New Samsung 1080p Models?

Yeah sorry...next week (1st week of May). Another interesting thing he told me was that the prices of the other panels will go down a little bit as well. So there are plenty of options available!

Yeah, well that's a given ... but you'd be a sucker not to pay a little bit more and get the M series, anyway, which has nuuuuuumerous improvements over its predecessor.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well that's a given ... but you'd be a sucker not to pay a little bit more and get the M series, anyway, which has nuuuuuumerous improvements over its predecessor.

Not sure that I'd say you'd be a sucker. It's all about making choices. If I got a really good deal lke under $2,000 for the LA40R71B I would have to really consider it.

That raises an interesting question though -while the LA40F71 can't be found anymore what happens to the old models? Does Samsung get them back or do the stores have to sell the stock cheap?

Not sure that I'd say you'd be a sucker. It's all about making choices. If I got a really good deal lke under $2,000 for the LA40R71B I would have to really consider it.

Yeah, just my opinion ... and I'm talking about the 1080p F series, where the difference will be hundreds of dollars, not the 720p R series.

That raises an interesting question though -while the LA40F71 can't be found anymore what happens to the old models? Does Samsung get them back or do the stores have to sell the stock cheap?

There's a point where Samsung stop making the old models, then it's up to the stores to sell them off before then new models come out and push the prices of the old models down too much.

Looks like a DLP-based rear-projection TV that uses LED's.

Cheers. I'm not quite up with the terminology yet ...

On the same site they mention that Samsung are releasing TVs with built-in MPEG4 decoding tuners. Does this mean that some stations in some countries transmit H.264 encoded HDTV signals? Do the Aus digital broadcast standards allow for that?

im not sure about this motion blur thing on LCD

every time I see a blu ray movie on either a Sammy or Sony 1080p LCD it looks stupendous - movies that ive seen : Into The Blue ,X men, Fantastic Four; KOH- plenty of fast paced action all well reproduced. Sharp ,smooth mesmerising detail.

SD on LCD doesnt look as well handled I presume becuase of either the crappy internal scaler or the low bandwidth artifact ridden signal.

Yeah, just my opinion ... and I'm talking about the 1080p F series, where the difference will be hundreds of dollars, not the 720p R series.

Fair enough - I couldn't find a 1080p F series when I was looking for one to save the $s.

V - Frustrating after doing a lot of research to find out what I wanted and needed - being in a position to make a (mostly) informed decision and then have the model disappear. Store-after-store,

Me - "Have you got stock?"

Them - "Yeah!"

Me - "Really??"

Them - "Yeah.."

Me "Bet you don't"

Them - slightly unsure "I... better check." checks "Un that model is discontinued.."

im not sure about this motion blur thing on LCD

every time I see a blu ray movie on either a Sammy or Sony 1080p LCD it looks stupendous - movies that ive seen : Into The Blue ,X men, Fantastic Four; KOH- plenty of fast paced action all well reproduced. Sharp ,smooth mesmerising detail.

With the motion blur (which is in relation to the response time) on LCD, I generally say that it's something that you may notice and you may not. It's just like the moire pattern on DLP projectors or how some people can see a TV's scan lines.

Without going into a lengthy discussion, the SXRD suffers from a little SSE (Silk Screen Effect) and the Plasma is let down by very ordinary black level.

I can live with a little SSE but no way I could tolerate the poor blacks of the Plasma.

The extra 5” of the SXRD was also a significant advantage.

On that day I decided to buy the SXRD.

Let me guess... The $10,000 or so difference didn't make ANY difference in your decision? :blink:

Any Brisbane buyers keen for bulk buy?

I'm in the Toowoomba area but don't mind travelling to Brisbane for a good price. I'm looking at getting the 40".

Hells yeah! These things sound great! 46" for similar to the Sony X series 40"... :D

I'm going to Africa till the end of May though...

Is there anyway to get duty free or stamp duty free, or WHATEVER free TVs from going overseas? Besides taking them with you?

Let me guess... The $10,000 or so difference didn't make ANY difference in your decision? :blink:

Absolutely not, if the pricing was reversed I would not buy the Plasma because it does not provide the type of performance that I want.

Before we learned that Sony Australia was going to get the SXRD’s I was looking at importing the original 70” model from the US for around $17,000 landed, so the price of the 65” Panasonic was not a problem. Hell the annual depreciation on my car would buy the 65” Panasonic. I was actually surprised how cheap it was for a flat panel and it is certainly the only flat panel that I have even considered. If it where not for its poor black level I would have one.

I had also looked at the 65” Sharp LCD, and would not take one as a gift, a real shocker.

Price is no guaranty of performance.

Absolutely not, if the pricing was reversed I would not buy the Plasma because it does not provide the type of performance that I want.

Before we learned that Sony Australia was going to get the SXRD’s I was looking at importing the original 70” model from the US for around $17,000 landed, so the price of the 65” Panasonic was not a problem. Hell the annual depreciation on my car would buy the 65” Panasonic. I was actually surprised how cheap it was for a flat panel and it is certainly the only flat panel that I have even considered. If it where not for its poor black level I would have one.

I had also looked at the 65” Sharp LCD, and would not take one as a gift, a real shocker.

Price is no guaranty of performance.

Must be cool to be rich.

Hi all,

I have read all 12 pages of this thread - but am confused as to the model numbers of the new Samsung 1080's.

I am after a 40" 1080 - but want one from the new samsung range. What model numbers do I need to look for?

Ive seen references to F7, R series, and M8. What is the difference for all these?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have read all 12 pages of this thread - but am confused as to the model numbers of the new Samsung 1080's.

I am after a 40" 1080 - but want one from the new samsung range. What model numbers do I need to look for?

Ive seen references to F7, R series, and M8. What is the difference for all these?

Thanks

The F7 is the old model which is now being discontinued.

The R series doesn't do 1080p.

M8 is the one you should be looking at, It does the 1080p that you are looking for but it hasn't been released yet in Australia. People saying it's going to be around end of June beginning of May.

:blink:

I'm sure you considered it advantageous regardless...

Otherwise, you won't be 'rich' for very long!

I'm also quite incredulous that you'd buy a TV sight unseen for $17,000!

Were you just going to trust the reviews???

The plan was to fly to the US, check out the TV (Qualia 006 $13,500USD) ) and if it came up to scratch, ship one back to Oz air freight. The US models did not support 50Hz, which was a disincentive, but there where no other decent options in big screen digital TV’s at the time.

When it was clear we where going to get a version of the 70” SXRD here, I gave up the import idea, but I still expected it would cost over $10,000AU, based on the $6k plus US price of the second generation sets. The actual street price when released was nothing short of unbelievable. I payed a similar price in corrected terms for a 63cm CRT back in 1980.

I think people these days are so used to everything being cheap, that a TV with a $10,000 plus price tag invokes sticker shock. It’s not that long ago that a 60” Plasma cost $40k.

I remember my grandparents payed over $1000 for the 63cm first generation solid state colour TV back in about 1973. That was the equivalent of about $10,000 in today’s money, but ordinary people still bought colour TV’s back then, and did so without the aid of consumer finance or credit cards.

Sorry for the off topic rant people.

The plan was to fly to the US, check out the TV (Qualia 006 $13,500USD) ) and if it came up to scratch, ship one back to Oz air freight. The US models did not support 50Hz, which was a disincentive, but there where no other decent options in big screen digital TV’s at the time.

When it was clear we where going to get a version of the 70” SXRD here, I gave up the import idea, but I still expected it would cost over $10,000AU, based on the $6k plus US price of the second generation sets. The actual street price when released was nothing short of unbelievable. I payed a similar price in corrected terms for a 63cm CRT back in 1980.

I think people these days are so used to everything being cheap, that a TV with a $10,000 plus price tag invokes sticker shock. It’s not that long ago that a 60” Plasma cost $40k.

I remember my grandparents payed over $1000 for the 63cm first generation solid state colour TV back in about 1973. That was the equivalent of about $10,000 in today’s money, but ordinary people still bought colour TV’s back then, and did so without the aid of consumer finance or credit cards.

Sorry for the off topic rant people.

Of course it shocks people! $10,000 is a lot of money. :D For some people it's a TV versus a year's value in their child's tertiary education...

No-one compares two grossly identical products, finds out the price difference is ~300%, and doesn't factor it into the equation. :blink:

Who are all these wankers having a go at Owen......piss off you jerks......Owen is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world WRT HDTV, and he's prepared to share his knowledge.

What an ungrateful bunch of losers :blink::D

Okay.... Anyway before this degenerates into something unpleasent can we all get back to the thread's topic.

Has anybody got any news about the new 1080ps? I have been doing some google searches for information and the only links I find are to the thread.

You think it's cool to allow anonymous losers to rip into a genuine expert?

Im not a anon loser. If you have alook ive been here a long time, prob when you was in nappies. It was a joke tosser.

QUOTE(Owen @ Apr 29 2007, 10:38 AM)

Hell the annual depreciation on my car would buy the 65†Panasonic.

I for got to add to the rich part, must be cool to own a Holden also

Think of what i said about the Holden, you missed the whole point.

Who are all these wankers having a go at Owen......piss off you jerks......Owen is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world WRT HDTV, and he's prepared to share his knowledge.

What an ungrateful bunch of losers :blink::D

Who's having a go? I was just trying to point out that $10,000 is a lot of money!

Settle down mate, I'm sure Owen isn't offended! And if he is, I apologise, it wasn't my intention, and I read all his posts eagerly...

I've gone through whole threads ONLY reading his posts in fact!

So just relax, don't make this something it's not, and don't lower the standard of these excellent forums with that sort of language and flaming.

Im not a anon loser. If you have alook ive been here a long time, prob when you was in nappies. It was a joke tosser.

QUOTE(Owen @ Apr 29 2007, 10:38 AM)

Okay this is where I get off the bus.... What is with forums??? Everybody jumping down everybody elses throats. I don't who know is knowlegable, I don't know who is a noob - and I don't care. I am interested in learning more about TVs.

Everybody needs to take a collective breath, including me and get back to the point - these wonderful new, exciting Samsung TVs.