Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

A few people on here have been posting ther picture settings with numbers etc. I cant seem to bring up a numerical value on the picture settings. Can this be turned on? Or are these just from the default settings then you +4 from that etc.

Skin how did you go hooking it up with the vga cables for the 360? Is there much of a difference between that and component? Can you do 1080p with vga?

Yeah, the settings I posted are +/- from default. There are no numerical values and it sucks a bit. It is the same for Panny plasmas.

I haven't got a VGA cable yet and am not sure about 1080p. You can select the output resolution though to 1360 x 768 which should look great.

Edited by skinXBWAU
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what each input is capable of displaying

• 1080p (50Hz /60Hz) is only available through the HDMI inputs
  • Component inputs can do up to 1080i (50Hz /60Hz)
  • The VGA max res is 1,366 x 768 @60Hz

So I wouldn't use VGA for your 360, I'd use component at least then it can do 1080i/720p

As for my picture settings, I'm now using the Cinema preset with Color Management Off on Inputs/DTV/Analogue

Edited by MitchA
Here's what each input is capable of displaying
  • 1080p (50Hz /60Hz) is only available through the HDMI inputs
  • Component inputs can do up to 1080i (50Hz /60Hz)
  • The VGA max res is 1,366 x 768 @60Hz

So I wouldn't use VGA for your 360, I'd use component at least then it can do 1080i/720p

As for my picture settings, I'm now using the Cinema preset with Color Management Off on Inputs/DTV/Analogue

I dissagree. VGA from the Xbox 360 allows you to get very close to the native res of the TV (1360 x 768 vs 1366 x 768) and the TV offers more picture tuning controls via VGA. This should equal the best posible picture via a Xbox 360. I will test this as soon as I can get my hands on a VGA cable for the 360.

Yeah, the settings I posted are +/- from default. There are no numerical values and it sucks a bit. It is the same for Panny plasmas.

I haven't got a VGA cable yet and am not sure about 1080p. You can select the output resolution though to 1360 x 768 which should look great.

yeah poor effort from panasonic then. Even my old crt had numerical values for the settings! :)

Downloaded the sega rally demo lastnight on 360. Wow its looks superb :)

I dissagree. VGA from the Xbox 360 allows you to get very close to the native res of the TV (1360 x 768 vs 1366 x 768) and the TV offers more picture tuning controls via VGA. This should equal the best posible picture via a Xbox 360. I will test this as soon as I can get my hands on a VGA cable for the 360.

I see your point, can the xbox 3560 output at the res? Or is just 576/720/1080?

Hi

I want to buy one of these tv's next week, but I have a question about using a vcr. I have yet to buy a dvd recorder, and I like to tape shows with my vcr. Does this connect up and work the same as usual with the antenna going to the vcr and the vcr going to the tv?

:unsure:

thanks

C

I see your point, can the xbox 3560 output at the res? Or is just 576/720/1080?

You can choose from a number of resolutions when you use the VGA output.

You can only choose standard HDTV resolutions when using other outputs such as Component.

Hi,

I have PS2 connected via composite. The console only outputs in 480 interlaced. Picture doesn't look good even in 4:3.

If PS2 is connected via component will that improve PQ? I'm thinking about Sony cable SCPH-10490. Is it possible to get 576p (SD) game playback?

Hi

I want to buy one of these tv's next week, but I have a question about using a vcr. I have yet to buy a dvd recorder, and I like to tape shows with my vcr. Does this connect up and work the same as usual with the antenna going to the vcr and the vcr going to the tv?

:unsure:

thanks

C

Yes, that will work. Be aware that you'll notice the inferior quality of VCR recorded shows much more readily on this TV, esp if you tape using EP or LP mode on your VCR - I certainly did. You will also have to configure the TV to 4:3 mode to watch your VCR taped shows, otherwise your (4:3 format) recording will be stretched sidewards.

Edited by dvdnovice
Hi,

I have PS2 connected via composite. The console only outputs in 480 interlaced. Picture doesn't look good even in 4:3.

If PS2 is connected via component will that improve PQ? I'm thinking about Sony cable SCPH-10490. Is it possible to get 576p (SD) game playback?

You can only get 480P playback from the PS2 when you use the Component cable, and even then it will only work on the games that have been coded for it.

Hi,

Is it possible to display which HD picture format and date rate is in use?

All my DVB services have been auto detected. How to customise the program allocation, for instance, to store SBS HD to button 1? I can do it with the analogue channels but not with digital.

Thanks.

Hi,

Is it possible to display which HD picture format and date rate is in use?

All my DVB services have been auto detected. How to customise the program allocation, for instance, to store SBS HD to button 1? I can do it with the analogue channels but not with digital.

Thanks.

That's right. I have the 600A and you can't put the channel where you want like in the analogue channels. :angry:

That's right. I have the 600A and you can't put the channel where you want like in the analogue channels. :angry:

Sorry, I'll refrase. You can't place the digital station where you want it to go. A bit of a blow. But I can do it with my el-cheapo Aldi STB.

But you can with the analogue stations.

I was completely sold on the TX-32LXD700A until I noticed quite a few posts on avforums referring to motion blur and "white lines" appearing in fast motion. There's a lot of discussion as to whether the 100hz refresh is to blame and the general consensus amongst the 700/70 owners seems to be that it does more harm than good and they would disable it if they could :unsure:

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

is anyone having the sound breakup problem with the TX-32LXD700 ...

i need to know as i'm going to buy one....

Yes I have experienced it, but strangely as of lately (And being the weekend now I watch more TV than weeknights) I haven't noticed the problem at all.

Still probably the best 32in out there so I still go for one if you can.

Edited by MitchA
I was completely sold on the TX-32LXD700A until I noticed quite a few posts on avforums referring to motion blur and "white lines" appearing in fast motion. There's a lot of discussion as to whether the 100hz refresh is to blame and the general consensus amongst the 700/70 owners seems to be that it does more harm than good and they would disable it if they could :unsure:

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

I haven't seen either motion blur or 'white lines' even once since I bought the TV.

The only issues I have had have been due to the source not the TV.

Just buy it, you won't be sorry.

how do u think it compares to the new release sony BRAVIA LCD KDL32D3100 ....

seen it at jb hifi yesterday looks like a great 32 inch lcd...

which would be the better buy ?

I would say the picture quality is probably fairly similar but in my opinion Sony make fugly looking TVs. I just hate that grey/silver and floation glass look. The Panasonic looks very elegant with its all black design.

Well, I haven't seen as much pixelation/blurring on an LCD as much as I saw it on this tv when watching the AFL yesterday. Trust me, the Sharp 32 inch PD5X looked so much cleaner.. I only returned that to HN because of its poor sound, believing the PQ on this would be better, but it's not.

Well, I haven't seen as much pixelation/blurring on an LCD as much as I saw it on this tv when watching the AFL yesterday. Trust me, the Sharp 32 inch PD5X looked so much cleaner.. I only returned that to HN because of its poor sound, believing the PQ on this would be better, but it's not.

Well the 'pixelation' you mention has been reported on both plasma and crt TVs as well as LCD screens which indicates it is the source (low bandwidth sports broadcasts) not the TV. I have not seen a similar effect on any other source material other than AFL and NRL broadcasts and only during close-ups with the crowd in the background.

I haven't seen either motion blur or 'white lines' even once since I bought the TV.

The only issues I have had have been due to the source not the TV.

There are quite a few discriminating TV owners in this forum, and yet a number have them (including myself) have not seen motion blur or white lines on their 700A.

Could the 'variable' actually be the quality of manufacture from individual TV to TV? It's possible, but unlikely.

I'm inclined to agree it is a source issue. A number of sports broadcasts can have poor compression. Some broadcasts are also not up to the standard that high definition TV's require to display a quality picture. Having said that, I chose the 700A because it displays poorer and average quality SD better than any other TV I'd checked out, including in controlled side-by-side tests.

It would be useful if 700A owners would post their experiences of motion blur, and under what conditions they experience it. People who have problems with the 700A really should look for a solution, including another TV if they can't resolve it in any other way. But what about all the other owners who don't experience motion blur, and actually have improved picture quality with the 700A's 100Hz?

It only blurs on sport in my experience when the crowd is the background, the solid colour of the grass is fine for fast moving objects. It's when a player is running in front of a fence or the crowd you notice some blurring. But I’ve seen this for years on my HD tuner card in my PC with 17in LCD monitor too

There are quite a few discriminating TV owners in this forum, and yet a number have them (including myself) have not seen motion blur or white lines on their 700A.

Thanks for the responses - I reckon it must be the source as suggested. UK digital broadcasts are notoriously poor quality... 700A is back at the top of my list - just down to price now ;)

Unfortunately I actually think now it is not the source but the TV itself. Watched a fair bit of sport over the weekend and it happend on ch 7, 10 for the footy, also on the NRL and the rugby world cup and it was slighty evident on the soccer on foxtel. For a sports fan this is very annoying and distracting. I found myself looking out for it rather than enjoying the footy which was not good. But i still thought it was the quality of the transmission so i thought there was nothing much i could do. This was until I played the demo of pro evolution 2008 on the xbox 360 and found out in some of the close ups these blocks around the players bodies was clearly evident. If somebody can download the demo and watch for the close ups and see what happens that would be great. It doesnt happen in all of the close ups so it may take a couple of games to see this.

It seems to happen when there is a green background ie the grass and when there is a close up of a player in the foreground. I believe it has to do with the 100hz technology and unforunately you cannot turn it off. So now im positive it is the tv and not the quality of the service which is a shame becuase SD is very good and HD looks bloody awesome on this TV :) If your not a sports fan then this is not a problem and id highly recommend it. If you are then id look elsewhere. I will be probably taking it back this weekend and looking at the sony 32inch D series LCD. It has the ability to turn it to Medium and also turn off the 100hz technology.

If somebody can download the demo and watch for the close ups and see what happens that would be great. It doesnt happen in all of the close ups so it may take a couple of games to see this.

It seems to happen when there is a green background ie the grass and when there is a close up of a player in the foreground. I believe it has to do with the 100hz technology and unforunately you cannot turn it off.

I will be probably taking it back this weekend and looking at the sony 32inch D series LCD. It has the ability to turn it to Medium and also turn off the 100hz technology.

I think an interesting test would be to use a TV that can switch the 100hz On and Off, and see if the blocks appear / disappear on close-ups.

I would be very interested to see how much source material is problematic exclusively with 100Hz.

You can swtich off 100Hz temporarily. Hold down the "F" button on top of TV for around 5 secs. then a split screen demo will come up for 100Hz.

Just tried it on Fox Sports 3 (The cricket it on) and it is much better with it on.

Ok, I have a problem.

I just bought a VGA kit for the Xbox 360 and when I set the resolution to 1360 x 768 it does not fill the full screen. There is a strip about 1cm wide running down the right side of the screen that is black.

1280 x 1024 works

1280 x 760 black strip down the right side

1280 x 720 bigger black strip about 1 inch wide down right side

1024 x 768 works

848 x 480 works

640 x 480 works

1920 x 1080 displays a black screen (I expected this result however as the TV does not accept 1080p through VGA)

Someone please help. I can't find a way to fix it through the TV or the Xbox 360. This really sucks!

EDIT Stand down...fixed it. Menu > Setup > PC Setup > H-pos

Edited by skinXBWAU

Ok, I have briefly tested the Xbox 360 through VGA and can report on the following:

The TV seems to accept signals at 1:1 pixel mapping for some resolutions and it scales for others. For example, if you feed it a 640 x 480 signal it will scale it to fit the whole screen, but if you feed it a 1360 x 768 signal it clearly has a black line 3 pixels wide on each side of the screen (TV native res = 1366 x 768). This is great for Xbox 360 gamers as it mean the picture is as sharp and clear as possible. The extra picture control settings are also handy, especially the gamma control. I will need to use a calibration disk to get the most out of it (I will use the one that comes with Halo 3 when I get it). I want to use a mates Xbox 360 so I can do a A:B test with Component and VGA. That way I will be able to make a definitive assessment on what looks best. Stay tuned...

This was taken from a review of the Samsung LE40F86BD from hdtvtest.co.uk

'The second cut shows how the football tears up when it goes past a player's body, creating the impression of a brief judder. Cranking up [100Hz Motion Plus] to "Medium" or "High" only served to amplify the problem. It seems that Samsung's motion estimation algorithm – like all the renditions from Sony, Sharp, Toshiba and Panasonic thus far – still has difficulty determining what should be processed (the ball) and what shouldn't (the body) when both are present within the same field.

To be honest I have seen this very same artifact on Samsung Q97, but whereas there was no way to eradicate the problem on the plasma, all you need to do on the LE40F86BD LCD is to turn off [100Hz Motion Plus]. Even without the help of MCFI, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Samsung LE40F86BD coped with fast-action sports considering that a top tier plasma (Pioneer PDP508XD) was sitting beside it to give me a frame of reference... the days of a smudgy mess on LCD TVs are truly long gone'

I believe if you can turn the 100hz off and on this will stop those 'blocks' everyone is getting. Any chance they would do a software upgrade for this? :)

This was taken from a review of the Samsung LE40F86BD from hdtvtest.co.uk

'The second cut shows how the football tears up when it goes past a player's body, creating the impression of a brief judder. Cranking up [100Hz Motion Plus] to "Medium" or "High" only served to amplify the problem.

This review seems to confirm the problem is present on the Samsung LE40F86BD in its normal state, and when using the 100Hz settings.

You can swtich off 100Hz temporarily. Hold down the "F" button on top of TV for around 5 secs. then a split screen demo will come up for 100Hz.

Can someone use this test on their 700A when they experience 'blocks' in their picture, and see if it is also present without 100Hz? I know it's a rough test, but would at least help confirm if the problem exists both with and without 100Hz as in the Samsung review. I'm very interested in how the Panasonic will handle the problem - I've yet to see it at all.

Edited by tech2002
Can someone use this test on their 700A when they experience 'blocks' in their picture, and see if it is also present without 100Hz? I know it's a rough test, but would at least help confirm if the problem exists both with and without 100Hz as in the Samsung review.

Im going to try this the next time a rugby world cup game is on 10. Anyone know when that is? :)

Hi,

I have noticed blur or pixelation on AFL (worst), rugby WC (medium) and soccer FIFA women (less) also. I'd like to believe it's about signal source. However, having LCD in general fast movement imperfection I'm in doubt. Still, I hope it's related to input HD signal imperfection.

But, why does pixelation not occur on DVD material? Why DVD sport and movie action is perfect ?

Can anyone really report the same issue on plasma?

What is the way to upgrade firmware? There is no serial port or USB port.

Regards