Ten Afl Hd And Dd 5.1

Finally found a link saying it's in 5.1:

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/Sony-Te...AFL-300307.html

"TEN’s High Definition AFL telecasts will be in the highest quality HD broadcast standard: 1080i and 5.1 Dolby surround sound, creating at least four times the resolution of Standard Definition digital and cinema quality surround sound."

If they do this right, it should be awesome!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TDT normally switch over to Ten Sydney on Saturdays nights during the footy season. The game is on at 7:30pm because Sydney are playing, next weeks game will be on 10:30pm.

That makes sense, although why Ten is delaying it into Sydney is beyond me.

They always go live against the gate on sunday afternoons in sydney so I don't think its that

The deal the AFL does with the networks is always complex - last year it would have said that games could be shown live against the gate on Sundays, but not on Saturdays.

If you don't like it, go to telstra stadium and watch the bloody thing live. You'll get Real-Definition + 60,000 fans providing amazing surround sound.

Agreed.

The AFL requests that the games are delayed in whatever market the match is being played in. E.g. This weekend, it's in Sydney - Thus Sydney will have a minimum of a 30 minute delay. It can be 1 hour, or even 90 minutes.

This is to encourage people to GO TO the game - rather than sit at home & watch.

The only exception to this rule is if the Game is SOLD OUT - This is determined (and can change) not less than 24 hours before the match.

If you don't like it, go to telstra stadium and watch the bloody thing live. You'll get Real-Definition + 60,000 fans providing amazing surround sound.

Why would I, I don't live in Sydney, and can watch the game live on TV. My point was they shouldn't be delaying games where Sydney are playing into Sydney, as they will do a lot to promote the game to people who do live in Sydney. AFL isn't going to get more popular by showing it on delay, Nine can get away with that for NRL because the base is there, Ten can't.

I saw a new ad for AFL in HD on Ten (something about a 'digital revolution') with all the AFL footage the voiceover guy was doing the whole 'the game has never looked so good' and out of nowhere came something about being avaliable in DD5.1.

Did anybody else see this ad?

I'll believe it when I see/hear it. I didn't know ten had dd5.1 capability.

So how come Swans home games on during the day are always live in Sydney??

Most, if not all day games, are at the SCG, where most of the seats are pre-sold/reserved for Swans members. This one, being at Telstra Stadium, has plenty of excess capacity, so they would want to sell as many seats as possible to the general public.

Most, if not all day games, are at the SCG, where most of the seats are pre-sold/reserved for Swans members. This one, being at Telstra Stadium, has plenty of excess capacity, so they would want to sell as many seats as possible to the general public.

Which could be a good reason but even when the swans play away from home 10 delay the telecast by 30mins, is this to try to get people to fly interstate??

I saw a new ad for AFL in HD on Ten (something about a 'digital revolution') with all the AFL footage the voiceover guy was doing the whole 'the game has never looked so good' and out of nowhere came something about being avaliable in DD5.1.

Did anybody else see this ad?

One I saw said 'Surround Sound', said nothing specific about 5.1 ?? (perhaps why it wasn't in 5.1 tonight huh!)

Saw the link posted earlier in this post and definetly said 5.1 surround sound,I only got to watch the first 5 mins. of the game as I had to go out and drink,but it wasn't in 5.1,don't know if it was a glitch they fixed later or they just failed to deliver what was advertised!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the ad tonight for the first time during ten late news, was downstairs at the time watch SD, no surround sound system is setup downstairs, so just the stereo speakers were used, but I heard what I thought was Surround sound during the ad, and the tv is only a base brand 68cm 4:3 tv

EDIT: saw it again, this time I listened to it on the 34cm tv with just 1 speaker, it's not surround sound I heard, it's just them turning echo on.

Which could be a good reason but even when the swans play away from home 10 delay the telecast by 30mins, is this to try to get people to fly interstate??

that's just ten being lazy and not wanting to change around their schedules...

Hopefully 5.1 will come at some point. Maybe It's just because I was paying special attention, but stereo seemed to sound better than normal on Saturday night.

that's just ten being lazy and not wanting to change around their schedules...

Hopefully 5.1 will come at some point. Maybe It's just because I was paying special attention, but stereo seemed to sound better than normal on Saturday night.

While I was doing some work for Cutting Edge, the company providing the HD truck and feed, their staff where talking about it being a HD, 5.1 setup.

Saw the ad on tv again yesterday for hd football and it definetly says in 5.1 so it will be interesting to see what happens this weekend

Didn't happen in 5.1 for the Sydney vs Richmond game today, Easter Saturday :blink: So I rang them and complained and faxed them as well to complain about being mislead. I hate being lied to. I went back to an earlier recording on the Toppy to watch the ad. There was one immediately before David Letterman last night and if definatley said 5.1 sound. The Ch7 test transmission was in 5.1 so I know my system is fine.