Sign in to follow this  
morkli

Samsung 50" Plasma Ps50q91hdx

Since quite a few of us now have this TV or are waiting for delivery, I thought I'd start a new topic.

I've had mine for almost a week and am very happy with it so far, especially the PQ and black levels.

Cheers,

morkli.

Originally I was interested in the 46" Samsung m81 LCD for gaming, htpc, non-reflective screen (more so than a plasma anyway, though I understand with their new screen it may be about the same) etc but now find myself being pulled back to the 50" q9 - it's cheaper (over $1k difference) , bigger, and at 3-3.5 metres viewing distance I understand that difference in resolution will be almost negligble.

Question - have you connected an xbox 360 or a pc to your plasma?

p.s I'm not that big a samsung fan, I just get good deals on their products.

Originally I was interested in the 46" Samsung m81 LCD for gaming, htpc, non-reflective screen (more so than a plasma anyway, though I understand with their new screen it may be about the same) etc but now find myself being pulled back to the 50" q9 - it's cheaper (over $1k difference) , bigger, and at 3-3.5 metres viewing distance I understand that difference in resolution will be almost negligble.

Question - have you connected an xbox 360 or a pc to your plasma?

p.s I'm not that big a samsung fan, I just get good deals on their products.

I don't have an Xbox 360 or PS3, but I have connected my HTPC to the plasma via the PC (VGA) input. Set the resolution to 1360x768 (older ATI graphics card with Catalyst drivers) and the plasma automatically adjusted the image with virtually no overscan on the desktop. You can also adjust picture setting manually for the PC input. Fonts were a bit small from where I sit, so I increased their size and it's quite clear now. Only drawback is that it is running at 60Hz. I will need to try to tweak it to 50Hz if I'm going to view digital TV or DVDs on the PC.

Cheers,

morkli.

I'm really after one of these sets.

What is the best price people have managed.

I'll be holdin out until I can get it for $3000 with 5 years warranty.

I live near newcastle in NSW

Thanks morkli -

One other question... does the stand swivel?

it definatley is a swivel stand, all the new q91 panels have swivel base...

Thanks morkli -

One other question... does the stand swivel?

Yes, left and right by 20 degrees. It's been very handy when I've wanted to plug something into the back inputs.

Cheers.

morkli.

www.goodgearguide.com.au had a review of what was claimed to be the PS50Q91HDX. However, above the text was a picture of the PS50Q7HDX (this has a separate review on the site). I read it last week and it's conclusion was a bit of a mixed bag. Interestingly, the review is no longer available on the site now. I wonder why it was pulled?

Cheers,

morkli.

I bought the Q7 a couple of weeks back and it buzzed, had it replaced and it buzzed as well. The sales manager for the store came out to check the buzzing and he said it was unacceptable. I am now waiting on the replacement Q9!

A swiviling stand! This just gets even better!!!!

Problem is the store wont be getting them in for two weeks. Oh well.

Has the look of the TV changed much from Q7 to Q9. The pictures I have seen there isn't much difference. Or perhaps I was looking at the goodgearguide's incorrect picture.

The only thing that changed by the looks of some pics is the silver part at the bottom is now thinner and the rest seems to be black.

The only thing that changed by the looks of some pics is the silver part at the bottom is now thinner and the rest seems to be black.

That's right. In fact, it is the stand that has changed the most. This stand on the Q9 is quite different to that on the Q7.

Q7 Pic

Q9 Pic

Don't know why Samsung Australia are so slow at updating their web site with newly released products.

Cheers,

morkli.

That's right. In fact, it is the stand that has changed the most. This stand on the Q9 is quite different to that on the Q7.

Q7 Pic

Q9 Pic

Don't know why Samsung Australia are so slow at updating their web site with newly released products.

Cheers,

morkli.

Wow, I love the look of the Q7, the Q9 looks even better. Thanks for the post!

Wow, I love the look of the Q7, the Q9 looks even better. Thanks for the post!

Anybody know the price and availability of this product, and also the 42" version? Can't find anything on google, for AUS sources. Cheers!

Anybody know the price and availability of this product, and also the 42" version? Can't find anything on google, for AUS sources. Cheers!

The NEW Q9 42" plasmas are in stock now, some stores should have them by now. The 50" I was told will be in next week.

The costs are the same as the old Q7 series - no change. Difference is they are not being cleared out and hence there will not be any heavy discounting as seen with the outgoing Q7 model.

Forgot to mention that I live in Hobart and we don't really have much as far as electrical stores go... HN and Myer are just about it. Is there any info on the tv's other than this forum? I'm tossing up between the 50" and 42" - main factor is PQ and price... is it worth spending an extra $1000?

edit: also, how do people think the q9 compares to the q7 series as far as overall performance goes?

Forgot to mention that I live in Hobart and we don't really have much as far as electrical stores go... HN and Myer are just about it. Is there any info on the tv's other than this forum? I'm tossing up between the 50" and 42" - main factor is PQ and price... is it worth spending an extra $1000?

edit: also, how do people think the q9 compares to the q7 series as far as overall performance goes?

In Tassie, I can only suggest that you try to get the best deal out of HN. Maybe they will price match stores from other states? If you have the money to spare, the 50" is worth it over the 42" in my opinion.

As the TV is very new here, there's not much around yet in terms of reviews of the 'aussie' model. You can search for reviews on the overseas model, for example Q96 and Q97 series from the UK.

Cheers,

morkli.

I came across this Web store who is based in Tas - Entique Systems. Mates have bought projectors

from him before and were happy with the service.

http://www.entique.com.au/products.aspx?ca...reens&view=

I see he has the NEW Q9 but needs to update his pictures.

Cheers

Guys it just arrived and i have to go out, but all i wanted to say is WOW.

It is so so so so much clearer.

Looks 3D. I tried Happy Feet Blu ray.

For the price get this TV. I cant believe how clear it looks.

Hey pallamallawa,

What price did you get it for?

How does SD look.

I came across this Web store who is based in Tas - Entique Systems. Mates have bought projectors

from him before and were happy with the service.

http://www.entique.com.au/products.aspx?ca...reens&view=

I see he has the NEW Q9 but needs to update his pictures.

Cheers

Thank you very much for that link. I'll try and get in touch with them and see what they can do. Hope to get it for <$3000 including extended warranty paying cash.

As NetGX asks, how good does the SD look?

Cheers

Yeah that's the price i'm after. I'll be looking to get it for $3000 with extended warranty.

The local good guys have it for $3199 less for cash.

Hey pallamallawa,

What price did you get it for?

How does SD look.

I paid $2900 for the Q7 and they gave a straight swap.

Hi Guys,

Just saw the 42" of the Q9 @ JB and it looked fantastic against the PV600A and the Pioneer. Anyone bought the 42" / 50" in Melbourne, and if so what was your best price? I'm looking at getting the 50" within the next 3 or so months.