Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

Ok, first impressions of the TX-32LXD700a...

I just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth on SD DVD (upscalling DVD player - see sig).

Firstly, the out of the box settings are not the best. The picture is very bright and doesn't look quite right. I've used the settings that I posted earlier in this thread for now and may tweek it later if I think it needs it.

Black levels - Pan's Labyrith has many very dark scenes so it's a great film to test black level performance. For a LCD it is very good. If the picture fills the entire screen it looks better black level wise, than if there are black bars on screen. You can tell there is a backlight, but this is a limitation of the technology. Plasmas have better blacks, that's a fact, but the 700a has very good blacks for an LCD. Shadow detail is pretty good. The blacks don't have that inky black crush effect where all detail is lost. That said, if you only watch TV or DVD's in complete darkness, perhaps you should go for a plasma such as the Panasonic 42 inch 70a instead of a LCD TV.

Intelligent Scene Controller - This tech is active when using the Dynamic picture setting. It is essentially dynamic backlight control intended to increase the contrast ratio by dimming the backlight during darker scenes. Put simply...It doesn't work. Frankly, it annoyed the **** out of me. Imagine scene brightness constantly changing. I found it totally distracting. Hated it.

Motion Picture Pro 100Hz - One word...Wow! This does work and works very well. You know that scene judder effect when watching DVDs where panning shots kind of break up a little? Well this gets rid of that completely. The smoothness is amazing! I love it! When I was looking for it, I noticed a very slight fast-forward like effect for a few brief moments but I only noticed it when I was concentrating on looking for it and not what I was actually watching. Fantastic!

This tech also combats the dreaded LCD motion blur. I haven't noticed any blurring, ghosting or trailing yet. Very impressed.

That's all for now, but I can tell you on quite a few occasions I found the picture image to have that 3D quality. That is an indication of very good picture quality. I have no doubt this is a very, very impressive LCD TV and for the price I got it for it is a steal! Stop thinking about it and buy one already...:D

Edited by skinXBWAU

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Thought I would let you know that the Pana LCD's have just had a price drop for floor price in retail land. Here are the details

26" 70A - $1399

32" 70A - $1599

32" 700A - $1799

These should be the ticketed prices now in the coming days, so you should get even better...

Brazzwald

Just so i know what i'm talking about when I go in tomorrow to try and buy one.

Is the $1799 700A, a RRP from Panasonic? Should that be expected country wide?

Cheers

.... The smoothness is amazing! I love it! When I was looking for it, I noticed a very slight fast-forward like effect for a few brief moments but I only noticed it when I was concentrating on looking for it and not what I was actually watching. Fantastic!

This tech also combats the dreaded LCD motion blur. I haven't noticed any blurring, ghosting or trailing yet. Very impressed.

That's all for now, but I can tell you on quite a few occasions I found the picture image to have that 3D quality. That is an indication of very good picture quality. I have no doubt this is a very, very impressive LCD TV and for the price I got it for it is a steal! Stop thinking about it and buy one already...:D

Great first impressions review of your 700a! After three years of waiting, you've done well in jumping in when you did. I did exactly the same, and am enjoying the clarity and motion control of this Panasonic. The smaller size plus the technology also make SD material look great, as I mainly watch SD TV and DVD's. I also rarely use the Dynamic mode, and often find in low ambient light Cinema mode produces the most natural picture.

The official RRP's are still higher, but what I advised are the go prices, like what you'd expect to see in catalogues soon. I did say what you "should" see in stores, so some retailers might not budge on their current floor price, or be like Harvey's and still have the old full RRP as the ticket price...

I'd say Good Guys got word of the price drops about the same time Skin purchased...

Brazzwald

coming from you???!!!!!

Haha...Well I did eventually.

Hey roxy29, are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the black levels between your Plasma and LCD? Perhaps use the same scene from a DVD in a well lit and then totally dark room and just give us your impressions of the differences. I think it may help those people who are trying to decide between the 42 inch plasma and the 32 inch LCD.

Hi there folks - great forum: this topic has helped me hugely!!!

I am at the verge of getting the 70A or 700A. It sounds like the 700A is worth the extra $200, but does it have an optical digital audio out? The comparison on the Panasonic web site says it doesn't. Can someone confirm for me please?

Cheers, Fazza.

Haha...Well I did eventually.

Hey roxy29, are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the black levels between your Plasma and LCD? Perhaps use the same scene from a DVD in a well lit and then totally dark room and just give us your impressions of the differences. I think it may help those people who are trying to decide between the 42 inch plasma and the 32 inch LCD.

That would be great if that could be done. :)

The room i want the tv has moderate light. I use a 60watt globe in the room so there is light but it aint lit up like a christmas tree or anything :)

Hi there folks - great forum: this topic has helped me hugely!!!

I am at the verge of getting the 70A or 700A. It sounds like the 700A is worth the extra $200, but does it have an optical digital audio out? The comparison on the Panasonic web site says it doesn't. Can someone confirm for me please?

Cheers, Fazza.

The 700a most certainly does and I'm using it now. I never use TV speakers as I have a home theatre set-up. I'm outputting the TVs digital tuner audio to my amp and listening to it via my home theatre speakers.

Go the 700a dude, you won't regret it. It's a much nicer looking TV, the all black look is very striking and expensive looking. I hate silver bits...

Just so i know what i'm talking about when I go in tomorrow to try and buy one.

Is the $1799 700A, a RRP from Panasonic? Should that be expected country wide?

Cheers

Panasonic website now updated. New RRP's:

700A - $1,999

Plus 70A - $1,759 (32) and $1,549 (26).

It's going to be tough to get your hands on one of these now unless they have a sh*tload of stock! Would easily have to be the best value LCD now overall, even though it is at the top end of the market.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a 700A for my parents whose old 48cm TV is on its way out. They're in their 80's so need a big screen to see it clearly and a plasma would be too big (for the space they have). I like the SD slot in the 700A which would allow them to play a slide show of photos (they have a small digital photo frame at the moment).

However, due to their age, I'd first like to make sure it easy to use. Can anyone who has this TV confirm that the remote is easy to use for the TV and slide show operations. I.e. there is not a complicated menu system to go through to view.

Also do you have any measurements for the size of the box it comes in? We have a Mazda 3 sedan and would like to know if the box'll fit in or whether we'd need to unpack it first.

Finally, I see most of the good prices quoted have been in Sydney or Melbourne. Can any one in Brisbane let me know the price they paid and where.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a 700A for my parents whose old 48cm TV is on its way out. They're in their 80's so need a big screen to see it clearly and a plasma would be too big (for the space they have). I like the SD slot in the 700A which would allow them to play a slide show of photos (they have a small digital photo frame at the moment).

However, due to their age, I'd first like to make sure it easy to use. Can anyone who has this TV confirm that the remote is easy to use for the TV and slide show operations. I.e. there is not a complicated menu system to go through to view.

Also do you have any measurements for the size of the box it comes in? We have a Mazda 3 sedan and would like to know if the box'll fit in or whether we'd need to unpack it first.

Finally, I see most of the good prices quoted have been in Sydney or Melbourne. Can any one in Brisbane let me know the price they paid and where.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Hi Graham,

The box is approx 101cm long, 41cm wide and 75cm high. It is light enough to be easily lifted by one person and the box is just small enough to be picked up by one person. The TV comes with the stand attatched so it is just a matter of lifting it out and placing in where it has to go.

Set up was easy. Plug everything in. Turn it on. Select your state. It then auto tunes and away you go. Furthermore you can create four favourite lists of channels and name them what you like. I have a SD TV list and a HD TV list. It gets rid of all the channel double ups created during tuning.

The remote has BIG clearly marked buttons. I reckon it would be pretty senior citizen friendly.

SD card reading works like this:

1) Insert the card into the card slot in the side of the TV.

2) Press the SD card button on the remote.

3) A 3x4 grid of photos appears and you can choose which you want to view with the arrow buttons on the remote or view a slide show.

4) To view a slide show follow steps 1 and 2 then select the first photo you want to view and press the red button. Press the OK button to pause. It's that simple.

You can also access the menu to change the slide show speed and if it repeats or not.

This would be an excellent TV for your parents. I'm actually considering recommending it to mine! :D

Edited by skinXBWAU

Hi "skinXBWAU"

The remot has BIG clearly marked buttons. I reckon it would be pretty senior citizen friendly.

SD card reading works like this:

1) Insert the card into the card slot in the side of the TV.

2) Press the SD card button on the remote.

3) A 3x4 grid of photos appears and you can choose which you want to view with the arrow buttons on the remote or view a slide show.

4) To view a slide show follow steps 1 and 2 then select the first photo you want to view and press the red button. Press the OK button to pause. It's that simple.

You can also access the menu to change the slide show speed and if it repeats or not.

This would be an excellent TV for your parents. I'm actually considering recommending it to mine! :D

Thanks for the reply and your info, it helps. From what you've described it seems like it's not too difficult to use. I suppose I should go to a store and have a play myself to get the idea.

Thanks again,

Graham

ok

just picked one 700a up from Retravision for $1580

I went to Good Guys and they had the price for $1999 then take 15% off

so best price was $1600. They had lots of stock over 20 on the floor

I then went up the road to Retravision and they did not have the model on display

They guy said they might have one out the back so he had a look and said yes

on there and i said Good Guys up the road can do $1600

he then said we can do $1580..I said sold..

now time to setup :)

the TV looked awesome in the stores. The best looking 32''

im still about 4 weeks away from getting my set, but damn they are going for an awesome price at the moment!

you gotta wonder though, how many people just pay what the sticker price is, before coming here, I would have never thought you could get over 15% off.

Ramskii

Both stores are in Hoppers Crossing in Vic. Just along old Geelong Road..

Good Guys lots of stock (in 70A and the new 50'' 700A plasma)

Retravision i dont think has anymore stock.

You should def get for around $1600 easy.

BTW this was cash/credit price with no extended warranty

Ramskii

Both stores are in Hoppers Crossing in Vic. Just along old Geelong Road..

Good Guys lots of stock (in 70A and the new 50'' 700A plasma)

Retravision i dont think has anymore stock.

You should def get for around $1600 easy.

BTW this was cash/credit price with no extended warranty

ahhh thanks for that mate. The gf lives in hoppers so i know exactly where that is. :) Going to myer in chadstone tomorrow so will tell them that info and see what happens. :)

ok

just adjusted the colours on the HD tuner as below

Cinema mode

Contrast At Default

Brightness: -2

Colour: +5

Sharpness: -1

Tint: -4 (if available)

Colour Temperature: Warm

P-NR: Off

Colour Management: Off

it looks nice but it just looks a little warm.. ill run with it for a few days and see how it is.

All this LCD needs is a PVR built in and it would be an even more killer LCD.

Is anyone planning on getting a panasonic DMR- EX87/85/77/75 ?

im tempted to grab one for the PVR, upscaling dvd player and mpg4 off SD cards also to

check out how the vierra link works..

Damn, I had the best price for all of 24 hours! ;) Just wish I knew about that price drop one day sooner.

They are the settings that I've gone with bigg. Make sure you check your settings when you change inputs for the first time as they may revert back to default.

It's a kick arse TV. Played a bit of Xbox 360 today. Not even a hint of motion ghosting on Gears of War. :D

i must say C7 AFL looks very nice tonight. I dont think its HD so im keen to see how 10 HD afl will look.

Also i think Idol on Sunday is HD and 5.1 so that should be interesting with all the colours and movement.

ps. I dont like Idol.. just a good demo for the tv :)

I've been following this thread for so long. Fully intend to get one of these this weekend. Thanks guys/girls for all the valuable advice you have posted. The latest price drop was the clincher! Just one question - any issues with wall mounting this model?

The manual says you need to use an official Panasonic wall mount and a professional installer or void your warranty.

Part number: TY-WK32LR2W