Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

HAHAHAHA!!!

Harvey Norman Everton Park (Brisbane) has just told me (and shown me on the screen) that the 700A does not come out till October 2007 and price is $4999.00.

I asked him "Are you sure that's right? There are plenty of people on a forum that have got them in the last 2 weeks" His reply... "They must be importing them themselves cause it's not out yet" (Even though they used the picture in their catalogue)

The best part of this ordeal was I drove 1.5kms to Retravision at Alderley to see it there for myself on display!

Once again the staff knowledge at Harvey Norman has amazed me. I wish they wouldn't ask if they can help me when I walk into their store. It only ends in a **** fight cause I ALWAYS get given wrong info.

You sure that you are not talking about the 50"PZ700a (ie not the PX700a) - This would be the correct price and release date for this screen. :blink:

Edited by Scalpel

Hi ozdick,

I think they just miss printed with the picture $3194 seams very cheap for an advertised price for a 700a. I think is it was Harvey Norman who stuffed up on the catalogue in Queensland aswell. It shows both the 70 and 700a next to each other with the correct prices but they showed the same picture of the 700a for both. An easy way to tell was that they quoted $3194 for the TV that only had 2 hdmi inputs.

This is not a missprint, it is a very deliberate trick that HN and JB especially have been doing for several years. They almost always print the pic of the higher model and in smallprint mention that the price is for the lower model. Shame on you Gerry!

Has anyone noticed buzzing noise from the rear of the unit. I assume some buzz is normal but how much. On the 70a I can notice that from the rear, generally the transformers on the left/right side there is a buzz and can be heard even from the back of the room.

Perhaps its room acoustics but I can hear it 3-4 metres back.

TV audio drowns the noise out but since you know its there you can still detect the buzz.

Anyone any comments?

I have a Pana 42PA60A (SD). It has about 20 dead pixels now on the screen and Panasonic are most likely going to replace it shortly. My question is that now this model is no longer sold does that mean I will get a new HD model?? Or will they try to track down an old model from somewhere?

A comb filter splits a composite signals in to luminance (Y) and colour ( C ). i.e. essentially it takes a composite signal and outputs an S-Video signal. It would also be used on an analogue TV signal.

Good comb filters can make quite a difference for composite sources. For these good TVs where you should be using better connections like HDMI and component a good comb filter is essentially worthless.

thanks for that - so it's great for my vcr connected via composite!

i've actually been pleasantly surprised at the quality of my old videos from my vcr - i expected it to be unwatchable, and it's not too bad. well, not great, but good enough to defer my buying a pvr for now. maybe that's the 3d comb filter doing it's thing!

Mornington (VIC) Retravision Stocktake Sale TH50PX700A : $3724 (with standard warranty only, units in stock).

Are there receipts posted anywhere for the TH50PX700A considerably lower than this?

I purchased the PX700A from Myer (Doncaster) store last week for much lower price than $3724, got delivered 2 days later. Ask for George if you are interested, the service was excellent. Forget about JB, HN, etc., not worth spending time talking to these people.

Thanks to Pieter, walked into JB's Knox (couldn't be bothered walking to Myer), said I want the

THPX50-70a. I want 3 yrs warranty. I want delivery. I want it for $2864. And I want it delivered

tomorrow (Sat). Salesperson consulted manager, came back and said 'Yep, I can do that!'. Walked

up to the counter, plonked it all on Visa, and was out of there in less than 15 mins, easy as! Delivery

confirmed 9:30am tomorrow morn!!

I sit 2.2m from my tv (Sony 68cm), will be a HUGE difference with a 127cm Panasonic!! Hope it's not

too big!

Thanks to Pieter, walked into JB's Knox (couldn't be bothered walking to Myer), said I want the

THPX50-70a. I want 3 yrs warranty. I want delivery. I want it for $2864. And I want it delivered

tomorrow (Sat). Salesperson consulted manager, came back and said 'Yep, I can do that!'. Walked

up to the counter, plonked it all on Visa, and was out of there in less than 15 mins, easy as! Delivery

I sit 2.2m from my tv (Sony 68cm), will be a HUGE difference with a 127cm Panasonic!! Hope it's not

too big!

thanks for that - so it's great for my vcr connected via composite!

i've actually been pleasantly surprised at the quality of my old videos from my vcr - i expected it to be unwatchable, and it's not too bad. well, not great, but good enough to defer my buying a pvr for now. maybe that's the 3d comb filter doing it's thing!

A good comb filter will prevent sharp edges where colour changes suddnely from having that fuzzy, dotty effect. I think they usually call it dot crawl... ah yes wikipedia for the win:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

That sums it all up very nicely actually :)

Has anyone noticed buzzing noise from the rear of the unit. I assume some buzz is normal but how much. On the 70a I can notice that from the rear, generally the transformers on the left/right side there is a buzz and can be heard even from the back of the room.

Perhaps its room acoustics but I can hear it 3-4 metres back.

TV audio drowns the noise out but since you know its there you can still detect the buzz.

Anyone any comments?

Sounds like it is pretty loud - my 600A is noticeable from right next to the back of the screen but once you get more than about a metre away I can't notice it

Just when you think we're starting to catch up on getting new panels released here, Panasonic has announced 7 new 1080p screens for Japan:

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official....en070809-7.html

I spoke to my friend at HN and these 1080P Plasmas will be arriving in October. RRP on 42" will be about $4999.

I guess I finally found what panel I'm getting. Boo ya!

too big!

I was a bit worried about 127cm being too big, but OMG it is excellent. I went in the spare room the other day, turned on my old 68cm tv and I cant believe I watched that size for so long. It seemed like I was watching a 34cm tv.

Awesome, awesome, awesome !!!! My TH50PX70a was delivered at 10:30am this morn, and all I can say is WOW !! Can't believe I've made do with my 68cm

for all this time! And as a previous poster noted, it did seem absolutely monstrous when I first put it up on the stand but within 15 mins, I was use to the

size. Am truely glad I didn't opt for the 42" size.

I spoke to my friend at HN and these 1080P Plasmas will be arriving in October. RRP on 42" will be about $4999.

I guess I finally found what panel I'm getting. Boo ya!

Are you looking at getting the Panasonic 42" 1080p?

If so you might want to look at the comments a Panasonic technician made on the initial review of these units. Or perhaps consider a 50" or bigger.

Edited by Zacspeed

the only difference in the screens is that the 700a has that automatic contrast thing. also, apparently the 700a has some anti-glare covering (which isn't in the specs, so not sure where people have got that from?).

have you seen the units side by side? the anti-glare makes the movies watchable in brightly lit rooms while 70a you be looking at reflections rather then pictures. ppl have already said 700a anti-glare coating is the best out of all the plasmas out atm. that feature alone is worth the extra $400 if you dont have ambient lighting in the room.

Awesome, awesome, awesome !!!! My TH50PX70a was delivered at 10:30am this morn, and all I can say is WOW !! Can't believe I've made do with my 68cm

for all this time! And as a previous poster noted, it did seem absolutely monstrous when I first put it up on the stand but within 15 mins, I was use to the

size. Am truely glad I didn't opt for the 42" size.

Dude I had the same exprience as you. I couldn't believe I watched a 68cm for so long it's so small.

The pana dwarfs this and you think Errr this is to big. 15mins later it's perfect.

I find it easier to get into a show/movie because of the size.

Glad you like the panel !

Should I invest in a HD upscaler? is it worth it. As I will be ripping DVD rips on to DVD's.