Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused by what you mean by selecting overscan - I do know that I'm able to adjust the position of the pc image on mine thru the settings menu on the tv, would there be a menu setting to adjust the position for the hdmi input? I'm about to go and get a DVI->HDMI cable to connect my HT to the TV, so I can start using a 360 VGA adaptor.

I'll have a look later tonight about the hdmi and see if I can help. I think part of the reason that the hdmi fills the screen better is that it scales the input to the resolution of the screen, whereas it doesn't touch the VGA (analogue) input. Of course I could be way off!!

I have managed to adjust the position of the pc image via the tv settings, so it's almost right, but not quite. It still says the resolution is 1280 x 700 or similiar. If I connect to the Sony 32D it automatically defaults to the correct resolution of 1366 x 768. It seems strange that it won't do that?

I have managed to adjust the position of the pc image via the tv settings, so it's almost right, but not quite. It still says the resolution is 1280 x 700 or similiar. If I connect to the Sony 32D it automatically defaults to the correct resolution of 1366 x 768. It seems strange that it won't do that?

I have the same problem with my laptop now that i think about it I can select the correct resolution (1366x768) on that but only 1024x768 on my laptop. I know that is related to the graphics drivers that are available for my Intel 945 chipset not having widescreen (XGA) capability.

I have the same problem with my laptop now that i think about it I can select the correct resolution (1366x768) on that but only 1024x768 on my laptop. I know that is related to the graphics drivers that are available for my Intel 945 chipset not having widescreen (XGA) capability.

Hmm...interesting, I'm not so sure I have a driver issue as it resolves the correct resolution on some 1366 x 768 LCDs, although perhaps the driver does not recognise it on certain LCDs. I have no idea really!

Uneven brightness on corners

I've done some further investigation on this (see my previous post below). What I did was to make plain colored jpg (black, white, red, blue, yellow, orange) and copy it to my SD card. The size of the jpg is 1366x768 which should cover the entire screen. I used the slide show feature to play it. I noticed there are dark spots on all four corners. The next thing I did was to go to the place where I bought it. The sales guys was kind enough to allow me to test using the SD card on their demo/display unit. I notice the dark corners as well; and the sales guy admits seeing it too (this goes to show that my eyes are not playing tricks on me). I'm wondering now whether this is normal on all Panasonic LCDs. I'd appreciate if you guys test your unit as well and give me some feedback. Many thanks.

Hi All,

I've just recently joined this forum. I'd like to ask whether any of you have experienced a slight brightness drop-off on the corner of the screen. It's slightly noticeable but if I focus my eyes on the upper right corner, the pixels are a bit darker than the rest. It's not very big, probably 1 cm size only. After having noticed this while watching HD channels, I experimented by feeding XGA signal from my laptop; and making my Windows XP desktop all white so I can see the brightness difference. True enough, I could see some slight brightness drop off on the corners. My question is whether this is normal on LCD and should I just ignore it? Should the brightness be even on all areas of the screen (including corners)?

Btw, this unit is new; just bought it last week.

Thanks.

Brightness test on corners -

Unfortunately I don't have an SD media card. However, I was able to search through recorded material on my Panasonic ES55 hard drive, and find actual TV broadcast scenes/screenshots containing completely solid colours. This provided a real-life test to check for uneven brightness when displaying actual TV broadcast material.

I was able to test four solid colours: White, Red, Blue, Grey. There was uniform brightness all the way to the corners of the screen on all these colurs.

It is possible the colours displayed via your SD card may produce an edge effect not seen during regular TV broadcasting. I recommend testing your display using regular TV broadcast material containing solid colours, to see if darker corners also appear as with your SD card.

If you feel the level of brightness variation is not satisfactory, then I would explain this to the store and have it resolved as early as possible.

On the other hand, if it is not too bothersome, I would retain the original set, particularly if it does not have any dead pixels....

Brightness test on corners -

Unfortunately I don't have an SD media card. However, I was able to search through recorded material on my Panasonic ES55 hard drive, and find actual TV broadcast scenes/screenshots containing completely solid colours. This provided a real-life test to check for uneven brightness when displaying actual TV broadcast material.

I was able to test four solid colours: White, Red, Blue, Grey. There was uniform brightness all the way to the corners of the screen on all these colurs.

It is possible the colours displayed via your SD card may produce an edge effect not seen during regular TV broadcasting. I recommend testing your display using regular TV broadcast material containing solid colours, to see if darker corners also appear as with your SD card.

If you feel the level of brightness variation is not satisfactory, then I would explain this to the store and have it resolved as early as possible.

On the other hand, if it is not too bothersome, I would retain the original set, particularly if it does not have any dead pixels....

Hi,

I have also noticed some variation in brightless when viewing pictures using the Television's in-built SD card reader, but not with regular TV broadcasts, HDD recordings or pre-recorded DVDs. So it may have something to do with the SD playback option. Interestingly I've also noticed the same problem on the TV when using my EX-87 to play back pictures from its SD card slot (EX-87 is connected to the 700A via HDMI) but not with other output from the EX-87, so perhaps there is something wrong with the software used to playback pictures from SD cards.

Actually there was some discussion quite awhile back about the quality of the SD Card slot, both when using it for playing back recorded video material and also when displaying photos. It seemed the SD Card slot was more for convenience than for producing high quality images and video on the 700A.

Really haven't had any issue with colour uneveness or darkened areas of the screen on my 700A when viewing DVDs or SD TV.

Hey guys, was directed to this thread from OCAU, and I've been doing a bit of thinking between this or a Dell 27" Display. But, the more thinking I've done, I realised for the application (Foxtel & PS2) and the environment that it will be used in (bedroom, viewed from approx. 2m) , a 32" LCD would be the preference. Since there's been a lot of interest for this display, I was wondering what user's impressions are now that you've had a chance to break it in, and how its compared with other displays? Appreciate your feedback, cheers.

*EDIT* Did a bit of shopping around the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney today, best I could get was just under $1700 incl. extended warranty to 5yrs. Seems like I might wait until some sales pop up before I purchase, in the light of some of the deals members on this forum have grabbed! Couldn't believe Myer trying to flog $400 for extended warranty, though, what a rort!

Edited by F@TMAN

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering what user's impressions are now that you've had a chance to break it in, and how its compared with other displays? Appreciate your feedback, cheers.

I think you'll find some good information if you review the many posts on this forum. I'm certain that people would update if anything has changed from their iniitial impressions on the 700a. It is a fantastic choice for a 32" LCD TV, as it also handles SD very well.

I also don't think a few hunded dollars here or there should make a difference, compared to a TV you're not happy with, or with problems down the road that are unsupported by the manufacturer.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

appreciate your response, tech2002, I got my display up and running yesterday and have to admit I was very happy with it (although I didn't get much of a chance to fiddle with it - that's what weekends are for!). I managed to grab it from DJ's for $1500 incl 5yrs warranty, I guess my hard work paid off! =p

appreciate your response, tech2002, I got my display up and running yesterday and have to admit I was very happy with it (although I didn't get much of a chance to fiddle with it - that's what weekends are for!). I managed to grab it from DJ's for $1500 incl 5yrs warranty, I guess my hard work paid off! =p

Excellent price. I got mine for $1650 (excluding extended warranty) in July, and that was one of the "best prices" then. Make sure you check the version number:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=805776

and if necessary, get the update to fix the "sound breakup" problem:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=805790

Edited by dvdnovice

Sharp price. Any chance of a receipt scan? I just went into Bing Lee (Pitt St mall) and spoke to two very friendly chaps who told me $1500 (incl wty) was below cost for them, so they couldn't do it. If you can give me the receipt, pls send to my DTV username at hotmail. cheers

Just wondering if anyone here has turned down the backlight yet? It can be done through the service menu but apparently it voids your warranty if you stuff something up though. I know how to get in but atm I am too much of a wuss to try it incase something goes wrong haha. Anyone care to be the guinea pig? :D

What are the settings you've used to access the service menu - I've tried a number of settings without success.

Many thanks.

On another note, looks like the Panasonic 37" LCD has arrived in New Zealand. But the specs on the website say it's only a 1366x768 panel. Will try to find a store with a display model and check it out.

http://panasonic.co.nz/product-detail$...#036;.html#tabs

Edited by tech2002

Just wondering if anyone here has turned down the backlight yet?

The default for the backlight is 276, I turned mine down to 256. I can now turn brightness and contrast up without blowing away detail in the whites and the whites are now far easier on the eyes.

I also reduced the red-gain from FF to F6, the reds just seemed to be grossly oversaturated. And I wonder why it would be turned up to the maximum anyway, the other colours are not. Faces now have a more natural colour.

If anyone can figure out how to turn off the auto backlight dimming, please post.

edit: turned down backlight to 256 not 250.

Edited by Frained

What are the settings you've used to access the service menu - I've tried a number of settings without success.

Many thanks.

http://panasonic.co.nz/product-detail$...#036;.html#tabs

I tried accessing it by holding -/v in while pressing zero on the remote. It has worked for other ppl so i assumed it would work for me. No luck atm though. :)

Frained can you tell us how you accessed the service menu?

cheers

Frained can you tell us how you accessed the service menu?

I should have mentioned this when someone asked before. Our 32lxd700A are different to the UK 32lxd700, they press the "0"(zero) on the remote, we press the "i"(info).

so, press and hold -/V on the TV while clicking "i"(info) on the remote 3 times in quick succession.

edit: Fiddling around inside the service menu can seriously screw your TV not to mention the warranty. I would suggest recording the default settings on paper before making any changes and put the paper away in a safe place for future reference.

Edited by Frained

Purchased 8 Nov 2007 from GG Alexandria for $1565 incl 5yr wty. Shopped around at various places and best alternative offer was $1560 from Bing Lee (but the salesman was a polesmoker). GG offered TV alone for $1350, and cash deal (i.e. no Visa card) with wty for $1550. Salesman (who was the store manager) told me that at $1550 he was making $13 on the TV, and he seemed like a fairly honest chap. He also seemed to know a lot about various places' 5yr wtys, how much each one cost, which was better than which, and why. Perhaps unsurprisingly he said GG's was the best and BL's (which BL only charge $120 for- compared to $300 'standard price' for GG's) was junk!

Thanks to all posters for price guidance, it certainly helped me get a price I'm satisfied with.

I should have mentioned this when someone asked before. Our 32lxd700A are different to the UK 32lxd700, they press the "0"(zero) on the remote, we press the "i"(info).

so, press and hold -/V on the TV while clicking "i"(info) on the remote 3 times in quick succession.

edit: Fiddling around inside the service menu can seriously screw your TV not to mention the warranty. I would suggest recording the default settings on paper before making any changes and put the paper away in a safe place for future reference.

thanks for that mate. Turned it down to 250 and now the whites are much better I must say. Blacks dont seem to be any darker though. PPl on the uk forums have turned it down to 200 so i might try that.

I bought this TV a few days ago to pair with my PS3 for gaming. I compared it with my sony CRT (hr36)

1. Motion handling - superb

2. Color fidelity - superb

3. Blacks- I have to admit coming from CRT the blacks were piss poor. In fact i was in shock but I guess thats to be expected.

4. BLU RAY - saw Ratatouille last night and the picture quality is on a par with CRT but richer, more vibrant colors but worse blacks than CRT

Are there any service menu tinkerings that can improve the blacks??