Covers that are better than the original

5 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Its a shite load better than "that other one"...

If you say so........:hyper::frantics:.............:lol:.......but I'll take 'up tempo' over 'boring as bat-****' (which could be used to describe most 'hipster contempory' Ed Sheeran-esque yawnfest music today)........anyday!?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

• Volunteer
17 minutes ago, stereo coffee said:

Hendrix "All along the watchtower "  is already on pages 1,3,7 and now 10

what about this one:    

With all due respect and it’s purely my opinion and I don’t want to offend anyone, but that is truly awful :( 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

With all due respect and it’s purely my opinion and I don’t want to offend anyone, but that is truly awful :( 

Well, it was certainly a different take on it at the time.

Johnny always did a great version though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Hendrix "All along the watchtower "  is already on pages 1,3,7 and now 10

what about this one:    

I recall it was played on Dave Woodhall's  Rockturnal program nearly every week for over 5 years, which is where I first heard it, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Dunno about the "better than original bit" but here it goes nontheless:

"All the world is green" is one of my favourite Tom Waits songs ever, however I heard a cover of it first by another band I really love - Bo Kaspers Orkester, a jazz-pop band from Sweden and it's sung in swedish (also released in 2003). Such a good cover I genuinely thought for about 6-12 months it was an original, till I heard TW. Here they are both and because the lyrics mean a whole lot, I will attempt a translation for those interested. BKO version is along similar lines of the original lyrics, but with a tip of the hat to the master (end of first verse) and also a bit more romantic and noir than original, less of a TW edge.

"Allt Är Som Förut"                                   "All is like before"

Bo Kaspers Orkester

Jag föll djupt och handlöst                                                 I fell deep and hopelessly,
När jag mötte dig                                                                  The day that I met you
Även om det gjorde ont                                                       Although sometimes it hurt like hell,
har jag aldrig ångrat mig                                                     I've never regretted it
Jag har gjort så dumma saker                                           I've done such stupid things,
Du kunde göra lika bra                                                         You could've done them just as well
Säkert mycket bättre,                                                           Certainly much better,
Men du är inte jag                                                                 However I'm not you

Låtsas som om vi aldrig setts                                            Sounds like we never even met,
Innan allt tog sluut                                                                Before it all was gone
Vi kan drömma oss hem igen,                                            We can dream we're home again,
Att allt är som förut                                                              Where all is like before

Vad var det som hände?                                                     What was it that happened?
Ramlade himlen ner?                                                           Did the sky just fall?
Slocknade solen?                                                                 Maybe the sun went out?
Eller var det något mer?                                                      Or was there something more?
Det enda jag han tänka var att                                           The only thought in my head:
"Hoppas marken bär"                                                          "Hope the ground will break my fall"
När du sa att jag borde                                                        When you said I shouldn't be,
Inte vara där du är                                                                 Anywhere you are

Låtsas som om vi aldrig setts                                            Sounds like we never even met,
Innan allt tog sluut                                                                Before it all was gone
Vi kan drömma oss hem igen,                                            We can dream we're home again,
Att allt är som förut                                                              Where all is like before

Vi tar en drink i baren,                                                           We have a drink at the bar,

Vi ses en sista gång                                                              We see each other one last time
Jag kysser dig i nacken,                                                        I kiss you on the neck,

Dom spelar våran sång                                                         The band's playing our song
Jag får kalla dig min kvinna,                                                 I'll call you my wife,

Och ana att du ler                                                                   And I suppose you'll smile
Sen kan jag försvinna,                                                           Then I can disappear,

Du ser mig aldrig mer                                                            You'll see me never again

Vi tar en drink i baren,                                                           We have a drink at the bar,
Innan allt tar sluut                                                                  Before it's all gone
Jag kysser dig i nacken,                                                        I kiss you on the neck,
Allt är som förut                                                                     All is just like before

bo-kaspers-orkester-52debd9aab7c2.jpg

Give it a whirl - it's a song an half (so 3 songs all up). Hope you enjoy it!

And as a note, BKO are veterans with first album dating to 1993 (the hatted frontman Bo Sundström playing piano jazz standards at Chamonix for years beforehand) with heaps of gems throughout the discography of 10 or so albums, but can truly be appreciated only if the language is understood (to an extent at least).

Zlatan

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Roy Buchanan covering Neil Young's Down By The River.

The Rolling Stones invited Roy to join the band after Brian Jones death but he turned them down, later saying he was pretty messed up at the time and didn't want to add to the Stones casualty list.

Robbie Robertson, Billy Gibbons and Jeff Beck were also among his fans and fellow Telecaster master Albert Collins was a close friend who Roy jammed with regularly.

the original still sounds fresh, way ahead of its time!

Grace put her unique touch to it, better than the original? Just a different take on the song, equally good, shows you just how good songwriters Vanda and Young were!

• Like 3

Warm Leatherette: The Normal (1978) Considering it's budget production and early "industrial music" approach it stands up quite well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Leatherette

<The lyrics of "Warm Leatherette" reference J.G. Ballard's controversial 1973 novel Crash, which had heavily influenced Daniel Miller.[1] Together with his college friend, he had worked on a film script based on the book, but after the project was abandoned, Miller decided to "write a song encapsulating [the script] in 2 and a half minutes".[2] The song was recorded in Miller's apartment using 2 Revox B-77 tape machines. Series of sawtooth waves were recorded on a $150 Korg 700S synthesizer.

Miller took the record to a few independent music shops, including Rough Trade in London, where it would be played to customers.[2] "Warm Leatherette" was released as the B-side to "T.V.O.D.", the only single by Miller's musical project The Normal, and the very first release on his Mute Records label. However, since it was "Warm Leatherette" that gained more public attention,[3] it was featured as the lead song on subsequent single re-releases. Although Miller did not expect the single to be successful,[4] it sold thirty thousand copies.[5]

The single was an early example of the then-burgeoning industrial music genre, emerging on a wave of numerous electronic pop experiments of the late 1970s in the UK.[6] It has since been described as having "revolutionised electronic music with its punk aesthetic, stark sound and dark subject matter"[2] and has been covered by numerous artists. >

Warm Leatherette: Grace Jones (1980)

featuring the legendary the Riddum twins, Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare and superb production from Compass Point Studios! Give a vinyl copy of this a spin, still sounds incredible today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Leatherette_(album)

< For Warm Leatherette, Jones went through a musical and visual reinvention. The singer teamed up with producers Chris Blackwell and Alex Sadkin, and Sly and Robbie, Wally Badarou, Barry Reynolds, Mikey Chung and Uziah "Sticky" Thompson, aka the Compass Point Allstars >

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...