Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

Has anyone experienced picture breakup/smearing on certain close-up camera shots with some motion on the TX-32LXD700A? This problem is particularly evident while watching the AFL football on both channel 7 and channel 10 on certain camera zooms where there is signifcant noise/image distortion around the players body.

This is very noticeable and even my six year old daughter wanted to know what was wrong with the television.

I noticed the same problem is reported in the UK => http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....700&page=51

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone experienced picture breakup/smearing on certain close-up camera shots with some motion on the TX-32LXD700A? This problem is particularly evident while watching the AFL football on both channel 7 and channel 10 on certain camera zooms where there is signifcant noise/image distortion around the players body.

This is very noticeable and even my six year old daughter wanted to know what was wrong with the television.

I noticed the same problem is reported in the UK => http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....700&page=51

Nope I haven't noticed that at all. I will look out for it during the next game.

Has anyone experienced picture breakup/smearing on certain close-up camera shots with some motion on the TX-32LXD700A?

I've been watching for this for some time after reading comments on the UK forum, but have not had this appear on my 700A on SD TV.

It seems one explanation is simply not enough data coming through the TV transmission, and mainly on sports telecasts.

Some HD sports telecasts apparently have poor compression, and it may also be a case of not enough data coming through on a particular close-up, action shot or camera pan - when a lot of information is needed.

It's apparently frustrating to those who mainly watch sports. Would be interesting to hear from those who have seen it, and their opinion.

Just want to thank you all for the great info. I first found out about this great TV a couple of weeks ago from a very informative salesperson at Good Guys in Brighton. Got him to give me his card and phoned today asking for his best price on a 32" 700A. Just said I had been shopping around so was expecting something reasonable. $1680 was the reply which is just fine for me so made a credit card deposit over the phone. Looking forward to watching the footy finals on the weekend.

Picked up a 32" 700A from Clive Peters in Richmond on Friday night for $1540. Looks great. The built in tuner and speakers work very well. Sometimes just been using that instead of my HTPC with a Nova T500 tuner card and Pioneer amp. Highly recommend.

Looks like the 700a is becoming very popular with forum members...Quite a few of us own one now. :D

Bought a Xbox 360 today with Bioshock...Looks insanely good! Not a hint of motion artifacts or any issues at all. I wanted to buy a VGA adapter to take advantage of the extra picture control options but I couldn't find anywhere that stocked them. I will order one on the net soon and will be interested to see if there is any difference in picture quality. I should be able to do a A:B test on the 700a with a mates Xbox 360.

I purchased this TV 2 weeks ago from Bing Lee for $1850 with 4 years additional warranty.

Thanks to all (especcially SKIN) who reviewed and recommended this telly, its ace.

In response to to those experiencing digitization on close ups while watching AFL & NRL, I think I experienced the same.

It seems to be when the focus is on the player and the camera following him, with the crowd in the backround. The contrast of the two seems too much for the tuner (I have 10/10 signal strength here so I eliminated reception to be the issue)

After playing around with a couple of settings, I found switching colour management off helped, I have the picture setting at Auto while watching sport BTW.

Not entirely sure yet, but a bit of noise reduction doesn't seem to go astray while watching Rugby?

This discussion has been SO much help. Thank you! After much research on my own, I came to this forum for more feedback, and invaluable posts on pricing (how much and where), went along to Good Guys, Hoppers Crossing, and bought the Panasonic TX-32LXD700a for $1550, plus a Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD/HDD recorder for $600. Staff were very pleasant; display room awesome. Used credit card, no problem. Extremely happy with both items -work well together. HD (of course) is especially stunning. So far I have watched an AFL match on 10-SD, then another on 10-HD, a movie on SBS-HD, and then a recording of a rugby match on the recorder (SD). HD is like being there. Even SD has wonderful depth, and feeling of space. Very deep blacks - the MCG crowd scenes on 10-HD last night were unbelievably clear.

I do not understand the various picture setting options yet (e.g. noise reduction) - only default setting I have changed is "viewing mode" to "normal', and "colour management" to off (so it stays normal - ?).

Looking forward to hearing advice!

Edited by antskip

Saw an ad on TV last night (Melb). HN is offering double warrranty on all Plasmas and LCDs at the moment (ie. 2 yrs warranty = 4 yrs warranty). So, check it out if you're intending to purchase additional warranty with it. Could save you approx $150.

1) How would this TV (the LCD one of course) compare to the widescreen Samsung CRT? (which has 100hz too i believe)?

2) Would this be a good TV for the smallish-like loungeroom of an apartment/flat? I live in such a place.

3) Is there any counter to the lack of black-detail when there is no lights on? Like say fitting some sort of ambilight around/near the TV?

4) What is the average lifespan of this TV?

5) The average shadow-detail that skinXBWAU mentioned in his review when watching the DVD of "Children of Men" - would it be as bad on the HD-DVD version of the movie, or better (meaning more detail, of course)?

1) How would this TV (the LCD one of course) compare to the widescreen Samsung CRT? (which has 100hz too i believe)?

2) Would this be a good TV for the smallish-like loungeroom of an apartment/flat? I live in such a place.

3) Is there any counter to the lack of black-detail when there is no lights on? Like say fitting some sort of ambilight around/near the TV?

4) What is the average lifespan of this TV?

5) The average shadow-detail that skinXBWAU mentioned in his review when watching the DVD of "Children of Men" - would it be as bad on the HD-DVD version of the movie, or better (meaning more detail, of course)?

1) How big is the CRT TV? In my experience you can get quite a bit of geometry warping around the edges of large (80cm) CRT TV. The CRT should kill the LCD in Black Levels and Black Detail but your best bet is a side by side comparison.

2) Yes...probably. Go have a look at one and measure up your room.

3) Not really.

4) No idea...Same as other LCDs, you will probably upgrade before it dies.

5) This could be my DVD player and not the TV. So far, no one has metioned that they have seen the same thing on their 700a. I have noticed ghosting during dark scenes on just about every SD DVD I have tried so far.

Edited by skinXBWAU

I do not understand the various picture setting options yet (e.g. noise reduction) - only default setting I have changed is "viewing mode" to "normal', and "colour management" to off (so it stays normal - ?).

Looking forward to hearing advice!

I find myself changing between Normal & Cinema Modes (Turning Colour Management Off For Both). I find normal works well for HD broadcasts & Cinema for SD, Optus Digital & DVD Playback. Auto can help with black levels but removes some of the details of finer objects.

I find Colour Management displays unrealistic colours. Try it while watching the Rugby World Cup and you loose distinction between the colour of the grass.

Nosie reduction can remove the "jagged edges" of some pictures with a compromise, you lose detail of the picture so I think it's best to leave it off.

Thanks, MitchA! I will check your settings out...

I am still overwhelmingly amazed with the 700A. Watched a HD movie last night. Sound also was incredible.

I find myself changing between Normal & Cinema Modes (Turning Colour Management Off For Both). I find normal works well for HD broadcasts & Cinema for SD, Optus Digital & DVD Playback. Auto can help with black levels but removes some of the details of finer objects.

I find Colour Management displays unrealistic colours. Try it while watching the Rugby World Cup and you loose distinction between the colour of the grass.

Nosie reduction can remove the "jagged edges" of some pictures with a compromise, you lose detail of the picture so I think it's best to leave it off.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but if you hold the 'F' button on the TV for about 5 secs the TV gives you a demo of 100Hz Motion Scanning & Intelligent Scene Controller

Wow! That's awesome! Especially the scrolling text for the 100hz demo. They should have that running in all the TV retailers.

The Sammy CRT I have is 32" (about 80cm like was said). Though in the many months of having it, I have no idea what this "geometry warping" thing is. It is quite good at doing black level and detail though.

You wont generally notice it during normal motion picture viewing but if you display something with straight lines down the sides of the screen near the edge or across the top and bottom near the side of the screen you will most likely notice the edge isn't straight. If it warps in areas, that is geometry warping. It is a weekness of the technology caused by the shape of the TV tube. If you have a digital STB that displays a panel along the bottom of the screen when you change channels or watch a news show with a news ticker along the bottom of the screen, you may notice it. Games are a good test as you can usually move the view around to get straight vertical and horizontal lines close to the edges of the screen.

You wont generally notice it during normal motion picture viewing but if you display something with straight lines down the sides of the screen near the edge or across the top and bottom near the side of the screen you will most likely notice the edge isn't straight. If it warps in areas, that is geometry warping. It is a weekness of the technology caused by the shape of the TV tube. If you have a digital STB that displays a panel along the bottom of the screen when you change channels or watch a news show with a news ticker along the bottom of the screen, you may notice it. Games are a good test as you can usually move the view around to get straight vertical and horizontal lines close to the edges of the screen.

A few games seem to have produced this (Ace Combat 0, Mortal Kombat Armageddon) when put through the PS2 via Component. But since it hasn't affected what I see on the TV, or my ability to play the game, it hasn't concerned me.

The hotspot problem it had when I first bought it (bright red/orange patch in a corner) did though, bit it was fixed. It is why I'm after shielded speakers and a shielded subwoofer, so that another hotspot problem does not resurface. Oddly enough, said hotspot was not visible on completely black pictures.

rebate came. so of i trot. ticketed price $1999. told sales person that i wasn't quite ready yet, but if the price was good enough i'd buy today. off he goes to see his boss to see what they could do..........gone a good five minutes, and i'm thinking c'ap i have to buy it today. offer...................$1820. duh.

rebate came. so of i trot. ticketed price $1999. told sales person that i wasn't quite ready yet, but if the price was good enough i'd buy today. off he goes to see his boss to see what they could do..........gone a good five minutes, and i'm thinking c'ap i have to buy it today. offer...................$1820. duh.

Insulting price as these tv's are down to $1799 ticket price and you should of got it for $1600.

I hope you didnt buy it for 1820?