Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Quote:Firstly thanks to you lioannou, for all the effort and time you have put into this problem.

I would like to reiterate the above,and to say yes this upgrade does work.

Its fixed a lot of the little problems that this TV had.

Once all the FTA moguls get there acts together and upgrade there broadcast standards it will be even better.

Once again,thanks for the time/effort to help others.

For those on SW 1008 step 4 :Scroll down and click on USB DOWNLOAD.

It should be :Scroll down and click on SW UPGRADE.

HDROCKS> :wub:

"but kink kong on 1012 looked really good "

Danm man, i can imagine the screaming orgasms on that one.. lol

Dont mind me, im in a mood.. lol

yaeeks... i actually have this bunch of mates and one of them whom we call kink kong... and i guess it just carries onto forums now...

Hi all,

Long time reader first time reply. I purchased the F81 back in late Jan, still waiting for the promo LCD. After recieving 2 comfirmation e-mails telling me that all is well, just wait for the postman to drop it off, yeh right. I rang Samsung last week to ask how things are progressing and was told that they were waiting for the serial number of the unit, also that another company had been looking after the promo deals early in the peace (maybe this didn't help either), she when on to tell me that Samsung is now taking care of the promo's.

Just wondering if this was common knowledge, I thought that Samsung was looking after the promo's from the start. Anyway food for thought.

P.S I must be one of the lucky ones as I havn't had the problems stated in the prevoius threads, but in saying this I did have a problem (new to this forum)in the first two weeks, will expand later.

Applied the 1012 firmware and are happy with the results. Playing MLB: The Show 08 and the Triple Ball Effect was very noticable on the ball flying through the air with AMP on low with 1008 firmware, with 1012 i have it set to medium and the TBE is just barely noticable, and i mean you can only just see it sometimes if you are really looking for it. FTA chanels with AMP on medium looks great, watching the Grand Prix on Ten HD and haven't seen any heat haze effect at all.

Hi we are all a little excited over the new firm ware update to reply :)

But I'll give it a go the samsung had issues when first realeased with what they called the Wave problem

this was fixed with a firmware update 1008 and all tvs after that were shipped out with the update so that was fixed

However the mothion Plus 100hz has never worked like it supposed too other problems present are the Heat Haze and Tripple Ball effect it remains to be seen weather they will be fixed with the new update realeased today but we are all hopeful some peoples tvs were recieved with a lean to them though it seems that they were mainly early one and QA procedure at samsung has improved. Please don't let this put you off I do believe that this is one of the best LCDs on the market even without the 100hz working it is still a beautifull picture better than any others I auditioned the best judge is not the SPEC sheets but what you like when you visit the stores (be aware stores to fiddle with settings to make one look better than the others depending on what they want to sell)

Cant say much else other than I didn't like the phillips

check this thread for pricing

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=56941

Mel

Hi Mel,

Appreciate the response, i was worried my post was going to get lost amongst the excitement. Ill download the latest firmware as well and update his model once he gets it. Yes, hes settled on this despite being tempted by one of the panasonic plasma tvs (700a) in the same price range.

Cheers.

My son has just purchased to samsung ps50q91hd. Seems ok except for the channel search. Seems to only get the basic 2, 7, 9, 10 28 etc. None of the other HD channels appear. Looks like an analogue tuner. Are we doing something wrong? Is this really a HD tuner built in? Is there a switch or setting we are missing :wacko:

First of all a big thank you to lioannou for helping and following through with Samsung to get the motion flow fixed. Well done mate !

I havent tried the update myself since I do not have a usb stick ... but will end up buying one this weekend.

Now reading through Psygnosis' update on applying the firmware especially "Medium looks like Motion Plus is off" ... I am beginning to wonder a conspiracy theory. Given that many of us have signed petitions and threatened to complain to ACCC against Samsung ---- could they have reprogrammed it so that Motion Plus Low and Medium is actually "OFF" ??? They must have got the idea from us since we all said that the TV is brilliant when we set the motion plus to off. Its a win/win situation for them since they would technically claim to have fixed the problem and in the process have made samsung customers really satisfied and pleased.

Just a wild wild thought ... dont take this seriously! I am sure many of us in this forum can run proper test to verify this update. The best idea is to actually compare the motion flow with Sony X series? Or even better would be Padre recording a video in his cam to test this as he said in http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=991758

EDIT: My thoughts were because I remember Samsung mentioning earlier (posted somewhere in this thread) that motion plus cannot be fixed easily since there is some power issue in the panel .. anybody recall this ???

And also Padre had also mentioned earlier that fixing the other issues like wave etc. is easy compared to fixing the motion plus which will be quite hard and requires a lot more technical changes .. or something along those lines!

I updated my 46f8 earlier today and after about 10 hours of viewing(i know what your thinking get a life)im starting to think along the same lines as reynold, because medium is the same as low,and low is the same as off,maybe samsung are thinking its harder to complain if you cant see a problem to complain about. Sorry guys i know it going against the grain at the moment thats just my opinon.

I updated my 46f8 earlier today and after about 10 hours of viewing(i know what your thinking get a life)im starting to think along the same lines as reynold, because medium is the same as low,and low is the same as off,maybe samsung are thinking its harder to complain if you cant see a problem to complain about. Sorry guys i know it going against the grain at the moment thats just my opinon.

Its not secret that "Motion Plus" was adjusted to better suit our tastes. Part of that 'adjustment' was probably a reduction in the amount it adjusted the scenes, because previously it was doing too much.

As far as I know - MEDIUM is not the same as the "old LOW". Its different, and doesnt work the way you are thinking. You need to remember - that in a way, the fact that you dont notice Motion Plus is a sign that it is doing its job correctly. I.e. if "Motion Plus" was really obvious (like it is on HIGH), then the scenes look fake, and the picture just doesnt seem right. Thats not a fault of Samsung, thats a byproduct of artifical motion adjustment (which affects all brands - including my famous BRAND-A I tested against).

I did some tests at home tonight - and I can tell a difference between LOW and OFF on Bluerays. If you had 2x TV's beside each other, you can see the difference.

More importantly - I can see a huge difference between MEDIUM and OFF when watching normal TV.

Wasn't very impressed with the instructions. They missed steps, and after completing them my TV contained fw112, but was not running it, it was still running 1009.

Here is my revised instructions.

F8 LCDTV USB Update

1. Plug in external USB device to Wiselink input on side of TV

2. Power on TV

3. Press MENU on remote and Access SETUP

4. Scroll down and click on SW Ugrade

5. Scroll down adn click on USB DOWNLOAD

- Unit will scan for USB

- Upgrade version 1006 to version 1012 will appear on screen

5. Click OK

- Unit will upgrade then power off

- Unit will power back on by itself

6. Press MENU on remote and Access SETUP

7. Click on ‘SW Upgrade’

8. Click on "Over the Air Download"

9. Click on "Software Information"

10. Scroll to "Alternative Software: T-PenyAU0 - 1012"

11. Press the red button to "Switch Default Software"

12. Press the blue button to "Confirm"

-Unit will power off

-Unit will power on by itself

OK, even after doing what I've done above it seems my TV keeps reverting back to 1009 when it restarts and listing 1012 as alternative software.

What am I doing wrong? How should I turn the software on? Or does the re-tuning the channels that the original instructions said to do (which I ignored, because I don't see how sitting here waiting 10 mins for my channels to re-tune will make a difference) what actually turns it on?

Where are you located?

if you are not in an area where digital is being transmitted you will not get any HD channels.

My son has just purchased to samsung ps50q91hd. Seems ok except for the channel search. Seems to only get the basic 2, 7, 9, 10 28 etc. None of the other HD channels appear. Looks like an analogue tuner. Are we doing something wrong? Is this really a HD tuner built in? Is there a switch or setting we are missing :wacko:

Hi guys,

I am a little lost could someone explain the fix again with step by step instructions on how to get 1080p working.

I have just purchased an F8 40 inch and a ps3.

I am trying to get 1080p to run on my ps3 via hdmi. The issue i am having is that it will work for a short period of time and then it will drop the signal (in game or in the ps3 menu system).

i have updated the firmware on the tv and ps3 and am still having issues.

Any suggestions are must appreciated

Thanks is advance.

Hi guys,

I am a little lost could someone explain the fix again with step by step instructions on how to get 1080p working.

I have just purchased an F8 40 inch and a ps3.

I am trying to get 1080p to run on my ps3 via hdmi. The issue i am having is that it will work for a short period of time and then it will drop the signal (in game or in the ps3 menu system).

i have updated the firmware on the tv and ps3 and am still having issues.

Any suggestions are must appreciated

Thanks is advance.

Well, why not first of all start off by explaining the version of the HDMI cable you use and the steps in which you enabled 1080p, then we can get a understanding.

To enable 1080p, it's all under Display Settings, and just be sure you tick "1080p"

OK, even after doing what I've done above it seems my TV keeps reverting back to 1009 when it restarts and listing 1012 as alternative software.

What am I doing wrong? How should I turn the software on? Or does the re-tuning the channels that the original instructions said to do (which I ignored, because I don't see how sitting here waiting 10 mins for my channels to re-tune will make a difference) what actually turns it on?

No idea what is going wrong, but i just put the USB in, and done this bit:

5. Scroll down adn click on USB DOWNLOAD

- Unit will scan for USB

- Upgrade version 1006 to version 1012 will appear on screen...

replacing 1006 with 1009, then TV turns off, then returns back on.. and it was automatically default on 1012.

Well, why not first of all start off by explaining the version of the HDMI cable you use and the steps in which you enabled 1080p, then we can get a understanding.

To enable 1080p, it's all under Display Settings, and just be sure you tick "1080p"

The version of HDMI cable? im not 100% sure what you mean. I am using a PURE|AV cable from Belkin.

I am going into the display settings, Video Output settings, selecting HDMI, then choosing custom.

Then i test each resolution (sometime 1080i tests ok sometime not), check them all (when 1080i works).

Once on the next screen i get a message appear on my tv saying "mode not supported" and "Searching for Signal" then it puts the res back to 1080i.

I dont kno if it matters but Cross Color Reduction Filter is off, RGB Full Rage HDMI is on Full and Y PB/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White is on.

Other times 1080i will work for a short period of time after setting it and then i get the same message "mode not supported" and "Searching for Signal".

Thanks

Edited by lan3vo

The version of HDMI cable? im not 100% sure what you mean. I am using a PURE|AV cable from Belkin.

I am going into the display settings, Video Output settings, selecting HDMI, then choosing custom.

Then i test each resolution (sometime 1080i tests ok sometime not), check them all (when 1080i works).

Once on the next screen i get a message appear on my tv saying "mode not supported" and "Searching for Signal" then it puts the res back to 1080i.

I dont kno if it matters but Cross Color Reduction Filter is off, RGB Full Rage HDMI is on Full and Y PB/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White is on.

Other times 1080i will work for a short period of time after setting it and then i get the same message "mode not supported" and "Searching for Signal".

Thanks

Believe it or not - the PureAV cable from Belkin is the issue. You need to get a HDMI cable from Fox - see the other forum post here - he sells the best/latest 1.3 HDMI cable - I've got 3 of them - and I used to own Belkin PureAV - these are better: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=56228

Wasn't very impressed with the instructions. They missed steps, and after completing them my TV contained fw112, but was not running it, it was still running 1009.

FYI - the "instructions" were correct. But for some reason your TV is not applying them.

From what I've read, you are doing it correctly. Give Samsung Tech support a call - they should be able to help.

Just from my curiousity - when you select '1012' - does it let you watch it, or does it 'restart' and then revert to 1009?

Believe it or not - the PureAV cable from Belkin is the issue. You need to get a HDMI cable from Fox - see the other forum post here - he sells the best/latest 1.3 HDMI cable - I've got 3 of them - and I used to own Belkin PureAV - these are better: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=56228

Hi Lioannou, did you experience the same issue when using Belkin PureAV?

Hi Lioannou, did you experience the same issue when using Belkin PureAV?

With an xbox360 when playing 1080p games - yes.

The reason is that the Belkin PureAV are not 1.3 certified. This means, in english, they dont support the bandwidth required for 1080p data, so they 'drop' part of the signal, thus the TV does not recognise and display correct (hence sometimes you will see an image, sometimes you dont).

I'm in Melbourne - I get all the digital channels on my set top box. Has this Samsung really got HD tuner built in? Very strange that the default auto scan only finds to 6 normal channels (including sbs 28 and community channel 31). This looks like analogue to me. Has anyone with the PS50Q91HD managed to get the full set of HD channels?

FYI - the "instructions" were correct. But for some reason your TV is not applying them.

From what I've read, you are doing it correctly. Give Samsung Tech support a call - they should be able to help.

Just from my curiousity - when you select '1012' - does it let you watch it, or does it 'restart' and then revert to 1009?

It restarts when I apply 1012 as I wrote above.

As I said though, I didn't re-tune the tuner. Do I need to follow this part of the instructions or is that just if you have a new TV? Or should applying the new firmware wipe the channels?

Also I got a 5ft HDMI cable with a USB recharge cable for PS3 for $20 from JB-hi-fi. No issues at all.

Edited by Sicarius123