Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

BTW: What makes the Q9 "shite" over the Q7 in your opinion?

The picture quality. The blacks, whites & colour are great on the Q9 over the Q7. 3 x HDMI is good also.

There are some little issues with this unit though. I narrowed the flicker down to the dynamic setting. Doesnt matter if you have the Dynamic Contrast turned off, low, medium or high. As soon as you select Dynamic from the standard picture mode and when changing the channel, the channel flickers. I also noticed this whilst watching Happy Feet on Bluray. Right at the start of the movie when it say's Happy Feet on the Sun and fly's thru the planets. When it gets to Earth the planet flickers. So i changed the mode to standard and the flicker stopped. I tried it again back to dynamic and it was there. So its definatley the Dynamic option and not the Dynamic Contrast option.

Some times when i change to a HDMI setting the picture wont appear. You need to turn the TV off and on again. Ive tried the HDMI-CEC thing and it finds nothing, even though i have 2 HDMI cables plugged in.

The design of the TV is nice, apart from no handles at the back of the tv when lifting out of the box. The swivel stand is good.

Movie Plus for me looks excellent on the Bluray movies, eveything else it looks crap on and Its turned off.

Still for $2900 its well worth it.

The more and more i read about the 46inch 1080P LCD it makes me want to change to that.

I can't find these on the Samsung site. Does anybody have a link to the online manual?

I am very interested in people's opinions esp' in relation to this TV for gaming.

The PS3 and the xbox360 look awesome. I would like to see what they look like in 1080p though.

Samsung are hopeless, the new plasma's were out before the LCD's and they updated them.

Movie Plus for me looks excellent on the Bluray movies, eveything else it looks crap on and Its turned off.

Still for $2900 its well worth it.

The more and more i read about the 46inch 1080P LCD it makes me want to change to that.

What did you mean by that first line? Do you mean everything apart from blue-ray looks crap? The most important thing for me is DVD's (upscaled via HDMI, not true HD DVD I know - not planning on ps3 for ages...) and watching footy via the HD tuner. Not so worried about the gaming aspect. How do see the performance of the things I am after?

The Tv has this new thing called Movie Plus. It sort of makes the foreground look like is 2 dimentional.

It works on Blu ray, but loos crap on other DVD's. You can turn it off though, So its not a big problem. Dont get me wrong the tv still looks great.

Hi, I am looking for a TV for my bedroom and I will mainly use it for gaming 80-90% of the time. Is this TV suitable for gaming or would it be better to get an LCD? My bedroom is pretty small aswell and I will be sitting about 6 feet (2m) away so will it be too big? It will be a big step up from my 51cm CRT that's for sure!

My budget was only around $1500 but I guess I could stretch it a little bit. What's the cheapest price you have seen it for lately?

Cheers!

Apparently the cheapest has been $3000 with extended warranty.

So probably around $2800 would be the cheapest with standard samsung 2year warranty

The Tv has this new thing called Moie Plus. It sort of makes the foreground look like is 2 dimentional.

It works on Blu ray, but loos crap on other DVD's. You can turn it off though, So its not a big problem. Dont get me wrong the tv still looks great.

Ah ok, sounds like a handy feature for the blu-ray then. What do you think of the PQ with normal dvd's upscaled, and the SD channels? Most importantly, the footy?

Apparently the cheapest has been $3000 with extended warranty.

So probably around $2800 would be the cheapest with standard samsung 2year warranty

Oh sorry, I meant the 42" Q7. :blink:

Ah ok, sounds like a handy feature for the blu-ray then. What do you think of the PQ with normal dvd's upscaled, and the SD channels? Most importantly, the footy?

Normal DVD's look ok upscaled, its sort like watching a video after you have watched a bluray movie, they look nowhere near as clear as bluray ( which is understandable )

I dont reckon the tuner is as good as the Q7 however. The football looks ok, but still has a fair bit of motion blur pixelation. Remember though Im only 2m from the screen.

I purchased the Ps42q91hdx last week from JB in Lonsdale St and am loving it. My 360 looks great on it. I watch it from about 2.5-3m away and the 42" is a perfect size.

Only thing is I have been having trouble with the built in HD tuner as 50% of the time when i turn it on i get no digital channels and it just says no signals and the other 50% they all appear fine and perfect. Look and its a Bit error of 10 which i have no idea about. Hopefully its an easy fix. It seems if i turn it off for about 2 minutes and turn it back on it will fix itself and get the digital signal again.

Only thing is I have been having trouble with the built in HD tuner as 50% of the time when i turn it on i get no digital channels and it just says no signals and the other 50% they all appear fine and perfect. Look and its a Bit error of 10 which i have no idea about. Hopefully its an easy fix. It seems if i turn it off for about 2 minutes and turn it back on it will fix itself and get the digital signal again.

Does it also have an analouge tuner?

Does it also have an analouge tuner?

Yes. So normal channels are always fine, just the digital channels.

Hi Trent,

Do you mind if I ask how much you got your Ps42q91hdx for? Thanks

Normal DVD's look ok upscaled, its sort like watching a video after you have watched a bluray movie, they look nowhere near as clear as bluray ( which is understandable )

I dont reckon the tuner is as good as the Q7 however. The football looks ok, but still has a fair bit of motion blur pixelation. Remember though Im only 2m from the screen.

That's kind of worrying.... One thing I was hoping for was very low motion blur. I love watching GP's and the odd footy match. Can anyone compare the Q7/Q9 to the Pana's in terms of motion blur?

Hi Trent,

Do you mind if I ask how much you got your Ps42q91hdx for? Thanks

I purchased a heap of other stuff as well so i got a really good price. I heard a JB guy say at another store say to someone else you are looking around $2200 if you just get TV i think. Speak to Danny he was really helpful.

Edited by TrentC

I purchased a heap of other stuff as well so i got a really good price. I heard a JB guy say at another store say to someone else you are looking around $2200 if you just get TV i think.

Does anybody have links to on-line reviews etc?

Thanks for those links. Looks like a solid TV. The JB is advertising the 42 inch model for $2293 - which means that $2,000 should be reachable. I guess the next step will be to go see it running.

Does anybody have a link to the manual or a detailed spec sheet - ie weight?

I can't believe samsung hasn't updated their website.

I hate xbox360.....they fail too much. Ive had 4 replacements since 22nd March and they are all stuffed.

I'm sorry to hear about your xbox360 packing it in so often. But if you did replace it four times you must have loved it once.

I hope my 360 never fails like so many others have

Off topic i know, but HN ended up giving me a brand new one. I got to keep the busted one and can send it back for a 5th time and get it repaired. When its returned Im going keep it incase the new one breaks.

I am going out tomorrow to buy a new TV. ATM I am tossing up between the 46" Samsung LCD and the 50" Plasma. It'd be used for gaming and DVD/Blu Ray viewing.

My main concern for the plasma is the chance of burn in with gaming. With the latest Q9 model, would I still have to change over to tv/dvd every 30 minutes-60 minutes to avoid burn in, or is it safe now to play for an hour or 2 straight without the worry of burn in?

Part of me is leaning towards the LCD for 1080p res and no burn in (well..I don't play enough to burn in on an LCD)...but I guess with a viewing distance of @3.2 metres, I really wouldn't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p anyway.

Whats the PQ like with standard upscaled DVD's?

Seems each pro/con for LCD/Plasma is the opposite to each other. What's a pro for plasma, is a con for LCD and vice versa :blink:

I played the 360 for a few hours the other day on the Q9 and i just run the screen burn every 20 mins or so. It doesnt take long.

If you have the cash get the 1080p 46".

I played the 360 for a few hours the other day on the Q9 and i just run the screen burn every 20 mins or so. It doesnt take long.

Every 20 min? That sounds like a pain? As a potential buyer of this set and like Existenz I would be wondering whether that is just a case of being extra-cautious or something that you need to do?

I tend to flick occasionally back to TV from playing and I never let it paused on a screen but on games that have dials and scoreboards on the screen I would like to be able to play in excess of 1 hour without worrying if I have damaged my $3,000 investment.

If it was a case of running the burn protection every so often - maybe 2 - 3 times a week sure - but every 20 min during gaming? Tell me its not so?

Also in all the debate about burning am I right in thinking that it is difficult to permanertly burn newer models and that temporary or repairable ghosting is more common?