Sign in to follow this  
hotwrc

New Samsung 1080p Models?

Personally I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on electronics off an unproven retailer. But I will print their pages to use as bargaining chips in a store! I talked $1200 off the price of the 40" at Harvey Norman using the price offered by one of these electronic warehouses.

Salesmen often say you will need to offer the price of delivery etc. to add credibility to their own prices, but simply tell them you can pick it up from the warehouse.

Delivery is only ever $50 or $60 from someone like JB or HN if you're in the general area. One of those online ones quoted just $31 to my postcode (4012). That *was* an automated quote though.

That said, I would prefer to go to someone like Harvey Norman so I can talk to someone in person I think. They also have that price guarantee although it does have to be: "broadcast on commercial radio, telecast on commercial television or published in a daily newspaper (other than in the classified section) by a local competitor"

How long is the extended warranty? I thought all Samsungs came with three-years, or do you want a longer one?

The extended warranty was for another 2 years, giving me 5 years in total. I wasn't really going to bother, but I thought what the hell :blink:

Has anybody from the Toowoomba area bought a M8 series and if so how mutch did you pay and what size did you buy.

I am looking at purchasing a 40 inch today.

A week to clear a bank cheque? wtf? A personal cheque maybe, but a bank cheque should be as good as cash :|

Bank cheques always have the same waiting time on them as personal cheques. The shop's perspective is that it could be a forgery and so it still has to go through the full clearing process.

Bank cheques always have the same waiting time on them as personal cheques. The shop's perspective is that it could be a forgery and so it still has to go through the full clearing process.

Meh, when I got my pc (around 2.5k) I paid with bank cheque. They just called the bank to verify the cheque and it was all good.

i paid for a 10k car with a bank cheque.... no probs. I'm sure it's as good as cash, becuase the money comes out of your bank as soon as the bank gives you the cheque...

i paid for a 10k car with a bank cheque.... no probs. I'm sure it's as good as cash, becuase the money comes out of your bank as soon as the bank gives you the cheque...

Not necessarily, a bank cheque can be cancelled after it has been issued. You can get the bank to cancel the cheque saying it was lost then issue that lost cheque to a retailer.

Noddy

There's a 2 day policy to allow bank cheques to clear. This is because a whole book of Westpac bank cheques were stolen so now it's pretty much standard policy.

But then, it's up to the retailers discretion as to whether they're going to accept it straight away or wait till it clears.

Was quoted $4k even for the 46" today.

According to the salesperson they bought them for $3978 so their margin is quite small.

According to the salesperson they bought them for $3978 so their margin is quite small.

And I have a bridge ready and waiting to sell you :blink:

(Always, *always* take a salesperson's claim of "cost price" as seriously as you would the existence of Santa Claus and his elves :D)

You honestly believe they'll stock a TV so they can sell it for $22 profit?

You honestly believe they'll stock a TV so they can sell it for $22 profit?

Unlikely, but they probably don't factor rebates into the cost price

Unlikely, but they probably don't factor rebates into the cost price

Exactly; armed with rebate information you could do some devastating haggling.

"Exactly; armed with rebate information you could do some devastating haggling."

ask any knowledgable person and you can easily get an 'idea' on the rebate % the main retailers make...

though with the way the pricing in some stores are these days, instead of using the rebate to cover expenses/minimum profit levels, they are utilising it to gain business, which is indeed a short term gain

can anyone say "Retravision-NSW"

Bought the 46inch at Chadstone Harvey Norman on Friday night- haggled on the phone till I got price matching with the online stores exeltec & that digital centre in St albans etc, etc, that appear earlier in this thread- I got them to match that one from Lidcombe NSW for $3718- said that I was paying cash via phone conversations- just to get them down as low as they would go- Damien the franchisee in Cranbourne said he'd match it- I dropped that I was interested in buying other stuff for my new place- PS3 dryer, etc,etc- But I don't have that much cash for all the items- what's deal with interest free?- said add 10%- Cranbourne was too far a drive- so I haggled Chadstone HN to match the price too- they gave me PS3 & the 46 inch Sammy for $4600 cash- dropped the same deal as Cranbourne once in store- they ummed & erred for 10 mins- franchisee John gave the ok- dealt with shop assist michael- ended up with 32 mths interest free on PS3 & sammy $4600 + 10%= $5042- could probably got the PS3 for less online but thats another story- so guys, if you've got cash in hand $3720 is available at Chady & Cranbourne HN's- so other stores should too. off to the owners thread now happy hunting :blink:

"Exactly; armed with rebate information you could do some devastating haggling."

ask any knowledgable person and you can easily get an 'idea' on the rebate % the main retailers make...

though with the way the pricing in some stores are these days, instead of using the rebate to cover expenses/minimum profit levels, they are utilising it to gain business, which is indeed a short term gain

can anyone say "Retravision-NSW"

So, what is the % then? From what you say you should be able to provide us with at least some information.

Hi, was wondering if u guys can give me some advice as to whether or not this is an ok price.

Long story shorten version :D Bought a Soniq 42" form JB Perth for $2200 to use as tv and monitor on pc only to find

that it doesn't do 1920x1080 over vga for the games :blink:( They are willing to upgrade to a Samsung 40" la40m81 for $3400

which they say is cost price to them.

Do u think this is too high, as i see some of u getting $3250 delivered ! Does the location here in Perth put the price up that much ?

HN would do over the phone $3600 cash not much haggling on my part.

Also will this be ok for lots of pc gaming or am i being silly ?

Thanks for help.

was that soniq the $999 42" advertised here? (melbourne)

What have you got against a 50" Plasma for gaming? faster image for racing etc. 1366x768 is enough for pc monitor and browsing from a distance over over about 2 meters.

Unfortunately JB has you by the balls as you are trying to return a non-defective item, so i doubt that they will do any good prices at all for you regarding an exchange, and for them to say they'll replace a panel at cost price is just a joke.

I suggest you go a larger plasma, try and screw a price (do some research) and read the manual / spec sheet before you buy!!

Nah it was the $2500 1920x1080 one but will only do 1280x1024 or so. It was a demo one they had for the ps3 and didn't have

a manual but the saleman said it would do that res on the pc , so they have agreed to replace it or upgrade to true 1080 model or ...

haven't pressed for my monies back since they prob won't ( as it was not mentioned in options i could take )

So i asked what was the cheapest 1080 model they had and samsung was mentioned, hence my questions :blink:

Taa for input.

Hi, was wondering if u guys can give me some advice as to whether or not this is an ok price.

Long story shorten version :D Bought a Soniq 42" form JB Perth for $2200 to use as tv and monitor on pc only to find

that it doesn't do 1920x1080 over vga for the games :blink:( They are willing to upgrade to a Samsung 40" la40m81 for $3400

which they say is cost price to them.

Do u think this is too high, as i see some of u getting $3250 delivered ! Does the location here in Perth put the price up that much ?

HN would do over the phone $3600 cash not much haggling on my part.

Also will this be ok for lots of pc gaming or am i being silly ?

Thanks for help.

I bought a M81 for $3150 at HN moore park NSW. 3400 ISNT cost dude :P

I bought a M81 for $3150 at HN moore park NSW. 3400 ISNT cost dude :)

Wondering what is the cheapest for 46" M86 now? Think it should be real cheap at end of financial year.

Wondering what is the cheapest for 46" M86 now? Think it should be real cheap at end of financial year.

Yep will let you know on the weekend. I am going to smack up Clive Peeters and quote Hardly Normal at $3150... If you are buying a M81 46" for more than this you are nutz.. Go forth en masse and crunch those hifi warehouse wannabe's!!! Aiming for sub $3000 ... cash. will sweeten deal by getting a couch and coffee table...!! :)

Will prices go down further post June 30? Just want to know when is the optimum time to haggle...

Will prices go down further post June 30? Just want to know when is the optimum time to haggle...

There are two ways you can look at this.

Firstly, retailers always like to make their end of financial year figures look good, and are usually quite keen to do good deals prior to June 30. And this is also a good time for them to get rid of old stock that they think has been sitting in the warehouse too long. These are all factors which can contribute to good prices before June 30.

On the other hand, after the frenetic pace of June, July can be a very quiet month sales-wise and sometimes a salesman’s arm can be twisted for a good deal. But this is not all that likely to happen in early July though. Getting towards the end of the month is a time when they'll be thinking "geez, it's been a quiet month and we need to lift the sales figures a bit before the end of the month arrives", and so are more likely to be doing some good deals to achieve that. This 'end-of-month' situation can apply to all major domestic purchases, and also applies very much to the purchase of motor vehicles -for any month of the year!

Just be aware that what may seem be a good value price for an item may not be! You need to be aware of the possibility of showroom display stock being put back into their boxes & then being claimed as being brand new; and another variation where an item which has already been sold once but was returned because it had a fault of some kind -and now the retailer just wants to get rid of it. Hopefully retailers are more honest than that, but being quoted a price which is way lower than the average should make you stop & wonder why!

One other reason why an item may be discounted could be because that item missed the boat when the manufacture did a product recall to correct some problem or other. I believe Samsung did a product recall recently to do firmware upgrades -but did all the sets in store warehouses get done?

As always, it's a case of "Caveat Emptor" -let the buyer beware…!

Guest jon10210

there should be new ones comming at any time . I will try fine out if that media page gvies any update details as time comes. Would be fantastic to see new ones comming and that the current 1080 plasmas will be redeuce down to price while theas new ones comes out on sale.