Soniq 32" Lcd $799 At Jb

Hi, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to know how this display goes with gaming on the Xbox 360. I noticed that one guy had issues with component input. Otherwise is it still a good image? Any motion blurring? Blockiness?

I ask because a friend of mine was given a similar, cheap brand lcd as a gift - One of those Conias: total trash :(

If you can shell out $900, I'd suggest you go for the Samsung 32" R81. It's got a built-in HD tuner and offers good performance for gaming, not to mention the 3-year warranty compared to Soniq's 1 year.

While you're at it, you could check out folks who want to sell their bonus Samsung 32" LCD for around $850.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there!

I am new here and have a question!

I see that JB are selling the 50" Soniq's for $1599.

I looked at it in the store and it looked good to me, but I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on this? Is it a good buy? I know nothing about tele's!

:)

Thanks so much everyone!

Lucyx

50" Soniq's for $1599.

Is it a good buy?

In one word - No !

$1650 to $1700 can get you a 50" Panasonic PX70 or 50" Samsung C91. The price difference is so minimal that it doesn't make any sense to buy Soniq any more.

Lol.. all the other 50" tv's seemed to be double in price - I didnt see any panasonics or samsungs at that price...

I CAN get a Samsung / Panasonic 50" with comparable specs to the Soniq 50" plasma for around $1700. I don't sit here making idle comments.

See this if you don't believe me -

http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/

or the price threads elsewhere on DTV Forum.

How about double-or-nothing odds - if I get the TV for around $1700, you pay the purchase price to the store + the same amount to me ? If I fail, I'll give you the TV for free.

One warning, though. Getting into this bet will leave you poorer by $3400 and you could get a 58" Full HD plasma for around that much !

I CAN get a Samsung / Panasonic 50" with comparable specs to the Soniq 50" plasma for around $1700. I don't sit here making idle comments.

How about double-or-nothing odds - if I get the TV for around $1700, you pay the purchase price to the store + the same amount to me ? If I fail, I'll give you the TV for free.

One warning, though. Getting into this bet will leave you poorer by $3400 and you could get a 58" Full HD plasma for around that much !

100% true re the 50" Samsung or Panasonic Plasmas at around $1700.

58" Full HD Plasma for $3400? That's not bad. Where? The hdtv pricing wiki doesn't appear up to date with this.

:o Hey - woah - I already said I was new here and didnt know much - there's no need to jump down my throat! I'm not sure if I am just missing the humour in your post or if you're serious.... I guess if your post was serious, then this is no place for a newbie... :huh: I never meant to insult you if that's what your 'idle comments' remark was about. Wow - I just came here for some help... :o

:o Hey - woah - I already said I was new here and didnt know much - there's no need to jump down my throat! I'm not sure if I am just missing the humour in your post or if you're serious.... I guess if your post was serious, then this is no place for a newbie... :huh: I never meant to insult you if that's what your 'idle comments' remark was about. Wow - I just came here for some help... :o

Don't be too alarmed Lucyloo, kulfi seems to making this into a regular habit as of late........

The Soniq screen is an average performer in regards to black levels, contrast & service levels but it does have good sound quality from it's detachable speakers. But for a few bucks more a panasonic would be a better and wiser choice.

The problem will be finding a new Panasonic PX70A 127cm plasma...this is now a superseded model and there seems to be bugger-all left around stores in Melbourne. I managed to get the last one at a local store last week and paid $1600 plus about $260 for an extended warranty. The P9 Samsungs seem to be getting scarce as well. I couldn't find any when I was looking for one last weekend. If you're after a super-cheap panel then you could pick a Conia 127cm plasma with integrated HD tuner (supposedly Panasonic Panel) for around $1300. I've seen the set in operation. PQ is fine. Only one HDMI input and longevity is anyone's guess. Some people have very fortunate experiences with Conia stuff whereas there are others that might say differently.

I over-reacted and I'll apologise. However, I have seen too many users who scoff at good prices that can be had. One person was even kind enough to tell me "I was blind and couldn't tell a tranny hooker from the hot chick next door."

I guess what set me off was your comment "Lol.. all the other 50" tv's seemed to be double in price - I didnt see any panasonics or samsungs at that price...". It's not that funny now that their prices have crashed and certainly misleading to a lot of customers out there who could get somthing better.

To digitalhome,

My comment on the Hisense will remain till they slash their price by 30%. Then it will make sense.

Phew! :) Thanks all.

Well if anyone knows where i can get these Panasonics or Samsungs let me know! They sound great!

As someone who knows NOTHING about TVS, this is a great place to find on the net! Salespeople in stores seem to know nothing! I can never get a straight answer! And they always try and sell you the $5000000 model! :)

Well if anyone knows where i can get these Panasonics or Samsungs let me know! They sound great!

If you want a Panasonic PX7A (entry level 42" plasma with inbuilt HD tuner, just bought one myself instead of the Soniq), print this out and take to DSE or Myer and get them to price match. Use the fact that it comes with a free HDMI switcher to bargain the price down an extra $100. And when buying from DSE make sure they sell you a new one from their warehouse, not a display model.

cheers

OK STUPID question time... whats a HDMI switcher ?

Lucyloo, no such thing as a stupid question...

We're always learning, and anyone who thinks they know it all, is a fool.

With regard to the advice given by others, if you are considering a Plasma, then as others have stated, you could purchase a Panasonic or Samsung for very little more than the Soniq and almost certainly get a better performing, better supported set.

There is really very little, to no real price advantage to the 'second' or 'third' tier manufacturers anymore, and with many of the larger makers leaving the market (Hitachi, Fujitsu, etc - I'm guessing Philips will be next) I'm betting things are only going to get more brutal for these guys as Samsung, Sony and the like get ready to go at it again in another round to gain market share - (check around this has been reported fairly widely, but it means there are some very good buys around).

• 2 weeks later...

<SNIP>

Looks like I should have followed this thread hey, if I had have been more decisive in my TV choice 2 weeks ago and read this I might have been able to get one of those cheapy 70a's :/

Appreciate your response in the other thread either way, I am leaning towards the 80a over the Soniq now, considering the 80a can be had for 1860 (if I recall)

• 9 months later...
Guest spludgey

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but can anyone verify that the QV321LH has a built in HD tuner?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bramt1503560357

Got one of these today from JB Melb for $675, Soniq 32" LCD model QSL322T.

PQ is fine, not the best but you get what you pay for. Front plastic looks nice, but just one problem: Sound output. The RCA analogue audio output only seems to work with TV and composite video. If you are watching HDMI, YPbPr or even VGA, the sound that is output through the internal speakers is correct, but through the RCA outputs the sound comes from whatever station the built-in analogue TV tuner was last tuned to. Very odd, I spent an hour trying different combinations but couldn't fix it. Kinda annoying if you want to send the sound from a HDMI device to an amp...

Guest bramt1503560357

Rang soniq tech support, and apparently its 'supposed' to do that. That the RCA jacks only output analouge+digital TV, can''t output sound (or video) from other sources. Asked if they do firmware updates, and if this is going to be fixed, said they haven't done any firmware updates, and that he doesn't think the internal PCB interconnects would allow it anyway.

Doesn't explain exactly why when I put the Dark Knight BD into my PS3 all I can hear is Playschool...seriously why? It means the analogue tuner is powered all the time, burning power.