Sign in to follow this  
Zacspeed

Panasonic 2007 Line Up Of Plasmas

If you are still going into the one HDMI input on the panel then I would assume that the panel would not know whether the source was DVD, PS3 etc. The setup on the panel is related to the one AV input so you can setup HDMI 1 different to HDMI 2 etc, not on the source signal I would have thought

Does the Panasonic 70/700 recognise the signal input so as to adjust settings.

What I mean is I know that each input on the TV can be calibrated individually but if you use a HDMI switching receiver so therefore only use the 1 HDMI socket for DVD, PS3, PVR, will the TV recognise the individual signal and change to preset settings?

Apparently the Pioneer has this feature, ive not heard of it on the Panasonic.

Hi Zacspeed,

I haven't been able to try this with HDMI, but I did have a number of component connections running via my Sony A/V Receiver to my 700A and it did not do anything to settings when I changed the sources on the receiver. The Pana would recognise that the source was changing from 576p (DVD) to 576i (Foxtel) for example, but settings would remain as they were on the Pana AV2 input.

My recommendation would be to use one of the three reconfigurable picture modes (Dynamic/Normal/Cinema) for each of your HDMI inputs. This way, when you connect you can just cycle to the picture mode which suits the device connected to the AV input on the Pana. This will only work in an envrionment where the lighting and other conditions don't change much though I guess. If you have the 700A, you'd still also have the Auto picture mode (CATS) available to play with for that though.

I ended up running each device into the A/V receiver's and TV's inputs seperately ;)

Hope this is some help!

Cheers,

Dr.

Bought the 700 from myer 2950 - also bought a wall mount and a extra 2 years warrentee. gets delivered tomorrow !

Hey Darian,......I'm in Sydney ...and Myer want a lot more than 2950 for the 700a......did you have to bargain hard?....what did they ask for initially?......I'm dead keen on getting one for 3 K if possible...anyone know where in Sydney?

Myer will come down pretty quick maskitoe, from the $3999 dreamland they live in. Maybe Im wrong but the 700a seems to be the fasted discounted (from release a few weeks back) panel yet.

Edited by superted

I've had a quick look at a 50PX70A and a 50PX700A. PQ is meant to be identical on both units which is true but I noticed on the 700A there is a 3D comb filter. What does that actually do, I discreetly noticed it making the picture on screen seem somewhat clearer but is it really such a worthwhile feature?

Just wondered why the 70A didnt have it.

I noticed on the 700A there is a 3D comb filter. Just wondered why the 70A didnt have it.

To enable a cheaper price and some model differentiation?

To enable a cheaper price and some model differentiation?

Is there any real difference in PQ though?

I've had a quick look at a 50PX70A and a 50PX700A. PQ is meant to be identical on both units which is true but I noticed on the 700A there is a 3D comb filter. What does that actually do, I discreetly noticed it making the picture on screen seem somewhat clearer but is it really such a worthwhile feature?

Just wondered why the 70A didnt have it.

both the 70a and 700a have that 3d comb filter (whatever it's meant to do!).

the only difference in the screens is that the 700a has that automatic contrast thing. also, apparently the 700a has some anti-glare covering (which isn't in the specs, so not sure where people have got that from?).

if you can get the 700a for the same price as the 70a (as some stores have been advertising the 700a at the 70a price by mistake!) then it's obviously worth getting! otherwise, it's just a matter of weighing up what you need and how much extra you want to pay for it.

both the 70a and 700a have that 3d comb filter (whatever it's meant to do!).

A comb filter splits a composite signals in to luminance (Y) and colour ( C ). i.e. essentially it takes a composite signal and outputs an S-Video signal. It would also be used on an analogue TV signal.

Good comb filters can make quite a difference for composite sources. For these good TVs where you should be using better connections like HDMI and component a good comb filter is essentially worthless.

Edited by Shonky*

Has anyone noticed buzzing noise from the rear of the unit. I assume some buzz is normal but how much. On the 70a I can notice that from the rear, generally the transformers on the left/right side there is a buzz and can be heard even from the back of the room.

Perhaps its room acoustics but I can hear it 3-4 metres back.

TV audio drowns the noise out but since you know its there you can still detect the buzz.

Anyone any comments?

A comb filter splits a composite signals in to luminance (Y) and colour ( C ). i.e. essentially it takes a composite signal and outputs an S-Video signal. It would also be used on an analogue TV signal.

Good comb filters can make quite a difference for composite sources. For these good TVs where you should be using better connections like HDMI and component a good comb filter is essentially worthless.

thanks for that - so it's great for my vcr connected via composite!

i've actually been pleasantly surprised at the quality of my old videos from my vcr - i expected it to be unwatchable, and it's not too bad. well, not great, but good enough to defer my buying a pvr for now. maybe that's the 3d comb filter doing it's thing!

thanks for that - so it's great for my vcr connected via composite!

i've actually been pleasantly surprised at the quality of my old videos from my vcr - i expected it to be unwatchable, and it's not too bad. well, not great, but good enough to defer my buying a pvr for now. maybe that's the 3d comb filter doing it's thing!

A good comb filter will prevent sharp edges where colour changes suddnely from having that fuzzy, dotty effect. I think they usually call it dot crawl... ah yes wikipedia for the win:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

That sums it all up very nicely actually :)

Has anyone noticed buzzing noise from the rear of the unit. I assume some buzz is normal but how much. On the 70a I can notice that from the rear, generally the transformers on the left/right side there is a buzz and can be heard even from the back of the room.

Perhaps its room acoustics but I can hear it 3-4 metres back.

TV audio drowns the noise out but since you know its there you can still detect the buzz.

Anyone any comments?

Sounds like it is pretty loud - my 600A is noticeable from right next to the back of the screen but once you get more than about a metre away I can't notice it

Just when you think we're starting to catch up on getting new panels released here, Panasonic has announced 7 new 1080p screens for Japan:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official....en070809-7.html

I spoke to my friend at HN and these 1080P Plasmas will be arriving in October. RRP on 42" will be about $4999.

I guess I finally found what panel I'm getting. Boo ya!

I spoke to my friend at HN and these 1080P Plasmas will be arriving in October. RRP on 42" will be about $4999.

Are you looking at getting the Panasonic 42" 1080p?

If so you might want to look at the comments a Panasonic technician made on the initial review of these units. Or perhaps consider a 50" or bigger.

Edited by Zacspeed

the only difference in the screens is that the 700a has that automatic contrast thing. also, apparently the 700a has some anti-glare covering (which isn't in the specs, so not sure where people have got that from?).

have you seen the units side by side? the anti-glare makes the movies watchable in brightly lit rooms while 70a you be looking at reflections rather then pictures. ppl have already said 700a anti-glare coating is the best out of all the plasmas out atm. that feature alone is worth the extra $400 if you dont have ambient lighting in the room.

Go the 50"

With Panasonic able to produce 42" plasmas with full 1080p resolution, does anyone expect they will also improve the resolution of their standard 42" models to 1366x 768?

Next question, would a normal DVD look better on a 42" screen displaying 1366x768 or a 42" screen displaying 1024x768?

With Panasonic able to produce 42" plasmas with full 1080p resolution, does anyone expect they will also improve the resolution of their standard 42" models to 1366x 768?

Next question, would a normal DVD look better on a 42" screen displaying 1366x768 or a 42" screen displaying 1024x768?

My best guess is that with all other things being equal, the two display resolutions you mentioned would be indistinguishable on a 42" screen at average living room viewing distances.

But a 1366 x 768 resolution may make it easier to achieve 1:1 pixel matching when being driven by a PC card though.

But even then, this difference is only likely to be noticeable when viewing at an arms distance from the screen ie: when using the screen as a PC monior.

Otherwise no difference at all.

1. No

2. Considering DVD is 576 lines it would need to be rescaled to fit either resolution - only benefit is the former is closer to true 16:9 ratio

couple of questions if anyone can help out.

Would the new models released in Japan work in Australia? Presumably they are intended to be for NTSC but not clear if they can run on Australian Pal system.

Also, do they work with 24 frames input?

Cheers

1. No

2. Considering DVD is 576 lines it would need to be rescaled to fit either resolution - only benefit is the former is closer to true 16:9 ratio

diesel,

does this mean that on a 1024x768 screen a 16:9 image is stretched out of normal proportion?

andrew

does this mean that on a 1024x768 screen a 16:9 image is stretched out of normal proportion?

No, the tv's scaler ensures that a 16:9 input is still shown as 16:9, without any weird stretching or anything, even though the unit has a nominally 4:3 aspect ration (going by the number of pixels).

The only time when the 1024x768 res might matter is if you're trying to feed it from a PC. If the plasma can 1:1 map, 1024x768 may looked stretched (due to the fact that they use rectangular pixels to get 16:9 from 1024x768). However, it's often now possible to change the aspect ratio in some video players to overcome this stretching, or I believe it might even be possible to set up your graphics driver to compensate for rectangular pixels. The other option is to send a standard 16:9 resolution (like 720p) to the tv and let it do the scaling.

For any other sort of video input, however, the 16:9 from 1024x768 thing will be a non-issue.

No, the tv's scaler ensures that a 16:9 input is still shown as 16:9, without any weird stretching or anything, even though the unit has a nominally 4:3 aspect ration (going by the number of pixels).

The only time when the 1024x768 res might matter is if you're trying to feed it from a PC. If the plasma can 1:1 map, 1024x768 may looked stretched (due to the fact that they use rectangular pixels to get 16:9 from 1024x768). However, it's often now possible to change the aspect ratio in some video players to overcome this stretching, or I believe it might even be possible to set up your graphics driver to compensate for rectangular pixels. The other option is to send a standard 16:9 resolution (like 720p) to the tv and let it do the scaling.

For any other sort of video input, however, the 16:9 from 1024x768 thing will be a non-issue.

so when i am displaying a full 720p image (ie.1280 x 720), how does the TV account for the fact that it cannot display all of the pixels horizontally? i know some scaling would be involved, but there are already sufficient pixels to fully display the correct image vertically....

i've been trying to get my head around that one for a while...

Edited by andrew81

I hear you mention that the Panasonic Technician did a review of the 42PZ700. What were his findings?

Also, this TV is going on my wall in my bedroom and although you are suggesting 50", it would be far too big for where I'm putting it.

Advice, anyone? CNet rated the 42" PZ as one of the best they've seen.