Sign in to follow this  
Zacspeed

Panasonic 2007 Line Up Of Plasmas

Hi Guys,

First time poster. I currently have a PS3 and lookng to buy a decent HDTV to connect it to. I have read through the specifications that say that the 70A can accept 1080p

but it also says that it can only input 1080i

Does this mean it does 1080p not through hdmi? Im confused.

My question is has anyone fed it a 1080p signal from a ps3 and weather the new forced 24hz feature has any effect?

Hi I have 70A Plasma HDTV ... see this website over difference between 1080i and p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i#1080i_vs_1080p more details

My set has Input plug comes with 2 HDMI,VGA(D-DUP 15pin) SVHS,RCA,Component (RGB) and with audio.

Output - Monitor (RCA), Digital Audio(Fiber Optic)

The signal supports Analogue,SD,HD

Type signal for Componet - 480i/p 60Hz, 576i/p 50Hz, 720i 50Hz/p 60Hz, 1080i 50Hz,60Hz

HDMI - same as above with 1080p 50Hz,60Hz

PC (D-sub) signal support from 640X400 to 1366x788, 1280x1024 60Hz

Anyway I watch my movies my (high definition player NTD36HD) with DVI-D Dual output of signal 1080p or 1080i to HDMI Works fine in best HD picture (U can buy DVI-D/I to HDMI Cable

xbox,playstation should work on this model Panasonic 70A in HDMI Only (if u want to use 1080p)

Warning Only Componet does not support 1080p 50Hz,60Hz OK only 1080i 50Hz,60Hz

Aspect Ratio support for AVI 1 to 4, Component/HDMI different size of 16.9, 14.9, just(Auto), 4:3, 4:3 Full, Zoom1,2,3

I don't have a PS3 and i wish to have one.

Just checked the supported input signals in the manual and in that both 1080p50 and 1080p60 are supported over HDMI (although you're right - at the moment it seems as if HDMI only supports 1080i). This would seem to indicate that the list of specs on the Panasonic website are not entirely correct. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that it can take a 1080 signal at either 50 or 60 hz.

edit: the forced 24hz feature on the PS3 isn't going to make any difference as the 70A won't accept a 24hz signal - in fact you'll probably get a blank screen if you try to use it.

My DVD player suposedly outputs 1080p50 and 1080p60 over hdmi. When I set it to one of these settings my 50px70a recognises the input as 1080p. Are they both lying?

I'm not overly concerned as I can't tell any difference between having the DVD player set to 720p and 1080i/p so have just left it as 720p. I was just curious.

According to the Manual, it can take 1080p 50/60 input over HDMI.

It can accept a 1080p signal but will then down scale it to suit the panels native resolution (1024x768[42"] or 1366x768[50"]). Don't get too hung up on it guys.

It can accept a 1080p signal but will then down scale it to suit the panels native resolution (1024x768[42"] or 1366x768[50"]). Don't get too hung up on it guys.

I'm not at all hung up on it. As mentioned my DVD player is set to 720p. Was just making the point that people are saying HDMI only supports 1080i, yet I can set my DVD to 1080p and the TV says that it is recieving 1080p.

Is one or both of them lying or can HDMI actually run 1080p?

I'm not at all hung up on it. As mentioned my DVD player is set to 720p. Was just making the point that people are saying HDMI only supports 1080i, yet I can set my DVD to 1080p and the TV says that it is recieving 1080p.

Is one or both of them lying or can HDMI actually run 1080p?

No, noone/nothing is lying - as I said, the panel will accept 1080p over hdmi at either 50 or 60hz (but not 24hz as was being asked about). It will only accept 1080i over component though. My original point may not have been clear enough - it seems like the panel will only accept 1080i over HDMI if you only go on the specs on the Pana website, but the specs in the manual (as well as your experience) indicates that these specs are wrong.

However, as diesel has pointed out, the panel can't actually display 1080p as it only has a resolution of 1366x768 (for the 50" model), so it downscales the 180op signal to fit its native resolution.

Hi MR08,

I'm in the hunt and tossing up between the Sammy Q9, the PX70 (though the Mrs has all but ruled that out for it's not so 'designer' look) and the PX700. Improvements I have been able to find so far for the PX700 over the PX70 are:

- Additional HDMI input on front of panel (for total of 3)

- Addition of SDHC Card Slot (for photos only I beleive, not video?)

- C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) - adjusts contrast automatically based on ambient lighting conditions

- PIP/PAT/PAP (2-tuner)

- SRS TruSurround XT processing

- Smart Sound Speaker System (31 W (15.5W + 15.5 W)) - said to be very good quality according to UK reviews

- Swivel pedestal stand

- Made in Japan (apparently the PX70 will not be for much longer...)

- UNCONFIRMED: there is mention of an anti-glare screen coating in this model for continental Europe, but it has not shown up on models released in the UK, so until it is seen here, I am not sure about that one. It's not in the listed spec anyway.

Given that you are able to get online pricing for the PX700 as low as $3,199 (see earlier post on previous page), it's pretty good value still even over the PX70, that is assuming you would utilise the featured improvements as shown - I know I would be.

Cheers,

Doc.

1. If I am using an Onkyo amp/receiver with 3 HDMI inputs, why would more than one HDMI on the Panasonic 700A be useful for me?

2. Is it confirmed that the PX700A has an anti-glare screen?

3. Why is 'Made in Japan' better than 'Made in China'?

1. If I am using an amp/receiver, why would more than one HDMI be useful for me?

1. for the future, blue ray comes in hdmi, maybe a vid camera for yourself later on?

2. 700a has anti-glare, i have seen it, and its beautiful!

3. people have a pre-conceived notion that the chinese made electronics are done carelessly. ( dont know myself, i'll be buying japanese )

Looking on the panasonic website, it states the 50px70a has a life of 60,000 hours.

How accurate is that figure? And is the 700A life of 60,000 hours too?

Looking on the panasonic website, it states the 50px70a has a life of 60,000 hours.

How accurate is that figure? And is the 700A life of 60,000 hours too?

the pana site says its 60,000 hrs, so i'd beleive so!

1. If I am using an Onkyo amp/receiver with 3 HDMI inputs, why would more than one HDMI on the Panasonic 700A be useful for me?

1. It wouldn't be. The third HDMI slot is nice to have but at some point you're either going to AV receiver or if you're desperate, a HDMI switch...Either way, it's not worth a premium.

2. Anti Glare. It's actually a very good anti-glare screen. That said, if you don't need or have problem w/ glare, it's not a big deal at all.

The 700a should be at most 200 more than the 70a....it's around 400+ right now..

Hi Guys,

I am part of the Panasonic group buy and expecting my shiny new 50PX700A very soon... wondering if anyone out there already has one of these, and if so can confirm for me if the panel has a 'monitor out'? While not in HD, I wouldn't mind the option of connecting to a DVD recorder without need for another DVB tuner.

There is one on the 42/50PX70A according to it's user guide, but the 50PX700A user guide is not yet available so I'm not so sure. The European equivalent, the 50PX700E doesn't, hence my concern...

:unsure:

Cheers,

Doc.

Hey Guys,

Got my dvd player (LG DV289H) connected to the tv using the HDMI cable. At the moment, dolby digital is output as bitstream from the dvd player. When doing this, there is no sound on the tv. If i change the output to PCM, I get sound through the tv.

The dvd player is also connected to a receiver and want it to receive the digital signal, but also want to be able to listen on tv when nephew is over watching a kiddies movie.

Should the tv be able to process the bitstream audio?

Hi Guys,

I am part of the Panasonic group buy and expecting my shiny new 50PX700A very soon... wondering if anyone out there already has one of these, and if so can confirm for me if the panel has a 'monitor out'? While not in HD, I wouldn't mind the option of connecting to a DVD recorder without need for another DVB tuner.

There is one on the 42/50PX70A according to it's user guide, but the 50PX700A user guide is not yet available so I'm not so sure. The European equivalent, the 50PX700E doesn't, hence my concern...

:unsure:

Cheers,

Doc.

According to the specs sheet, it has a monitor out and a L&R Stereo/Optical SPDIF.

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001906.pdf

Hey Guys,

Got my dvd player (LG DV289H) connected to the tv using the HDMI cable. At the moment, dolby digital is output as bitstream from the dvd player. When doing this, there is no sound on the tv. If i change the output to PCM, I get sound through the tv.

The dvd player is also connected to a receiver and want it to receive the digital signal, but also want to be able to listen on tv when nephew is over watching a kiddies movie.

Should the tv be able to process the bitstream audio?

Anyone able to help me out here?

Dose anyone know if Panasonic will be releasing a 42PX700A model into the Australian market and if so what the RRP$ would be?

Cheers Burgs

Dose anyone know if Panasonic will be releasing a 42PX700A model into the Australian market and if so what the RRP$ would be?

Cheers Burgs

Hi Burgs,

It ain't in their Aussie 2007 Plasma line-up, at least from the marketing material anyway... as you have probably seen, there is such a unit in Europe, so they do exist - but perhaps not enough of market here for three Pana 42" plasma models to run side-by-side. The sales folk have it hard enough trying to tell you the difference between units without that! :P

Just up your intention by 8" and get the 50" 700A - I did... it's a beautiful thing :)

Cheers,

Doc.

Thanks to all , theres is lot of Info here. My Panny 700 HD projector needs a repair ($1500) after 7000 hrs of use and will be getting a Plat panel. Took a look at the Samsung 91 and the Pana 70 and 700. All Panels look great but I see a slightly more realistic pic with the Pana. and I also dont like the reflective stuff around the Samsung screen can be quite off putting some times.Also looked at the the Pioneer 50 inch but there is very little stock and I took a close look at 4 retailers this weekend and I thought the picture was a little softer than the other 2. Of the 4 (myer, JB, Retravision and the goodguys) myer was the best at $2600 fr the 70 and $3K for the 700. I was blown away......maybe something to do with Fathers day on the 2nd ??

Thanks for all the input

Hi Darian,

Which Myer was that at?

Thats an excellent deal, cant go wrong there.

Hi Darian,

Which Myer was that at?

Thats an excellent deal, cant go wrong there.

Meyer Garden City (Perth), said they had 50 in stock (70). but at this price think I might just get the 700.

Bought the 700 from myer 2950 - also bought a wall mount and a extra 2 years warrentee. gets delivered tomorrow !

Does the Panasonic 70/700 recognise the signal input so as to adjust settings.

What I mean is I know that each input on the TV can be calibrated individually but if you use a HDMI switching receiver so therefore only use the 1 HDMI socket for DVD, PS3, PVR, will the TV recognise the individual signal and change to preset settings?

Apparently the Pioneer has this feature, ive not heard of it on the Panasonic.