Big Thumbs Down To Sony And Br And Ps3

I have been playing BR titles for a few days now and, as reported elsewhere here, I have seen nothing other than DVD-like PQ. I was pondering why my PS3 couldn't play BR titles at 720p so I called Sony. I was staggered to learn that despite a BR title being specified as "High Definition Widescreen 1920x1080p" there is no guarantee that a PS3 can actually play the software at any resolution greater than 480p, even with 720p output set on the machine! Evidently there must be an encoding in the BR disc to allow 720p playback, and you just don't know by reading the cover of the disc whether 720p playback is enabled. I also asked why PS3 wouldn't playback a 1080p BR movie at 1080p either, despite 1080p being an option on the video setup menu. They couldn't answer that question.

Bottom line being, as a consumer, if you buy HD-BR software then there is no guarantee that you can play it at 720p, and you might only be able to play it at 480p. Not happy about that, might as well be watching a DVD.

Also, asked Sony why some SD movie trailers on the PS3 website playback at 720p and not 576p. Answer being 720p IS only STANDARD DEFINITION.

Edit: PS3 is an awsome gaming machine, it's a dud for BR movie playback

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

beejay76, I can't know for sure because I havent got a PS3 yet.. however, all the reviews say the PS3 is one of the best Blu-Ray Movie players available. If the problems you described re Blu-Ray playback were normal, it would be all over the internet.

480p is not normal for Blu-Ray playback as it is not HD (720p is HD though, despite what you may have been told).

Are you connecting the PS3 via component or HDMI? What resolutions does your TV support?

Thats a real kick in the teeth, sorry to hear that. Especially being that a lot of people on here in particular will buy the console based on the HD movie viewing.

Does that mean games are only ever 480p as well? Thats a real let down either way.

I don't completely understand though - so if it's not enabled ON THE DISC, it won't play HD in the PS3? Is that the same for standalone BR players, or do they work differently?

Thats false advertising if the PS3 can't play 1080P BR isn't it? No doubt there's a loophole!

Oak: Could be Pal related and not NTSC. Just a thought...

Thats a real kick in the teeth, sorry to hear that. Especially being that a lot of people on here in particular will buy the console based on the HD movie viewing.

Does that mean games are only ever 480p as well? Thats a real let down either way.

I don't completely understand though - so if it's not enabled ON THE DISC, it won't play HD in the PS3? Is that the same for standalone BR players, or do they work differently?

Thats false advertising if the PS3 can't play 1080P BR isn't it? No doubt there's a loophole!

Oak: Could be Pal related and not NTSC. Just a thought...

Games are 720p or 1080i - and are labelled as such on the back. Games are region free.

PS3 can do 1080p for Blu-Ray - but only over HDMI connection (Component is limited to 1080i due to content protection, as is standard)

Guest JohnA

as mentioned if this was the case, it would be all over the net by now

i dare say its just a setting you have wrong or aren't using hdmi

That's the word from the Sony horse's mouth, a BR disc needs to be enabled for 720p playback. If it 'aint, it won't. You just don't know from reading the BR disc case whether it is encoded with the 720p playback flag.

My system supports all resolutions up to 1080p, connected of course by HDMI.

That's the word from the Sony horse's mouth, a BR disc needs to be enabled for 720p playback. If it 'aint, it won't. You just don't know from reading the BR disc case whether it is encoded with the 720p playback flag.

My system supports all resolutions up to 1080p, connected of course by HDMI.

Curious to know what the percentage is of BR titles that are actually encoded with 720P and above.

What titles have you been playing at less than 720p?

I really dont follow your point. You actually need a 1080p panel to display the maximum resoloution being 1080p. You wont see 1080p on a panel that will only display 720p max.

A BR will always display 1080p to a compatible panel...

Do you have a PAL or NTSC ps3?

The only thing i can think of is your tv wont accept a HD signal at 60Hz(NTSC).

btw, im not aware of any blu-ray dics that are less than 1080p. That was one of their advertising ploys.

I have a PAL PS3. My display accepts 60hz signals. I tried playing "Kung Fu Hustle" a Sony Pictures Classics BR title 1920x1080p. With my PS3 set to 720p out over HDMI the movie played back at 480p. With my PS3 set to 1080p it would only output a blue screen. I can't get 720p playback with this disc. That's the whole point of the thread. The only other titles I have tried are Discovery Atlas China Revealed and BHD but didn't note what rez the PS3 put out, but I did report elsewhere here that it only looked like DVD quality.

I have a PAL PS3. My display accepts 60hz signals. I tried playing "Kung Fu Hustle" a Sony Pictures Classics BR title 1920x1080p. With my PS3 set to 720p out over HDMI the movie played back at 480p. With my PS3 set to 1080p it would only output a blue screen. I can't get 720p playback with this disc. That's the whole point of the thread. The only other titles I have tried are Discovery Atlas China Revealed and BHD but didn't note what rez the PS3 put out, but I did report elsewhere here that it only looked like DVD quality.

The issue you speak of was fixed with the latest firmware upgrade i thought.

BTW, forget what the resolution states on the BR. You clearly dont have a 1080p panel.

Ok it looks like there is a 720p problem for blu-ray after all:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=48109

Blu-Ray movies on the PS3 can be outputted in the following resolutions:

1080p -> 1080i -> 480p -> 480i

The majority of HD sets on the market support 1080i and 720p, which are the HD resolutions used in broadcast television

Short term fix, is set your PS3 to 1080i, and let your TV scale it down to 720p - not as good but better than 480p.