Sign in to follow this  
Hussla

Jb-hifi's $999 Sd Plasma!

VGA isn't lower quality than DVI. You can still output Full HD 1920 X 1080 resolution from a VGA port. It's just that DVI is newer and is usable with HDMI so people provide that with their graphics cards.

Mmm, i never knew this, how unbelievable that thats the case i reckon. thank-you.

I had a similar audio mess when I tried to figure out which one of the ports on the back on my PC could go into the little 2.0 speakers that came with it. That's because the PC came with 5.1 output by default. Some trial and error worked it out. To test it out, I'd suggest the same thing - connect a headphone to the device and whichever gives sound to the headphone will work (or should work in theory) to the Soniq TV.

Greatness ;-)

HDMI - DVI to HDMI connector for audio but where does the sound go ? Nowhere.

Sound & video are sent on the same connection on HDMI, hence you can't hear anything.

They dont say anything in the manual so it is a little deceptive. Cheers for the clarification.

Hi Guys

New to the forum

Well i went ahead and broght this TV, mine is the $799 42" QV420PH/3, not sure what the /3 is about, and so far.

1) For the price, it looks fantastic, good image, eaven though it is an SD panel. The image is sharp, crisp and colours look unreal, eanev on base settings.

2) There is sooo many inputs, i have, 1 Svideo, 1 RCA, 2 YRGB, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA and some others that i have not worked out yet.

3) The panel looks good, he detachable speakers sound OK, but use your own if you have them.

4) using the HD set top box on 1080i makes teh picture look 10 times better, no idea why.

The bad.

1) DAM I WISH I GOT THE HD version now. LOL. I mean the picture looks good/great but on PS2 the lack of resolution really shows through. I'm looking at swaping mine for the soniq 1080i HD LCD for $1499.

2) I played PS2 GT4 for about 15 minuts, and there was some burn in, the screen in 2 days old so perhaps not a wise move. But i white screened it and all good now. The other issue is that on 16:9 GT4 objects in the distance look CRAP. but that could be settings to

Over all i am happy that a $799 screen can look so good, but now that i am hooked, i need HD eaven though i don't own anything that works on HD.

I'll keep you up to date

PS: Can anyone recomend the best settigns for best performance to minimise the lack of resolution

Thanks for posting this review. I am considering buying one of these myself, but I am a bit worried about a couple of things:

1. does it look really ugly with ps2 games? My viewing distance is 2.5m, does it look ok at that distance?

2. Is the sound really bad or is it reasonable? The 32 inch Soniq has really atrocious sound and no audio outs and I don't have an amp.

Also I think the "/3" means it is the third revision of the model as there is a qv420ph and qv420ph/2 listed on the soniq website.

*deleted accidental double post*

Edited by pneu

Thanks for posting this review. I am considering buying one of these myself, but I am a bit worried about a couple of things:

1. does it look really ugly with ps2 games? My viewing distance is 2.5m, does it look ok at that distance?

2. Is the sound really bad or is it reasonable? The 32 inch Soniq has really atrocious sound and no audio outs and I don't have an amp.

Also I think the "/3" means it is the third revision of the model as there is a qv420ph and qv420ph/2 listed on the soniq website.

Don't know why you want to buy this one. The review clearly mentions image retention, which means future burn-in. It's only SD not HD so even if you were to connect a HD set top box, you won't get the resolution you desire.

The 32" Soniq is an atrocious TV - period. Do you want an atrocious Soniq or want to upgrade ?

I'd suggest if you want a plasma, upgrade your budget to around $1100 and pick up a 42" Panasonic PX-7A. It's miles ahead of the Soniq and is HD, so it's a logical step up.

Don't know why you want to buy this one.

Cause of the price - why else? :D

All I'm after is a decent viewing experience at 2.5m, for around $500.

But $1100 for the Panasonic is really tempting, will have to see if I can stretch my budget. Thanks for the heads up.

Kulfi, I suggest you go and see one of these screens in real life. I Spent all weekend looking at panels, including some Samsung ones, I must say that the SONIQ is on par if not better in many ways to a $1400 screen. The Samsung panels look a whole heap more pixilated then my screen on exactly the same setting connected to a similar set top box.

BUT anyway, 2 weeks on and here we go.

1) The screen is getting better by the day, I have probably only had about 80 hours up on it and all the coulours are much more vibrant now, the contrast work great, although some TV shows seam to have blown out whites but it's not the screen as my standard telly shows the same symptoms on some shows, just when you have a 42" screen its a bit more obvious. The screen looks much better then I originally thought and VERY happy with it.

2) No burn in to date to note. I mentioned that in the first days I noticed some burn in, I think it was more or less due to the screen being new, I have played countless hours of GT3 and no issues, if anything things like the lap counter seam to show a ghosting after 4 or so hour’s, but it disappears after I restart the screen, but I have not actually noticed any permanent burn in, more like temporary image retention.

3) I have not had a chance to hook up all of the components through HDMI, but I have noticed that the screen looks a lot better with the set top box running at 1080i and then down scalling to the screen resolution. I know that the screen in suppose to be SD, but anything that is available in HD, looks **** hot compared to anything showing SD, so a bit skeptical to see if this is actually an SD panel.

Overall I could not be happier, after some setting changes in regards to the colors etc, the screen looks better then ever, and I LOVE watching TV now, something I hardly did in the past. I know that there are better screens out there, or so I have been told here online, but to put in perspective it's the bet $799 I ever spent and I would recommend these screens to anyone.

to answer pneos questions:

1) Games look great, it's just with things like GT3 which is fast and moving game, being apparently and SD panel, thing in the center view, in the FAR distance, looks blurred as they are so small that the screen only has so many pixels to make up the object and they appear to look a bit blurred and unclear. I found that running the PS2 on 4:3 and the TV the same, vastly improved the quality. All other games I have, look good but I have not had a chance to test any other action games.

DVD quality is great but you do need to be about 2.5 meter away from the screen as it's simply to big to see everything to close.

2) I am using the front speakers as the output connected to my surround sound, overall they sound good but not as good at the Phillips speakers I used, so I am actually going to put the Philips speakers into the SONIQ surrounds, as they are about the same size internally. I have never heard the inbuilt speakers through the inbuilt TV amp so I can't comment.

Edited by WogsRus

Kulfi, I suggest you go and see one of these screens in real life. I Spent all weekend looking at panels, including some Samsung ones, I must say that the SONIQ is on par if not better in many ways to a $1400 screen. The Samsung panels look a whole heap more pixilated then my screen on exactly the same setting connected to a similar set top box.

If you're happy, I'm happy.

However, I can't agree with you on the PQ. I have seen these screens in JB in real life. They are quite good value for the money but cannot compete with a $1400 screen ($1100 after mild haggling). I don't know how you can say that all screens were on the same setting and connected to a similar set top box. The others like Samsung or Panasonic have built-in tuners so it can't be a set top box.

JB avoids keeping the Soniq in the same line as the other models. I've always seen the Soniq kept separate (this was the situation in JB Hornsby, Bondi, Brookvale, North Ryde, Miranda and Chatswood). They mostly play cartoon DVDs on the Soniq and keep the HD loop on the big brands. To say that the image looked pixellated is obvious because the default connection to the other TVs was split from one feed and via not-so-good cables. Besides that, they were all in Store Mode (or what some users call "Torch Mode") and just keeping the images going. Some JB's have a demo DVD with images of summer (not sure if the DVD is from Sony or Pioneer) and to see PQ, check out the hot bikini chicks in it !

The HD PQ of the big brands is a cut above the Soniq but I'll admit it costs more to buy. $1100 is more than $800, so for those on this thread who can spare the extra bob, I'd say go for the big brand.

what i meant is that the set top box had samme settings to mine and i set the screens to refelct the settings i had at home on mine.

Like you say though, if you have the money and happy to spend it go for what you like, but seing as i only use the screen for a TV, i'm loving it.

Anyone know how to access the service menu in Soniq QV420PH/2 set. I need to do some adjustments when in VGA mode. Getting overscan on the edges. I have not been able to access it with the info/menu/mute/power combo.

i brought a QV321LH (32" LCD) about 4 weeks ago. very happy with it.

last night went to JB looking for a TV for my bedroom when i saw the QV420PH/2 (42" plasma) for $799. haggled down to $779, got home and moved the 32" out of the lounge and into my bedroom.

inital impression is good - cant wait to get foxtel HD on it

last night went to JB looking for a TV for my bedroom when i saw the QV420PH/2 (42" plasma) for $799. haggled down to $779, got home and moved the 32" out of the lounge and into my bedroom.

inital impression is good - cant wait to get foxtel HD on it

I am still trying to find transport so I can get mine repaired for the second time. My mate has one and it is a POS as well. He just puts up with it's problems. But for sub $1000 you get what you pay for. HD does not look any better than SD on it so don't get excited about that.

Bad decision and on two occassions. Very interesting.

You must've spent at least $1500 on those two pieces of junk. Another $400 and you could've bought a Panasonic 42" PX7A and a Samsung 32" R81, both with built-in HD tuners and PQ miles ahead of the Soniq. Now we know why JB's balance sheet looks so good .....

Bad decision and on two occassions. Very interesting.

You must've spent at least $1500 on those two pieces of junk. Another $400 and you could've bought a Panasonic 42" PX7A and a Samsung 32" R81, both with built-in HD tuners and PQ miles ahead of the Soniq. Now we know why JB's balance sheet looks so good .....

It's not cool to bag someone man :rolleyes:

Cool is for Kids, Reality is for Adults

You're right. I should have been more controlled in my reaction.

I guess it just comes out of seeing people buy Soniq or some other such items for prices close to known brands. I've tried to tell them to make a minor investment on the better item but to no avail. Maybe I should stop bothering about other people's welfare and concentrate on my own.

I'm not being elitist. I have a few no-name items in my house too, like the Aldi 250GB PVR and the MTV DVD player but considering the peanuts I paid for them ($149 and $39 respectively), I couldn't care less. I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to pay $350 or $99 to Aldi/Coles for those items.

As an example, Aldi has a special offer this week. He's asking for $399 for a 3-in-1 unit, SD set top box, 400GB PVR and DVD recorder. Would I say "Yes" to this one ? No way. Myer is clearing out Samsung 3-in-1 (SD set top box, 160GB PVR and DVD recorder) for a marked price of $399 (pre-negotiation) and I would sacrifice the extra GBs of disk space for the better brand. The hard drive is replaceable anyway.

You're right. I should have been more controlled in my reaction.

I guess it just comes out of seeing people buy Soniq or some other such items for prices close to known brands. I've tried to tell them to make a minor investment on the better item but to no avail. Maybe I should stop bothering about other people's welfare and concentrate on my own.

I'm not being elitist. I have a few no-name items in my house too, like the Aldi 250GB PVR and the MTV DVD player but considering the peanuts I paid for them ($149 and $39 respectively), I couldn't care less. I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to pay $350 or $99 to Aldi/Coles for those items.

As an example, Aldi has a special offer this week. He's asking for $399 for a 3-in-1 unit, SD set top box, 400GB PVR and DVD recorder. Would I say "Yes" to this one ? No way. Myer is clearing out Samsung 3-in-1 (SD set top box, 160GB PVR and DVD recorder) for a marked price of $399 (pre-negotiation) and I would sacrifice the extra GBs of disk space for the better brand. The hard drive is replaceable anyway.

Yep...that's sound advice. I've often been tempted (and sometimes succumbed) by the cheaper brands and outrageous specials offered by electronics retailers for their home brand or no-name brand stuff. For the most part any such purchase I made ended up with heartbreak over a piece of faulty or DOA crap. The thing with the no-names is the "pot-luck effect" is much higher.

Last time I checked lcd's don't use phospher so it isn't possible for them to get burn in.

You'd be wrong though, I managed to burn in a 17" LCD at work accidentally a couple of months ago, same image all weekend long :/

You'd be wrong though, I managed to burn in a 17" LCD at work accidentally a couple of months ago, same image all weekend long :/

I also thought you couldn't get burn in on LCD's but it definitely is possible. The LCD's I've seen with burn in have done a few years of service with the same image, wouldn't have thought a weekend's worth would worry the LCD too much though.

VGA isn't lower quality than DVI. You can still output Full HD 1920 X 1080 resolution from a VGA port. It's just that DVI is newer and is usable with HDMI so people provide that with their graphics cards.

I had a similar audio mess when I tried to figure out which one of the ports on the back on my PC could go into the little 2.0 speakers that came with it. That's because the PC came with 5.1 output by default. Some trial and error worked it out. To test it out, I'd suggest the same thing - connect a headphone to the device and whichever gives sound to the headphone will work (or should work in theory) to the Soniq TV.

It's like this -

AV - Yelllow pin for video, Red & White for sound

Component - RGB pins for video, Red & White for sound

VGA - VGA connector from PC or DVI-to-VGA for video & 3.5 mm jack to PC-audio In for sound

HDMI - DVI to HDMI connector for audio but where does the sound go ? Nowhere.

Sound & video are sent on the same connection on HDMI, hence you can't hear anything.

How can you say VGA isn't lower quality than DVI or HDMI.

DVI and HDMI are digital signals and have more bandwidth than VGA although you may be able to acheive the same resoulution over VGA you will notice a difference in PQ.