Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyc

In Support Of Kogan

Kulfi I dont really have any plans to get a kogan bluray player, but if i was going to buy some gear online, I would look at something cheap, like a $200 bluray player rather than a tv. I agree that there are a lot of other brands of bluray players (that you can preview in a shop) at a similar price.

I think you had raised some good points there. I'll summarise them based on my interpretation -

1) It's important to set a small limit when shopping online and adhere to it.

2) Stores should not be used as just "touch-and-feel" kind of places. If we take up their time, then we should give them our business in return.

3) We would expect online-only retailers to be cheaper than brick-and-mortar stores.

I cannot remember where. it was a no name brand. it was basically a portable unit. it possible downmixed video and audio to sd and stereo. the shop that was demoed it connected it up using rca. it had the blu-ray logo on it.

Portable? So it had a screen? You can get portable DVD players with LCD screen for about $90. Other types without screen go for about $45.

The words “Blu-ray Disc” are part of the Bluray logo.

Panasonic makes a Bluray portable player, which sells for about $1,300 with a full HD screen.

The cheapest every day priced Blu ray player selling that I have seen in Perth is AMTC for $179 by Dick Smith.

All Bluray players have HDMI the most expensive part of the player is the drive itself. Adding HDMI to the player would just slightly increase the price.

The cheapest Bluray combo drive for the PC is $149 sold by PLE computers, which is just the drive.

All Bluray players have HDMI the most expensive part of the player is the drive itself.

the cost of the drive is coming down fast, very soon the most expensive part of the player will actually be the licensing costs

I think you had raised some good points there. I'll summarise them based on my interpretation -

1) It's important to set a small limit when shopping online and adhere to it.

2) Stores should not be used as just "touch-and-feel" kind of places. If we take up their time, then we should give them our business in return.

3) We would expect online-only retailers to be cheaper than brick-and-mortar stores.

I agree with point 1, especially in "auction" type sites.

Point 2 50/50, as checking a price or a specification quickly surely doesn't reflect a great deal of time.

Point 3, yes we would expect that. Unfortunatley (as I'm sure you are aware) this is not the case with certain products and often in general. Seems we are a "retail" country... either that or businesses have simply not embraced online commerce and business here in Australia as much as some other nations.

JSmith :ninja:

I bought the Kogan bluray player last night since my Samsung BDP-1500 stopped running blurays for whatever stupid reason (it still plays DVDs). I was pretty tempted by Kogan (although skeptical at the same time) for its region free capabilities so I ordered it for $210 incl delivery which I think is a fair price. As long as its reliable I'm sure I'll be happy with it, would've loved to get an Oppo but not for an extra $400 & I don't own any fancy audio gear

I bought the Kogan bluray player last night since my Samsung BDP-1500 stopped running blurays for whatever stupid reason (it still plays DVDs). I was pretty tempted by Kogan (although skeptical at the same time) for its region free capabilities so I ordered it for $210 incl delivery which I think is a fair price. As long as its reliable I'm sure I'll be happy with it, would've loved to get an Oppo but not for an extra $400 & I don't own any fancy audio gear

So, how is the kogan /backslash?

Quote from Steve Neil on his Eastwood HiFi gossip page today.

"http://www.current.com.au/2010/05/20/article/Kogan-immediately-puts-the-boot-into-Clive-Peeters/YPSWXVZQEQ

Here's the guy who sells more sh#* in a week than the Sydney sewerage system handles during national Vindaloo Month. We purchased a Blu-Ray player off him - faulty, sent it back, next one faulty, third one was also faulty so we gave up and donated it to a web site fan (poor guy). I've heard nothing but horror stories about the stuff he sells. Of course it's cheap, that's why people who buy on price alone get exactly what they deserve. Fortunately for Kogan, Australia is a country full of gamblers, you pay peanuts and get something that may or may not work (you could get lucky and get one that doesn't fail). I sure hope the industry puts the boot into him when customers wise up and buy reputable products from retailers who can give technical advice. Imagine what the warranties on the Kogan branded stuff will be worth then!"

From http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Content_And_D...dustry/T9E3H9G3

Online retailer Ruslan Kogan, who in the past has been slammed by the Australian Competition and Consumer commission for his business practises, has been left with egg on his face after yesterday writing off Clive Peeters while taking a swipe at Harvey Norman.
A Harvey Norman franchisee said, "Kogan is a flea on the retail landscape. Some of our stores sell in a day what he sells in a year."

Of course Clive Peeters ended up in administration. When their own employees are sucking out over $20 million from them, there can be no other outcome.

Kogan has no such issues because he's operating a "company" all by himself from a shed in Melbourne.

Of course Clive Peeters ended up in administration. When their own employees are sucking out over $20 million from them, there can be no other outcome.

How so Kulfi, ripping stuff off from the warehouse or something?

Kogan has no such issues because he's operating a "company" all by himself from a shed in Melbourne.

Didn't they recover most of the misappropriated funds?

Thanks Ruslan Kogan for your offer of answering in a thread, dated 19.10.06 (now locked), any questions related to your companies and it's service.

Here is a copy of a complaint I forwarded to your company last night after receiving what I feel was very poor service and I would appreciate your response to be posted here. I was a first time customer and just found your name on this site.

Dear Charlene

Thank you for your email but I find your response totally unacceptable.

However I appreciate your offer of further assisting me and I request that this email be forwarded to the manager of Kogan. I then ask you contact me with the managers name and confirmation that this email has been sent to him or her.

Dear Manager of Kogan

In brief this is my complaint:

I order a 10.4" LCD DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME AND MEDIA PLAYER online on 29th June at 9.51pm as a gift to a friend who has just given birth need it to be delivered directly to the friend’s address. (Invoice Ref# : RSQV3)

I follow your ordering process perfectly and expect somewhere to be asked for delivery address but this did not happen. I email immediately your company with the requested delivery address: Bianca Mxxxxx, x xxxxx Close Watsonia Nth 3087.

Within minutes of placing the order then emailing the delivery address I receive this email response form Sam at Kogan saying “Thank you, your postal address has been updated. When your item is dispatched, you will receive an email with your tracking number.

Then one form Dan at Kogan saying “Your address details have been updated and your order will be dispatched today’.

Then when I complain that the frame was not sent to the correct address I get a kind apology from Dan saying “Please accept our apologies for the error, however it appears that the address was not changed before your item was sent.”

I really appreciate your company representative accepting total responsibility for the error.

My request was simply for your company to right the wrong and organize a courier to pick up the frame from Ivanhoe and deliver to Watsonia. Not a big request for a company who must send out hundreds of couriers each day.

Charlene’s response almost defies belief.

After accepting total responsibly for the error she then states “As this unit was delivered two weeks ago, we are unable to have it picked up and delivered to another address”. Who determined a cut off time? Why does it make a difference to Kogan if it is 3, 7 or 14 days? Have you outlined your “time limit for taking responsibilities for mistakes policy” on your web site? The fact that I was out of the office for 12 of the 14 days would have made it impossible for the frame to be picked up anyway.

As a first time customer of your company I’m horrified at the quality of service you offer. I had a dinner party tonight eight people heard the story and most shock their heads in disbelief.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely

Brian Moran OAM

Gum Tree Entertainment Co

Ph 03 94973227

briangum@tpg.com.au

www.gumtree.net.au