Ten Afl Hd And Dd 5.1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm, if I recall correctly, I thought that all Saturday night AFL games on 10 were going to be in HD and 5.1 sound, is that right? If so, then the small print must have been "* except when the game is being played in Perth". FFS, I'm suck of getting the bloody pineapple all the time...

Simon....

Ummm, if I recall correctly, I thought that all Saturday night AFL games on 10 were going to be in HD and 5.1 sound, is that right? If so, then the small print must have been "* except when the game is being played in Perth". FFS, I'm suck of getting the bloody pineapple all the time...

Simon....

Teething problems - In Melbourne, it took a few weeks for a full game to be broadcast in 5.1 (we had the 1st quarter in 5.1, but then it'd be switched off for the next 3 quarters for example).

The last few weeks have been trouble-free, so I guess all's good now.

Perths' audio is probably under test. I'd say give it a week or 3.

Is it even the HD game this week? According to the TV guide, the HD game this week is "Adelaide v Hawthorn".

The score on the screen is different to begin with.. along the bottom of the screen instead of in the top left corner as it usually is.

5.1 sound has been fine with the HD broadcast in Perth - just that this game isn't the HD game this round.

Is it even the HD game this week? According to the TV guide, the HD game this week is "Adelaide v Hawthorn".

The score on the screen is different to begin with.. along the bottom of the screen instead of in the top left corner as it usually is.

5.1 sound has been fine with the HD broadcast in Perth - just that this game isn't the HD game this round.

Ten aren't doing the West Coast game - that is a Foxtel game. You don't get the Ten game in Perth tonight.

Simon you are correct in that the ch10 sat night matches are the HD game of the round,but being here in perth we have all the west coast and docker fans that cry if there team arent shown on FTA every week.This means that a few times during the year (eg.tonight) the eagles or dockers games are actually a foxtel broedcast to everywhere in australia and since we have to have it on FTA as well we miss out on the HD game and have the same game going on fox and 10 at the same time and dont get to see the other game at all (which is the HD game all over the country)

ps.if you notice that the score is right along the bottom of the screen the its a foxtel broadcast even if the game is being shown on ch10/7

Thanks Wheelz, understand now. We're a precious lot, aren't we?

Simon...

It's all about ratings, 216,000 people watched the game in Perth on ten, it was by far the number 1 program of the night. Last week, only 121,000 people watched the footy which didn't involve a team from Perth.

Guest Krazy

the sharing agreement within the consortium means that local games be broadcast locally,

7 10 and fox all share the games to show local people the local game.

thats why while a ten HD game in melbourne is live to air, you will get the local local gabba game on ten in brisbane, even tho that game is covered by fox.

we are in perth next week (21st) you will get that live in 5.1 HD

the sharing agreement within the consortium means that local games be broadcast locally,

7 10 and fox all share the games to show local people the local game.

thats why while a ten HD game in melbourne is live to air, you will get the local local gabba game on ten in brisbane, even tho that game is covered by fox.

we are in perth next week (21st) you will get that live in 5.1 HD

It's a stupid, insulting arrangement for viewers.

Simulcasting the same game on both FTA and Foxtel is ridiculous.

This didn't happen under the previous arrangement, where viewers had real choice and weren't forced to watch the local game.

It's a stupid, insulting arrangement for viewers.

Simulcasting the same game on both FTA and Foxtel is ridiculous.

This didn't happen under the previous arrangement, where viewers had real choice and weren't forced to watch the local game.

it's insulting for the minority who don't follow their local team. Foxtel should realy air the channel 10 game if 10 are showing the fox game like last year.

I think the winners out of the new broadcast deal were the people in melb because i know last year SA and WA had a much better deal .

People in Sydney are better off as well, Live Friday night matches, and every other match live/ near live

People in Sydney are better off as well, Live Friday night matches, and every other match live/ near live

Oh yeah sure EXCEPT for when Sydney is being broadcast on Foxtel and FTA at the same time and the team you happen to follow is playing at the same time as well and that match gets all but forgotten about.. better off my ass

I have to say that, having finally managed to catch a bit of a Saturday AFL broadcast, the 5.1 audio mix is very underwhelming. Honestly, Dolby Surround would do just as good a job. The surround channels were virtually silent.

Come on, sound mixers, *use* the surrounds. Put some crowd in them.

Guest Krazy
I have to say that, having finally managed to catch a bit of a Saturday AFL broadcast, the 5.1 audio mix is very underwhelming. Honestly, Dolby Surround would do just as good a job. The surround channels were virtually silent.

Come on, sound mixers, *use* the surrounds. Put some crowd in them.

check your setup of your surrounds, all other feeback has indicated that they are at a very audible level

check your setup of your surrounds, all other feeback has indicated that they are at a very audible level

Yep I'll back that - the 5.1 makes very good use of the surrounds, much better than ProLogic. There's been a few games when they've turned the 5.1 on after the game started, and the difference is chalk and cheese.

check your setup of your surrounds

Well, they're very much connected, turned on and set to the correct level. Nothing had changed there from the DD 5.1 DVD I was watching just beforehand.

all other feeback has indicated that they are at a very audible level

I only listened to a couple of minutes right at the start of the game; maybe they were getting the mix sorted out. But what I heard was pretty much *everything* in the front channels - umpires, crowd, the lot, and I had to go put my ear up to one of the surrounds to hear anything much at all. What I heard was some gentle ambience and the occasional distant crowd member or player shouting.

Maybe they put the surround mikes in a bit of the ground that had, err, low attendance? :lol:

I'll listen again this coming Saturday.

Guest Krazy

surround speakers are tight mic'ed on crowd, you can pick individual voices if the people shout loud enough.

center carries the commentry

R and L carry other crowds FX and the umpire mics.

Edited by Krazy

Surround 5.1 causing Ten problems at the Swans v Eagles match broken up audio reverted back to DD 3ch when they couldn't fix the problem

cheers laurie

I went back to pro logic when the audio was playing up but it was the same problem on pro log as well,also just plain stereo,anyway only lasted 10 mins and all was well.