Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Im prob just cautious. I think for the first few weeks its worth it. lets face it, you would spew if you played it for 2 yrs and had a perm burn on the screen. I think i actually ran it 3 times in 4 hrs of playing the 360. But i had a few phone calls and just switched the tv off whilst i was on the phone. Not a big hassle.

I still love the Q9 and its great for games. I still reckon games look better on plasma than LCD. Maybe its just me, but i can never get the brightness right. Its always too dark or too light. Plasma looks great. I have a samsung 66cm LCD which i used to use for the 360 and always hurt my eyes.

If you have the money get the 46inch. I really didnt want to pay an extra $1000 for the 46"and didnt want to downscale to the 40" lcd.

My Girlfriend loves this tv, so im stuck with it either way.

I'm in exactly the same boat as Exi - was tossing up between the 46" M81 LCD and the 50" Q9 Plasma for xbox 360, standard DVDs (to be upscaled) and free to air with a 3-3.5m viewing distance. And like Chairman, I really don't want to have to take a break too often on my xbox 360... I don't play for more than a couple hours in a row, but scanning every 20 minutes will be really pushing it!

Anyway I knew about both tvs quite a while ago and have been trying to choose for almost 2 months. I finally decided to order the Plasma because:

Although my viewing area has a lot of ambient light - with the new reflective LCD there was no advantage there. Also, most of my viewing will be at night.

Plan to have lots of group movie nights, where Plasma has the advantage (with regard to viewing angle, both vertical and horizontal... or is this no longer the case?)

At 3-3.5 metres I probably can't tell the difference in resolution

Plasma will have better Picture Quality overall

Plasma 4" bigger

Xbox 360 (Premium) doesn't have 1080p HDMI out anyway

Better for sports - hope I get delivery in time for Origin

Don't plan on getting into HD DVD or Blu-Ray until everything settles down - at least a year away

And finally, Plasma was over $1k cheaper - which is a fairly big difference.

Besides, in about 5 years I'll probably be tempted to upgrade to some fancy new 1440p SED or OLED tv anyway.

All this against:

1080p resolution... always tempting but as mentioned, not that useful to me at my viewing distance

Lighter, easier to move around. Handy initally... but once in place - i probably won't need to move

Less power consumption - this would be useful... I wonder how much power it would save?

Little or no chance of burn-in - Again, very useful feature, but hopefully 2007 Plasmas are much less susceptible than previously

Better for use as a monitor for my laptop - Also useful, but my laptop has a 17" WXGA screen anyway, so I can probably live without.

My two cents, hope this helps!

Mike

After viewing both the Plasma and the 46" LCD today, and thinking about things, I finally went ahead and got the 46" LCD. The plasma would have suited me just fine, but in the end, the paranoia of burn in, and the having to change channels and run the burn in program all the time, kinda put me off it.

I think you guys are really exaggerating plasma burn in. These are modern displays with pixel shift and other anti burn-in features.

To say that you need to stop gaming every 20 minutes sounds a bit over the top. I think you can safely watch regular tv or play games without the risk of channel logos or games burning into a plasma.

If you were using it as a commercial display showing the same content every day, then burn in might be an issue but not for normal usage.

I said that only as a precaution.

Maybe its just me being paranoid. As i stated in a later post, I did play for 4 hrs and done it about 3 times. The only time i saw something on the black to white screen burn protection was about 1-2 hrs of solid playing on Over G Fighters where the target info in the top right hand corner is constant.

But each to their own. Majormick you made a good choice. And when you do get a blu ray player / hd player you will still be blown away by the quality on the Q9. I hate watching standard dvd's now, blu ray looks that good.

Its like going from dvd back to video for me.

Pity there arent more titles available on blu ray yet.

After viewing both the Plasma and the 46" LCD today, and thinking about things, I finally went ahead and got the 46" LCD. The plasma would have suited me just fine, but in the end, the paranoia of burn in, and the having to change channels and run the burn in program all the time, kinda put me off it.

What price ? as this was from JB Chermside right ?

Good for you. Funny thing is I went to JB this evening to look over the TV's and try and make a final decision. I am heading the opposite way. That big Samsung was, well, big - and I was really impressed with its production on a very poor TV signal.

I can only imagine what the 360 will look like on it.

Now I have to work out how I am going to afford it (as well as getting married in Las Vegas this year)

Dont get married. There i solved ya problem :blink:

Yeah I'll run that by my fiancee and she what she says shall I....

I am still trying to guage that scale of a 50 inch screen in my living room. It is so hard in the show rooms. You end up all skewed thinking that 42 inches is too small.

I had to walk over to the old CRT TVs and try an convince myself that they were the same size as the TV I had at home. There is some serious optical illuisions at work.

I have even mapped out the dimensions on my huge dining room table to get an idea of the scale of the panel. Its almost as big and the table fits six!

I don't think anybody can get home and think - nah it doesn't look as big now can they??

Here's some pics i took with Happy Feet on Blu Ray via HDMI run @ 1080i on PS3. I tried to capture the blacks hope they look ok.

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 1

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 2

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 3

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 4

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 5

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 6

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 7

Here's some pics i took with Happy Feet on Blu Ray via HDMI run @ 1080i on PS3. I tried to capture the blacks hope they look ok.

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 1

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 2

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 3

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 4

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 5

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 6

Samsung PS50Q91HDX Plasma - Happy Feet Blu Ray on PS3 Pic 7

Thanks, looks good!

Wow that looks great. Might be worth getting the hd dvd player for my 360 to go on my PS42Q91HDX.

Pallamallawa, do you have any trouble with digital channels not loading straight away as Im still having problems with mine?

Edited by TrentC

Just bought the Samsung Q91 50", cant wait to get it home and wired !!

wht price did you get it for?

hehehe $2875

Great price. I take it you didn't opt for the extended warranty

Great price. I take it you didn't opt for the extended warranty

No, no extended warranty. I have noticed that things tend to conk out just after the warranty is over. If it does die on me, just my luck :blink:

Wow that looks great. Might be worth getting the hd dvd player for my 360 to go on my PS42Q91HDX.

Pallamallawa, do you have any trouble with digital channels not loading straight away as Im still having problems with mine?

Not really. When i do, its more my aerial as its actually broken @ the wall socket and tends to fall out sometimes.

But all ok. quick second between changes. At my old house i used to use rabbit ears, cause when i would plug it into the aerial it would boost it too much and the picture would break up heaps. Used the rabbit ears and worked 100%. Maybe give that a shot.

great price! i take it that was cash? was that in melbourne?

cheers

nick

No mate, VISA , sydney

No mate, VISA , sydney

mate, would love to know where you got that price from. i'm from sydney and am really keen on this plasma

Here ya go guys. Happy Feet Standard DVD. This is from my LG DN100H DVD Player. Upscaled to 1080i via HDMI:

Happy Feet SD DVD upscaled to 1080i via HDMI - Samsung 50" Plasma Pic8

Happy Feet SD DVD upscaled to 1080i via HDMI - Samsung 50" Plasma Pic9

Happy Feet SD DVD upscaled to 1080i via HDMI - Samsung 50" Plasma Pic10

Happy Feet SD DVD upscaled to 1080i via HDMI - Samsung 50" Plasma Pic11

mate, would love to know where you got that price from. i'm from sydney and am really keen on this plasma

I have a friend who works at JB. PM me and I will give u his details.

How many of you are experiencing the digital reception problem mentioned in this thread?

Cheers,

morkli.