Loewe 100hz Tv Recall

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is affected. They're offering free repairs and/or a 15-25% discount on a newer model Loewe. For my Calida 5684Z they're offering a Xelos A32 LCD - 1366x768 with built-in SD tuner for between $2.6k and $2.9k

WHAT A RIPOFF! I can pick up something at the same resolution with more inputs and features at half of that price! Plus some retailers are advertising this set at $2.5k retail! Surely they can do better than this!

They're all the same gtr73

No one of the large CE manufacturers is making Tv's , or anything electronic , to last anymore

Hi

I read an article last Year that laid the blame on the decline of the German Electronics Industry on EEC regulations ,particulary the enviromental ones. It probaly won't make much difference as the Chinese(Taiwan & Mainland) are buying up all the old established Co.'s at a regular rate.

Regards

Basil

They're all the same gtr73

No one of the large CE manufacturers is making Tv's , or anything electronic , to last anymore

Hi

I read an article last Year that laid the blame on the decline of the German Electronics Industry on EEC regulations ,particulary the enviromental ones. It probaly won't make much difference as the Chinese(Taiwan & Mainland) are buying up all the old established Co.'s at a regular rate.

Regards

Basil

One thing about my Loewe is it was a gorgeous picture and just about anyone that saw it would comment that. Pity the brand has declined so much but I think I was more a victim of an over-priced Australian market for European products rather than actually ending up with a dud unit.

When I purchased my Loewe back in 2000 they were considered high-end equipment - it was actually made in Germany and better than just about any picture around unless you forked out 5 figures in $$$. And this is before widescreens, plasmas and LCDs came into prominence. Grundig was considered up there too, but now I see Dick Smith Electronics and Tandy sell Grundig stuff these days.

At least the demise of my 4:3 Loewe gave me an excuse to upgrade to a widescreen! :blink:

Hi

I read an article last Year that laid the blame on the decline of the German Electronics Industry on EEC regulations ,particulary the enviromental ones...

Basil

sounds possible- maybe they were forced to use Eco -friendly components that weren't as robust as the cadmium/mercury /lead whatever materials.

I say F*** the environment and lets go back to landfill clogging , cancer causing CRT projectors !!!! :blink:

sounds possible- maybe they were forced to use Eco -friendly components that weren't as robust as the cadmium/mercury /lead whatever materials.

I say F*** the environment and lets go back to landfill clogging , cancer causing CRT projectors !!!! :blink:

True.. but then, I prefer the idea of disposable goods since they're getting cheaper & cheaper all the time.. Good excuse to upgrade..

I had a grudig TV once that last for like 10+ years (I grew up with it watching Transformers, TMNT, etc).... then my parents brought a Sony Triniton that exploded in 2 years. Things has gone all downhill since..... Anyday now the capacitors on my computer motherboard will leak...

The recall was first announced almost one month ago(1st post in this thread), and Loewe only start to do newspapers bulletins, how slow/irresponsible can they get? :D And they're still trying to put spin on things....

Not sure if this is public knowledge. But if you own an older generation of Loewe TV, there's a recall.

More info here:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/view_recall_deta...l_ID_Auto=14741

I have a 10 yr old Grundig crt tv that went up in smoke (literally) on friday night. Yesterday Loewe starts recalling sets made with Loewe and AHB picture tubes.

Does anyone here know if Grundig and Loewe use/used the same suppliers with their crt tvs, possibly AHB? They ARE both German.

Basil

Any chance u can find that article- sounds like a good read.

Hi

I try and backtrack my steps when i have some Time on the Weekend and Post a link.

It started as a Google on Thomson TV's.

As already posted it mentioned that a Date had been set for the banning of the use of Heavy Metals in Production and that around 90%(from memory) of the components(in TV's) have to be suitable for Landfill.

Regards

Basil

Guest adam.i
One thing about my Loewe is it was a gorgeous picture and just about anyone that saw it would comment that. Pity the brand has declined so much but I think I was more a victim of an over-priced Australian market for European products rather than actually ending up with a dud unit.

When I purchased my Loewe back in 2000 they were considered high-end equipment - it was actually made in Germany and better than just about any picture around unless you forked out 5 figures in $$$. And this is before widescreens, plasmas and LCDs came into prominence. Grundig was considered up there too, but now I see Dick Smith Electronics and Tandy sell Grundig stuff these days.

At least the demise of my 4:3 Loewe gave me an excuse to upgrade to a widescreen! :blink:

gtr73, I was on the verge of ditching my Calida 5684 also. The transformer blew a few years ago and the picture had a horrible bluish tinge and lots of visible scanlines after that. I had the recall repair done last week and the tech fiddled a bit with the insides and got rid of the scanlines and tinge, was an oversight by the tech who replaced the transformer.

The picture is back to looking awesome, even with 16,000 hours of duty.

• 4 weeks later...