Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

tell me about it, I'm exactly the same. Sometimes I envy these people who know nothing about TV's and just go into the store and pick one on the spot!! I've spent hours and hours and hours researching and reading reviews, but it only makes it harder. I was 99% decided on this set until recently I read a review stating it had average black levels (they did say everything else about it was fantastic though).

The only other option is the Sony D3100, though that means waiting another couples of months and probably forking out atleast another $400.

Had I not read that review I probably would have been none the wiser, so I'm starting to think too much information isnt really a good thing.

Do you have a link to that review Brett? That's the first I've heard about 'average' black levels...Compared to what? A Panasonic plasma? Well that's expected, it's still the best 32 Inch LCD out there.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TX32LX...ure-Quality.php

It's a review of the LXD70 (though the only difference between the 70 and 700 is upgraded sound, an extra HDMI input, SD Card Reader and a different design. The panel is exactly the same)

It's the most indepth and technical review I've read. Though I get the feeling these guys are really really critical. I still think I'm going to end up getting this set. I just dont think I can justify spending over 2k for the Sony.

Edited by brett174

Yeah, I read that review also but didn't think it was too bad. You just can't expect to get Plasma black levels on a LCD. Plasma are always going to be ahead in that area. I am still a firm believer that the 700a is THE BEST 32inch LCD TV on the market today. I will be getting mine on Friday. :D

I will also post a review after a bit of use...

great, I'm really looking forward to your review

I'm off to Japan next week, assuming I dont spend too much there, I should be purchasing it when I get home.

It's the most indepth and technical review I've read. Though I get the feeling these guys are really really critical. I still think I'm going to end up getting this set. I just dont think I can justify spending over 2k for the Sony.

I enjoy the reviews, as they contain the possible shortcomings for a particular model. But as with a car purchase, you need to test out the real item.

I actually picked three contenders plus the 700A, and then arranged my own in-store test with these side-by-side. See my post at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=743720

It's important to know the things you value most, as no single set is likely to be the best at everything, at least not for 'Consumer' prices.

We're fortunate to have so many choices. Good luck with your purchase.

alright did some real bargaining today and the best price i could get in adelaide was $1740 from good guys or myers, HN and Radio rentals would'nt match this let alone beat it so think that is gonna be the price for me

Just wondering if you guys think this would work:

Could you connect a DVD player through HDMI to this TV and then use the Optical Digital Output from the TV into a surround sound system?

My DVD player only has digital coax output while my receiver only has optical inputs, so im trying to work out if this is possible.

Edited by brett174

Could you connect a DVD player through HDMI to this TV and then use the Optical Digital Output from the TV into a surround sound system?

My DVD player only has digital coax output while my receiver only has optical inputs, so im trying to work out if this is possible.

Not really an answer to your question but if you can't you can get Optical/Coax converters from Jaycar($39.95).

go to www.Jaycar.com.au and search for either AA1720 or AA1722 depending which way

I don't think that will work mate. I'm pretty sure the Optical Out on the TV is just for the TV's tuner.

By the way...I got the day off work tomorrow so I will now be picking up my TV a day earlier! Woohoo! :D

Bought one today and have it set up in my bedroom. got it from HN for $1700.....no-one that i could find in adelaide would go below $1700. First impressions are spectacular. This is definately the best 32 inch LCD that i have ever seen set-up in a house, it looks amazing, incredibly easy to set-up and PQ is just awsome. Still not quite as crisp as my plasma but it has it beat for image depth imo. Will post more impressions once i connect up a dvd player etc.

Will post more impressions once i connect up a dvd player etc.

Please offer comparison with your plasma, including gradient detail in dark picture areas, and picture quality when displaying various SD material. Thanks!

Edited by tech2002

$1750 Today from Myer Miranda Fair (Sydney)

Probably could have pushed for $1700 but I was happy enough to get similar to the other Myer buyers.

While the assistant was out checking with the supervisor to get the best price, I sold another one to the guy standing next to me - a good morning for the sales guy. ;)

Thanks everyone for the reccomendations and buying advice. I really, really like it (I had a 15-year-old 51cm 4:3 so you can imagine the difference).

Using with a Topfield 5000, a cruddy DVD Player (have to fix that), iPod Video and a Mac.

Rockyroad

I was originally looking at the pana 26inch but after some research this is now at the top of the list! Im glad to read that it looks pretty good with the xbox 360 as I will be using it a fair bit with it. Someone posted on here they got it from myer in chadstone which is very handy as I didnt think that myer had an electronics section. Good news as I live around a 1min away :)

Will definetly be going on the weekend to check it out. Max I will be looking to spend is $1700. Will see how i go hehe.

Hey guys,

Thought I would let you know that the Pana LCD's have just had a price drop for floor price in retail land. Here are the details

26" 70A - $1399

32" 70A - $1599

32" 700A - $1799

These should be the ticketed prices now in the coming days, so you should get even better...

Brazzwald

It's a review of the LXD70 (though the only difference between the 70 and 700 is upgraded sound, an extra HDMI input, SD Card Reader and a different design. The panel is exactly the same)

this has already been covered but there is more difference than this it actually has a more advanced engine featuring 'motion picture pro'(100hz), 'intelligent scene controller', '3D colour management', and 'sub pixel control' as well as a different speakers system, SRS TruSurround XT, digital audio amplification, an SDHC memory card slot, a 20 degres swivel and a capability for 1080P

Just got home from The Good Guys and just finished setting up my brand new TX-32LXD700A.

I walked in about 30 seconds before they shut and said "I want this and I want it now. Can you do it for less than $1,649?" and they said "We can do it for $1,640."

DEAL! :D

So there you go $1,640 oh and by the way, I paid for it with a credit card. ;)

Expect some detailed comments this weekend after I have had a play. I have tomorrow off work too!

Just to answer some questions...

1) The native resolution is 1366 x 768.

2) The TV can accept a 1080p source but obviously only displays it at its native resolution.

3) I will try a Xbox 360 via VGA this weekend and it should provide excellent results. There are actually more picture controls on the TV for the VGA input.

nice work! $1640 is the new benchmark :)

Did you get an extended warranty?

Nope. I don't believe in them. ;)

If the RRP drop is true, you should be able to get them for even less now.

this has already been covered but there is more difference than this it actually has a more advanced engine featuring 'motion picture pro'(100hz), 'intelligent scene controller', '3D colour management', and 'sub pixel control' as well as a different speakers system, SRS TruSurround XT, digital audio amplification, an SDHC memory card slot, a 20 degres swivel and a capability for 1080P

I've also read in the Panasonic comparison sheet that the 700A has a 6ms response time vs 8ms for the LXD70, and also has a contrast ratio of 8500:1 vs 7000:1 for the LXD70.

Still, people who own the LXD70 find the picture quality is extremely good, and compares very closely with the 700A.

I'm still amazed at the clarity of my 700A, with scenes often looking like photos. It also has stellar output from my PC via the VGA hookup - and running software as well watching movies from my hard drive are superb.

Edited by tech2002

I've just heard from my dad that my grandma's hand-me-down 20 year old 51cm Toshiba has packed it in, so the time has come to get a new TV. My grandma is not keen on 'big' TVs so dad has been pondering a Conia 22" with integrated tuner. The mere thought of Conia (EDIT which will doubtlessly be a warmed over computer monitor at that size) sends shivers down my spine, but a 26" may be 'too big'.

So, has the 26" form factor been reduced on the new model (the old model had a fugly thick bezel)?

And of course, (the obligatory) what sort of prices have people been getting for the 26" model in recent days?

Edited by surroundfan

Ok, first impressions of the TX-32LXD700a...

I just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth on SD DVD (upscalling DVD player - see sig).

Firstly, the out of the box settings are not the best. The picture is very bright and doesn't look quite right. I've used the settings that I posted earlier in this thread for now and may tweek it later if I think it needs it.

Black levels - Pan's Labyrith has many very dark scenes so it's a great film to test black level performance. For a LCD it is very good. If the picture fills the entire screen it looks better black level wise, than if there are black bars on screen. You can tell there is a backlight, but this is a limitation of the technology. Plasmas have better blacks, that's a fact, but the 700a has very good blacks for an LCD. Shadow detail is pretty good. The blacks don't have that inky black crush effect where all detail is lost. That said, if you only watch TV or DVD's in complete darkness, perhaps you should go for a plasma such as the Panasonic 42 inch 70a instead of a LCD TV.

Intelligent Scene Controller - This tech is active when using the Dynamic picture setting. It is essentially dynamic backlight control intended to increase the contrast ratio by dimming the backlight during darker scenes. Put simply...It doesn't work. Frankly, it annoyed the **** out of me. Imagine scene brightness constantly changing. I found it totally distracting. Hated it.

Motion Picture Pro 100Hz - One word...Wow! This does work and works very well. You know that scene judder effect when watching DVDs where panning shots kind of break up a little? Well this gets rid of that completely. The smoothness is amazing! I love it! When I was looking for it, I noticed a very slight fast-forward like effect for a few brief moments but I only noticed it when I was concentrating on looking for it and not what I was actually watching. Fantastic!

This tech also combats the dreaded LCD motion blur. I haven't noticed any blurring, ghosting or trailing yet. Very impressed.

That's all for now, but I can tell you on quite a few occasions I found the picture image to have that 3D quality. That is an indication of very good picture quality. I have no doubt this is a very, very impressive LCD TV and for the price I got it for it is a steal! Stop thinking about it and buy one already...:D

Edited by skinXBWAU
Hey guys,

Thought I would let you know that the Pana LCD's have just had a price drop for floor price in retail land. Here are the details

26" 70A - $1399

32" 70A - $1599

32" 700A - $1799

These should be the ticketed prices now in the coming days, so you should get even better...

Brazzwald

Just so i know what i'm talking about when I go in tomorrow to try and buy one.

Is the $1799 700A, a RRP from Panasonic? Should that be expected country wide?

Cheers

.... The smoothness is amazing! I love it! When I was looking for it, I noticed a very slight fast-forward like effect for a few brief moments but I only noticed it when I was concentrating on looking for it and not what I was actually watching. Fantastic!

This tech also combats the dreaded LCD motion blur. I haven't noticed any blurring, ghosting or trailing yet. Very impressed.

That's all for now, but I can tell you on quite a few occasions I found the picture image to have that 3D quality. That is an indication of very good picture quality. I have no doubt this is a very, very impressive LCD TV and for the price I got it for it is a steal! Stop thinking about it and buy one already...:D

Great first impressions review of your 700a! After three years of waiting, you've done well in jumping in when you did. I did exactly the same, and am enjoying the clarity and motion control of this Panasonic. The smaller size plus the technology also make SD material look great, as I mainly watch SD TV and DVD's. I also rarely use the Dynamic mode, and often find in low ambient light Cinema mode produces the most natural picture.

The official RRP's are still higher, but what I advised are the go prices, like what you'd expect to see in catalogues soon. I did say what you "should" see in stores, so some retailers might not budge on their current floor price, or be like Harvey's and still have the old full RRP as the ticket price...

I'd say Good Guys got word of the price drops about the same time Skin purchased...

Brazzwald

coming from you???!!!!!

Haha...Well I did eventually.

Hey roxy29, are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the black levels between your Plasma and LCD? Perhaps use the same scene from a DVD in a well lit and then totally dark room and just give us your impressions of the differences. I think it may help those people who are trying to decide between the 42 inch plasma and the 32 inch LCD.

Hi there folks - great forum: this topic has helped me hugely!!!

I am at the verge of getting the 70A or 700A. It sounds like the 700A is worth the extra $200, but does it have an optical digital audio out? The comparison on the Panasonic web site says it doesn't. Can someone confirm for me please?

Cheers, Fazza.

Haha...Well I did eventually.

Hey roxy29, are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the black levels between your Plasma and LCD? Perhaps use the same scene from a DVD in a well lit and then totally dark room and just give us your impressions of the differences. I think it may help those people who are trying to decide between the 42 inch plasma and the 32 inch LCD.

That would be great if that could be done. :)

The room i want the tv has moderate light. I use a 60watt globe in the room so there is light but it aint lit up like a christmas tree or anything :)

Hi there folks - great forum: this topic has helped me hugely!!!

I am at the verge of getting the 70A or 700A. It sounds like the 700A is worth the extra $200, but does it have an optical digital audio out? The comparison on the Panasonic web site says it doesn't. Can someone confirm for me please?

Cheers, Fazza.

The 700a most certainly does and I'm using it now. I never use TV speakers as I have a home theatre set-up. I'm outputting the TVs digital tuner audio to my amp and listening to it via my home theatre speakers.

Go the 700a dude, you won't regret it. It's a much nicer looking TV, the all black look is very striking and expensive looking. I hate silver bits...

Just so i know what i'm talking about when I go in tomorrow to try and buy one.

Is the $1799 700A, a RRP from Panasonic? Should that be expected country wide?

Cheers

Panasonic website now updated. New RRP's:

700A - $1,999

Plus 70A - $1,759 (32) and $1,549 (26).

It's going to be tough to get your hands on one of these now unless they have a sh*tload of stock! Would easily have to be the best value LCD now overall, even though it is at the top end of the market.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a 700A for my parents whose old 48cm TV is on its way out. They're in their 80's so need a big screen to see it clearly and a plasma would be too big (for the space they have). I like the SD slot in the 700A which would allow them to play a slide show of photos (they have a small digital photo frame at the moment).

However, due to their age, I'd first like to make sure it easy to use. Can anyone who has this TV confirm that the remote is easy to use for the TV and slide show operations. I.e. there is not a complicated menu system to go through to view.

Also do you have any measurements for the size of the box it comes in? We have a Mazda 3 sedan and would like to know if the box'll fit in or whether we'd need to unpack it first.

Finally, I see most of the good prices quoted have been in Sydney or Melbourne. Can any one in Brisbane let me know the price they paid and where.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a 700A for my parents whose old 48cm TV is on its way out. They're in their 80's so need a big screen to see it clearly and a plasma would be too big (for the space they have). I like the SD slot in the 700A which would allow them to play a slide show of photos (they have a small digital photo frame at the moment).

However, due to their age, I'd first like to make sure it easy to use. Can anyone who has this TV confirm that the remote is easy to use for the TV and slide show operations. I.e. there is not a complicated menu system to go through to view.

Also do you have any measurements for the size of the box it comes in? We have a Mazda 3 sedan and would like to know if the box'll fit in or whether we'd need to unpack it first.

Finally, I see most of the good prices quoted have been in Sydney or Melbourne. Can any one in Brisbane let me know the price they paid and where.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Hi Graham,

The box is approx 101cm long, 41cm wide and 75cm high. It is light enough to be easily lifted by one person and the box is just small enough to be picked up by one person. The TV comes with the stand attatched so it is just a matter of lifting it out and placing in where it has to go.

Set up was easy. Plug everything in. Turn it on. Select your state. It then auto tunes and away you go. Furthermore you can create four favourite lists of channels and name them what you like. I have a SD TV list and a HD TV list. It gets rid of all the channel double ups created during tuning.

The remote has BIG clearly marked buttons. I reckon it would be pretty senior citizen friendly.

SD card reading works like this:

1) Insert the card into the card slot in the side of the TV.

2) Press the SD card button on the remote.

3) A 3x4 grid of photos appears and you can choose which you want to view with the arrow buttons on the remote or view a slide show.

4) To view a slide show follow steps 1 and 2 then select the first photo you want to view and press the red button. Press the OK button to pause. It's that simple.

You can also access the menu to change the slide show speed and if it repeats or not.

This would be an excellent TV for your parents. I'm actually considering recommending it to mine! :D

Edited by skinXBWAU

Hi "skinXBWAU"

The remot has BIG clearly marked buttons. I reckon it would be pretty senior citizen friendly.

SD card reading works like this:

1) Insert the card into the card slot in the side of the TV.

2) Press the SD card button on the remote.

3) A 3x4 grid of photos appears and you can choose which you want to view with the arrow buttons on the remote or view a slide show.

4) To view a slide show follow steps 1 and 2 then select the first photo you want to view and press the red button. Press the OK button to pause. It's that simple.

You can also access the menu to change the slide show speed and if it repeats or not.

This would be an excellent TV for your parents. I'm actually considering recommending it to mine! :D

Thanks for the reply and your info, it helps. From what you've described it seems like it's not too difficult to use. I suppose I should go to a store and have a play myself to get the idea.

Thanks again,

Graham