Sign in to follow this  
hotwrc

New Samsung 1080p Models?

Thats cool, but would you mind disclosing your viewing distance please mate.

Oh, forgot. Varies from 1.5 metres (when viewing on my own, which is most of the time) to about 3.5 metres.

Main motivation for me going 46" LCD instead of plasma was mainly 1080p (with the view of futureproofing) for blu-ray & HD-DVD (I have a PS3 and XBOX360) and gaming of course (avoid burn-in issues)... finally the price.... even though my preference was a Plasma.... but I don't think I'm that picky with images so if I saw an LCD on it's own, I wouldn't be able to tell much difference, unless I saw it next to a plasma... Viewing distance ranges from 3.3m on the couch to about 5.5 from the dinner table :blink: Yes, my lounge and connecting dining room are all centred around the TV

Many thanks, supacheap1 - that's very kind! If you'd be able to compare sideways panning movement (especially in fast-action scenes) from your laptop

Sure, no problem, will do, when it arrives :D I will be watching many DIVx with lots of action scenes... like when they're running in prison break/lost/heroes :P just remind me if you dont hear from me ok?

I just called Harvey Norman to get a quote on upsizing. The salesperosn I dealt with in Friday wasn't in so I spoke to someone else instead. He told me about $4500 was the lowest they can go given they haven't yet received stock. I told him others have been getting it for sub-4 and he pretty much gave me a straight out no. I will strongly consider it for sub-$4k, but no way for anything over.

In that case it may be worth ringing a Sydney stores and getting them to send it to you if all they can do is sub-4... You could probably get it for 4 delivered...

By the way, any reason why not many ppl consider the Sharp Aquos? It's pretty nice... I don't like the look and the price though.

By the way, any reason why not many ppl consider the Sharp Aquos? It's pretty nice... I don't like the look and the price though.

I'd say you just asked and answered your own question :blink:

Hi PanaSung. Well, I demo'd the Sony X in one of the "official" Sony Stores here in Auckland. Which means that the X was connected to a PS3 (of course!), which can't do DVD up-scaling at present So I'm reasonably confident there was no up-scaling being done, except by the TV. PS3 was connected via HDMI. We compared the same scene in xXx (the Vin Diesel motorbike scene) on Blu-Ray and DVD, and DVD suffered from upscaling problems,

CB

Yep....large 1080 LCD's and low grade sources don't mesh.

If people are going to use DVD on this TV, they should also grab an upscaling DVD player or figure out how to use the upscaler in their DVD recorder.

Ideal viewing distances for 1920x1080 displays showing true 1920x1080 video are:

40” 1.6 meters

46” 1.8 meters

52” 2.1 meters

At greater distances the human eye looses the ability to fully resolve 1080 resolution. You will be able to see more detail on a 50” 768 display at 3 meters then a 46” 1080 display at the same distance and a lot more then on a 40" 1080.

So if you don’t plan on viewing from close to the above maximum distances for the relevant screen size, display resolution should be low on your priority list.

Other performance factors will be far more important then display resolution, no matter how high res you video source, now or in 5 years time. So the notion that 1080 displays are required for “future proofing” is false unless you intent to sit close enough to the screen.

Just picked up the 46' for 4k from John at the Dandenong JB.

Also got a 2.4m PureAV DVI-HDMI cable for $110 to hook up to the pc.

I'll have it all set up in the next few hours. If your after pics just yell out.

Just picked up the 46' for 4k from John at the Dandenong JB.

Also got a 2.4m PureAV DVI-HDMI cable for $110 to hook up to the pc.

I'll have it all set up in the next few hours. If your after pics just yell out.

DUDE! shafted hardcore on the cable.

I don't think the price is too bad, maybe your right, but I didn't want to have to wait for one to be sent and couldn't be bothered haggling for a couple bux.

Yeah, got a cable for $30 from jaycar (dvi-d to hdmi). The only downside is in order to use the digital audio from my pc in the tv I would've had to go dvi to dsub. This won't be a problem once I get an amp and speakers (next purchase).

Owen, I guess I'll just have to sit closer to the LCD then :blink:

Hehe... yeah when i got a good price on the tv, yeah that's when they tried to sell the $150 cables.... did some research and i just bought the UGLY brand cables from ebay as recommended by others on this forum. about $35 delivered, 1.5m... i dont mind it cos it will arrive tmr and my tv arrives today... so i'm not fussed about the wait :D But if you've already bought them then you've bought them, no point ppl telling us we shouldn't have got this or that after we bought them, unless we can return them hehehhee... And at least you dont have to wonder, what if i bought a more expensive cable...

maybe you could borrow someone's cheapy hdmi cable and tell us if it makes any diff compared to your blingy ones

maybe you could borrow someone's cheapy hdmi cable and tell us if it makes any diff compared to your blingy ones

Its a digital signal, I really doubt its going to make a huge difference. the 0s and 1s are gonna get there, or their not. simple as that.

Its a digital signal, I really doubt its going to make a huge difference. the 0s and 1s are gonna get there, or their not. simple as that.

Yeah exactly what I've been reading... Better quality cables matter only over longer distances, say >5m... But thanks to those who told me that the monster's weren't necessary :D saved myself $100. I used to use Monster cables in my car audio and they were awesome, so I kinda had a soft spot for them :blink:

Ahhh... not long til the TV arrives................. should be sooooon

Ideal viewing distances for 1920x1080 displays showing true 1920x1080 video are:

40” 1.6 meters

46” 1.8 meters

52” 2.1 meters

At greater distances the human eye looses the ability to fully resolve 1080 resolution. You will be able to see more detail on a 50” 768 display at 3 meters then a 46” 1080 display at the same distance and a lot more then on a 40" 1080.

So if you don’t plan on viewing from close to the above maximum distances for the relevant screen size, display resolution should be low on your priority list.

Other performance factors will be far more important then display resolution, no matter how high res you video source, now or in 5 years time. So the notion that 1080 displays are required for “future proofing” is false unless you intent to sit close enough to the screen.

These are pretty interesting figures. Where do they come from?

I live in a unit so I sit pretty close to the telly, but at most peoples houses you go to, the TV's are generally 4-5 meters away from the telly.

Does these new resolutions mean people will have to rethink how to design tv rooms? I mean people used to sit 4-5 meters away from there 63 cm tellys only a few years back.

I live in a unit so I sit pretty close to the telly, but at most peoples houses you go to, the TV's are generally 4-5 meters away from the telly.

Does these new resolutions mean people will have to rethink how to design tv rooms? I mean people used to sit 4-5 meters away from there 63 cm tellys only a few years back.

If you want to get the true value of HD you need to sit that close - but really, most people don't do that in a normal TV viewing situation.

Does these new resolutions mean people will have to rethink how to design tv rooms?

I would say no.....heck if you have 3-4 mtrs viewing distance you can get Samsung 56inch 720p DLP for $2600....DLP is easily better than LCD PQ overall, and also better than Plasma{7/05/07} for PQ.

LCD's advantages are size, durability/mobility and PC use.

The M81's are a good HDTV, ie HD signals, PS3, Bluray/PC desktop.....but I'm not so sure how it's gonna rate for DVD/FOXTEL.

In this particular instance, the advantage of the M81 is all it's features and specs, ie, 1080, 15 000:1 CR, 3xHDMI+ other upgrades over 2006 LCD.

Also, 40in M81 and 50in Plasma are close in price, but 10inches is a MASSIVE boost in size{56-62in is much better again...DLP}.

If you want to get the true value of HD you need to sit that close - but really, most people don't do that in a normal TV viewing situation.

As you'll see in my previous post, I sit pretty close (1 to 1.5 metres) and luuuurve all that detail. Hence my square eyes and glasses! :blink:

40” 1.6 meters

46” 1.8 meters

52” 2.1 meters

haha you are my rock Owen... whenever I get tempted by the 1080p marketing juggernaut I can always rely on one of your posts to bring me back down to earth! With a viewing distance of 3 metres, and a saving of over $1000, I'm going to stick with the 50" Q9 Plasma. (ps I'm not a Samsung fanboy, I just get their gear for cheap)

anyone know how to enable 1:1 pixel mapping on these through hdmi?

I've just had a quick look at the manual - try using the P.Size button on the remote to select Just Scan while on the HDMI input. According to the manual that will disable overscan, which I assume means that it's 1:1 mapping. (I believe you can also set this via one of the on-screen menus).

The figures are no secret; all the viewing distance calculators give the same figures because they use the “human visual acuity model” to figure out the maximum distance a normal human can resolve given resolutions.

I have personally tested my vision on resolution test patterns and concur with the recommendations of viewing distance calculators such as this one.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vie...ancemetric.html

I posted this info because people seem to have a misconception of what resolution they can see, and what size TV is required for 1080 viewing.

Even a 70” screen is only good for 2.8-3.0 meters for 1080 viewing, so you can see how ridiculous 4 or 5 meters would be on a small screen.

I've just had a quick look at the manual - try using the P.Size button on the remote to select Just Scan while on the HDMI input. According to the manual that will disable overscan, which I assume means that it's 1:1 mapping. (I believe you can also set this via one of the on-screen menus).

p.size just changes it from 16:9 to 4:3 and back. for the help tho.

I must be blind because i can't find it anywhere.

The viewing distance discussion is an interesting one. I am a big fan of crystal clear images, both in still and moving images, so the desire for a 1080p display has always been strong. Moving into a new place in a weeks time and very excited about getting my first big screen to start my HT setup and the M81 was looking perfect on spec. I have not been able to view one yet and will ofc wait until then before a final decision ;P

My plan was to get an AV reciever with HDMI 1.3 switching and upscaling to 1080p and run all my video sources through it to take advantage of what the screen can do. While I realise that upscaled content is not true HD content but I figured it would be better than not upscaling and will give current content a new lease on life. Some of the video processing that the AV recievers can do these days is supposed to be pretty special. Eventually looking to go blu-ray or HD DVD if/when things settle down a bit.

The other important consideration in all this is what size screen my wife will let me get away with in the new place ;P Guess I might just have to push the sofa closer to the screen =)

p.size just changes it from 16:9 to 4:3 and back. for the help tho.

I must be blind because i can't find it anywhere.

Checking out the downloaded manual states that:

"In PC Mode, only "16:9" and "4:3" mode can be adjusted"

"Just Scan Mode is available only HDMI mode"

So you may need to change to HDMI mode to get your 1:1 mapping.

Checking out the downloaded manual states that:

"In PC Mode, only "16:9" and "4:3" mode can be adjusted"

"Just Scan Mode is available only HDMI mode"

So you may need to change to HDMI mode to get your 1:1 mapping.

It is connected using hdmi. Still can't see justscan anywhere in the menu