Sign in to follow this  
Hussla

Jb-hifi's $999 Sd Plasma!

Was connected to one signal going to many other TV panels in store?

It was connected to a dvd player (component)by itself well away from all other displays.

I realise the pic would probably be better at home but i just dont think i would of been happy (imo) if i had bought it as my new bedroom tv even at that great price.Mind you i didnt think i would be happy with a 76cm size wise so its a bit of a compromise either way i guess. :blink:

I saw this panel the other day playing an animated movie (which should look great) but it was shocking all the edges and even straight lines were jagged and very blocky.

This is quite the opposite of what I recently saw in the Melb CBD store running 7's HD loop with many other plasmas. The Hitachi placed above it had noticeable flicker especially in the green/forest scenes and was the worst in this 'store setup contest', and the Soniq held it's own with just about everything else, from a 3 metre viewing distance.

Well I should add, one of my contacts at JB Hifi warned me to stay away from the $999 Soniq, reckons they are total rubbish!

And yes I am the one who started this thread, but I should just add this.

Well I should add, one of my contacts at JB Hifi warned me to stay away from the $999 Soniq, reckons they are total rubbish!

would have to agree,its really worth spending/saving up the extra 400-500 and getting the panasonic i think.

would have to agree,its really worth spending/saving up the extra 400-500 and getting the panasonic i think.

Considering ive seen the Panasonic 42" HD (non-integrated) ticketed around $1800 your better off saving your pennies and getting something of higher build quality and HD rather than Soniq ****.

Here we go again, comparing stuff with other gear 50%-90% more expensive... :blink: Me too. Guilty as charged.

Just remember that some people have struggled to find $999, but just HAVE TO HAVE a big(ish) flat panel, and saving another 50%-90% is just not going to happen...

Of course, people who spend the bare minimum and settle for a compromise aren't respected much around here.

I also couldn't give a rat's crack for what JBHiFi staff says. They'd much rather turn you off this panel and have you double your money in a flash...

...as would a HN staffer :D

If the $999 soniq has similar performance to the one I bought for $2k 18mths ago, it is great value for money.

The main con is that they require a good picture quality input to make them perform well, and can look bad with a poor quality picture - so, make sure you have an hd box!

I have not seen any SD panels which significantly out perform the soniq, certainly no where near enough to justify spending near the HD panel prices asked for them - which is where you get major improvement.

So if you budget is @$1k, the soniq is probably fine, if $1.5k (50% more), don't waste your money on an SD panel, go for a HD plasma - and don't even bother with LCD if you like fast action and/or movies.

Fusion

If the $999 soniq has similar performance to the one I bought for $2k 18mths ago, it is great value for money.

It is, and, yes, it is.

Congrats on your purchase 18 months ago. Mine has also been great since purchase in Oct 05 (second shipment). There's an old post somewhere here with a link to a pic of my lounge. Lots has changed in that time, put the panel hasn't...

It is, and, yes, it is.

Congrats on your purchase 18 months ago. Mine has also been great since purchase in Oct 05 (second shipment). There's an old post somewhere here with a link to a pic of my lounge. Lots has changed in that time, put the panel hasn't...

Actually....... mine has went to my parents, and was replaced with a HD philips plasma 6 months ago.

While$1k is great for the soniq, $2k was also a bargain for the philips.

Glad to hear your Soniq is going strong too.

cheers

Fusion

This is quite the opposite of what I recently saw in the Melb CBD store running 7's HD loop with many other plasmas. The Hitachi placed above it had noticeable flicker especially in the green/forest scenes and was the worst in this 'store setup contest', and the Soniq held it's own with just about everything else, from a 3 metre viewing distance.

Was this JB Hi Fi on Lonsdale Street? I went there last week and noticed that the 42" Hitachi HD looked really bad too. I found the samsung 42" HD looked the best. Even the soniq kicked the Hitachi's butt.

When asked, the salesman even said it came down to a poor in store set up.

Was this JB Hi Fi on Lonsdale Street? I went there last week and noticed that the 42" Hitachi HD looked really bad too. I found the samsung 42" HD looked the best. Even the soniq kicked the Hitachi's butt.

When asked, the salesman even said it came down to a poor in store set up.

Yeah, it was Lonsdale St. Presumably the wall is all fed from the same average source, but HD loop nonetheless, so consider that the Soniq is the only SD panel on that wall (when I saw it) and how good it looks in that company.

Hi, so does this $999 unit include a digital SD tuner? And outputs to record to a DVD recorder?

Is it likely to stay in stock, or is it a limited time offer?

Ta, Jono.

Hi, so does this $999 unit include a digital SD tuner?[b]NO[/b]outputs to record to a DVD recorderYES BUT ONLY ANALOGEIs it likely to stay in stock, or is it a limited time offer [b]PROBABLY TILL STOCK RUN OUT[/b] Ta, Jono.

Well I was one of those poor people that decided to waste $999 on the JB Hi-fi Soniq. And I have to say I'm very happy with it. A little fiddling around with the contrast etc to get the colouring right (default setting didn't look quite right), but as far as I'm concerned it is a nice buy (for the time being). The setup in the store was via component cabling straight from a standard DVD player and it was fine as far as I was concerned. TV also looks pretty good through my Strong SD STB.

I've been looking at some 32in LCD panels for about the last 6 - 12 months as the wife has gone through a minimalistic phase and basically everything in the lounge had to go, including the bulky CRT TV. I'm an avid AFL follower and I have not found a mid range LCD TV that shows AFL (sport in general) anywhere near as good as this yum-cha plasma. It's not perfect, but it certainly beats any low/mid priced LCD I've seen with 4-8ms rate. When LCDs get down to 2ms, then AFL might be worth watching on them.

The only problem I have with it is a slight whitenoise from the speakers when the volume is low.

For an outlay of 1k, just think of what you would have got about 6 years ago when Plasmas were $20,000 and Star Wars stuff. In those days a Sony 68cm stereo television (CRT of course) was about $1300 so your k would not even have gone that far. Four years ago I won a 51cm Sony trinitron in a draw at the RSL, which is still in the bedroom in excellent condition, (the TV not the RSL!)_and I checked a few electrical stores to find out what dollar value. They were priced up to $400 for a type of CRT set that can be picked up for around $100 today.

Sure your $999 plasma doesn't compare to your $4400 true HD Bravia set, but totally blitzes what you could get for the money just a few short years ago.

And before anyone stresses how wonderful the picture is on CRTs, the truth is that unless you have a Lowe top of the range TV or a Philips Pixel Plus or other really deluxe CRT the truth is that they might have quite nice colour reproduction but basically the picture is grainy, particularly in the case of Trinitrons with their vertical black banding, and when you are used to looking at rock solid plasma or LCD screens, all you can see on most CRTs is annoying flicker.

$999 very well spent.

I too have an interest in a sub standard plasma tv like the Sonique with its LG panel. But after checking the Panasonic Viera, I think $1500 might be worth the extra image quality. I have seen the LG and Viera side by side in various stores and always notice the difference. What facsinates me is that the HD Viera costs maybe $300 more but SD images look worse. I understand this is a consequence of upscaling. So I now wonder how all these so called HD TV's can be regarded as a better choice. There does not seem to be any standerd to abide by. The HD natve resolutions are ridiculous in variation and the commercial stations follow two different standards for HD. Nine and Ten are different to the others. To me this means scaling to match native resolution and I don't accept any scaling technology can work perfectly. I was not very impressed by the Panasonic Viera HD and thought the SD Viera might be the safe ground for the time being (good SD picture). Hope some people might have some useful thoughts about HD and where we are at!

I too have an interest in a sub standard plasma tv like the Sonique with its LG panel. But after checking the Panasonic Viera, I think $1500 might be worth the extra image quality. I have seen the LG and Viera side by side in various stores and always notice the difference. What facsinates me is that the HD Viera costs maybe $300 more but SD images look worse. I understand this is a consequence of upscaling. So I now wonder how all these so called HD TV's can be regarded as a better choice. There does not seem to be any standerd to abide by. The HD natve resolutions are ridiculous in variation and the commercial stations follow two different standards for HD. Nine and Ten are different to the others. To me this means scaling to match native resolution and I don't accept any scaling technology can work perfectly. I was not very impressed by the Panasonic Viera HD and thought the SD Viera might be the safe ground for the time being (good SD picture). Hope some people might have some useful thoughts about HD and where we are at!

Comparing Plama's side by side is always a bit dangerous as it doesn't reflect the real world (unless you are planning to buy 2 plasma's and put them both up on the lounge room wall).

Also, Plasma's are often set-up appallingly in shops.

BTW , the Panasonic Viera HD has nearly the best PQ of all Plasma's going around at the moment - thereby proving part of my point.

I think 99.9% of normal people would be happy with the Sonique (the other 0.1% have over 1,000 posts on this forum !).

As I've said before....SD Plasma is good quality for DVD/FTA, and a good choice for Foxtel.

From my POV{let's discount the appalling content on FTA}, I think the way in which Australia has implemented HDTV is close to a joke....that said, the good quality 720p and 1080i broadcasts are quite impressive.

I'm not really a TV person, most of my time is spent on the PC in some form or another....and quite frankly, I think most TV shows/films are boring, unimaginative and infantile....but I'm waiting on good quality 1080 PC LCD's and also two new killer LCD's from Samsung and Sharp{100 000:1 and 1 000 000:1 CR}.

On the proviso they get the rest of the TV right, these should be "the HDTV's"...ie, nothing will have their PQ, nor will anything be able to compete with their versatility and hopefully, reliability.

Cost is always a factor, but IMO, the discerning viewer might be best of waiting until these new killer LCD's hit the market and settle in price....case in point, Philips award winning 42in LCD opened at $6 mid 2006, but is now $3k.

On top of all this, there are all sorts of HQ traditional LCD's on the verge of release, not to mention a number of 1080 Plasma's.....but IMO, 2008 will be the true year of the HDTV.

You know what, the only real problem with the latest HDTV's is how they handle Foxtel and PS3/360....they do everything else okay-excellent.

....yep it's all in the screens scaler...that's where they can save money but then again that's still a lot of screen for $1k...mmm even 1 year ago they were a lot more expensive

:blink: ................--ThisIsAllToMuchFun--............. :D

....yep it's all in the screens scaler...that's where they can save money but then again that's still a lot of screen for $1k...mmm even 1 year ago they were a lot more expensive

:blink: ................--ThisIsAllToMuchFun--............. :D

I'm not knocking this particular Plasma.....but I'm in favour of spilling the beans on HDTV/new gen TV's and letting the consumer make a decision on whether it's worth their money.

If you went into JB's and asked them a series of questions, God only knows what their replies would be....cause they're :P:P

In July I've got about a grand arriving in my bank account that will be pure 'spendies' money and I'm going to get a tv for the bedroom to replace the old CRT. Now, given that I have a reasonably good LCD in the lounge, this TV doesn't have to be a 60inch pana with full theatre sound etc. It's just the tv you watch when the mrs is watching the swimming and you want to watch a DVD.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a sub 1k plasma because the alternative at that price is a 26 inch LCD that won't really give me much more than the current 21 inch CRT. Sure it won't be the Bravia full HD deal but for that money it's a good bang for the buck, for something that gets switched on maybe 3 times a week. I currently have a 2yo top of the range Sony DVD player that got replaced by an upscaler Philips recently so that's sitting doing nothing. I also have a 4yo Sharp 5.1 sitting in a cupboard. Hook up a 40 buck SD STB from Strathfield and bob's yer uncle.

:blink::D

I take it that's the bang I get for my buck!!

:blink::D

I take it that's the bang I get for my buck!!

I'm just a little worried that plasma is inherently unreliable......but at least if you go ahead with it and it only last 18mths, you haven't blown too much dosh.

Let us know how it goes anyway.

Yup I take your point. As you can see there's a very frantic thread going on that subject right now in the HD displays forum: Subject - "three broken plasmas". However the discussion is around whether the unreliability is due to the electronics as opposed to the panel itself.

Plasma displays (monochrome) actually came out before LCDs at the dawn of portable computers. However LCD tvs have been around far far longer than plasma TVs. I remember when EXPO was on there was a display of LCD colour Tvs (very small) that were basically the same screen as today although probably passive matrix whatever.