Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

ok

just picked one 700a up from Retravision for $1580

I went to Good Guys and they had the price for $1999 then take 15% off

so best price was $1600. They had lots of stock over 20 on the floor

I then went up the road to Retravision and they did not have the model on display

They guy said they might have one out the back so he had a look and said yes

on there and i said Good Guys up the road can do $1600

he then said we can do $1580..I said sold..

now time to setup :)

the TV looked awesome in the stores. The best looking 32''

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im still about 4 weeks away from getting my set, but damn they are going for an awesome price at the moment!

you gotta wonder though, how many people just pay what the sticker price is, before coming here, I would have never thought you could get over 15% off.

Ramskii

Both stores are in Hoppers Crossing in Vic. Just along old Geelong Road..

Good Guys lots of stock (in 70A and the new 50'' 700A plasma)

Retravision i dont think has anymore stock.

You should def get for around $1600 easy.

BTW this was cash/credit price with no extended warranty

Ramskii

Both stores are in Hoppers Crossing in Vic. Just along old Geelong Road..

Good Guys lots of stock (in 70A and the new 50'' 700A plasma)

Retravision i dont think has anymore stock.

You should def get for around $1600 easy.

BTW this was cash/credit price with no extended warranty

ahhh thanks for that mate. The gf lives in hoppers so i know exactly where that is. :) Going to myer in chadstone tomorrow so will tell them that info and see what happens. :)

ok

just adjusted the colours on the HD tuner as below

Cinema mode

Contrast At Default

Brightness: -2

Colour: +5

Sharpness: -1

Tint: -4 (if available)

Colour Temperature: Warm

P-NR: Off

Colour Management: Off

it looks nice but it just looks a little warm.. ill run with it for a few days and see how it is.

All this LCD needs is a PVR built in and it would be an even more killer LCD.

Is anyone planning on getting a panasonic DMR- EX87/85/77/75 ?

im tempted to grab one for the PVR, upscaling dvd player and mpg4 off SD cards also to

check out how the vierra link works..

Damn, I had the best price for all of 24 hours! ;) Just wish I knew about that price drop one day sooner.

They are the settings that I've gone with bigg. Make sure you check your settings when you change inputs for the first time as they may revert back to default.

It's a kick arse TV. Played a bit of Xbox 360 today. Not even a hint of motion ghosting on Gears of War. :D

i must say C7 AFL looks very nice tonight. I dont think its HD so im keen to see how 10 HD afl will look.

Also i think Idol on Sunday is HD and 5.1 so that should be interesting with all the colours and movement.

ps. I dont like Idol.. just a good demo for the tv :)

I've been following this thread for so long. Fully intend to get one of these this weekend. Thanks guys/girls for all the valuable advice you have posted. The latest price drop was the clincher! Just one question - any issues with wall mounting this model?

I've been following this thread for so long. Fully intend to get one of these this weekend. Thanks guys/girls for all the valuable advice you have posted. The latest price drop was the clincher! Just one question - any issues with wall mounting this model?

The manual says you need to use an official Panasonic wall mount and a professional installer or void your warranty.

Part number: TY-WK32LR2W

ok

just picked one 700a up from Retravision for $1580

I went to Good Guys and they had the price for $1999 then take 15% off

so best price was $1600. They had lots of stock over 20 on the floor

I then went up the road to Retravision and they did not have the model on display

They guy said they might have one out the back so he had a look and said yes

on there and i said Good Guys up the road can do $1600

he then said we can do $1580..I said sold..

now time to setup :)

the TV looked awesome in the stores. The best looking 32''

Thats a bit crazy, buying from Retravision when you went to GG first, and for only a $20 saving!!

You would of got it for $1500 possibly if you went back to GG.

There were 2 reasons i did not to go GG

1. The sales guy was not that nice and i did not feel comfortable around him

2. I get Double Qantas FF points if i shop at Retravision with the ANZ gold Qantas visa.

so it was $20 cheaper and i got a bounus 1580 FF points

Potential Adelaide buyers... just got back from Kieth Bowden Electrical...

Their TICKETED price on the 700A is $1698, & yes, less with cash on the knocker, did not ask, probly $50> off.

None in stock, have to order for U.

Did not buy 1 as I like to cash&carry on the day, I'll wait till they have stock (U never know, price may drop again in 2 weeks). :blink:

The 26" 70A was $1298, negotiable.

The beauty of KBE is that they have a 21 day return policy if any probs, ie dead pixels etc.

I know, as I purchased a Sharp 32 from them 2/3 months ago, for my sis, prob with inbuilt tuner, even though the 21 days had expired they still replaced it with a 32V2000 Sony, needless to say for few more $$$'s, but happy sister, better TV. :rolleyes:

Myers Marion $1999.

RetraVision $2199.

Looch

Joyce Mayne in Rockhampton have ticketed the 700A for $1,652 v $1,999 2 weeks ago.

That seems a decent price for a regional town without much competition.

No doubt in the big smoke, one could save another $100 easily.

I spoke with a very impressive [and attractive] salesgirl at H-N who told me that she could at least match the price if I decide to proceed.

The only reason I'm hesitant is that it will be used in a small room in a construction camp for the next 2-3 months.

I'd prefer a 26" model but the 26" 70A is no-where near the TV set the 32" 700A is.

just saw the myer catalogue in The West today (saturday)...$2199 for 700a with a free pana dvd recorder....

not sure any further discount on that price tag....(I wouldnt mind to get that extra dvd recorder for $2k altogether)...

Does anyone know approx how much I should be paying for either a 3 or 5 year extended warranty?

Although, it seems a lot of people on here dont think they are worth it.

Went to myer chadstone today and they were able to price match the700A from The GG for $1600. Didnt see if I could go any lower as Im not ready to buy as yet but should defintely get it for under $1600 without too much trouble.

Haha...Well I did eventually.

Hey roxy29, are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the black levels between your Plasma and LCD? Perhaps use the same scene from a DVD in a well lit and then totally dark room and just give us your impressions of the differences. I think it may help those people who are trying to decide between the 42 inch plasma and the 32 inch LCD.

ok did a comparison using sd tv, hd tv, and dvd last night using DR WHO and the AFL game for the TV shows and Lord of the rings (fellowship of the ring) the scene where frodo gets stabbed in the castle ruin and aragorn fights off the bad guys!!.

Lets be clear.....the black levels on the LCD in either a well lit or a dark room are not as good as the plasma, neuther is the picture sharpness and clarity particularly on SDTV free to air. That being said the LCD does have a wonderful 'depth' to it's picture (i think someone else described it a 3D like feeling and i totally know what they mean) that the plasma cant replicate. The low reflection off the LCD panel is a noticeble improvent over the plasma panel in moderate and well lit conditions however the percieved contrast suffers on the lcd in well lit rooms. the blacks in the lord of the rings scene are a beautiful deep crisp black on the plasma while when compared side by side the lcd appears more of a very dark charcoal (if that makes sense). if you wish to place a plasma in a well lit room this can be achieved by clever positioning of directional lights, however in daytime conditions in a well lit room (natural light) the LCD wins hands down due to it's very low reflection. The sport comaprison using channel ten AFL the plasma was better but not by a lot. ghosting and motion blur during fast moving scenes is almost imperceptable on the LCD (probably due to the motion picture pro 100hz feature) and again this is the best LCD panel that i have evr seen for Football.

The verdict for me..........Plasma is superior in nearly every aspect when picture quality is concerned..............but this LCD has played some serious catch-up and the gaps is closing. If i had to choose between the two (size not considered) i would take the plasma hands down, for my room and my watching content preferences (sport and a lot of foxtel) in a room with good curtains and careful light placement., however the i am very happy with the LCD for a bedroom TV and if you are constricted by size and/or need to do a lot of watching in a room where it is difficult to control light levels then i would highly recomend the LCD, the picture quality is the best i have seen out of an LCD panel and if this type of improvement continues and translates into the bigger sized LCD panels then the future of plasma is questionable imo.

Also as a side note the audio quality out of the LCD is quite suprising for a flat panel tv (i obviously don't use the plasmas built in audio as it is connected to my HT) but am using the tv's audio on the LCD as it is in my bedroom and have been quite impressed. Bass response is excellent for a flat panel TV and the SRS TRU surround is remarkabley effective all things considered. We watched HEAT last night and during the explosions etc there was definately audible effect behind us. not that this will interest many people of course but this panel has the best audio quality that i have ever heard out of a flat panel telly.

Hope this helps just pm me if you want to know anything more specific and i will help if i can

Edited by roxy29
ok did a comparison using sd tv, hd tv, and dvd last night using DR WHO and the AFL game for the TV shows and Lord of the rings (fellowship of the ring) the scene where frodo gets stabbed in the castle ruin and aragorn fights off the bad guys!!.

Thanks so much for your review! It's good to see the Panasonic 42" plasma performs so well, and is an excellent choice for larger rooms. You also confirm that with good quality SD as well as HD, the plasma is a very good choice.

I found the Panasonic 700A 'cleans up' average to poor quality SD stations and DVD's very well with its electronics, and that fit my requirement. It also displays higher quality SD and HD very well, making it a good all-round TV - particularly for a smaller room and where ambient light may be higher. It is also reported to have an excellent TV tuner for pulling in stations.

Panasonic makes their own plasma panels, are are expanding factory capacity to keep up with demand. Looks like they have done well with both technologies.

One question - how have you found the EH-65 using its HDMI output, compared to say Component out and using the 700A and plasma TV's native upscaling? I'm considering the EH-65, as my EH-55 that lacks HDMI out. Many thanks.

Edited by tech2002
One question - how have you found the EH-65 using its HDMI output, compared to say Component out and using the 700A and plasma TV's native upscaling? I'm considering the EH-65, as my EH-55 that lacks HDMI out. Many thanks.

There is a percievable improvement using hdmi as opposed to component but if using a decent quality component cable the picture quality out of the EH-65 is still excellent, the VIERA engine is fantastic for improving SD content, probably unparralleled by any other manufacturer. I wouldn't buy a new dvd/r just to go to HDMI but it's up to you of course........i think that the EH-65 is superseded now so they should be going very cheap around the place, new model has built in SD tuner.

$1450?!? are you sure its the 700A.

It just seems amazing how much the price on this set has dropped in a matter of weeks, even days!

Edited by brett174
$1450?!? are you sure its the 700A.

It just seems amazing how much the price on this set has dropped in a matter of weeks, even days!

He must be refering to the 70A, BUT, if he is not & the prices drop down to the "no name brands" I would be getting a little bit sus on either the reseller or the product!

My 2c worth.

Looch

What's coming that is causing the price to drop so far so fast?! I'd get this panel without further thought if it hadn't dropped a good 30% within two months of list.

Hey guys - just wanted to add to the list - Thanks to the helpfull posts in this thread, I brought a 700A from JB's - price was $1571 (plus I brought a wall mount for it at the same time) - should have it hooked up tonight.

Initially I was looking at the 700A and the Samsung LA32R81BD, and after seeing them side by side showing ch 7 football, the panasonic was showing a far better picture - so the choice was easy.

So a big thanks to all those on this forum :)

What's coming that is causing the price to drop so far so fast?! I'd get this panel without further thought if it hadn't dropped a good 30% within two months of list.

I just think it is Panasonic gettting a handle on where to position this panel in the marketplace, and adjusting the RRP to suit. $2,399 was too high. $1,999 is a more reasonable figure, it is after all only a 32 inch panel (you can get a 42 inch HD plasma from Panasonic for only $400 more!).

Now, as far as what people are actually picking these up for, I think it is just a reflection on how cut throat the consumer electronics game has become. The stores couldn't be making that much from sales that are 20%+ off the RRP, but for every one of these type of sales, they would hope they are also making a sale/s at close to the full list price to offset the really cheap ones. Either way, it is all good for us, the buyers, and it sounds like if you have even half an idea how to negotiate, you should be able to get this set for a really good price. Which is exactly what I'm planning to do in the next week or so.

I wouldn't hold out for anything more coming through in the near future in this size (as far as full HD resolution or anything like that goes), as I can't see it making much of a difference to most people (in this size anyways, bigger sets this is not necessarily the case!), and they are probably getting to the stage with LCD tech where the benefits of any future improvements will not be so marked (unless they sort out a way to make blacks really black, which is proving near impossible, as you would suspect with this tech).

Just my 2 cents worth, but you could wait around for ever with this stuff, new models come out so often.

I am able to get the 700A for $1523 from clive peeters. This is with a further discount though as I know someone in the biz :) Thats as good as its gonna get for me i think. Still thinking whether to get it or not. :)

Quick question how does foxtel look through it? Is it Pixelated?

Dick Smith has updated the prices on its site:

$1274 for 26" 70A

$1474 for 32" (although I'm not sure if it's the 70A or the 700A; I presume it's the former)

He must be refering to the 70A, BUT, if he is not & the prices drop down to the "no name brands" I would be getting a little bit sus on either the reseller or the product!

My 2c worth.

Looch

A friend bought a Panasonic 700A (definately the 700 model as I've seen the box and the TV) via the Queensland Public Sector Union "Union Shopper" service for $1450. However when I asked the store he bought it from, they said they could NOT match that price (best they could do was $1550) unless it was ordered directly via that service (for which you have to be a member of the Union). So I think that price is achievable and kudos to Reddigital for getting it directly from JB without using a similar "shopping service" !!!

Either way, it is all good for us, the buyers, and it sounds like if you have even half an idea how to negotiate, you should be able to get this set for a really good price. Which is exactly what I'm planning to do in the next week or so.

...they are probably getting to the stage with LCD tech where the benefits of any future improvements will not be so marked (unless they sort out a way to make blacks really black, which is proving near impossible, as you would suspect with this tech).

I think the best news is the level of quality that is presently available in TV's like the 700A, regardless of a few hundred dollars difference in price.

There seems to be a point where these new TV's meet the real needs of people. After that, they 'improve' with newer models that contain features not really essential, but perhaps 'desirable' to a few people.

The 32" 700A has met my needs very well, in a model I'm happy to use for the next 2-3 years minimum.

BTW this is a great forum for learning about this TV!

It's going to make it very tough for the new Sony D3100 coming out in October. RRP is $2299, and I cant see anyone getting it for under 2k initially. There's no way its worth an extra $500 over the Panasonic.

One possibility could be the 37" LCD 1080p, available in eastern Europe as the TX-37LZD70F. IPS presently makes the 1080p 37" panel.

I would guess the size of the viewing room and the price would be two factors to consider in choosing this over the 32" 700A. The big question is its release? Possibly will be in the UK September 2007, but nothing official...