Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I saw these Samsungs at JB Hi Fi yesterday, Chermside (north Brisbane). The sales guy said they had stock out the back, so I'm not sure why there are delays for people to get stock, unless JB's secured them first as they have them advertised in their latest catalogue. With 3 HDMI and HD tuner, and the plasma looks great as well, you can't beat it in the current market, with advertised price alone cheaper than LG and Pana. I don't know how many HDMI inputs the new Pana's will have, but I don't think it will be three (will there?). 2 year warranty on the Samsung as well.

Look for Pana and LG to drop the price on their range in a week or two to compete with the Samsungs!

I wondered what that HDMI-CEC feature was, thanks for clearing that up, very handy.

Does anyone know if Samsung have cleaned up the problems their past plasma models had, ie they were crap (image burn etc).

Brazzwald

Jb Hifi @ Chermside now have the floor stock and 1 out the back. Mine was swapped over from them.

I can't decide between the 42" and the 50", given that both will be bigger than my current 32" LCD. Just a few questions... My viewing distance atm is about 2-2.5metres, I have a SD Mediastar PVR, HDMI supported DVD player and PS2. What would the PQ be like for these devices and given the viewing distance, what would be the best option? Would 50 be too big?

Im lucky to be 2m from the 50inch. Its awesome. Go the Q9 50inch. Specially if its only $800 - $1000 more.

Have you got the Q9 50" Pallamallawa? If so, where from and how much? (If you don't mind me asking) :blink:

Yep the pic quality is awesome.

I use:

PS3 for Blu Ray via HDMI - 1080i setting

Xbox360 Via Component - 720p setting

LG DVD Player Via HDMI on 1080i. I dont put it on 720p as it seems to flicker at the top and bottom of the screen.

I sit around 2m away. I had the Q7 and the Q9 shites all over it. Now im seeing prices of $3800 for the new 46M 1080p, Im sort of wishing i got that. Not sure of how much of a difference it makes having the higher res. I would have had to pay an extra $1000 to get the 46" LCD. For now this is awesome. In 2 yrs time I'll move to a 1080p LCD.

Yep the pic quality is awesome.

I use:

PS3 for Blu Ray via HDMI - 1080i setting

Xbox360 Via Component - 720p setting

LG DVD Player Via HDMI on 1080i. I dont put it on 720p as it seems to flicker at the top and bottom of the screen.

I sit around 2m away. I had the Q7 and the Q9 shites all over it. Now im seeing prices of $3800 for the new 46M 1080p, Im sort of wishing i got that. Not sure of how much of a difference it makes having the higher res. I would have had to pay an extra $1000 to get the 46" LCD. For now this is awesome. In 2 yrs time I'll move to a 1080p LCD.

The price is awesome for what you get. (That's one of my deciding factors towards a purchase of the Q9). I can't justify paying more than 3k for a TV though.. As nice as the 46" LCD model is, its still a bit pricey for me.

BTW: What makes the Q9 "shite" over the Q7 in your opinion?

BTW: What makes the Q9 "shite" over the Q7 in your opinion?

The picture quality. The blacks, whites & colour are great on the Q9 over the Q7. 3 x HDMI is good also.

There are some little issues with this unit though. I narrowed the flicker down to the dynamic setting. Doesnt matter if you have the Dynamic Contrast turned off, low, medium or high. As soon as you select Dynamic from the standard picture mode and when changing the channel, the channel flickers. I also noticed this whilst watching Happy Feet on Bluray. Right at the start of the movie when it say's Happy Feet on the Sun and fly's thru the planets. When it gets to Earth the planet flickers. So i changed the mode to standard and the flicker stopped. I tried it again back to dynamic and it was there. So its definatley the Dynamic option and not the Dynamic Contrast option.

Some times when i change to a HDMI setting the picture wont appear. You need to turn the TV off and on again. Ive tried the HDMI-CEC thing and it finds nothing, even though i have 2 HDMI cables plugged in.

The design of the TV is nice, apart from no handles at the back of the tv when lifting out of the box. The swivel stand is good.

Movie Plus for me looks excellent on the Bluray movies, eveything else it looks crap on and Its turned off.

Still for $2900 its well worth it.

The more and more i read about the 46inch 1080P LCD it makes me want to change to that.

Movie Plus for me looks excellent on the Bluray movies, eveything else it looks crap on and Its turned off.

Still for $2900 its well worth it.

The more and more i read about the 46inch 1080P LCD it makes me want to change to that.

What did you mean by that first line? Do you mean everything apart from blue-ray looks crap? The most important thing for me is DVD's (upscaled via HDMI, not true HD DVD I know - not planning on ps3 for ages...) and watching footy via the HD tuner. Not so worried about the gaming aspect. How do see the performance of the things I am after?

The Tv has this new thing called Movie Plus. It sort of makes the foreground look like is 2 dimentional.

It works on Blu ray, but loos crap on other DVD's. You can turn it off though, So its not a big problem. Dont get me wrong the tv still looks great.

Hi, I am looking for a TV for my bedroom and I will mainly use it for gaming 80-90% of the time. Is this TV suitable for gaming or would it be better to get an LCD? My bedroom is pretty small aswell and I will be sitting about 6 feet (2m) away so will it be too big? It will be a big step up from my 51cm CRT that's for sure!

My budget was only around $1500 but I guess I could stretch it a little bit. What's the cheapest price you have seen it for lately?

Cheers!

The Tv has this new thing called Moie Plus. It sort of makes the foreground look like is 2 dimentional.

It works on Blu ray, but loos crap on other DVD's. You can turn it off though, So its not a big problem. Dont get me wrong the tv still looks great.

Ah ok, sounds like a handy feature for the blu-ray then. What do you think of the PQ with normal dvd's upscaled, and the SD channels? Most importantly, the footy?

Ah ok, sounds like a handy feature for the blu-ray then. What do you think of the PQ with normal dvd's upscaled, and the SD channels? Most importantly, the footy?

Normal DVD's look ok upscaled, its sort like watching a video after you have watched a bluray movie, they look nowhere near as clear as bluray ( which is understandable )

I dont reckon the tuner is as good as the Q7 however. The football looks ok, but still has a fair bit of motion blur pixelation. Remember though Im only 2m from the screen.

I purchased the Ps42q91hdx last week from JB in Lonsdale St and am loving it. My 360 looks great on it. I watch it from about 2.5-3m away and the 42" is a perfect size.

Only thing is I have been having trouble with the built in HD tuner as 50% of the time when i turn it on i get no digital channels and it just says no signals and the other 50% they all appear fine and perfect. Look and its a Bit error of 10 which i have no idea about. Hopefully its an easy fix. It seems if i turn it off for about 2 minutes and turn it back on it will fix itself and get the digital signal again.

Only thing is I have been having trouble with the built in HD tuner as 50% of the time when i turn it on i get no digital channels and it just says no signals and the other 50% they all appear fine and perfect. Look and its a Bit error of 10 which i have no idea about. Hopefully its an easy fix. It seems if i turn it off for about 2 minutes and turn it back on it will fix itself and get the digital signal again.

Does it also have an analouge tuner?

Normal DVD's look ok upscaled, its sort like watching a video after you have watched a bluray movie, they look nowhere near as clear as bluray ( which is understandable )

I dont reckon the tuner is as good as the Q7 however. The football looks ok, but still has a fair bit of motion blur pixelation. Remember though Im only 2m from the screen.

That's kind of worrying.... One thing I was hoping for was very low motion blur. I love watching GP's and the odd footy match. Can anyone compare the Q7/Q9 to the Pana's in terms of motion blur?