PS42Q91HD) to my Denon AVR optical input, and I'm only getting Dolby Surround (analog) and not Dolby Digital for DTV. Made sure the HD channel is transmitting DD. Very disappointing. Has anyone else managed to get Digital sound from the Sammy?

Hey all,

Just got my new 50 inch Q9 samsung panel yesterday. Cost me 2500 from retravision O connor (perth). Looking to set it up very soon. Just wondering how long you are supposed to run them in for. And why it is necassary? Couldnt find anything in the manual?

Have finally got around to hooking up an optical cable from the Sammy (PS42Q91HD) to my Denon AVR optical input, and I'm only getting Dolby Surround (analog) and not Dolby Digital for DTV. Made sure the HD channel is transmitting DD. Very disappointing. Has anyone else managed to get Digital sound from the Sammy?

When you say "Dolby Surround", I guess you mean Dolby-2.0 (2 channnels), rather than 5.1 ?

Unfortunately, not many shows or movies are broadcast in full 5.1 (as they should be).

Edited by Haggis2

Three quick questions for all you Sammy 1080p plasma owners (Feel free to answer any one or all)...

1. How deep are the blacks with the lights turned out at night?

2. The glass seems to show pretty sharp reflections when there's a lot of ambient light. How've you found it?

3. Anyone had any burn-in or image-retention?

4. How have you faired connecting a PC?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Haggis2

Three quick questions for all you Sammy 1080p plasma owners (Feel free to answer any one or all)... I have 50"Q9

1. How deep are the blacks with the lights turned out at night? How long is a piece of string? to me they are very deep blacks night or day.

2. The glass seems to show pretty sharp reflections when there's a lot of ambient light. How've you found it? No problems with ambient light reflect for me.

3. Anyone had any burn-in or image-retention? No burn-in issues for me.

4. How have you faired connecting a PC? Have run my HP entertainment book lap top via hdmi 3 and work very good no issues to date.

Thanks in advance...

answers above cheers Dave

Edited by tvdave

Hey all,

Just got my new 50 inch Q9 samsung panel yesterday. Cost me 2500 from retravision O connor (perth). Looking to set it up very soon. Just wondering how long you are supposed to run them in for. And why it is necassary? Couldnt find anything in the manual?

damn Utey that is very cheap, bought mine from GG Osborne Park for $2900 in early Nov. Did you get ext warranty on it. Your thoughts and set up would be appreciated. I absolutely love mine.

cheers Dave

Does anyone know if there are any specific settings on the Q91 42 inch when connecting a HTPC via HDMI?

I am deciding which 50" Samsung model to focus on, the C or the Q.

The C is the cheaper of the two and seems almost identical. The main differences appear to be an extra HDMI (which I dont think I will need), a different anti reflective filter (is this worth it, does it make a difference? I have read mixed reports here, this might be handy) and an extra movie mode (probably wont be used). Supposedly picture quality is the same. I am guessing that occasional gaming and connecting up a PC would be the same as well.

Is it worth the difference in price or should I stick with the cheaper option?

How does Foxtel look on these panels? As good as the Panasonic 70A?

I currently have Foxtel going thru my DVD HDD in order to tape programs. I would like to do the same with the new panel but this may not be ideal for viewing Foxtel???

Do these TVs have a audio/visual output that I can connect to my DVD HDD in order to tape FTA HD programs? Is this possible?

Thanks

I am deciding which 50" Samsung model to focus on, the C or the Q.

The C is the cheaper of the two and seems almost identical. The main differences appear to be an extra HDMI (which I dont think I will need), a different anti reflective filter (is this worth it, does it make a difference? I have read mixed reports here, this might be handy) and an extra movie mode (probably wont be used). Supposedly picture quality is the same. I am guessing that occasional gaming and connecting up a PC would be the same as well.

Is it worth the difference in price or should I stick with the cheaper option?

How does Foxtel look on these panels? As good as the Panasonic 70A?

I currently have Foxtel going thru my DVD HDD in order to tape programs. I would like to do the same with the new panel but this may not be ideal for viewing Foxtel???

Do these TVs have a audio/visual output that I can connect to my DVD HDD in order to tape FTA HD programs? Is this possible?

Thanks

I have the 50" Q9 and paid $2900 at GG in Perth. I compared the two side by side and the Q is def alot better imo. Foxtel signal is crap no matter what you run it thru. 3 x HDMI connections for Q versus 2 x HDMI for C and yes of course you can tape FTA with your DVD HDD via TV.

No they don't have video output (only audio) I think you will find. So you cannot use its tuner to record digital channels.

No they don't have video output (only audio) I think you will find. So you cannot use its tuner to record digital channels.

I'm looking at getting a 50" TV and this one seems to fit the bill. I would love some clarification on a few issues though.

1. My setup currently includes (for 81cm LCD) Upscaling DVD player (via HDMI), Xbox 360 (component) and SD PVR (component). I sit 3-3.5 metres away currently, but how will this look on the much bigger 50" plasma? Does it handle SD stuff well?

2. I know this has been done to death, but what provides better PQ between the C9 and the Q9. I know the main difference is the HDMI inputs and the Ultra filterbright, but as far as PQ goes, which model wins out? Is it worth spending the extra $300 or so for the Q9 (given that i'm not too worried about the extra HDMI)? What's the difference between filterbright and ultra filterbright? I have no idea what each does.

Cheers!

IMHO:-

Yes it should look great.

The Samsung does a good job on SD stuff, Panasonic is a touch better at it.

The Samsung C9 is quite reflective if I had a lot of windows/lights I would go the Q9 or the Panasonic PX70.

IMHO:-

Yes it should look great.

The Samsung does a good job on SD stuff, Panasonic is a touch better at it.

The Samsung C9 is quite reflective if I had a lot of windows/lights I would go the Q9 or the Panasonic PX70.

Thanks. I notice you mention about the reflectiveness of the Q9 being better than the C9. This is due to the filterbright difference? I have heard a couple of reports about the Q9 displaying lines but not sure how common this is or whether or not it is very bad.

Have many people with the Q9 had problems with this?

I notice you mention about the reflectiveness of the Q9 being better than the C9. This is due to the filterbright difference?

I would say so.

Three quick questions for all you Sammy 1080p plasma owners (Feel free to answer any one or all)...

1. How deep are the blacks with the lights turned out at night?

2. The glass seems to show pretty sharp reflections when there's a lot of ambient light. How've you found it?

3. Anyone had any burn-in or image-retention?

4. How have you faired connecting a PC?

Thanks in advance...

1. Very - this was one of the reasons that I went for it :-) The contrast ratio makes the blacks amazing and the surrounding colors extremely crisp.

2. Yeah, there is a bit of reflection from the panel. I've closed the binds to watch the TV to get the best advantage. My lounge room lights don't seem to affect it all - just the reflection of the sunlight.

3. Not at all! There's is burn-in/image-retention protection on this panel. I have it turned on so that the pixels are shifted 3 spots every 1 minute. You won't notice the shift at all when it does it - even if you concentrate on it :-) It's got a whole host of other protections as well such as a blank white screen which is supposed to remove any image retention if it does occur.

4. Haven't tried the PC yet - but the PS3 looks looks awesome over HDMI. Note: with any means of output from a PC, you can't choose a resolution between 1280 and 1920. So make sure your graphics card supports 1920 to get the best results :-)

Edited by antler

Thanks. I notice you mention about the reflectiveness of the Q9 being better than the C9. This is due to the filterbright difference? I have heard a couple of reports about the Q9 displaying lines but not sure how common this is or whether or not it is very bad.

Have many people with the Q9 had problems with this?

I have owned the 50" Q9 for two months now and have not had any issues or concerns with it full stop. I looked at both of them side by side before selecting the Q9 over the C9.

I have owned the 50" Q9 for two months now and have not had any issues or concerns with it full stop. I looked at both of them side by side before selecting the Q9 over the C9.

I haven't been able to find the Q9 and the C9 in the same store to compare them. What are the differences in PQ when they're side by side?

How do you find glare with the Q9?

I don't find any problems with glare on the q9.. I don't actually mind the shiney look as it looks nicer once it's turned off in the room. I have a window shining from the back of the room directly onto the TV, and I would not say that reflectiveness is excessive, as the picture is quite bright. Good to watch the cricket :) But obviously this is a personal taste thing.

I use mine through a HTPC and picture quality is very good.. I do find the normal desktop is a little "soft" and maybe a little dim (maybe because I spend most of my day in front of an LCD monitor), however I do not spend hours using it for desktop use. During movies and video content, the quality is excellent. I will say I'm only using VGA at this point (not DVI to HDMI) which is probably not optimal.

Edited by predator666

I haven't been able to find the Q9 and the C9 in the same store to compare them. What are the differences in PQ when they're side by side?

How do you find glare with the Q9?

I compared the 40" Q9 and C9 at GG in Perth (Osborne Park) and diff was blacks were much better and picture a bit sharper I thought. Glare is no problem at all for me with Q9 and I have it in a room with two large floor to ceiling windows in close proximity. Even with vertical blinds drawn some daytime light comes thru but has no neg effects on picture imo.

I just purchased one of these about 2 weeks ago. I have come across a dead pixel (black). Please advise if anyone else has had problems with this model? Should i call Samsung? Sorry, i am new to all this tech.

Just bought my 50Q9 yesterday and very happy. Harvey Norman guy almost changed my mind by point out that its only 50hz and the Pana 70A is 100hz but then I remembered that not a single review had ever said a problem about not being able to refresh fast enough so I bit the bullet and just bought it.

Managed to get a pretty good price too. TV was $2089 and I extended the warranty out to 5 years which cost another $259.

Anyone have a setup guide on how they get the best picture?

Hey guys, I am now having a fairly severe problem with my panel ...

Over the last few months I started to notice a large area, maybe 20x20cm, just to the right of centre that is having some severe pixel 'buzzing' where the pixels aren't holding the correct colour. They are jumping around from colour to colour and it gives a grainy effect. It is getting progressively worse, and I've noticed it elsewhere on the screen also, just not as condensed as this particular area.

I rang samsung to find info on whether it will be covered (surely it has to be) but their helpdesk just took my number and say they "will get back to me".

It's a real headfk because I've been quite happy with the panel until this happened.

I don't have time to go through the entire thread but is this a known problem, was there a bad batch or something, or if it does get replaced under warranty am I likely to have this happen again? If so I might just ebay it and upgrade.

PS - I have treated this screen very gently, breaking it in over ~300 hours on low contrast etc, and it hasn't been manhandled at all or anything like that. It probably has 2000 hours or so on it.

Cheers,

Nick.

Yeah turns out it was a panel fault. Basically a whole 1/3 of the panel was ****ed. The guy who came out was a contractor, not actually from samsung and was extremely helpful - he said this was only the second q91 he had seen with that issue.

Hi, I am wanting to connect my PC to my 50" C91 panel and I need some advice.

My PC and TV are in different rooms and the cable length between them is approximately 8 metres. I am connecting the TV so that I can watch DVDs and divX from the PC - all computer related work will be done on the PC monitor and not the TV. I also won't be watching any broadcasts from a TV tuner in the PC. The computer has a BENQ 19" LCD 1280x1024 monitor and an ASUS 6600 GT card (with DVI and D-SUB). In the not too distant future I plan to get a bluetooth media keyboard that I can move in front of the PC and the TV as needed.

So far, I have connected the TV to the PC (on HDMI2) with a 10m HDMI cable and a HDMI-DVI adaptor. The 19" LCD monitor is then connected to the D-SUB. I have also connected the sound to the corresponding HDMI2 sound inputs with 10m RCA cables and an RCA-3.5mm adaptor. I have successfully got a picture and sound on the TV from playing a DVD on the PC. This was very exciting, but now I need help with the settings of NVIDIA forceware for the best functionality as described above. I should point out here that this is the first time I have tried to connect a TV to a PC, so lamens terms would be helpful.

1. I have run the multi display wizard on NVIDIA control panel and it asks which HDTV format to use out of 480p/576p/720p/1080i. So far I have selected 720p but I am not sure if this is the correct setting. Also, I have read within this thread, that some people have set the display to 1360x768x60. I have not come across this option so far.

2. I then have a choice of "Dualview" or "Clone".

2a. I understand that "Clone" uses the same settings for both the TV and the monitor, and also displays the same desktop. I would like the functionality of "Clone" mode since I would have full use of the desktop at either the TV or the PC monitor, the problem however, is that the monitor resolution is 1280x1024 while the TV resolution is 1360x768 - does anyone use this mode successfully with a TV and PC monitor? I tried playing a DVD in "Clone" mode and the movie played on the monitor ok but not on the TV. The TV only showed the Windows Media Player application with no movie playing. But the sound keeps playing ok on the TV through the RCA cables.

2b. I then tried "Dualview" and was able to play a DVD with Windows Media Player on the TV. The trouble here was that I had to open the movie from the PC monitor and then relocate the application to the TV's desktop. I am hoping there is some way that I can sit in front of the TV with a bluetooth keyboard and play movies from there without having to go to the PC everytime. (I don't have a bluetooth keyboard yet - but plan to get one if this functionality is possible).

3. I have also looked under the TV settings were you can enable a movie to be displayed at full size on the alternate display. This worked but there was a problem here too - when the movie was played on the TV it was zoomed in such that the edges of the picture were out past the edges of the screen (overscan I think it is called).

These questions are not definitive, this is only what I have experience so far. I could be completely off track for all I know. If anyone has answers to these question I would be appreciative, or if I have completely overlooked something, then other advice would be appreciated too! For example, should I give up on using HDMI and go to VGA cable? I have also read in this thread that HDMI only does 60Hz whereas VGA does 50Hz - is this a big factor too? One last thing to add is that I bought a HDMI cable instead of a VGA cable with future proofing in mind. Cables are expensive (especially 10m long) so I thought HDMI would be better for when I upgrade my PC to a box likely to have native HDMI out. Although, I bought the cables at dick smith and they said if things don't work out I can change it for VGA - so it is still an option for me.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by CrazyEyes