Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

I just calibrated the VGA input on the 700a for the Xbox 360 using the calibration tool that came with Halo 3. If you are interested, it is actually a pretty good (and cute) calibration tool however you can not calibrate the colour as a blue filter (which the tool asks you to use) is not included with the package. Apparently you have to buy it from Bungie at a later date when it is available. Huh?

Luckily I had a filter from a DVE calibration disk and used that instead.

These are my VGA input picture settings for use with the Xbox 360...Man I wish there were number values, it would make this so much easier.

Menu>Picture>

Viewing Mode = Cinema

Contrast = Maximum

Brightness = +6 from left

Colour = -12 from right

Sharpness = +2 from left

Colour Balance = Warm

Advanced PC Settings

R-Gain = Full right

G-Gain = Full right

B-Gain = Full right

Gamma = 2.5

Menu>Setup>PC Setup>

Input Resolution = WXGA

Clock = Centre

H-pos / V-pos set so that picture is central. No gap at top or bottom, 3 pixel gap at left and right of screen.

Clock Phase = Centre

Sync = H & V

H-freq = 47.7 kHz

V-freq = 60.0 Hz

And so that it's all in the one place, normal viewing settings for TV and DVDs is:

Cinema mode

Contrast = Default setting

Brightness -2

Colour +5

Sharpness -1

Tint -4 (if available)

Colour Balance = Warm

Colour Management = Off

MPEG NR = Off

All these settings are denoted as button presses from default values

Edited by skinXBWAU

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread - took some wading through.

I am almost finished a dining room renovation - large room - say 8 x 5 m.

with the input from this thread I intend to get a 700a and couple it to a Panasonic DVD Recorder - (87).

Because the room is quite an austere minimalist style the simplicity of the hdmi connexions appeal.

I will be able to burn dvd's if I want to and take that material downstairs to the HT room.

Because we will be spending time in HK at the end of next month I will pick up the recorder there and the panel when we get home.

Thanks for the thread.

MC DUI, my advice would be to buy an Official Microsoft VGA Kit (https://ssl.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=25011).

It is worth the investment and will give in my opinion, the best Xbox 360 picture possible with this TV. Just the difference adjusting the Gamma makes is worth the change alone.

Yeah I probably will eventually.

Anybody got an update as to what people are paying for this TV at the moment?

Best price I had seen a few pages back was around $1,550.

My mum was going to get me to go and buy her one of these TV's at the weekend so any updates on pricing (and store type) would be great.

I have modified my picture settings again for the VGA input connected to the Xbox 360.

I have now set the Colour Balance to Normal and minimised the Brightness and Maximised the Contrast. I have set the Gamma to 2.2 to compensate.

I found the game too dark in places and the reds far too red for my tastes.

The 360 has a few picture settings and doesn't really explain what they do. I am experimenting...

The cheapest I could get the 700A for was $1600 at HN.

I was buying a bunch of kitchen stuff for the new house in Retravision and they had a Palsonic (not Panasonic) 81cm LCD on display. The picture was very crisp and clear. Because we were buying 6 grand worth of kitchen things they said I could have the Palsonic for $1457 (RRP $1699). I said no thanks. Went back yesterday to finalise the kitchen stuff and a different guy saw me eyeing off the Pana 7A at $1999. He wouldn't do any better but said I could have the Palsonic for $1299.

I wanted the 700A but I couldn't justify the extra $300 for it. The tv will only be used by me for 6 months of 360 gaming and then it will go into the bedroom. So I took the Palsonic (TFTV81HDT). Set it up last night using HDMI with my 360 and wow, what a great picture on it. I haven't changed any of the settings because it looks great as it is.

The build quality appears quite good and the menu is easy to use for tuning, settings etc and it has a 3 year warranty.

I did want the 700A but I am happy with this.

I have modified my picture settings again for the VGA input connected to the Xbox 360.

I have now set the Colour Balance to Normal and minimised the Brightness and Maximised the Contrast. I have set the Gamma to 2.2 to compensate.

I found the game too dark in places and the reds far too red for my tastes.

The 360 has a few picture settings and doesn't really explain what they do. I am experimenting...

Just ordered the VGA cable today. I may need help setting it up so prepare for some questions mate :)

Just ordered the VGA cable today. I may need help setting it up so prepare for some questions mate :)

No worries, it's pretty easy. I'm looking at getting a Xbox HD-DVD drive and a copy of the HD version of DVE to calibrate it with. Hopefully, that combination will give me the best possible picture setup.

Must say I am reasonably happy with mine, but its not a patch on my Pio plasma. Too many image problems on sports programs such as blurring and pixelation around the players when they move quickly, otherwise its a good second TV to watch Foxtel on and that is all I wanted really anyway. Wouldn't rave about it though.

Just thought id update you guys with what happened at HN on friday. I went ther with every intention of taking the panasonic back and exchanging it for the Sony 32D series LCD. SD though was pretty average compared to the 700 even with the ridiculous amount of settings it has still didnt look good to me :) They also showed a highlights package of the football and this same macroblocking was evident aswell. I belive the 100hz was off aswell. So it obviously a quality problem with the transmission. So with the 700 being $500 or so cheaper it was a no brainer :)

Just thought id update you guys with what happened at HN on friday. I went ther with every intention of taking the panasonic back and exchanging it for the Sony 32D series LCD. SD though was pretty average compared to the 700 even with the ridiculous amount of settings it has still didnt look good to me :) They also showed a highlights package of the football and this same macroblocking was evident aswell. I belive the 100hz was off aswell. So it obviously a quality problem with the transmission. So with the 700 being $500 or so cheaper it was a no brainer :)

Don't worry only one season of the Rams in the PL so you won't worry next season ;)

Thanks so much for the update. When the standard of sports broadcasts improves, the PQ will be consistently better.

I've been away for 2 weeks, and am now catching up on the World Rugby I'd recorded to hard drive. Excellent picture on the 700A, and no macroblocking or ghosting.

Also picked up the Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and they are a great match for this TV. Don't even need my Pioneer graphic equaliser, as the Logitechs deliver a rich sound right out of the box. Many thanks to others' recommendations on this forum for the Z-2300 speakers!

Edited by tech2002

Hey guys,

Just purchased the Panasonic 700a from Harvey Norman in Maribrynong VIC (Across the road from Highpoint). Got the price matched ($1500) and also took advantage of an extra 4 years warranty for $150... So in all, $1650 with 5 years warranty. Now i'm just waiting for the new 65nm XBOX 360 and i'll be done!

Cheers.

Thanks for the update. I was getting worried and thinking about changing my 700A for a Sony too. Looks like the title of this thread may still be valid !

I'm going through Pana 2007 Viara Brochure. It says "V-real 2 Processor with Digital Processing chipset 1080p (maintaining original resolution 1920 x 1080) and Digital Mastering Processor 1080p (converts DVD and DVB to 1080p)".

What does it really mean in reality? Has anyone tested with 1080p source (Blue-Ray, HD)?

Don't worry only one season of the Rams in the PL so you won't worry next season ;)

Only 8 games in my friend. We started off slow last season aswell and that ended in promotion! So watch out :D

P.S Vga cable should arrive today. Will see how that goes

Just been using the VGA cable for the xbox and have a sneaky suspicion that the 100hz is turned off using this. If you have the pro evo 2008 demo and switch between component and vga on close ups there is a big difference with that pixelation around the body. It is not evident at all with the vga cable. hmmm interesting indeed :) Have you thought this aswell skin???

Just been using the VGA cable for the xbox and have a sneaky suspicion that the 100hz is turned off using this. If you have the pro evo 2008 demo and switch between component and vga on close ups there is a big difference with that pixelation around the body. It is not evident at all with the vga cable.

If you could post a comparison photo of this at some stage Ramskii, that would reaaly be great.

I use the VGA connection for my PC and also watching movies from the hard drive. This may be a good check on whether 100Hz is at fault for any ghosting / pixelation. Just compare using a DVD sports recording or DVD movie scene, first on DVD player / component input, and then on PC / VGA input.

If you could post a comparison photo of this at some stage Ramskii, that would reaaly be great.

I use the VGA connection for my PC and also watching movies from the hard drive. This may be a good check on whether 100Hz is at fault for any ghosting / pixelation. Just compare using a DVD sports recording or DVD movie scene, first on DVD player / component input, and then on PC / VGA input.

When i get the chance will do mate :)

Forgot to mention also getting some slight motion blur on fifa 08 using the VGA connection which makes me believe even more that it is off. Didnt get any blur using component however.

Well I did consider it as the Xbox 360 only outputs at 60Hz using VGA but it's the same when outputting through Component e.g. 720p at 60Hz. That said, I haven't noticed any motion blurring when using the Xbox 360 via Component or VGA.