Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I doubt waiting for the F9 LCD will solve you concerns.

Firstly, the F9 is already in Australia - but only in the 70" LCD (yes, 70" LCD - RRP about $45k). The Dymanic contrast ratio they quote of 500,000:1 is more of a marketing play on numbers.

Secondly, your concerns about the F8 would not be solved by the F9:

- Stock delays: waiting for the F9 for 6 months wont solve that. And you run the very high risk of having the F9 been pushed back to Dec 08. No one can promise a date, especially 5 months in advance.

- Faulty unit: Unfortunately your unit was faulty, most are not [remember: the amount of complaints on the forums is weighted towards a negative bias). So waiting for the F9 does not solve that

- 100Hz Motion Plus: As far as I know, the 100Hz feature is not in the F9. Therefore, by turning off the feature in the F8, you dont get a difference between the two units

I know waiting for the F9 is a long term solution, but hey what the heck, hopefully "Good things come to those that wait". I did have a closer look at my brother's F8 and the HI-DEF resolution really blows away anything else out there. After watching the Full Hi DEF LCD for a while, I am sort of glad I am not getting the lower resolution picture on the 26' Samsung bonus LCD. Once you've tried FULL HI DEF there's no going back.

I know the dynamic contrast ratio on the F9 is quoted at a ridiculous 500 000:1, but I have also read that the black-level performance of the F9 is improved again due to using LED backlighting, although the LED backlighting does introduce a new effect called 'blooming' due to the backlight effectively being turn off on the black regions. The F9 doesn't have the 100Hz Motion Plus, but instead it has a feature called LED Motion Plus, I hope this doesn't exhibit the same problems as the F8.

I am still satisfied that asking for a refund was the correct thing to do for myself, because I feel as though I received a factory second after waiting 2 months. Hopefully Samsung will pick there act up and introduce the LED backlit LCD's without the same fuss as what has happened to the F8 and I hope they also fix the 100Hz motion plus feature on the F8 as there are a lot of people who have purchased this LCD already (including my brother).

I think that this forum is starting to show up on Samsung's radar, and I'm sure that their marketing division would be interested in keeping their customer's happy, otherwise as a customer I have the ultimate power in deciding which brand, product I will spend my money on.

Hi ZiggyPiggy333 - welcome to the forum - yes, I agree with others that your TV is/was definitely a "lemon" - a few others have received F81 TVs that had the same problem and there should be absolutely no problem with getting it replaced (but I see that you got a refund) - fortunately, most of us have not had to endure that particular problem which, of course, is totally unacceptable - makes you wonder about Samsung's Quality Control processes to let one with such an obvious fault get through - unless it went faulty after it left the factory - who knows.

As you are aware, the only real issue with the F81 TVs now is the 100HZ Motion Flow which Samsung appear to be "on to" so all we can do is wait to see what they come up with. Yes, it's a hard decision that you had to make as we all know there will always be something better and cheaper "around the corner":-)

Cheers

powerman1

Thanks Powerman,

The quality control issue really played a big part in my decision to get a refund as I did feel that the LCD that I received had been opened previously. This is why I have listed the serial number in my original post, just in case they try to sell it to another future customer as a brand new F8 rather than a factory second.

At least I managed to re-negotiate the price down from $3450 to $2800 for my brother's F8, and that was mainly due to this forum.

Regards,

ZiggyPiggy333

Nice to see some positive comments coming through on this forum.

This is my second post on how good this TV is and I'm back just because this forum almost made me cancel my order so I'm hoping other readers don't when they see positive feedback.

Bottom line 100mhz does nothing for me and happy to admit that. But this TV is fantastic regardless - great blacks, colour and the set itself is just awesome.

So please if you were like me and reading through this forum thinking "man this telly is crap" please don't think that.

This TV is the best you can buy in the price range and the picture is awesome. I use the calibrations already stated on this forum and it is fantastic. Don't expect much from paytv (austar in my case) cause the feed is low quality just watch the HD channels even when they are not broadcastings and it's still good.

My favourite thing is to watch the HD channels on free to air cause they don't have many ads so you get nice peaceful music with beautiful scenery instead of blaring ads about rubbish you don't want.

So don't not buy because of the comments on this forum. There are many happy campers out there that are not posting here!

you have verified the SCART to componen t (red, green, blue for video, plus red+white audio) cable is coming out of the TV SCART plug on the foxtel (which foxtel box do you have by the way?) and going into the component input on the Samsung? You also need to set video output mode to "YUV" in the foxtel setup menus to enable the component output.

Closer and closer... I shifted the Foxtel (it's the IQ, by the way) to YUV, and immediately got a picture. But no sound, even though it still comes out of the analog channel when I select that (and you are spot on about the difference in picture quality...)... any other suggestions about the sound?

Thanks again

David

Once again, check the cable that was used to hook it up. Some SCART to component cables will have analog audio as well (so you get 5 plugs, red+green+blue for video plus red,white for audio... sometimes even a 6th yellow plug which will be composite video out), and others will only be SCART to component video (ie only the red blue and green 3 plugs) with no audio. If you have the latter, you will need to either get a SCART top component cable that has audio as well, or hook the audio up separately...

Audio output options from the IQ:

Analog audio red+white from SCART connector, or red+white analog RCA outputs on the back of the IQ. Make sure the analog audio cables go into the audio inputs on the tv that match with component input #1

Or if your BOSE stereo can take them, use optical or coax SPDIF outputs on back of IQ, for digital audio - this will give Dolby Digital on the movie channels, and 2 channel PCM for others

Edited by scarecrow420

Guest F8L8te
So after a week now of watching I can confirm this.

LA46F81BDX

Running with a Samsung DVD-1080P7 DVD Player on Upscale (looks pretty damn good).

Soon to run on a HT-TX100T System

V1009 Firmware.

Setup picture and colour how I like.

DVD always on 1080P through HDMI

Setup TV and DVD to run at full 100MHz (as it always should be, this is what its bloody built for).

The only gripe I have with this TV is the fact that the 100MHz issue is very obvious. Not annoying but very obvious enough to say its a flaw. It does not annoy me too much, but if i buy a toaster that has 5 heat settings, i expect to be able to use all 5 of them.

If this issue is not fixed with firmware, and I am not even sure firmware can fix an issue with this technology, there MUST be a recall and replacement by Samsung or a technical fix on all units.

I like many HAVE called samsung three times and got the same answer every time, "it is being looked into and will be fixed in the comming months with an "update", thanks for your patience".

My advice is, do not buy this TV yet, wait until us existing owners say its fixed or resolved, by that time it will be cheaper anyway.

I have a few questions about this screen & its' 100Mhz Motion Plus issues. I've only seen the set once a long time ago now (a 40") & didn't observe anything obvious then, though it was only a brief squiz. Does motion blur/judder occur more readily on a larger screen. I've seen quite a bit of blur while watching Footy on a friends' projector screen. I have been using a 27" Dell monitor hooked up to my surround sound system for a TV since October last year. Its' native resolution is 1920 x 1200 & is 1080p capable. The only digital TV channels we get locally out here in Goondiwindi are SBS & ABC. If the conditions are right we can get Prime digital (7)! I've only been using an el cheapo SD set top box for digital & it's a brilliant clear picture. DVD's look great but it's contrast levels make dark scenes a bit washed. I've watched tennis on Prime & ABC & the cricket on Nine (Analogue!!!!) & I haven't noticed any motion blur once!! By the way I'm not Mr Magoo - honest! The screen has a refresh rate (grey to grey) of 6ms. So why does the F8 or any other high end LCD suffer from these problems?

This Motion Plus issue is obviously more of a problem to some than others. CNET Australia looked pretty down on the set because of it rating it just 6/10. However, I've just found an updated review on CNET Asia & they rate it 8/10 (Excellent). Also, a site like Smarthouse rate it 4.5/5 (9/10)!

One other thing about the CNET Asia site there was an editors note saying that "Samsung is aware of the Motion Plus issue & has plans in the pipeline to rectify the problem with a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, the company is unable to commit to a schedule for its' release." I think they are based in Singapore so we aint the only ones! They must also believe it to be fixable - lets hope!

I do agree with those of you that feel it should be fixed if its' a major advertised feature (which it is) & it doesn't work or in fact makes things worse! If I purchased a top end Dolby True HD Surround sound system that sounded great in stereo but which washed out the speakers when 7.1 was kicked in I wouldn't be to happy with that!

From Myer Parramatta for $2700 (incl delivery) + 100 for the surge protection power board.

Has Samsumg acknowledged 1009 firmware? My TV has 1008.

I just received the beast. OMG its a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Im thinking I should have just gotten the 40".

Oh well - will have to live with it hehehe

No issues so far.....played around with Motion Plus and cant really tell if there is a problem. Whats the best way to check?

My firmware is 1009 btw.

Guest Dragansj

I rang samsung tech support last week and enquired about the 1009 firmware and was told it doesnt exist (funny that). Just thought I would keep people posted :-)

Regards

DSJ

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from day one, never posted before but thought I should add to the conversation.

I ordered my 46"F81 on the 5/12/07 - delivery was suppose to be the start of January. Well that didn't happen, I finally recieved my TV on the 27/02/08 after many phone calls to Harvey Norman. Anyway the 12 week wait was well worth it as the TV is fanastic. Well it was until yesterday when I turned it on. Vertical white lines appear right across the panel on all sources. It is unwatchable. I have found that they only way to get rid of the white lines is to switch the auto motion plus 100hz off. I know there are other issues relating to this feature, but I think this is different.

So so disappointed, 12 week wait only to recieve a lemon.

I am now trying to organise a technican to come and have a look at it. I wonder how long I will have to wait for a replacement.

Lets hope not 12 weeks

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from day one, never posted before but thought I should add to the conversation.

I ordered my 46"F81 on the 5/12/07 - delivery was suppose to be the start of January. Well that didn't happen, I finally recieved my TV on the 27/02/08 after many phone calls to Harvey Norman. Anyway the 12 week wait was well worth it as the TV is fanastic. Well it was until yesterday when I turned it on. Vertical white lines appear right across the panel on all sources. It is unwatchable. I have found that they only way to get rid of the white lines is to switch the auto motion plus 100hz off. I know there are other issues relating to this feature, but I think this is different.

So so disappointed, 12 week wait only to recieve a lemon.

I am now trying to organise a technican to come and have a look at it. I wonder how long I will have to wait for a replacement.

Lets hope not 12 weeks

Hey Jtfra1,

That symptom is not the normal Motion Plus we have been talking about. Sounds like the unit has a fault. But lucky for you is that turning off Motion plus fixes the bug.

This means that assuming they have to exchange the TV, you can demand that you keep your old one until the new one arrives.

When the new one arrives you'll have to turn off the Motion Plus anyway, so overall this hopefully wont cause you much of an issue.

While I'm waiting for my 52F81 to be delivered, I am starting to look at a Blu-Ray player or a very good upscaling DVD player. I dont want a PS3 (I have an xbox 360). What are you guys using to view SD DVD's with success?

Hello all...

Just got myself a 40" M series and I LOVE it, Great picture great everything...

One small issue though...I just tried to hook my laptop up to it via the moniter connections...my laptop recognizes the tv and asks how I want to configure it...but when I switch the tv over to "pc" there is no picture and the tv turns itself off after a few seconds. Now I may be doing something wrong, Im not entirely sure....so some help would be wonderful. It may have been covered in this thread somewhere but im not going back through 92 pages to find it.

Cheers guys

Hello all...

One small issue though...I just tried to hook my laptop up to it via the moniter connections...my laptop recognizes the tv and asks how I want to configure it...but when I switch the tv over to "pc" there is no picture and the tv turns itself off after a few seconds. Now I may be doing something wrong, Im not entirely sure....so some help would be wonderful. It may have been covered in this thread somewhere but im not going back through 92 pages to find it.

Cheers guys

Hi Jarrie,

I used to run my alienware laptop through my sammy 1080p. (now i run my linux on my ps3 to the tv instead).One of the reasons that I got the tv is that my laptop and TV are both the same res natively.

I think what is happening (as all computers do when switching resolutions) is that it tries the new monitor (the TV) and fails. Usually after switching the new res/monitor it will ask if you can read the screen, and if you cant after 15 seconds it goes back to the last working configuration.

There were issues when I first tried too. I had to run the screens in "dual" format. ie... its two seperate screens playing an extended desktop. (not playing the identical thing on both machines, and not having just one screen run at a time). I have an nvidia 7700go in my laptop that lets me do this. Do you know what your card is? can it run at 1920x1080 50hz? I dont know what will happen if you try to use a smaller res than the televisions native res.

For some reason the Sammy does not run at full 1080p when I run the laptop into it. I had to adjust the scale and get a really weird res.

does any of this rambling help?

Sammy 1080p + ps3 + linux (ubuntu) FTW in my opinion. :P

Dan

Edited by danielcjtodd

Picked up my 40 inch F81 today from Bing Lee. Firmware version is 1009.

I have to say that I am more than happy with what I have seen so far.

I have been watching a few HDDVD's and the picture quality is awesome, although the motion plus issue was very apparent while watching HDDVD's even when it was set on low.

Other than that, I am very happy. Especially with the amount of display settings that the F81 provides.

While I'm waiting for my 52F81 to be delivered, I am starting to look at a Blu-Ray player or a very good upscaling DVD player. I dont want a PS3 (I have an xbox 360). What are you guys using to view SD DVD's with success?

I am using Marantz DV6001 which can play super audio CD and SD DVD. I'm quite happy with the picture and sound quality. It's around $600.

Ordered my 46" on the 13/12/07 ... was originally told 13/01/08, finally got it today. The thread made me somewhat nervous about the purchase due to the issues had by posters, some unfortunatly more than others.

Followed the prompts out of the box and damn, its fantastic, the analogue channels are a bit chaddy, but have no use for them anyway, being able to pick out the wrinkles on the news readers face is incredible.

Was looking forward to playing some hddvds with the 360 attachment this afternoon to give it a real run, but the damn thing bricked so that'll be another 2-3 weeks away : /

Its been going since around midday and hasnt skipped a beat, was watching the doco on 10 HD i think about the rollercoasters and even when the camera was in the front seat of the rollercoaster rocketing around it looked absolutly fantastic.

I guess anything would have been an improvement over the old 68cm Wega i had which was about 6 years old, first go at HD and im incredibly happy with the purchase so far.

Cheers

Picked up my 40 inch F81 today from Bing Lee. Firmware version is 1009.

I have to say that I am more than happy with what I have seen so far.

I have been watching a few HDDVD's and the picture quality is awesome, although the motion plus issue was very apparent while watching HDDVD's even when it was set on low.

Other than that, I am very happy. Especially with the amount of display settings that the F81 provides.

Hi Machvayne,

How much did you pay for your 40" ? I got my 40" F81 from Bing Lee early January and paid $2,500 for it. I thought was a good price at the time but after seeing some people getting a 46" for $2,700 I feel a bit unfortunite.

When you get your 52" F8 please post which firmware you have.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone would be able to answer this.

Has anyone connected the TV via optical out for DTV?? Just wondering is it just me, or does the audio sometimes drop out, it's mostly when you switch to the channel, and usually about 2 minutes in aswell... like drop out for 1/2 sec, then.. maybe 10 seconds later again... then its perfect.. just wondering, is this a digital issue? because the optical out via PS3 is fine.

anyone experience the same thing?

EDIT:

Ok, everytime i switch to either analogue or a HDTV channel that runs MPEG audio, there is no drop outs at all. Only when it says Dolby Digital.

Edited by Psygnosis

Hello all...

Cheers guys

U need to find out where to enable it on the laptop. On my Dell laptop (intel graphics), when its already plugged into the TV, I right click on the desktop and choose Graphic Properties. It should come up with something like dual monitor. Just set up how u like it. If u dont have graphics properties, there should be some other software on there that will allow u to do it.

I am using Marantz DV6001 which can play super audio CD and SD DVD. I'm quite happy with the picture and sound quality. It's around $600.

Thanks

I can get the Samsung 1400 Blu-Ray for around same price, but reviews on SD DVD upscaling are not great.

Doesn't the Xbox upscale DVD? In all honesty the only Blu-Ray player I'd buy in the current market would be a Playstation 3, otherwise wait until the profile 2 players are released.