In Support Of Kogan

To solve a space problem, I have been looking for a low cost LCD for our bedroom. I bought a 19" Kogan through e-Bay for $339. The set looks good and works well.

A number of people on this forum have been going crook about delivery delays. Kogan e-mailed me 5 days before the scheduled delivery date and told me my set was ready to pick up.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I know I'm a first time poster, but I've been doing alot of research from this forum and most of my queries has been answered by using the search function. I bought a 32" from Kogan as well through eBay and it was delivered right on time. Cost me $950 delivered. As I know that I will not be using this LCD Tv for a long period of time (>3 Yrs), I capped my budget at $1,000. Looked around and read quite extensively on the forums, I came to decide on the Kogan.

Quality wise, not the best, but pretty decent. It also helps that I like black :D. The only part I didn't like was the glossy film in between the Frame and the LCD panel, it was just a sticker and it looked cheap, but from far it's ok.

Tv came with AV, Component, S-Video, RGB and Audio-In Cables.

Setup was pretty easy. I hooked it up to the Digicrystal HDT-9500 via HDMI cable and the channels were detected automatically.

Picture Quality wise, in comparison to my old CRT. There is a big difference. Sharper, Clearer, just seems more real. Can't explain in technical terms :blink:. Played the movie "Stealth" and it was pretty good. Played with the settings for quite awhile, but I'm still uncomfortable with the display, perhaps it's this transition from CRT to LCD. Will give it a few days. Tried to use it as a pc monitor and it works. Playing Counter-strike on a 32" LCD was so cool.

Speakers are ok, loud enough to be heard, however I used my own 5.1 sound system.

I did email Kogan on eBay couple of times for my receipt and also I couldn't figure out some function on the remote, and it was replied quite promptly. For now I am very happy with my new LCD Tv and I certainly hope that I would not need to claim any warranty during the duration of my usage.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES!!

Cheers :P

Danson

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the product and service provided, thats all that matters. Maybe they've pulled their finger out re deliveries?

If Delivery date is the only gripe, then they can't be too bad a set anyway.

Hopefully you will have trouble free operation with it.

Danson, I suspect the glossy film is for transport to prevent damage to the screen. You can take that off.

• 5 months later...

Guest not-happy-Jan

The moment any civil debate on Kogan comes onto DVT the same old crew seem to derail the thread.

Suggest this is thread be for Kogan owners to share....????

Edited by not-happy-Jan

Hi,

I know I'm a first time poster, but I've been doing alot of research from this forum and most of my queries has been answered by using the search function. I bought a 32" from Kogan as well through eBay and it was delivered right on time. Cost me $950 delivered. As I know that I will not be using this LCD Tv for a long period of time (>3 Yrs), I capped my budget at $1,000. Looked around and read quite extensively on the forums, I came to decide on the Kogan.

Quality wise, not the best, but pretty decent. It also helps that I like black :D. The only part I didn't like was the glossy film in between the Frame and the LCD panel, it was just a sticker and it looked cheap, but from far it's ok.

Tv came with AV, Component, S-Video, RGB and Audio-In Cables.

Setup was pretty easy. I hooked it up to the Digicrystal HDT-9500 via HDMI cable and the channels were detected automatically.

Picture Quality wise, in comparison to my old CRT. There is a big difference. Sharper, Clearer, just seems more real. Can't explain in technical terms :lol:. Played the movie "Stealth" and it was pretty good. Played with the settings for quite awhile, but I'm still uncomfortable with the display, perhaps it's this transition from CRT to LCD. Will give it a few days. Tried to use it as a pc monitor and it works. Playing Counter-strike on a 32" LCD was so cool.

Speakers are ok, loud enough to be heard, however I used my own 5.1 sound system.

I did email Kogan on eBay couple of times for my receipt and also I couldn't figure out some function on the remote, and it was replied quite promptly. For now I am very happy with my new LCD Tv and I certainly hope that I would not need to claim any warranty during the duration of my usage.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES!!

Cheers :D

Danson

link not working

Picture Quality wise, in comparison to my old CRT. There is a big difference. Sharper, Clearer, just seems more real. Can't explain in technical terms :lol:. Played the movie "Stealth" and it was pretty good. Played with the settings for quite awhile, but I'm still uncomfortable with the display, perhaps it's this transition from CRT to LCD.

I have a 26" LCD from kogan too, Generally I am very happy with this product, simple you use, yet has alot of features and menu for picture and sound is very customizable. But I too have issues with the image... I can;t describe it that well, but when it comes to blacks, shadows and dark blues and dark grey areas there is just something not quite right...

I have a digital STB, and my DVD connected through my Kenwood Receiver via Component connectivity. While I can adjust the brightness, If I go above 55 with it the brightness is too bright in the black bars of a DVD movie almost to the point that it is white (due to backlight I guess) this is very dominant at the top and bottom of the screen. I have played for hours with settings, almost every time I turn it on, I have a TV tuner in my computer and have the STB connected to it via S-Video and compare the 2, but the kogan just can't seem to get the same picture as far as colours etc go. any normal colours except for ones abouve are fantastic and vibrant and sharp, It's just when it comes to the blacks shadows and dark colours ...

I'll try and post comparison pics if I can get them to show in a photo...

I have a Kogan 46"(1080i) and a Toshiba 42" 42x3000a (1080p)

I am happy with both items. My father has the Kogan 46" inch in his room and I am using the toshiba in my room for blu-ray 1080p content. I have not tried the Kogan on blu-ray yet.

The Kogans quality for viewing HD from free to air channels is great. Equal par to the toshiba.infact the kogan would be better because of the bigger size.

The Toshiba cost $3500 RRP from HN ( 2 weeks ago, although i got it cheaper) and the Kogan 46" cost me $1800 + $200 delivered.

The toshiba comes with 6yr warranty and the kogan 1 yr.

Toshiba 42" 42x3000a

+ Inbuilt HD tuner

+ 6 yr warranty

+ Digital Program guide

+ Excellent inbuilt Sound

+ 1920x1080 Computer/PC resolution

+ 2 x HDMI & Digital audio OUT

+ 1080p

+Adjustable screen size to eliminate 'black bars' from top and bottom of movies. Movie/video fanatics will curse me for this, as this is how it was meant to be played....yadayada. But i like FULL SCREEN, i paid for 42" i am getting 42" size, and i only miss a small amount of each side, nothing drastic... otherwise i wouldn't use it.

- Expensive

- Not piano black to match PS3:)

- Free to Air content looks the same as Kogan (although the broadcast is only 1080i,720p) no majour colour diff etc.

Kogan

+Excellent Price!

+ The quality of picture compares with the more expensive toshiba (tv or movies)

+ Big screen!

+ 1 HDMI input

- no Digital audio out

- 1080i

- No frills, not much in tweaking or customizing in the digitial menu

- no inbuilt digital tuner

- 1 yr warranty

- sore eyes when using for PC gaming, and problems with accepting native resolution of 1366x768(vga or HDMI) , could only use 1280x720. (i have 8800gts video card)

- Stuck with those top and bottom black bars for movies :)

Both units show fantastic quality, if you just want a TV for TV and not PC use, the Kogan is certainly great value choice, save well over a $1000. If you would like to use it for PC, i dont really recommend. (based on my experience)

I am happy with the Toshiba, because of a number features and reasons listed above, most importantly, that I can afford the unit. Take myself back a couple of years i would not be able to afford such a unit and i would be wishing i had purchased the Kogan*. (* = purely based on money value, not based on technology such as no 1080p content a few yrs ago etc etc)

It could be legit, but it does look dodgey and especially with the previous similar aparent unethical approach these back-yard thugs have used previously. <-- Im happy to say that because no doubt they'll have this thread closed down now theyre shonky antics have may have been exposed yet again.. Its really only a matter of time before they end up with some Today Tonight publicity...

Cheers,

Bitey

What I dont understand is that it does nothing for them. From the horses' mouth the "display" pulled only 5 DTV members from here so there's no point in breaking the forum rules by advertising products. Hopefully we never see it again.

The best thing to do is advertise the same way everyone else does, internet, papers, radio, TV.

Pay the money - reap the rewards. Any successful business will tell you that. BTW did you know I sell smilies? :):):)

lol, you pissed me off so much

I spent 20 minutes of my time compiling this information for people who want to know information on Kogan and a compare product against it. There are no official reviews anywhere before i took the plunge and purchased it. I am unbiased and only want to give you my honest views and thoughts, if you had of noticed the toshiba had more + than -'s

All i get is from my efforts is a reply from a toe rag who calls me a spam, well i have one reply for you and that's 'f*ck you

But then again i suppose you only look for a one sided view, like 'Kogan is cheap and its only primal use is to ramm its 46" length of screen up djOS ass.... have i redeemed myself to be unspammed?

Jimmy, ***EDIT: I made a mistake and wrongly accused "no spam" of being a Kogan Stooge - I went back and checked my facts and he is not - I got my wires crossed and I apologise to "no spam" unreservedly***

Apologies If you thought I was targeting you directly I wasn't ... unfortunately there has been a spate of kogan spamming on the DTV forums lately that is made to seem like genuine customer feedback when it is in fact blatant advertising.

Jimmy, you might be genuine but "no spam" isn't ... he is a Kogan stooge!!! and has had at least 1 tempBan applied for his Kogan spamming tactitcs.

Apologies If you thought I was targeting you directly I wasn't ... unfortunately there has been a spate of kogan spamming on the DTV forums lately that is made to seem like genuine customer feedback when it is in fact blatant advertising.

ok, i'm sorry for lashing out.

Jimmy, you might be genuine but "no spam" isn't ... he is a Kogan stooge!!! and has had at least 1 tempBan applied for his Kogan spamming tactitcs.

I'm only new to this forum because I only recently purchases a new TV and pS3 for Blu-ray. I am/was annoyed that a senior member of this forum attacked me for spam.

After the great information this forum has provided me over the weeks I thought i'd return some "hopefully" valued information on my experiences and setup of the KOGAN TV, TOSHIBA and PS3.

Tough crowd here in DTV Forum :) reminds me of being the new kid in the playground.

Dont take it personal Jimmy - Kogan have done a lot to damage their reputation around here and subsequently some people here dont have much time for them anymore

Cheers,

Bitey

Guest not-happy-Jan

djOS has clarified his position and I thank him very much for his editing!! :rolleyes:

Edited by not-happy-Jan