Sign in to follow this  
Brazzwald

Big W - Awa 42" Lcd - $1598

apolagies panasung. i was just assuming this tv was exactly the same as the aiko, bar the size.

question: when i run my hdstb through the aiko, the tv reads that its displaying 1920x1080i @50mhz...

is that a 1080i, or 720p capable tv? i assume 1080i, but i am new to all this talk. maybee there is something i am missing on this issue. (the display specs are definately coming from the tv, not from the stb. the stb panels look different.)

panasung, or anyone really?? :blink:

I've never heard of or investigated Aiko, but your TV is most likely just displaying the orginal input signal{Ch9 or Ch 10 1080i}, and then downconverting it to your TV's max resolution{720p}.

720p TV's are a good overall choice because of SDTV/DVD/Foxtel, IOW, it's possible that all SD stuff will look worse on 1080 HDTV's.

Went into BigW and saw the AWA. It was connected to an AWA dvd player via composites and playing an animated unfimiliar film The pq on panning was really bad. Almost jerky and I would not even consider buying it. I don't know whether it was the source material or the screen itself as I didn't have time to ask the sales dude. The AIKO 32" looked very much better on FTA.

Its been Like 1 week and STILL I wait for a review of this LCD haha, It does look okay instore but SD TV isnt really the greatest of test material. Can someone who has purchased these please tell me how it copes with HD gaming(I want it for PS3 :blink: )

Lookin at forking out the extra grand for the 40" Samsung LCD with HD tuner is there a review of THAT anywhere?

I've never heard of or investigated Aiko, but your TV is most likely just displaying the orginal input signal{Ch9 or Ch 10 1080i}, and then downconverting it to your TV's max resolution{720p}.

720p TV's are a good overall choice because of SDTV/DVD/Foxtel, IOW, it's possible that all SD stuff will look worse on 1080 HDTV's.

i follow..... cheers. panasung :D

....back to the AWA :P

sorry everyone :blink:

Its been Like 1 week and STILL I wait for a review of this LCD haha, It does look okay instore but SD TV isnt really the greatest of test material. Can someone who has purchased these please tell me how it copes with HD gaming(I want it for PS3 :blink: )

Lookin at forking out the extra grand for the 40" Samsung LCD with HD tuner is there a review of THAT anywhere?

Why viewing distance do you expect to use?

Even at 2 meters you will be struggling to see a difference between a 40” 1080 and 40” 768 display.

Sorry I was referring to the 1366x768 Resolution Samsung not the 1080P model..That would be a little more expensive...Oh yeah viewing distance 2-3 metres

Just wondered if the AWA is worth purchasing or heading for a big name witha bigger hit to the wallet??

Edited by Shasty

Sorry I was referring to the 1366x768 Resolution Samsung not the 1080P model..That would be a little more expensive...Oh yeah viewing distance 2-3 metres

Just wondered if the AWA is worth purchasing or heading for a big name witha bigger hit to the wallet??

After having watched the boxing on a 40in Samsung LCD last night{with higher specs than the AWA}, I believe that you'll be disappointed with it's SDTV PQ.

Get the Panasonic 42in Plasma HDTV and live happily ever after{you can also buy a 50in Sony 3LCD for that money as well}, but stay away from large LCD's for SDTV.

I dont intend to be watching SDTV I mentioned that was displayed on the AWA when I saw it.

What I DID say was that I wanted it for PS3 use and HTPC duties to some extent. I have seen the Pana 42" PLASMA for $2300 AND the Samsung 42" PLASMA with HD tuner for the same price, although the Samsung does look more stylish and is intended for game use more so with its "Game Mode."

SO is anyone going to tell me about the AWA or Just alternatives to a product no-one seems to have tested...

Man, Im really looking at one of these sets. Mainly for using IMs and browsing casually in bed :blink: .

I was at the local DSE today (They sell a rebrand of the exact same product here in New Zealand), and they had it rigged up to a PC. It was looping HD game trailers for 360 games via VGA. It looks amazing, good motion, very reasonible blacks (especially for the price). It was right in the door, so there was plenty of sunlight on it.

Anyone had one of these for an extended time period now, and would like to offer wisdom and guidance?

Oh, and incase anyone is intersted, the DSE New Zealand site has the manual online for this display here:

http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/G9442_Manual.pdf

Im very, very certain its the exact same display as this Awa one.

I prefer the look of LCD to plasma and got one of these from Big W the day they were released. I took a gamble on the picture quality based on the Big W return policy but am happy enough with it not to bother. I’ve got an SD tuner connected via AV, and a DVD player via component. I’m waiting for HD tuner PVR’s with HDMI to be more reasonably priced before I bother with those so can’t report on how they look. Also I don’t game and haven’t bothered hooking up my PC yet so can’t comment on that. I can however say that for the price I am pleased with the richness and quality of the picture. I’m sure that in a store next to a Samsung or Sony with the same setup they would no doubt be better but then the price is in a different league, at home with nothing better beside it to me it looks great. I’ve noticed that as with most things what you get out of it depends on what you put into it, a childrens DVD with computer generated graphics and vivid colours looks great, but using the inbuilt analogue tuner doesn’t compare, I’m looking forward to the day I have that HD tuner with HDMI. The sound quality is good, on the negative side the remote control requires strong depressions at times for it to register, and skin tones can look pasty and patchy on the SD tuner (only for close ups of faces – smaller shots you don’t notice), its not as apparent via DVD. When I got it home I didn’t notice any dead pixels, after about a week I noticed (only by a close-up look) one pixel is dimmer than others surrounding. I watch from about 2.5-3 metres and at that distance you can’t see it so it doesn’t bother me. I would have liked a longer warranty but once again I’m taking the gamble that any issues will surface in the first year. A few days after buying I noticed that WOW $1499 deal on the Acer but had already bought, I suppose if I was buying today I would go to that store to check them out but on the other hand the discount is by manufacturer rebate, those things can be a hassle. Hope this helps some of you make a decision, if I try any other video source or have any other issues I’ll post.

Hope this helps some of you make a decision, if I try any other video source or have any other issues I’ll post.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Just looked at one of these at BigW hooked up to DVD with component cables and it looked good.

I really want to connect to PC using HDMI - does any one have any experience? What is the picture like? Will it do 720p @ 50Hz?

Thanks

TB

I prefer the look of LCD to plasma and got one of these from Big W the day they were released. I took a gamble on the picture quality based on the Big W return policy but am happy enough with it not to bother. I’ve got an SD tuner connected via AV, and a DVD player via component. I’m waiting for HD tuner PVR’s with HDMI to be more reasonably priced before I bother with those so can’t report on how they look. Also I don’t game and haven’t bothered hooking up my PC yet so can’t comment on that. I can however say that for the price I am pleased with the richness and quality of the picture. I’m sure that in a store next to a Samsung or Sony with the same setup they would no doubt be better but then the price is in a different league, at home with nothing better beside it to me it looks great. I’ve noticed that as with most things what you get out of it depends on what you put into it, a childrens DVD with computer generated graphics and vivid colours looks great, but using the inbuilt analogue tuner doesn’t compare, I’m looking forward to the day I have that HD tuner with HDMI. The sound quality is good, on the negative side the remote control requires strong depressions at times for it to register, and skin tones can look pasty and patchy on the SD tuner (only for close ups of faces – smaller shots you don’t notice), its not as apparent via DVD. When I got it home I didn’t notice any dead pixels, after about a week I noticed (only by a close-up look) one pixel is dimmer than others surrounding. I watch from about 2.5-3 metres and at that distance you can’t see it so it doesn’t bother me. I would have liked a longer warranty but once again I’m taking the gamble that any issues will surface in the first year. A few days after buying I noticed that WOW $1499 deal on the Acer but had already bought, I suppose if I was buying today I would go to that store to check them out but on the other hand the discount is by manufacturer rebate, those things can be a hassle. Hope this helps some of you make a decision, if I try any other video source or have any other issues I’ll post.

Hi mate what is the acer deal you refer to? link?

Thanks

Craig

Hi mate what is the acer deal you refer to? link?

Thanks

Craig

From memory around April they had a $150 Acer cash back, plus some retailers had very attractive prices. I have been lusting after a new TV for a while now, but have been on a V strict budget for a few months...But now am looking to spend around $1500 on a new display, so any suggestions. The AT3705-DTV has rather caught my eye. Getting bit off thread tho'....

From memory around April they had a $150 Acer cash back, plus some retailers had very attractive prices. I have been lusting after a new TV for a while now, but have been on a V strict budget for a few months...But now am looking to spend around $1500 on a new display, so any suggestions. The AT3705-DTV has rather caught my eye. Getting bit off thread tho'....

ok thank you

I'm looking for a set in this price range. Which do u think is better the Aldi or the Awa? At the moment I plan to get a Aldi set. If the Aldi set satisfies my needs (will connect to my myth tv box (just installed myth now need a suitable display)) i'll stick with it otherwise depending on whether ppl think the Awa would be better I might return my Aldi set and try it out. Has anyone tried to return a awa screen? Is the return policy as flexible as Aldi's return policy (Aldi policy seems to be retrun within 60 days for a refund for any reason)?

Long time 30" aiko owner so when I saw the new 42" aiko (AWA) my heart skipped a beat esp at the price!

$1498 for a Phillips/LG panel are you Joking!?

Only problem, not one of the posters here actually own the thing so should I risk it?

Too right I do. Every bit as good as the 30" aiko! As someone mentioned earlier both made by ktv in Korea.

can't stress enough that bigw have no idea how to demo their TVs. Got it home patched through the macmini for HDTV and wow! Exceptional on every level. Blacks as deep as a pioneer or Sony gee probably not but what kind of fool would spend 2-3k more for a marginal difference? I could afford and there are limits (no soniq or aver for me thanks) but you can't beat this tv for value for money.

highly recommended!

Edited by ekiwi

I brought this unit after i saw the price im kinda happy with it.

First off i hadto take the 1st unit back, i was playing halo3 and on the front of the tv they have a on/off switch, instead of turning it off with the remote i turnd it off using that switch.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! i went to turn the tv on the next day and it wouldnt turn on? wtf? when it eventually turnd on i tryed turning the volume up and it turned off?????

This was on the long weeknd so i had no tv for 3 days, i rand bigw and they said ring awa so i hadto wait until tuesday, they said it could be going into protection mode and to take ti back to bigw, bigw did a straight swap and new tv is running ok!!!! i havnt touchd front switch since!!!!!

I think it was a good price and apart from 1st tv breaking i think its ok for a cheap tv.

My only gripe is the inputs, more then one component would be nice, i hadto upgrade to a 360elite for the hdmi so i could utilise all the connections.

Im running a Lg pvr and the picture is good, plus the lg remote works with the tv cause its a Lg pannel, Halo3 looks fantastic through hdmi so im quite happy

I'd rather go for the phillips which is $500 more 42". the Awa picture was nowhere near as nice as the phillips.

Guest EZYHD

Aliflair,

Paragraphs would be nice.

I'd rather go for the phillips which is $500 more 42". the Awa picture was nowhere near as nice as the phillips.

swish do you have a link to the philips?

i'm looking to buy our first lcd/plasma

saw this one in BigW just now at $998 and it was connected via composite to an sd box

picture quality looked good to me

we'll be using it to watch tv via our topfield 7000hdpvrt and dvd's via our pioneer - hdmi or composite from toppy and composite or svideo from dvd

3yr warranty

i know there are snobs out there that claim the contrast ratio is not the best etc... but could i get some useful feedback about bang for $$ about this lcd

Hi

I actually bought one of these units about a year ago.

It still works, I make visual effects for film all day for a living, so I know about colour.

This TV isnt an award winner, but A Current Affair and the evening news look great.

If you want to see a movie go to the cinema.

Couple of things, using a cheap digi crystal HD-STB with an equally cheap cable, sometimes the rgb vs yuv signal gets muddled: so you get a purple and green image, if you give the STB a switch in signal it clears up and all is well

Also the PC input only seems to work at 1024x768 @ (50?Hz)

I have an nvidia quadro 350 m which drives a 1900x1200 internal lappy screen so its definately capable of more

I have messed around with different Xorg settings under linux trying to get it to do hdtv resolutions without much luck

Windows isnt much better.

does anybody have a decent how to on using this to the best of its ability with a htpc?

i'm looking to buy our first lcd/plasma

saw this one in BigW just now at $998 and it was connected via composite to an sd box

picture quality looked good to me

we'll be using it to watch tv via our topfield 7000hdpvrt and dvd's via our pioneer - hdmi or composite from toppy and composite or svideo from dvd

3yr warranty

i know there are snobs out there that claim the contrast ratio is not the best etc... but could i get some useful feedback about bang for $$ about this lcd

I would not buy an AWA TV again because if it breaks down the chances are it cannot be fixed. I had an AWA 81cm LCD a few years ago that developed a fault (the backlight stayed on when the TV was switched off), took it to the service agent then 2 months later they told me they could not get parts for it (or several other AWA TVs in their workshop).