Jb-hifi's $999 Sd Plasma!

Well, i just hooked up the soniq, and it looks flawless.

That's great , I'm sure if you compared it side by side against a Pioneer or Fujitsu in the store then the PQ wouldn't be as good - but in your house with no direct comparison it wll be great.

I am so tempted to get one of these for the pool room - but that would make 3 Plasma's and one LCD televison in the house which is probably a bit excessive.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great , I'm sure if you compared it side by side against a Pioneer or Fujitsu in the store then the PQ wouldn't be as good - but in your house with no direct comparison it wll be great.

I am so tempted to get one of these for the pool room - but that would make 3 Plasma's and one LCD televison in the house which is probably a bit excessive.

Well that was my first post, when comparing them at jb with all the rest, i couldnt notice the difference, now at home, its just even better. The only panels IMHO that beat it by a long shot was the 1080p ones running blu-ray content.

Sure a 3k 780p panel might look slightly better, but it doesn't justify the 2k extra price tag IMO.

^^^

I havn't connected the dvd player yet, i got the component cables but they are only for video, need to buy the audio cables, probably connect them through RCA as my dvd player doesnt have HDMI

I am getting a slight flicker through component on the foxtel, I tried connecting the foxtel through normal AV and it has no flicker at all, but a slightly lower pic quality. Anyone know why this would be happening? could it be the cables?

Grab a s-video cable.....whilst there's no doubt that component is a higher grade/more bw, s-video normally works well for Foxtel.

Kmart out my way were sold out @$999.

Well that was my first post, when comparing them at jb with all the rest, i couldnt notice the difference, now at home, its just even better. The only panels IMHO that beat it by a long shot was the 1080p ones running blu-ray content.

Sure a 3k 780p panel might look slightly better, but it doesn't justify the 2k extra price tag IMO.

Good to see you are happy with the Soniq. I have found the the orig Soniq 42" works best with component on *any* source (incl foxtel), and that s-video gives a white-ish 'halo' around objects - but that was the previous model and this one may be different.

Also, please stop it with this 780p bizzo, its 720p (see post #56)

You mentioned in an earlier post a digital tuner? Could you confirm that your panel has an inbuilt digital tuner. If so, the price is even more amazing.

Actually with respect to panels it's 768p

720p is generally a broadcast format although some projectors are/were available in with 720 pixels in the vertical direction.

Actually with respect to panels it's 768p

720p is generally a broadcast format although some projectors are/were available in with 720 pixels in the vertical direction.

Please let me know where I can get 768p content. It's the content that matters.

Good to see you are happy with the Soniq. I have found the the orig Soniq 42" works best with component on *any* source (incl foxtel), and that s-video gives a white-ish 'halo' around objects - but that was the previous model and this one may be different.

You mentioned in an earlier post a digital tuner? Could you confirm that your panel has an inbuilt digital tuner. If so, the price is even more amazing.

780, 720 whatever, who cares, obviously I'm no buff, all I know is there is not enough content in 720p (let alone 1080p) to justify the $1000-1500 increase in price tag.

The Plasma has an inbuilt analogue tuner.

I had the foxtel connected through the AV input, but didn't look as good as component, but there are no disserning artifacts in either.

This is all tripe. I have a 50" Plasma and at 2.5m viewing distance the picture on SD, DVD and many FOXTEL channels is just simply amazing.

Why do people always speculate about PQ who have never even owned a 42" or 50"Plasma ????

No really ,just say what you mean.

Doug I realise it is difficult to know just what actual experience other forum members have , without them telling you but you may want to consider that I am far from being a neophyte when it comes to home entertainment electronics.

You have an hd panel and so any input is being upscaled to the native res of the panel. An large sd panel with sd source will not look anywhere near as pleasant at 2.5 meter viewing distance.

Secondly your "amazing" could be my "crap" which is why I added the caveat about my being picky.

Gordon

Would this model plasma be subject to the burn-in problem?

I mean when a channel watermark such as ABC gets burned in permanently

And then another channel watermark gets burned on top of it etc

They can never be removed ! :blink:

Who cares, for $999, you can just buy another one! :D Sooooo inexpensive!

Ray.

No really ,just say what you mean.

Doug I realise it is difficult to know just what actual experience other forum members have , without them telling you but you may want to consider that I am far from being a neophyte when it comes to home entertainment electronics.

You have an hd panel and so any input is being upscaled to the native res of the panel. An large sd panel with sd source will not look anywhere near as pleasant at 2.5 meter viewing distance.

Secondly your "amazing" could be my "crap" which is why I added the caveat about my being picky.

Gordon

Fair enough - I realise it is all subjective - I jsut get sick and tired of "so called experts" pointing out the problmes with with SD panels whne for $999 most users will be satisfied.

Who cares, for $999, you can just buy another one! :blink: Sooooo inexpensive!

Ray.

Have had one of these Plasma's for a week now....thought I would add my thoughts.

I was originally going to buy one of the new 40" Samsung 1080 LCD's. The day I was going to buy this, was the day they announced the problems with the digital tuner - so I decided against it, until these problems are definitely sorted out. $3500 is too much to spend on a TV that has issues.

Anyway...decided in the interim I'd get the $999 Soniq plasma. Even had to take the display model, as all the JB's near me were out of stock.

I have the Plasma connected via an HDMI cable to a Panasonic DVD recorder. Have Foxtel plugged into the Panasonic recorder.

Picture Quality: I'm no expert, but Foxtel quality is good for what it is. Certain channel seem better than others - but overall am very happy. DVD quality is really good - as far as I'm concerned. I did have a friend who knows more than I do, come around and adjust colour settings etc on the TV using a couple of those calibration DVD's. Im happy to compare settings with others if people are interested.

Sound: As I read in one other post here, the speakers on the Soniq Plasma make a hissing sound. Even when the volume is on 1, the hissing is quite noticeable. I have therefore muted the Soniq's speakers - and am using some external speakers through my amp without any problems. I don't know if this issue is with all the Soniq plasmas, or just some of them. It's not bad enough that Id return the unit, especially since Im using external speakers, and especially considering the price. I'd be interested to hear if others detect this hissing noise with theirs though.

End of the day Im happy with it. Sure there are better TVs out there - but for now, Im happy with this considering the price.

I've been thinking about buying one of these - I have a few questions :

1. Does anyone know who the OEM is? I did a WHOIS on soniqav.com, seems to be associated with Quatius Limited/Shenzhen Milkyway Electronics Co. Ltd.

2. What sort of warranty is JB Hi-Fi offering - I assume its just 12 months?

3. Whats the viewing angle like compared to other plasmas?

4. Does anyone have a picture of the remote?

5. Is there a timer/wakeup function so it will turn on automatically?

6. How many HDMI inputs does it have?

7. What make/model is the panel?

8. Whats the overall build quality like - does it feel cheap and nasty or well put togeather (considering the price)?

9. Is the contrast ratio 4000:1 (as per the website) or 10000:1 (as per their advertising)?

Edited by DsLDr0id

1. Does anyone know who the OEM is? I did a WHOIS on soniqav.com, seems to be associated with Quatius Limited/Shenzhen Milkyway Electronics Co. Ltd.

If you really want to know, try call JB's head office and ask for the TV buying manager. His name was George two years ago.

12 months

Will be as good as 7th gen LG panels. IME most (all?) plasma remains bright and can be viewed to the extremes, until the picture is too narrow to watch.

Pay a visit to JBHiFi. Touching is important.

LG

8. Whats the overall build quality like - does it feel cheap and nasty or well put togeather (considering the price)?

Pay a visit to JBHiFi. Touching is important.

9. Is the contrast ratio 4000:1 (as per the website) or 10000:1 (as per their advertising)?

You will never know by looking at it :blink:

I've been thinking about buying one of these - I have a few questions :

1) I had a mate just recently go over to China, and he had a meeting with a manufacturer there who said they would make any tv for him and either badge it themselves with your logo of choice (i think an extra $3 per unit) or they could leave it blank. So who the manufacturer is, is anyone's guess, I doubt JB will give you that answer, but it's also like all panels, at the end of the day, who knows where they are made.

3) Viewing angle is very good, I have one sofa sitting right on the corner of it and about a meter away, and it's still viewable as if you were sitting at the front.

4) The remote is very plain, there are PIP functions on the remote but don't seem to work on the TV

5) There is no timer that I know of (only had it for a week), at least it doesn't appear in the on screen menu

6) 1 HDMI port

8) Build quality is very good considering the price, feels very tuff, and all black matte finish.

9) In the manual, it states 4000:1 ratio, but who knows the real figure, as I said before, the remote is generic, so the manual might be aswell.

It has been well worth the investment, and I don't regret it for a second.

Fair enough - I realise it is all subjective - I jsut get sick and tired of "so called experts" pointing out the problmes with with SD panels whne for $999 most users will be satisfied.

Yep , form my point of view it's just a case of trying to give folk as much info as possible to make the best decision for their requirements.One of the comments I heard often when I was in retail was " I wish I'd known........... before I bought my... ....."

Gordon

1) I had a mate just recently go over to China, and he had a meeting with a manufacturer there who said they would make any tv for him and either badge it themselves with your logo of choice (i think an extra $3 per unit) or they could leave it blank.

I'd prefer it if the Soniq logo/name wasn't on there - how's it attached, is it silkscreened on or is it actually a piece of plastic attached to the front? I'd ideally want to remove it if I got one of these..

I'd prefer it if the Soniq logo/name wasn't on there - how's it attached, is it silkscreened on or is it actually a piece of plastic attached to the front? I'd ideally want to remove it if I got one of these..

Just scribble "Pana" in front of the name if it makes you feel better :blink:

1) I had a mate just recently go over to China, and he had a meeting with a manufacturer there who said they would make any tv for him and either badge it themselves with your logo of choice (i think an extra $3 per unit) or they could leave it blank. So who the manufacturer is, is anyone's guess, I doubt JB will give you that answer, but it's also like all panels, at the end of the day, who knows where they are made.

They had a guy on today tonight the other week who did exactly that and now gets them shipped over and sells them on ebay,heres one of his lcd's

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-46-KOGAN-x46-HD...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just scribble "Pana" in front of the name if it makes you feel better :P
:blink: Bloody funny :D
Very Funny

You can also cross out the Q and hope no-one notices Sony misspelt.

Edit : just in case I've offended anyone (:P) I'm allowed to make these comments because I look at a Soniq badge everyday on the orig 42" :P

• 2 weeks later...
I bought one of these last week. Picture is great with HD material. Recommended.

Looked at both the Magnavox and Soniq.

Magnavox is better perhaps because:

1. Warranty is 2 year.

2. As we know JB HiFI are difficult to deal with when problems arise (usually I get it in writing that I can return something!).

3. Audio quality is better on the Magnavox and there is no hiss. The hiss is an amplifier problem not the speakers. Inbuilt Mag. speakers are quite ok.

4. Picture quality (AV) maybe a tad better on Magnavox - whether this is due to the higher Contrast (8000 vs 4000) or not I don't know.

5. Engineering quality (case etc.) seems better too. (User Manual on Magnavox is pretty useless for the non-technical.)

6. To be honest, another weakness of the Magnavox is the two scarts and less other inputs. But it does have proper HDMI. (2x scarts suggests it might be designed mainly for the European market - through Philips maybe?).

Just a few hasty impressions based on a quick living room comparision.

Someone else may have a different opinion.