Newsradio Sw Slopes On Air!

All,

From a hill just outside of Blayney today, I picked up NewsRadio on 91.5 from Mt. Ulandra. I'm not sure if all of you know this yet, so I thought I should make it public :blink:. Reception wise, it was waving in and out, and in mono like NewsRadio Canberra and Gosford. It did better than JJJ,ABC Riverina (90.7, 89.9) from the same location. I could not get 89.1 Radio National from the same site as 2BS/T (89.3) was killing it.

EDIT: Just checked the ABC reception advice site; apparently this is a TEST transmission (along with 105.1 in Wagga town). However, I could also get NewsRadio Canberra (faintly) and the two programs appeared to be the same ( DW radio).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

From a hill just outside of Blayney today, I picked up NewsRadio on 91.5 from Mt. Ulandra. I'm not sure if all of you know this yet, so I thought I should make it public :blink:. Reception wise, it was waving in and out, and in mono like NewsRadio Canberra and Gosford. It did better than JJJ,ABC Riverina (90.7, 89.9) from the same location. I could not get 89.1 Radio National from the same site as 2BS/T (89.3) was killing it.

EDIT: Just checked the ABC reception advice site; apparently this is a TEST transmission (along with 105.1 in Wagga town). However, I could also get NewsRadio Canberra (faintly) and the two programs appeared to be the same ( DW radio).

Any News On Where News Radio Is also being installed ?

Any News On Where News Radio Is also being installed ?

They are also conducting the same test transmission in the Lismore region (on 98.5) according to the same advice on the ABC reception website. Only in these two cases they are doing this.

As for everywhere else, the ABA/ACMA had tendered for a private company to conduct assessments and provide advice on available FM channel capacity (or alternative options including AM spectrum in cases where no FM frequencies are deemed suitable).

The tender was put about 18 months-2 years ago now I think, and I have not seen anything further on this since.

This is being done for both News Radio and SBS - the SBS transmissions will only be 'town' (low powered) (I think).

billybob_chider,

The reason for the better range of newsradio is that if the FM transmitter is setup for mono, then two things happen.

1. The receiver will switch off the stereo decoding circuits preventing more hiss on weak signals

2. The signal levels used to add the direction signals are replaced with more of the mono signal.

The end result is a bigger listening area for the same radiated signal power.

There is a list in the ACMA of the new newsradio sites. Most are FM the most notable AM is an increase in power for Prestons, Sydney

The transmitters are to cover any coverage area containing >10 000 people, I think.

You may find the list on the DCITA site

AlanH

This is being done for both News Radio and SBS - the SBS transmissions will only be 'town' (low powered) (I think).

An SBS Self Help TX is Now on air in Moree (Township) on 102.1 but no sign of News Radio Off Mt Dowe at this stage.

Do You Know if the ABC Are installing News Radio on all the sites they have JJJ broadcast from ?

Thanks for that Wahroonga Farm..

These are the sites that the ACMA had already identified existing channel capacity for in various LAPs..

There are a number of other regions with larger populations but with limited available FM channel capacity that was the subject of this tender that are not listed among the Stage 1 sites eg. Townsville, Albury/Wodonga, Sunshine Coast, Wollongong.

Left Behind - IIRC, the Government's policy is that towns with populations of over 20,000 are to have access to all five national radio services, this should mean that all nationally funded (ie. not including self-help services) Classic FM and JJJ transmissions should be accompanied by a News Radio transmission.

There are of course of a number of discrepancies in this, in that large towns such as Ballarat and Bendigo still don't have a local Radio National transmission due to the lack of available FM frequencies (they have to tune into the Melbourne service) , yet many remote towns in Qld and WA for instance have a nationally funded RN service.

Self-Help Services are a different matter - some of the mining townships for instance, have opted to have JJJ but not RN.

G'day,

From where I am at the moment, I can pick up the Gippsland or Latrobe Valley ABC Stations quite clearly, And there doesnt seem to be any advancement on 95.1 or 95.9 just yet, But I see Latrobe Valley is listed in that ABA/ACMA document. So it cant be too far away.

Yeah, now that the Wagga Wagga/SW Slopes and NSW Northern Rivers (Lismore) services are 'testing', hopefully the others won't be too far behind... All it said in the DCITA document is that (Stage 1 of) the roll-out would commence in 2007, so who knows?

McDigital - Whereabouts are you 'at the moment' that is receiving the other Gippsland ABC services - is not your usual location?

G'day,

My usual residence here is in Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs. I have travelled to many places in the past, and have an interest in radio as well.

This year alone, I've already travelled to Bairnsdale, Warrnambool, Echuca, Maryborough and in a few weeks time I'll add Swan Hill to that list.

In the past, I've been to Mildura, Horsham, Ararat, Stawell, Lakes Entrance, Alexandra, Mansfield, Albury/Wodonga, Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton and Wangaratta. All interesting places to take observations.

And yes, I've been to Seymour on the odd occaision, as you've proably noticed with my DTV reports lately. I've actually pulled in Griffith ABC and Star FM services before. So when News Radio comes on air there, I'll see if I can pull it in

All,

I notice that it isn't on the newsradio website about the new freq. Maybe its still only test.

hi mgaleano, yes, NewsRadio for Northern Rivers and SW Slopes is still in testing stages..

So I got to thinking about potential FM frequencies for further News Radio expansion in NSW/VIC/QLD in major regional areas (where freq not already identified).

NSW

Area / Freq / (Site)

Grafton-Coffs-Kempsey 90.7 (Mt Moombil)

Taree-Port Macquarie 94.7 (Middle Brother) - may need to restrict power to west to protect JJJ Tamworth

Tamworth 101.5 (Mt Soma) - should not impact on 2TRR Dunedoo, 2KY Kempsey or 2GLA Forster

Moree-Narrabri-Gunnedah 94.3 (Mt Dowe) - new (low power) freq req'd for RN Goondiwindi, QLD

Central West Slopes 106.3 (Mt Cenn Cruaich)

Central Tablelands 97.9 (Mt Canobolas) - would require new (low power) freq for 2LVR Parkes

Bega-Cooma 98.5 (Brown Mountain) - hopefully it will not impact on 2XX-FM Canberra

VIC

Ballarat 657 AM - no suitable FM freqs available

Bendigo/Central Vic 540 AM - no suitable FM freqs available

Shepparton/Goulb. Vly 100.9 (Mt Major)

Mildura/Sunraysia 97.1 (Yatpool)

Swan Hill/Murray Valley 100.5 (Goschen)

QLD

Sunshine Coast 828 AM - no suitable FM freqs available

Toowoomba/D.Downs 102.5 (Mt Mowbullan) - new freq req'd for 4DDB Toowoomba

Southern Downs 98.5 (Passchendaele Ridge) - Great Dividing Range provides protection from NR Nth Rivers

Wide Bay/Fraser Coast 97.7 (Mt Goonaneman) - HPON 97.1 at Bundaberg should be okay..

Townsville 99.1 (Mt Stuart) - new freq req'd for HPON Townsville on 98.9

Same power as other co-located ABC services would be used.

Perhaps maybe I should have submitted this as my 'tender' to the ACMA and save the taxpayers some money ...

:blink::D

VIC

Ballarat 657 AM - no suitable FM freqs available

Bendigo/Central Vic 540 AM - no suitable FM freqs available

Shepparton/Goulb. Vly 100.9 (Mt Major)

Mildura/Sunraysia 97.1 (Yatpool)

Swan Hill/Murray Valley 100.5 (Goschen)

G'day,

I was thinking that the frequencies in Bendigo that could be used, would be 94.9 or 95.7, as they wouldnt interfere with Nhill services, and are in between Shepparton services

Ballarat on the other hand, has 97.5 up it's sleave, but I think another group is thinking of taking this one. Otherwise 99.1 can be used, which shouldnt interfere with Apollo Bay or Maryborough stations

Mildura, Maybe 100.3 could be used, as I understand it, Renmark stations on 101.9 and 103.5 are the reason why Mildura services cant be used on those frequencies, or 98.7 is another suggestion

No mention of Albury/Wodonga, where I reckon 98.1 is a good place to have it, since its in between Shepparton services, so cant interfere. Can't go on 100.1 with 3RPH in the way from Shepparton, and Wodonga has a Christian station testing out on 100.7 last time I was there

Anyway, Apparently today was the launch of the Wagga Wagga frequency for News Radio, and now Dubbo should be recieving tests on 95.9

Ah, forgot about Albury/Wodonga, that's a tricky one given the crowded nature of the FM band..

I was thinking 98.1 could pose a problem for the planned News Radio service in the Murrumbidgee region (Griffith).

They are probably a bit too close together to be using the same freq (I have heard that the Albury ABC stations can be received in Griffith).

My idea in Albury/Wodonga is to use 99.3 and find an alternative freq for the HPON service which operates at only 2kw (maybe either 92.9 or 93.7).

94.9 and 95.7 in Bendigo may cause interference to the Melbourne community radio services (particularly) 3JOY and also 3GDR which use these frequencies respectively. It would be difficult to find other freqs in Melbourne.

99.1 in Ballarat is a possibility - I couldn't find any station on/near 99.1 at Maryborough, though it's not that far from Ballarat... It shouldn't cause interference to Yarra Valley or Swan Hill stations in addition to the Apollo Bay service either.

G'day,

Good call on the Griffith interference, didnt think of that one. 92.9 and 93.7 would have been my second and third suggestions also

Maryborough have a TCBL at the moment, they launched only last month. Goldfields FM, broadcasting from the old 3CV studios. When I tuned in last time I was near town, they had Christian content on, then again it was a Sunday night.

I was thinking more 94.9 and 95.7 for Bendigo probably on a lower power, but then again lower power is probably not preferred. I'm thinking anything along the lines of 99.1 for Bendigo would clash with the Marybough TCBL, and 97.3 could cause interference to the TCBL in Kilmore on 97.1

It's a good thought provoking discussion

From what the ABC have said in the past, they're looking at more FM services, because its cheaper than an AM service to get started up. But if there's no space in Bendigo, then they cant do it. Though Im sure you've heard that the community station on 89.5 has lost their licence, and that the ACMA would like to have a NewsRadio on that frequency, despite the anger amongst the Communty station workers

It would be nice if Melbourne's News Radio was running the same power as 3RN on 621 and 774 3LO plus having NewsRadio on the suggested 540 AM and 657 AM .That may save having all those FM transmitters and probably have greater coverage than FM .

G'day,

It would make more sense for NewsRadio to go onto the Horsham frequency of 594AM and move the Local Radio service to the proposed 89.3, 90.1 or 90.9 frequencies that have been offered in town. Then you'll get a big part of Victoria covered with NewsRadio

As for Bendigo, Keep in mind that the 250kW transmitters used by the ABC are the most powerful in the nation, so that covers a fair bit of ground as well.

Ballarat's FM stations do a good job, directional towards Western Victoria, they can be picked up at almost Warrnambool and Horsham, before hitting those respective towns

Some comments:

For the Upper Murray (Albury/Wodonga), 98.1 CANNOT be used as it is transmitting a local station in Corryong (not sure what the service is). Corryong is in the Upper Murray license area. Haven't been to Victoria in a while, so can't really comment on the suitability of those proposed frequencies. I was thinking 101.1 for Mt. Canobolas , but again you'd have to move an existing station, namely 100.9 2KY Bathurst. I would propose that service be moved to 95.1 and transmit from Mt. Panorama. Mt Bingar stations (Griffith) are heard in Albury, and the converse is also true. 98.1 would be suitable for Griffith, but not for Albury.

Some comments:

For the Upper Murray (Albury/Wodonga), 98.1 CANNOT be used as it is transmitting a local station in Corryong (not sure what the service is). Corryong is in the Upper Murray license area. Haven't been to Victoria in a while, so can't really comment on the suitability of those proposed frequencies. I was thinking 101.1 for Mt. Canobolas , but again you'd have to move an existing station, namely 100.9 2KY Bathurst. I would propose that service be moved to 95.1 and transmit from Mt. Panorama. Mt Bingar stations (Griffith) are heard in Albury, and the converse is also true. 98.1 would be suitable for Griffith, but not for Albury.

98.1 has already been allocated for News Radio in Griffith, as well as Corryong as billy_bob chider pointed out.

As for the Canobolas/2KY Bathurst issue, I think 2KY would rightly object to having to change frequencies and to a lower power and at a different site. 2KY paid for the right to transmit at 10kw (as more power generally equates to a larger audience). I couldn't think of any other suitable 10kw frequencies at Ovens Range for 2KY either.

Using 97.9 (or 97.1) at Canbolas would only affect services in Parkes (or Young) that operate at 2kw or less (and fewer listeners), and also they would have a better chance at finding another suitable frequency in their less populated & more isolated towns than say a 10kw service in a larger centre such as Bathurst which has more FM services in/around that region.

98.1 has already been allocated for News Radio in Griffith, as well as Corryong as billy_bob chider pointed out.

As for the Canobolas/2KY Bathurst issue, I think 2KY would rightly object to having to change frequencies and to a lower power and at a different site. 2KY paid for the right to transmit at 10kw (as more power generally equates to a larger audience). I couldn't think of any other suitable 10kw frequencies at Ovens Range for 2KY either.

Using 97.9 (or 97.1) at Canbolas would only affect services in Parkes (or Young) that operate at 2kw or less (and fewer listeners), and also they would have a better chance at finding another suitable frequency in their less populated & more isolated towns than say a 10kw service in a larger centre such as Bathurst which has more FM services in/around that region.

Another angle about News Radio is the quote in the DCITA website about expansion plans. The Sydney and Hobart sites are listed for "enhancement"!. Does anyone know what is to happen?. Are they to increase power to the same level as RN and Local Radio? or is there some new Optimod processing to increase coverage.

Tahoma.

The 'enhancement' to Local Radio in Wagga Wagga (102.7) is related to an increase in power from 40 watts to 500 watts on the Willans Hill (Wagga Wagga town) transmitter.

So I'm guessing from this that the Sydney News Radio 'enhancement' is likely to be a power increase (maybe not to the full 50kw used by 702 and RN) to improve reception in the Blue Mountains region (as indicated in the DCITA media release).

Not sure what the Hobart 'enhancement' is however...

Other ABC services in Wagga Wagga (and in Dubbo) will also be receiving these 'enhancements' (but probably not just yet).

G'day,

I never knew Griffith was getting NewsRadio on 98.1, or Corryong on the same frequency. So 92.9 or 93.7 looks even better now for Albury/Wodonga

But it's all good having a little prediciton, But is there definate paperwork saying that these areas, including Ballarat, Bendigo, Mildura, Swan Hill are going to get News Radio? None have come to my attention yet, But I'd like to see something

OK, we're in luck..

I found on my hard drive a copy of the ABC's 'Request for Proposal' 'Requirements' document that was issued in April 2005 asking for assistance regarding possible options for 'enhancements' for Local Radio and new services for News Radio (PNN).

This lists ALL sites that are to be getting News Radio.

Here it is at divshare.com (pdf file - 353 kb)

http://www.divshare.com/download/431666-1d2

Let me know if you have problems downloading it...

Pages 20-26 lists those planned News Radio sites with and without frequency allocations, and possible options (in some cases).

Corryong - I think 98.1 is meant to be a repeater for Radio National, not News Radio.

The 'enhancement' to Local Radio in Wagga Wagga (102.7) is related to an increase in power from 40 watts to 500 watts on the Willans Hill (Wagga Wagga town) transmitter.

So I'm guessing from this that the Sydney News Radio 'enhancement' is likely to be a power increase (maybe not to the full 50kw used by 702 and RN) to improve reception in the Blue Mountains region (as indicated in the DCITA media release).

Not sure what the Hobart 'enhancement' is however...

Other ABC services in Wagga Wagga (and in Dubbo) will also be receiving these 'enhancements' (but probably not just yet).

The problem with 630 AM in sydney is it get interferance from Townsville. But it will be intertesting to see what they will do with newsradio in sydney.