Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must be refering to the 70A, BUT, if he is not & the prices drop down to the "no name brands" I would be getting a little bit sus on either the reseller or the product!

My 2c worth.

Looch

A friend bought a Panasonic 700A (definately the 700 model as I've seen the box and the TV) via the Queensland Public Sector Union "Union Shopper" service for $1450. However when I asked the store he bought it from, they said they could NOT match that price (best they could do was $1550) unless it was ordered directly via that service (for which you have to be a member of the Union). So I think that price is achievable and kudos to Reddigital for getting it directly from JB without using a similar "shopping service" !!!

Either way, it is all good for us, the buyers, and it sounds like if you have even half an idea how to negotiate, you should be able to get this set for a really good price. Which is exactly what I'm planning to do in the next week or so.

...they are probably getting to the stage with LCD tech where the benefits of any future improvements will not be so marked (unless they sort out a way to make blacks really black, which is proving near impossible, as you would suspect with this tech).

I think the best news is the level of quality that is presently available in TV's like the 700A, regardless of a few hundred dollars difference in price.

There seems to be a point where these new TV's meet the real needs of people. After that, they 'improve' with newer models that contain features not really essential, but perhaps 'desirable' to a few people.

The 32" 700A has met my needs very well, in a model I'm happy to use for the next 2-3 years minimum.

BTW this is a great forum for learning about this TV!

What's coming that is causing the price to drop so far so fast?! I'd get this panel without further thought if it hadn't dropped a good 30% within two months of list.

One possibility could be the 37" LCD 1080p, available in eastern Europe as the TX-37LZD70F. IPS presently makes the 1080p 37" panel.

I would guess the size of the viewing room and the price would be two factors to consider in choosing this over the 32" 700A. The big question is its release? Possibly will be in the UK September 2007, but nothing official...

It's going to make it very tough for the new Sony D3100 coming out in October. RRP is $2299, and I cant see anyone getting it for under 2k initially. There's no way its worth an extra $500 over the Panasonic.

Agree, but the RRP's are only $300 apart, and street prices differ greatly from RRP's as we have all seen! The new V300's were no sooner out and you could get them for 20% off normal retail.

What I had read about the Sony's version of the 100Hz tech (at least on an overseas version, US I think) is that the level of effect is adjustable. This, according to the review, was important in the context of different viewing/panel uses, with the full 100Hz (120Hz in the US) being excellent for gaming, but creating a slightly artificial effect with DVD's (I think "Skin" called it a fast forward effect). Once they turned it down a notch, the effect was much more realistic.

You'd think most would find it hard to spend the extra $300 just for this though.

Sorry I haven't posted the link to the Sony review, but I didn't bookmark it and I really need to get back to work!

i was told today that there is possibly a new model coming out and if i wanted this one, to buy it in the next month or two.

A new model? Why, when this one has just come out? What improvements would a new model offer? Who was the source of this info?

It sounds like rumour and innuendo, but stranger things have happened! :rolleyes:

One thing I have noticed with this TV is how usless 1080p would be with a 32 inch TV. I have to stand about 1m away from the screen to start seeing pixels so I would have to get even closer to see them on a 1080p screen. The difference between SD and HD is far less pronounced once you move back past this 1m sweet spot. From my current sitting position (3-4m) SD just looks softer than HD as picture quality for both is brilliant! I have to say again though, the Xbox 360 looks insanely good on this TV. :D Bring on Halo 3!

One thing I have noticed with this TV is how usless 1080p would be with a 32 inch TV.

The 1080p new Panasonic 37" LCD may likely also not be useful. I'd think 40" and more likely 42" would be the minimum screen size to be able to appreciate 1080p, taking into account the normal distance away when viewing.

It would be good to hear from others who have 1080p screens re what would be the minimum practical size.

Edited by tech2002

One thing I have noticed with this TV is how usless 1080p would be with a 32 inch TV. I have to stand about 1m away from the screen to start seeing pixels so I would have to get even closer to see them on a 1080p screen. The difference between SD and HD is far less pronounced once you move back past this 1m sweet spot. From my current sitting position (3-4m) SD just looks softer than HD as picture quality for both is brilliant! I have to say again though, the Xbox 360 looks insanely good on this TV. :D Bring on Halo 3!

Loving the fact that it looks tops on the xbox 360. :wub: Will be using it quite alot with this. Little worried though about purchasing it due to these 'sound problems' im reading in the other thread with the panasonics. A few ppl who have the 70A have experienced this so im guessing the 700A would also be affected. Can anyone confirm this who has it?

Loving the fact that it looks tops on the xbox 360. :wub: Will be using it quite alot with this. Little worried though about purchasing it due to these 'sound problems' im reading in the other thread with the panasonics. A few ppl who have the 70A have experienced this so im guessing the 700A would also be affected. Can anyone confirm this who has it?

I haven't used TV speakers for about 10 years! You should look at investing in some quality loudspeakers and an AVR...Even if you only start with a stereo system or a cheaper all-in-one-box 5.1 solution. Trust me dude, why miss out on surround sound on the Xbox? It's one of the most immersive factors of modern games. Don't waste your time with TV speakers.

Hi All,

I went into my local HN the other day to look at and potentially but this TV however I was a bit disappointed with what I saw.

With the way the local HN is setup I could really only view this tv from about 1m~ away, possibly less, they were showing a marathon of some sort and I could see all sorts of jaggies around the edges of the runners, I compared it to the LG lcd next to it and it was alot better then the LG but still not what I would tolerate for this sort of spending.

Will these jagged edges be noticable at a more realistic viewing distance? (I want it for around 3 metres at the moment).

Should I just go with a 42 inch plasma? -- They are a bit big for my bedroom at the moment, but I can forsee myself moving out in the next 18 months and would be far better in that scenario. Burn In worries me alot, I realize its not a big deal but just need to be careful for first 200 or so hours, however 200 hours is a long time in my reglular viewing (<5 hours a week).

Any comments/opinions or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I went into my local HN the other day to look at and potentially but this TV however I was a bit disappointed with what I saw.

With the way the local HN is setup I could really only view this tv from about 1m~ away, possibly less, they were showing a marathon of some sort and I could see all sorts of jaggies around the edges of the runners, I compared it to the LG lcd next to it and it was alot better then the LG but still not what I would tolerate for this sort of spending.

Will these jagged edges be noticable at a more realistic viewing distance? (I want it for around 3 metres at the moment).

Should I just go with a 42 inch plasma? -- They are a bit big for my bedroom at the moment, but I can forsee myself moving out in the next 18 months and would be far better in that scenario. Burn In worries me alot, I realize its not a big deal but just need to be careful for first 200 or so hours, however 200 hours is a long time in my reglular viewing (<5 hours a week).

Any comments/opinions or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Well 1m is an unrealistic viewing distance for any TV. That distance is about where I can just start to see the pixels on my TV so I guess that would make pictures seem 'jaggie'. The TV was most likely running from a central STB in store, not its own internal tuner. I wouldn't worry about seeing any 'jaggies' at 3m, I sit about that far away and see none.

Im using the speakers on the TV, modtly playing PS3, and have had no probs with the speakers, in fact it sounds superb.

I haven't used TV speakers for about 10 years! You should look at investing in some quality loudspeakers and an AVR...Even if you only start with a stereo system or a cheaper all-in-one-box 5.1 solution. Trust me dude, why miss out on surround sound on the Xbox? It's one of the most immersive factors of modern games. Don't waste your time with TV speakers.

Yeah true. Im looking at the Logitech Z-5500 with the 700A. Can pick them up now for around $400 now. Will these do a good job or is my money better spent elsewhere? I know very little about speakers. Had on old set of logitechs and they did a pretty decent job :D Sorry to go alittle off topic here.

Logitech Z-5500

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers...24&cl=au,en

Ramski, I was contemplating the exact same thing!

But I've decided to go with the Yamaha YHT-185

http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avi...ems/YHT-185.asp

RRP is $599, I'm hoping to pick them up for closer to $480.

I think they will provide a much more balanced sound than the Z-5500's. My friend has the Z-5500's, and although the sub is absolutely amazing (I think it will out punch the Yamaha sub), it comes at the cost of limited mid and high range response. The Logitech's are a high-end PC speaker, while the Yamaha is an entry level Home Theater System.

I also like the fact that the Yamaha has a dedicated amp which would give you the ability to upgrade the speakers later on if you decide to.

Edited by brett174

Ramski, I was contemplating the exact same thing!

But I've decided to go with the Yamaha YHT-185

http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avi...ems/YHT-185.asp

RRP is $599, I'm hoping to pick them up for closer to $480.

I think they will provide a much more balanced sound than the Z-5500's. My friend has the Z-5500's, and although the sub is absolutely amazing (I think it will out punch the Yamaha sub), it comes at the cost of limited mid and high range response. The Logitech's are a high-end PC speaker, while the Yamaha is an entry level Home Theater System.

I also like the fact that the Yamaha has a dedicated amp which would give you the ability to upgrade the speakers later on if you decide to.

haha great minds think alike. thanks for that mate. I was alittle unsure as they are mainly used for PC's. My limit is defintely around $500 so will check out those yamaha's. If you can pick them up for less than $500 they will be on the top of my list :)

Im using the speakers on the TV, modtly playing PS3, and have had no probs with the speakers, in fact it sounds superb.

That's what I have, sounds excellent. Their is a slight echo however when the tv is turned up it sounds like theirs a delay between the tv and the logitechs (the logitechs play the sound a split second before the tv) but that can be adjusted but I've only had an hour or two playing with both of them as I was buggered.

BEST SCREEN SIZE AND RESOLUTION?

In relation to the Panasonic's 700A 32" and the new 1080p 37" LCD that's being released, it's worth reading this article about what screen size and resolution would be optimum at various viewing distances. The link is :

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Here are some statements made about screen resolution and our ability to detect it:

"...Based on the resolving ability of the human eye, it is possible to estimate when the differences between resolutions will become apparent.

...For a 50-inch screen, the benefits of 720p vs. 480p start to become apparent at viewing distances closer than 14.6 feet (4.5m) and become fully apparent at 9.8 feet (3m).

...For the same screen size, the benefits of 1080p vs. 720p start to become apparent when closer than 9.8 feet (3m) and become full apparent at 6.5 feet (2m).

...In my opinion, 6.5 feet (2m) is closer than most people will sit to their 50" plasma TV (even through the THX recommended viewing distance for a 50" screen is 5.6 ft (1.7m)). So, most consumers will not be able to see the full benefit of their 50-inch 1080p TV."

...The Imaging Science Foundation states the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order):

1) contrast ratio,

2) color saturation,

3) color accuracy,

4) resolution..... Resolution is 4th on the list."

This supports what I've experienced regarding other aspects of a TV being far more important than the resolution. It IS a factor, but less so for smaller screens (under 42"), and moreso for large projector screens (65" and above).

Of interest, a chart in this article shows that to fully detect 1080p on a 32" screen (eg 700A), the viewing distance would need to be around 1m.

For a 37" screen, it would be 1.2m, and for a 42" screen it would be 1.7m.

I watch my 700A at 3.5m, as this is comfortable for me. So is certainly food for thought when considering a TV's screen resolution.

Edited by tech2002

Guest Danny Boy

As of September 1, 2007, Japanese customers will be able to purchase a brand new 37-inch Full HD, Panasonic LCD television. It is the only 37-inch offering in the Panasonic Viera line-up to offer 1,920×1,080 resolution.

The new 37-inch LCD TV, TH-37LZ75, features the Full-HD IPS Alpha Panel, offering consistently clear pictures even when viewed off-center. The panel displays crisp fast-moving images, with a moving-picture resolution of over 600 lines, thanks to the new Full-HD W Speed that achieves a refresh rate of 120 frames per second, twice as fast as the typical rate. The new Full-HD W Contrast AI also gives third-dimensional appearance to images with a high 7,000:1 contrast ratio.

The 37LZ75 will reach other shores by the end of the year.

Yeah true. Im looking at the Logitech Z-5500 with the 700A. Can pick them up now for around $400 now. Will these do a good job or is my money better spent elsewhere? I know very little about speakers. Had on old set of logitechs and they did a pretty decent job :D Sorry to go alittle off topic here.

Logitech Z-5500

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers...24&cl=au,en

I was about to make the same recommendation of brett174. Go the Yamaha system over the Logitech for sure.

And on the topic of 1080p...A resolution that high on a TV that is 32 or 37 inches in size would most likely create a WORSE picture than a screen with a native res closer to 720p. Don't get caught up in all the 1080p hype. It really only comes into its own for screens larger than 50 inches. Resolution is a minor factor in overal picture quality.