Jb-hifi's $999 Sd Plasma!

Well we went and got it today for $1000 with 2 years warranty. Picking it up on Tuesday from Chatswood JB-Hifi.

pagara how did you get the extra 1 year warranty using your mastercard? When we asked them about this they said it depends on Mastercard.. ?

How do you guys know it is the 420PH/2 ? Is it written on the box or written on the TV itself? I want to check about this before we take it out the store on Tuesday.

Well on the TV box it says QV420PH, but the TV itself and the manual have QV420PH/2 written on it. Dont know what's up with that?!?

Edited by groggit

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably going to buy a STB/PVR. Anything good for around $500?

Plasma's tend to benefit from HD signals even if only displaying SD resolutions.

The LG HD pvr's can be had for around the $630 mark (maybe less) if you can stretch that far.

You can get SD ones on Ebay for @$200 on ebay, or a run out topfield sd $400+.

Either way, make sure you get a dual tuner type, so that you are able to record one channel and still watch another.

Fusion.

Plasma's tend to benefit from HD signals even if only displaying SD resolutions.

The LG HD pvr's can be had for around the $630 mark (maybe less) if you can stretch that far.

You can get SD ones on Ebay for @$200 on ebay, or a run out topfield sd $400+.

Either way, make sure you get a dual tuner type, so that you are able to record one channel and still watch another.

Fusion.

Cool, im going to JB in a few mins, so i'll see what price they have them for.

Well we went and got it today for $1000 with 2 years warranty. Picking it up on Tuesday from Chatswood JB-Hifi.

pagara how did you get the extra 1 year warranty using your mastercard? When we asked them about this they said it depends on Mastercard.. ?

How do you guys know it is the 420PH/2 ? Is it written on the box or written on the TV itself? I want to check about this before we take it out the store on Tuesday.

If you have a gold mastercard it covers 1 year extra "extended warranty" on all electronic purchases.

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/creditcards/gold.asp (I don't have shares in CBA (well I do but I reckon it applies to all mastercard gold cards).

The 420PH/2 is on the label on the TV...

EDIT: It's on the back of the TV...

Edited by pagara

Ok went to pickup the TV and they had a new Soniq on display. Its a HD model with 1024x768 resolution so 720P and 1080i. The sticker price is $1499 but we got it for $1280 with 2 years warranty. Sorry dont know the model number its next door at brothers place. I am setting it up for him tonight and will try my PS3 on it and let you guys know how it runs and looks.

The actual plasma itself looks different, very shiny like a piano black. Good price for a HD TV :)

edit: Oh yeah and the model is not even on Soniqs website yet. JB-HFI had just got them on display yesterday

Edited by slitko

Ok went to pickup the TV and they had a new Soniq on display. Its a HD model with 1024x768 resolution so 720P and 1080i. The sticker price is $1499 but we got it for $1280 with 2 years warranty. Sorry dont know the model number its next door at brothers place. I am setting it up for him tonight and will try my PS3 on it and let you guys know how it runs and looks.

The actual plasma itself looks different, very shiny like a piano black. Good price for a HD TV :)

edit: Oh yeah and the model is not even on Soniqs website yet. JB-HFI had just got them on display yesterday

nice, thats sounding tempting. Even though its only 280 more, 999 is still a stretch as it is.

I like the sounds of piano black :)

Got a photo to show?:)

Will take pics tomorrow. It looks nice. The plasma has a HD Tuner built in even. The panel is an LG again. Its based on this panel here http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv..._42pc1dg.jhtml#

Very nice screen :)

Sounds like a good deal..

I was at the 1000 border as well (self-imposed limit) as we didn't want to start spending thousands on a TV again...

Will have a look at the soniq in JB Hifi over the weekend if they have one in Warringah Mall?

Just went to macquarie centre and they hadnt heard of the 42" HD soniq plasma.

nor was i able to get him down on the SD panel with 2yr warranty :(

Yeah the Macquarie store was closer to me but they were **** sales staff there. So I went to Chatswood, all good blokes there.

Will get pics soon. Waiting for brother to get home :blush:

Yeah the Macquarie store was closer to me but they were **** sales staff there. So I went to Chatswood, all good blokes there.

Will get pics soon. Waiting for brother to get home :blush:

any pics yet?

Hhehe i dont know if the chatswood guys are really better? I found they to be alot more pushy.. where as the macq centre guys are abit more laid back and willing to negotiate. But who knows:)

I purchased a QV420PH/2 a few weekends ago and am pleased with it so far - a widescreen Rugby World Cup beckons :-).

Reasons for SD purchase: It'll only be fed DVDs/Divx and Foxtel for the foreseeable future so the HD thing is of no concern to me. Didn't bother with any extended warranties as I reckon if it's working in a year's time it'll probably soldier on for a while after that. Even if it does die after 1.001 years the Pioneer Kuro I currently desire will have easily come down by $999 by then so I doubt I'll be any worse off overall.

As mentioned the PQ seems okay at the mo - I find the 'Standard' settings best at the moment with the DVD and Foxtel on Component connections. I have attempted to improve the PQ by manually changing settings but can't find a good compromise - what are other owners doing? I tried to start an owners' thread but the forum won't let me for some reason.

Would also be interested to know if anyone has experienced improved pic + sound via HDMI and whether feeding it an HD signal to scale down has any benefits?

i find PQ was terrible on these, details were missing, very bad black levels, kinder have faded look. i tried playing around with colour settings didnt do much just makes it too saturated. probaly good in a very dark room or night time viewing.

Guest thechosen1

SD

I've been looking at getting a cheap plasma for when i move into my new home in a few months time, and originally i was looking at the SD 999 panel at JB but i just saw this one today and liked the look of it. Its a QASA Soniq model. and the model number is QSP420T. Looks like a great deal if you can get it for around 1300 with a 2 yr warranty. any more info slitko? or anyone else that has this plasma?

A very true statement. Must be a lot of people sitting at home watching their cheap LCD TV and in denial it's actually producing a worse picture for DVDs than their old CRT.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here - the worst thing with the present TV market, IMHO, is there's no "middle ground" to find a decent picture quality in a television.

Maybe (and a big maybe), cheaper plasmas provide a more reasonable option for people.

When DVD entered the market, before thin flat TV panels, people could lash out $1000 on a CRT and expect a reasonable quality picture for their dollars.

Now with the advent of the new TV panels, you either have to spend upwards of $4000 for something reasonable in a plasma or LCD, or the alternative is to hunt around for an almost extinct widescreen CRT. Let's be honest - a reasonable 76cm WS CRT for $1K is going to show a DVD movie much better than a cheap LCD panel for the same price, and I dare to say, just about any LCD under $2K!

But as we know, people see the disadvantages of a large widescreen CRT in their bulk and screen size limit - and they're just plain un-sexy! (but the picture quality is still there). So people want, or are coerced into, the nice thin panel instead. Regardless of PQ.

Despite what most that frequent this forum think, the average middle class family can only afford a $1000 at best, and those families make up the majority of the consumer market.

At Westfield recently, I saw quite a few people snapping up an AWA LCD TV that was on special for $999. Suckers all of them. Unless they intended it for home PC use, they all think they're getting an upgrade in picture quality and DVD viewing I'm sure.

However there's just no reasonable alternatives these days for a $1000 TV.

Maybe the options are getting better with cheaper plasmas, I dunno. But in my opinion you either spend a massive amount of hard earned bucks, or you pay less to get lemons, much different to 10 years ago.

I'd hazard a guess there must a growing number of dissatisfied flat panel TV owners at present. Then again, if you're happy with the picture then that's all that matters.

I'm in this boat exactly.. I need a second TV and I just wont fork out for a top of the line flat panel.

Damn it, I want a CRT... and a good one at that!

Where on earth can I find a decent big screen CRT in Sydney?? Can anyone help?

Pleeeeaaasssee???!!!

SD

I've been looking at getting a cheap plasma for when i move into my new home in a few months time, and originally i was looking at the SD 999 panel at JB but i just saw this one today and liked the look of it. Its a QASA Soniq model. and the model number is QSP420T. Looks like a great deal if you can get it for around 1300 with a 2 yr warranty. any more info slitko? or anyone else that has this plasma?

Hmmm.. thats not the QASA 42" LCD on the website is it ?

(LCD not Plasma)

Guest thechosen1
Hmmm.. thats not the QASA 42" LCD on the website is it ?

(LCD not Plasma)

Nope, its a new Plasma model. they had the LCD going about a month ago for about $2200. Might wait and see what happens, in a couple of months time they might loose the SD panel and sell the HD one at a cheaper price.

I just got back from looking at the new Soniq QSP420T 42" Plasma .. which is on sale at JB (Gold Coast) for $1398 with 1yr warranty and integrated HD Tuner.

Next to it was an LG 42" Plasma and Panasonic 42" Plasma and it was noticeably worse picture than both -- more noise, less contrast, duller colours, more blurry. But in saying that I didn't fiddle with the controls and it was a very bright environment. It has a very reflective screen so that reflections are easily viewable too.

I'm gunna go in again on the weekend and fiddle with the controls to try and get the picture better.. do plasmas normally come with any sharpness controls? It's definately lacking in that respect.

Edited by corellian