Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

Just picked me up a 700a today - I love Harvey Normans 20% off sales. Picked up the TV and warranty for 5 years for $1579. Pretty happy.

Now, a question for you all - do you suggest I get the new updates that a lot of you have done via the SD card upgrade ( and not just for the free SD card). I haven't even turned mine on yet, but I'm thinking the new new firmware would be beneficial.

Any thoughts?

Also, does everyone agree with those settings from a couple of pages ago?

And so that it's all in the one place, normal viewing settings for TV and DVDs is:

Cinema mode

Contrast = Default setting

Brightness -2

Colour +5

Sharpness -1

Tint -4 (if available)

Colour Balance = Warm

Colour Management = Off

MPEG NR = Off

All these settings are denoted as button presses from default values

This post has been edited by skinXBWAU: Sep 27 2007, 04:46 PM

Thank you

Edited by ghostmo

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I've just recently joined this forum. I'd like to ask whether any of you have experienced a slight brightness drop-off on the corner of the screen. It's slightly noticeable but if I focus my eyes on the upper right corner, the pixels are a bit darker than the rest. It's not very big, probably 1 cm size only. After having noticed this while watching HD channels, I experimented by feeding XGA signal from my laptop; and making my Windows XP desktop all white so I can see the brightness difference. True enough, I could see some slight brightness drop off on the corners. My question is whether this is normal on LCD and should I just ignore it? Should the brightness be even on all areas of the screen (including corners)?

Btw, this unit is new; just bought it last week.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I've just recently joined this forum. I'd like to ask whether any of you have experienced a slight brightness drop-off on the corner of the screen. It's slightly noticeable but if I focus my eyes on the upper right corner, the pixels are a bit darker than the rest. It's not very big, probably 1 cm size only. After having noticed this while watching HD channels, I experimented by feeding XGA signal from my laptop; and making my Windows XP desktop all white so I can see the brightness difference. True enough, I could see some slight brightness drop off on the corners. My question is whether this is normal on LCD and should I just ignore it? Should the brightness be even on all areas of the screen (including corners)?

Btw, this unit is new; just bought it last week.

Thanks.

Cant say that Ive noticed this problem nate and Im very picky when it comes to these things :) Went back to HN yesterday and swapped it over for another though for different reasons :). There was a high pitch buzzing noise which was annoying as hell watching TV at night even from 2/3 metres away. Anyone else had that problem before?

Regarding the SD card mine was sent out last wednesday by panasonic and havent had the sound break up since. So defitnetly worth ringing up and getting it sent out.

What is this SD card update that you guys are referring to?

Should I be looking into it? I only use my 700A for playing Xbox360.

Thanks in advance.

have a look at this post - it has the links and info relating to the fix.

I am going to try it out when I get home tonight - curious to see if i can notice any difference, mainly use for 360 too...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=55428

The firmware works on all 7 series Panasonic TV's (Both LCD and Plasma) and there's no risk in upgrading it.

However unless you have the 700A, you'll need to get to the back of your TV and use the SD service port

Edited by MitchA

There was a high pitch buzzing noise which was annoying as hell watching TV at night even from 2/3 metres away. Anyone else had that problem before?

Of the many hundreds of posts on the LXD700 at the UK AVforum, there were a limited number commenting on the buzzing coming from the rear of the panel:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=242

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=258

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=639

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....d700&page=2

An LXD70 series thread appears to have more posts on this subject:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....d700&page=4

Of the many hundreds of posts on the LXD700 at the UK AVforum, there were a limited number commenting on the buzzing coming from the rear of the panel:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=242

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=258

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=639

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....d700&page=2

An LXD70 series thread appears to have more posts on this subject:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....d700&page=4

cheers thanks for that. Seems to be pot luck whether you have a buzzer or not. Looks like I was the unlucky one :( The new one though doesnt buzz at all so thankgod I took it back in time. Only had 3 days left before I could exchange it though apparently! :)

Thanks barak.

Not sure if I want to risk updating my TV as so far I have had zero issues with it, maybe because I only use it for 360.

My Parents may be interested in it though as they have this TV as well.

Just to follow up - applied the update - Simpsons reminded me - and it all worked sweet!

Thanks to all who make TV-life so easy here. Bought the TV based on reading here, have noticed the Channel 10 issue for a while, come here looking for confirmation plus I get the firmware update and instructions all linked and over and done with in 15 minutes. Outstanding.

i don't know how you guys (which ever tv you're after) are getting good deals from the goodguys. was there yesterday, (again) to find a tv for my mother. hers kinda blew up. restricted by measurement, found 1 at gg, while they were pricing that i also asked about this tv .i thought what the heck, if the price is right.. anyway first he goes to the 70a and asks have you seen a lower price than this. told him he had the wrong tv and i had a catalouge at home from a different store for $1699 for the 700a. couldn't/ wouldn't match. let alone deal. thats 3 out of 3 they blew. they were usless on my sammy too. mums tv gets delivered today. from a different store even with delivery it's cheaper. and as for the other, it will eventully find a tv for daughter, not neccessarily this one.but the gg's? i won't even bother.

i don't know how you guys (which ever tv you're after) are getting good deals from the goodguys. was there yesterday, (again) to find a tv for my mother. hers kinda blew up. restricted by measurement, found 1 at gg, while they were pricing that i also asked about this tv .i thought what the heck, if the price is right.. anyway first he goes to the 70a and asks have you seen a lower price than this. told him he had the wrong tv and i had a catalouge at home from a different store for $1699 for the 700a. couldn't/ wouldn't match. let alone deal. thats 3 out of 3 they blew. they were usless on my sammy too. mums tv gets delivered today. from a different store even with delivery it's cheaper. and as for the other, it will eventully find a tv for daughter, not neccessarily this one.but the gg's? i won't even bother.

I think it varies across different stores. One of the GGs here in Adel had the 700a listed at $2020 :blink: last week, and the best deal they could do was $1620. Another GG was willing to sell it for $1600. That seems like a massive reduction but other stores (HN, Myer) had the 700a for the ticketed price of $1799. I got mine at Myer instead for $1550, probably could have gone a little lower.

Just to follow up - applied the update - Simpsons reminded me - and it all worked sweet!

Hi Barak,

Glad the update worked. I have to say that Panasonic took quite a long time to get back to me about sending me the upgrade on SD card, so I'm glad I did the upgrade myself using the files provided by others on the forum (via the 70A thread)

Isn't that updated firmware for the 70A and not the 700A?

Hi uthmani,

If you look at the documentation that comes with the upgrade, it clearly states that the upgrade is for all LCD and plasma TVs of the "7" range (ie. 7A, 70A, 700A in both PX and LX models). The link to the documentation is

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=803250

That was what convinced me to download the file and apply the upgrade.

Edited by dvdnovice

Thanks to all who make TV-life so easy here. Bought the TV based on reading here, have noticed the Channel 10 issue for a while, come here looking for confirmation plus I get the firmware update and instructions all linked and over and done with in 15 minutes. Outstanding.

Thanks to you as well. I also bought the 700A from reading here. Assuming from your post you downloaded the S/W update. Did your downloaded file get a .txt extension, and if so did you remove it before downloading ? The file I received was "SDDL.SEC.txt".

Tested it on Eveybody Loves Raymond, sound issue nowhere to be seen in the credits where it used to appear.

As for the "SDDL.SEC.txt", it's just being renamed with txt as it's not a recognized extension, just take off the .txt and put it on an SD card

I was going to buy this TV today, but since it will double as 2nd monitor I wanted to make sure that my MacbookPro connected all ok.

Using the VGA port it initially detected the resolution at 800 x 600. I was able to get this closer to the native resolution on the TV (1366 x 768) by selecting 1280 x 700, but this still left me with some black borders. I also tried using the HDMI port, this was probably slightly better and when selecting overscan it was nearly perfect except the perimter of the screen was missing by about 1cm. I thought that this TV had 1:1 pixel mapping - shouldn't that ensure the correct resolution? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? (Preferably a non-software fix, maybe just a setting I've got wrong?

On the other hand when connected to the Sony 32D3100 the resolution was detected perfectly. But I don't want the Sony for a variety of reasons.

Cheers

Using the VGA port it initially detected the resolution at 800 x 600. I was able to get this closer to the native resolution on the TV (1366 x 768) by selecting 1280 x 700, but this still left me with some black borders. I also tried using the HDMI port, this was probably slightly better and when selecting overscan it was nearly perfect except the perimter of the screen was missing by about 1cm. I thought that this TV had 1:1 pixel mapping - shouldn't that ensure the correct resolution? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? (Preferably a non-software fix, maybe just a setting I've got wrong?

Cheers

I'm a little confused by what you mean by selecting overscan - I do know that I'm able to adjust the position of the pc image on mine thru the settings menu on the tv, would there be a menu setting to adjust the position for the hdmi input? I'm about to go and get a DVI->HDMI cable to connect my HT to the TV, so I can start using a 360 VGA adaptor.

I'll have a look later tonight about the hdmi and see if I can help. I think part of the reason that the hdmi fills the screen better is that it scales the input to the resolution of the screen, whereas it doesn't touch the VGA (analogue) input. Of course I could be way off!!